AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-10, 19:19   Link #181
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
hey, atleast its not WoW X'D
Old 2009-06-10, 20:45   Link #182
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
They certainly did that to me with my studies. It is just because he is the younger brother, they tend to be more lenient with this behavior.
The baby of the family, of course. We first-borns get to be the guinea pigs, and the youngest kids get more experienced parents. Experienced parents = more patience and leniency.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 21:11   Link #183
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
The baby of the family, of course. We first-borns get to be the guinea pigs, and the youngest kids get more experienced parents. Experienced parents = more patience and leniency.
Eh being the youngest has its cons as well (Me being the youngest out of four). The pressure that your parents expect you to do better than the the other members of the family is extremely stressful. Also, since my parents do not want me to make the same "mistakes" as my brothers did, so they limited a lot from me. But that is only my family.

Relating the subject, I have absolutely no idea how to stop your brother from being such an addict. If I was in your position, I would try to leave the house and become completely independent from your parents. IMO, the only thing that may help your brother is him realizing what a fool he has been.

Still kind of confused how your brother gets extremely addicted to Counter Strike / Starcraft. Both those games tend to get boring and dull after a couple of hours (through my own experience).
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 21:27   Link #184
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
Relating the subject, I have absolutely no idea how to stop your brother from being such an addict. If I was in your position, I would try to leave the house and become completely independent from your parents. IMO, the only thing that may help your brother is him realizing what a fool he has been.

Still kind of confused how your brother gets extremely addicted to Counter Strike / Starcraft. Both those games tend to get boring and dull after a couple of hours (through my own experience).
Well, games that allow you to communicate with other people are the addictive types, at least for me. Maybe it's the chance to be someone else in a different enviroment than your daily life, like acting out your favorite storybook or having a second social life. I love the idea, and I've gotten hooked on a few MMOs; but I seem to be cursed (or blessed, I'm not sure yet ) with a short attention span that won't let me get hooked on anything, no matter how much I like it, for more than a couple of months at a time. Unless it's studies, of course.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 21:43   Link #185
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
~Update Status: Now he has started on StarCraft, and literally he has been sitting around; swapping from CS to StarCraft whenever anyone invites him. All of his online friends are just prolonging this detoriating behavior, and by motivating him to play further - he becomes easily susceptible to playing even longer.
Available options really depend on your brother as a person, your family dynamics (which sound rather unhealthy), and your relationship with your brother.

In general, a person who is addicted to anything will be too focused on their addiction to care about much else. Whether you forcefully try to remove them from their addiction, or whether you take the gentler approach and tell them that you're worried about them, they're likely to react poorly. Understand that you can't be the one to kick their bad habits or their addictions - that change has to come from within themselves.

The somewhat common advice (particularly from those who have overcome addiction themselves) is to let the addict burn himself out. That is, to let him reach that point where he wakes up one morning and asks himself what he's been doing with his life, and suddenly is freed from his addiction. That can be painful to watch, and there's always the risk that they won't shake it off until it's too late and they've missed many opportunities.

Is there any way to speed that process up? Maybe; again, depending on some of the factors I mentioned before. If you and your brother are (or were) close, then trying to pull him away to do other activities might help to speed the process up. Getting him into trying to meet girls, or getting him out and into a variety of other hobbies can help to do the trick. You want him to be interested in doing something else.

In my mind, the issue may not be the games that he's playing, but rather the community aspect. He's probably highly at risk for that especially if he doesn't have many (or any) offline friends. In that case, his playing the game is equivalent to hanging out with friends. The internet is wonderful in that you can do such a thing. The curse to that benefit is that you can have friends in virtually every single timezone, meaning that there is never a time out - you desire to be online and active, lest you should miss something that's happening with your group of friends.

However, the benefit of that is that time spent away from internet friends (where many things happen very quickly) can result in a lack of interest. Suddenly the latest jokes and goings-on are unfamiliar (among other things) - you're almost an outsider. The longer you're away from the community, the harder it will be for you to re-acclimate to it, and the less your interest will be in spending time there. I guess I've been addicted to such social games and services before, and those observations are based on my own experience. (Of course, if you have offline friends who are well-connected to the greater online friend group, things become much more difficult.)

Most likely the only thing you can actively do is try to put the idea in his head that he could be doing something better. Whether you want to use a positive provocation (trying to entice him into other things) or a negative one (trying to make him feel bad/pathetic about what he's doing) is up to you and depends on the circumstances, although I'd imagine that the negative solution is to be avoided in most cases. (And since he's part of a greater gaming circle of people who may be equally addicted, it probably won't be very effective, either.)

You may also want to consider where his gaming addiction is coming from. If he has no friends offline, that may be it. But is he running from something? Your parents may favor him, but are the family dynamics so unstable that it's painful for you and/or him? In some cases, restoring the balance to some other aspect of his life might remove that behavior.

Lastly, bear in mind that nobody here is a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist (that I know of). If things develop to a critical point, you may want to seek the advice of a professional therapist/counselor.

Good luck.
Old 2009-06-10, 22:00   Link #186
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Tell him to go apply to be a boarder at a private high school...he'll become a lot more independent and mature that way. It certainly shaped me a lot.

Plus - having fun and hanging out with REAL people was a lot more fun than trying to play a really REALLY laggy game.

So if private high school isn't an option (well there's financial aid, they give a lot out),, as in he won't take it seriously, then just make ur internet service shit. I'm pretty sure he'll be pissed playing a CS game if everything's laggy and he gets killed...he'll probably be so damn frustrated he'll break the disc!

Problem solved mehbeh?

edit:

WoW? Man, eveyrone keeps talking about how great/addicting that game is...don't u just click and level up? Most boring concept in my mind. I've never played it, and i don't intend to either.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:00   Link #187
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post

WoW? Man, eveyrone keeps talking about how great/addicting that game is...don't u just click and level up? Most boring concept in my mind. I've never played it, and i don't intend to either.
It's one of those games that looks lame, but when you actually start playing it takes over your head. The lack of time to dungeon at max level is the main reason I quit the game. Pretty glad I did. Btw it is not a point and click game.
Rawgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:04   Link #188
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Most MMOs are never as simple as "point and click". How to secure your equipment is like economics: It's both a science and an art. Same with using your skills.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 00:44   Link #189
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Most MMOs are never as simple as "point and click". How to secure your equipment is like economics: It's both a science and an art. Same with using your skills.
Like Runescape? Lol the game is too simple that bots are made early on since its inception.

Starcraft isn't that bad. RTS games are my favourite genre, all that strategy sets you thinking. It is more like a complex version of chess which you can build units.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 01:17   Link #190
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I don't play Runescape. First MMO experience was with Guild Wars, then Granado Espada. Currently playing Dragonica.

On RTS, somehow, I've lost part of my love for it. I hope Starcraft II would rekindle the flame. From what I've heard, there is a grand strategy element to it. If combined well, I'm going in.

Old 2009-06-11, 01:20   Link #191
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Like Runescape? Lol the game is too simple that bots are made early on since its inception.

Starcraft isn't that bad. RTS games are my favourite genre, all that strategy sets you thinking. It is more like a complex version of chess which you can build units.
ahhh i prefer FPS games. Takes a different type of skill + strategy which i like...though i've been blessed with a curse i suppose, i'm (not to brag or anything) naturally good at FPS games, whether on the PC or the 360. I've pretty much climbed to the top with just 1 hour of play every two weeks, and at times i don't play for a few months.

It's weird, and it almost makes me sad/mad. The game gets so boring so fast. And thats why i play matches with a few good friends, which usually entails playing better people.
Old 2009-06-11, 01:21   Link #192
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On that note, L4D is the type of FPS I'm gunning for. You WILL have your ass kicked without serious teamwork in the campaigns.

Old 2009-06-11, 01:58   Link #193
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
On that note, L4D is the type of FPS I'm gunning for. You WILL have your ass kicked without serious teamwork in the campaigns.
never played the game, might pick up the 2nd game in the series when that comes out if the reviews are good, but heard it gets boring fast, so i never bought it.

Plus i had cod5 bonus game zombies to screw around with, funny as HELL when i first played it with a friend. We were screaming our pants off, screaming like little girls running around and going OMG U FORGOT TO SEAL THAT WINDOW!!!

or OMFG NOT THE RAY GUN STILL!?!??!
Old 2009-06-11, 02:16   Link #194
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, get a few buddies (3 max, or 7), head down to a LAN shop and have a shot. The game isn't made to last hours and hours of play. However, to chill out for the night, the campaigns will also have you and your buddies screaming like little girls: OMG THE HUNTER IS ON ME!

or WTF WHY CANT YOU LEAVE THE WITCH ALONE??!!

Old 2009-06-11, 02:22   Link #195
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Well, get a few buddies (3 max, or 7), head down to a LAN shop and have a shot. The game isn't made to last hours and hours of play. However, to chill out for the night, the campaigns will also have you and your buddies screaming like little girls: OMG THE HUNTER IS ON ME!

Eh, never been big on campaign. Just ownage on xbox live and gamebattles matches, or some MLG with some of the better pros i've come in contact with...T2, snip3down, legit, walshy, and occasionally the ogres, though im not that tight with the ogres. Can't say i like their attitude.

Walshy gets a bit annoying sometimes too

I would've joined one of the top teams if i actually played. Same goes for my friend. We just don't play enough. They practice like 5 hours a day. I play 1 hour a week/two weeks haha
Old 2009-06-11, 02:51   Link #196
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:

WE WANNA CROWN HERRR.......

Well me and my hardcore gamer friends are planning to get together sometime to play L4D. It is the teamwork that makes the difference in this game because unlike other shoot to kill games, friendly fire is always on, and theoretically it is impossible to finish it alone (unless you plan to run through the entire map, I did it on Dead Air's first level though xD).

IMO, L4D may be violent, but it should be considered an educational game to teach teamwork.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:58   Link #197
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Whoa, nice one avoiding the Hunters and the Smokers.

Old 2009-06-11, 03:19   Link #198
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Whoa, nice one avoiding the Hunters and the Smokers.
If you run fast enough they won't even spawn. Really.

Old 2009-06-11, 16:39   Link #199
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
hey, atleast its not WoW X'D
Edit: I have Left 4 Dead as well but my brother doesn't seem to have an interest in these kinds of games. Although, Left 4 Dead is a counter-part towards Counter-Strike, but having a different playstyle, more teamwork influenced, and I find it exciting to have hordes of zombies just come at you.

Nope he has World of Warcraft as well, and the only reason he got a job was to pay for his monthly fees. God knows how he splits up the time to play 3 individual games. But the repitoire usually goes in this cycle: WoW 6+ hours, Starcraft 3+ hours, and Counter-Strike 10-15?
Old 2009-06-11, 21:22   Link #200
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Edit: I have Left 4 Dead as well but my brother doesn't seem to have an interest in these kinds of games. Although, Left 4 Dead is a counter-part towards Counter-Strike, but having a different playstyle, more teamwork influenced, and I find it exciting to have hordes of zombies just come at you.

Nope he has World of Warcraft as well, and the only reason he got a job was to pay for his monthly fees. God knows how he splits up the time to play 3 individual games. But the repitoire usually goes in this cycle: WoW 6+ hours, Starcraft 3+ hours, and Counter-Strike 10-15?
lol he doesn't sleep :X?

Yeah...hes more addicted than i thought...scar-ishingly addicted. I didn't think that was possible. I usually just stick to 1 or 2 games at most, but then again, like i said, i only play 1 to 2 hours every week/two weeks.

You should just sit him down when he's NOT playing (of course that seems like it's rare) and talk to him...say something like, you know i'm really worried about you. You're getting underweight, you're not spending the time with the family...you're digging yourself in a hole by playing those games all the time.

P.s. - if you can't find him when he's off playing, go unplug the internet cable stuff from the outside of your house so that his internet isn't working, and just tell him to wait until it gets abck up to play, and in the meantime have a chat with him.