AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-19, 21:12   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

TV Scanlines

Apparently, I decided to take screenshots of the PS2 games I play but I keep on noticing tons of scanlines on the screen yet those scanlines aren't visible when I look at the tv screen but it appears on my mobile screen.

In that case, I am assuming that it has something to do with my cheap tv set but it appears that every television has scanlines. It makes me wonder.. How do people take screenshot of console games that doesn't show any scanlines at all? Perhaps, they used emulators but that doesn't make sense since some of these console games don't work on all current emulators.

Is there some sort of program that enables taking screenshots during PS2 gameplay?
Old 2009-05-19, 21:52   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
One way of doing it is using a Gamebridge, but it's not compatible with Vista since they don't produce them anymore.

Another alternative is using a USB TV Tuner/capture card. Make sure they don't have a built-in encoding device and the encoding is done by computer or you will experience lag.
Old 2009-05-19, 22:25   Link #3
cyberbeing

It seems you are taking a photo with a digital camera, so you need to adjust your shutter speed.

If you are in a NTSC region, try a shutter speed of 1/30, 1/60, or 1/120 and see what looks best. Using 1/60 should produce the sharpest image on a 60Hz CRT.

If you are in a PAL region, try a shutter speed of 1/25, 1/50, or 1/100 and see what looks best. Using 1/50 should produce the sharpest image on a 50Hz CRT.

If you have a tri-pod, use it. If not, make sure to keep your hand very steady so you don't get a blurry image.

Edit: I just noticed you are using your mobile phone, so you may be out of luck for getting clean images of your TV.
Old 2009-05-20, 00:54   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Thanks for the quick replies.

Apparently, I am using a mobile phone and it does not allow the adjustment of shutter speed. As you can see, the quality of the screenshot is quite poor and the fact that scanlines appear on it just makes it look worse than it already was.

It actually looks worse than this depending on the distance of the screenshot. If taken more closely, the scanlines would appear more large.
Old 2009-05-20, 01:19   Link #5
cyberbeing

Check to see if your mobile phone has a night mode for taking photos. Using a night mode should slow down the shutter speed.
Old 2009-05-20, 03:41   Link #6
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I'd invest in a cheap capture card for your PC.... I got a cheap one for 10 bucks from newegg and its what ive used to capture all my videos on youtube form 360/PS3/PS2. It will save you alot of hastles if you plan to be captruing alot... if you can get your hands on a good card that does 480P you could use the component cables for PS2 and take some higher quality pics/videos.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 10:31   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
I'd invest in a cheap capture card for your PC.... I got a cheap one for 10 bucks from newegg and its what ive used to capture all my videos on youtube form 360/PS3/PS2. It will save you alot of hastles if you plan to be captruing alot... if you can get your hands on a good card that does 480P you could use the component cables for PS2 and take some higher quality pics/videos.
Does it mean that you actually play your console while it is connected to a pc? I thought that isn't possible.. I have seen tons of gameplay videos on Youtube and NicoNico that are quite high in quality but I doubt they were playing off an emulator as that there isn't a perfect working one right now, especially that some of those games were the special ones that are both large in size and have glitches even on the actual consoles.

I don't take screenshots of games that often though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Check to see if your mobile phone has a night mode for taking photos. Using a night mode should slow down the shutter speed.
I will try that sometimes later.
Old 2009-05-20, 20:36   Link #8
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I basically run my PC in place of a TV in my Home Theater setup, IF i had an HD capable capture card it would be better but they are $$$$ and fining one that can do 720P and 480P is a little hard(only like 3 exist). But i still use the VGA cabels for my 360 when not recording or anything since it looks better .. if i had the HD cap card i wouldn't need to though.
Old 2009-05-20, 20:50   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
IF i had an HD capable capture card it would be better but they are $$$$ and fining one that can do 720P and 480P is a little hard(only like 3 exist).
ATSC/QAM cards aren't all that expensive. I have a KWorld; sells for about $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...-Video-Devices

When you say "only like 3 exist" is that a result of your desire for 480p? Most cards support 720p out of the box, and some support 1080i/p.

My problem with video capture cards is that the channels I might want to capture are all encrypted; only the over-the-air channels are carried in the clear on most cable systems (I'm on FiOS).
Old 2009-05-20, 22:46   Link #10
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

I'm talking about a card that can take HD signals from Component video inputs or HDMI, Those cards you are talking about are for HDTV(broadcast) not capturing from devices like a Console.

Look for capture cards that can capture 480P, 720P and1080P though Component Video.

These 3 are Japanese. . .
Monster X
Earthsoft PV3
Earthsoft PV4

Only one what would be somewhat easily obtainable.
BlackMagic: Intensity Pro(no 480P, Means no PS2 capturing.)
Old 2009-05-23, 09:31   Link #11
Sides

The Hauppauge HD PVR is probably much more easier to get hold of than the Intensity Pro. Obviously there are some drawbacks with the HD PVR, i.e. hardware encoder, hence no loseless capture, but it should be fine for capturing footage from media devices, such as vcr, consoles, cable and satellite receiver boxes with component, composite or s-video output.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 15:05   Link #12
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Yeah i've seen that one, But since its USB i dunno how good it will be or how good/fast its hardware encoders are. I've ignored it because its an external USB capture device and i don't know how good it would be.

But you are right would be easier to get than the Intensity Pro, But Personally if i had to chose between that and the Intensity Pro, I'd go with the pro unless there was some good information on that device's quality/speed and such.
Old 2009-05-23, 15:20   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I use a Pinnacle Hybrid HD USB stick (which works on Mac and Windows) and I was able to play with my Nintendo Wii without any lag since it have no hardware encoders... I have yet seen a HD USB stick with Component inputs or let alone HDMI inputs with zero lag.
Old 2009-05-23, 21:11   Link #14
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Recently, I tested the night mode feature and it does help quite a bit. Apparently, depending on the coloring and brightness of the screen, the end result would be different. I have tested on multiple games and had different results each time:

Spoiler for Persona 3 FES:

Spoiler for Ar Tonelico II:

Spoiler for Growlanser III:

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-05-23 at 21:21. Reason: added P3 comments.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote