AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-26, 03:23   Link #2021
Aesthetic Shampoo

I just debuted as a barbarian in normal, and i must be the only person to die so much Why is this happening?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 04:20   Link #2022
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Interesting build, gonna try out evasive fire tonight. I've mainly overlooked it for Devouring Arrow+Ball of Lightning+Caltrops with Steady Aim and Cull the Weak.

Although I am not in Hell yet, what is your opinion on ball of lightning rune for Elemental Arrow once one gets to hell mode? Right now I am finding it one of the most useful AOE spells out there. Low hatred cost and the large cone of reach makes it my bread and butter for the moment alongside Impale with Impact for emergency stuns.

I am amazed you can get by without Vault, Caltrops, or Smokescreen. I am guessing Screaming Arrow must proc a lot.

edit: This may seem like a strange suggestion, but have you tried Rain of Vengeance with Stampede? For close quarters like in the Cathedral corridors its seems rather valuable.
You mean "Lightning Bolts"? It's a stun. Okey here's the thing, I actually played really really heavy stun pre-Hell. But the moment you walk into Hell you find out stun has become this stat that just doesn't work anymore. Essentially it doesn't work on elites (at least for me it felt like it only procs 20% of the time it used to), perma stun is almost non-existent; it might be that the balance just changed but anything to do with stun doesn't seem to be able to kill elites. Of course it works on normal mobs but it's pretty irrelevant to stun normal mobs in Hell. My screaming skull for example one-shots normal mobs; with the exception of fatties which just run away. And you have to one-shot or you die. It's killed or be killed. Fear seems to work fine on elites too. So if you get into an advantageous position and don't forget your bat, you can just spam it.

Now about Vault. Vault currently has a problem, evasive fire isn't perfect either but it has a really fast animation. Basically when you vault your character isn't moving until you've actually reached your destination, so for me for example vault in the middle of elites equals rolling forward and exploding. In addition I've seen videos of people playing DH and using Vault and honestly when I use it there seems to be a .8s delay before it initiates... which is pretty damn huge.

Evasive fire on the other hand is great for several reasons. First off, I don't have to move my damn mouse in the opposite direction and you often want to just go in the opposite direction (because there's fire, damage pits and lazors where the elites are coming from). The time you take to move the mouse is time you get killed in. Secondly I also like it because it's not a projectile base. But the main reason should be that it does the same damn thing as Vault with half discipline! It's not that hard to move and shoot it at an advantage and I've found it a lot easier (with practice) to use over vault -- again the reasonable animation helps a lot (might be I just lag on vault though).

Smokescreen lasts at most 1.5s now with the duration rune, 1s with out (tooltip has not been updated). SS wasted too much discipline to be viable IMO (I have 38 desc BTW and that build manages it pretty well). Shadow power is the way to go. Basically I have something like 16k hp and hit mobs for at the very least 17k+ damage so when I spam impale with this on it's a sort of invulnerability mode since I just heal damage faster the they do it to me (and they do it pretty damn fast). It's basically what I use against certain jailer situations or in a pinch when I need heal (pot and prep being on cooldown). With my disc I can spam it maybe 3 times for 9s of kind of invulnerable but not really. It's especially good on bosses just to get that HP back so you don't get oneshotted by a missclick/lag. Very indecisive on whether 30% life leaching is better then the 20% leech / 65% damage reduction version.

Caltrops. Elites don't care about it. Normal mobs should die in 1, 2 hits or you're in trouble. Really really heavy disc spender. I've used it, but it's too fiddly, very easy to waste your disc. Also the immobilization one seems to be the most effective, tried just about all except the damage one.

And yes I have tried rain of vengence. It's good when you don't have the damage yet to oneshot things and need that extra area damage to help out with swarms. It's cooldown so yeah pretty decent, used it with Anathema or whatever. It's one of my options for my Shadow Power slot (the only one with some options to it), the other option being Mines (used long fuse with relative success before; probably go with Scatter now that I have the level for it).
Old 2012-05-26, 05:15   Link #2023
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I just debuted as a barbarian in normal, and i must be the only person to die so much Why is this happening?
I died a lot too when i first started a barbarian. Got a lot better once i gotten Revenge for healing. Still, compare to my monk, my barbarian feels weaker in terms of defense. Probably just havent found a good combination of skill for my part.
Old 2012-05-26, 09:31   Link #2024
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Finally found the invisibility dyes. Damn why didn't I notice them sooner... so much better now.
Old 2012-05-26, 10:09   Link #2025
Nixl

Thanks for the response.

Ball Lightning is the first rune available for Elemental Arrow, it acts like Nether Tentacle, but without the heal. The damage and area of effect have proved very useful for me so far.

Vault is rather buggy for me as well, but I've had some not so fun delays with Evasive fire in which it was a second off and I still got struck. Perhaps that is a latency issue on my end, but vault seems somewhat more controlled for me at the moment, although the low disc cost of the Evasive backflip is nice.

What perks/passive skills do you use?
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 10:10   Link #2026
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Started a hardcore game with two mates, all three of us are Witch Doctors the results are hilarious. 9 Zombie dogs are as effective as a zombie wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Finally found the invisibility dyes. Damn why didn't I notice them sooner... so much better now.
As a monk I kind of wish I could use it on my weapons and shield, I just find it silly my weapon disappear when I attack and yet reappear in my hands when I don't.
Old 2012-05-26, 13:48   Link #2027
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I know that's why I'm playing DH and not Monk actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
What perks/passive skills do you use?
Well I have Grenadier when doing usual stuff (mitigates the rage of dying to stupid champions). Going in Kamikaze on the fast shitty bitch mobs is also fun. Switch it out for Tactical advantage on bosses. Usually just change skills around for boss encounters anyway, since boss trash can be handled with 1 key... typically.

As for the serious stuff, just go with the direct damage buffs: Sharpshooter and Archery. I'm on 2h-crossbow with crit build so sharpshooter is really good, and of course the 50% crit damage from archery is really good too. Could use some more on my items though, only at like +160%, and going by what I'm doing on Belial I think I'm not hitting hard enough. Then again, my hand is so sore when I got to him I couldn't aim for shit.....
Old 2012-05-26, 14:39   Link #2028
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
Tough as nails passive could help. You are also probably undergeared for the area you're currently in. Trying farming more gear, do some crafting, or if you really just want good gear fast try auction house.

Barbs can be tough. One player cleared Inferno with a barb and I'm sure there are others close to doing the same. I believe there's monks on their way to clearing inferno as well. Which is funny because EVERYONE at release believed that beating inferno was impossible with melee classes and now, after the well-deserved nerfs to some DH and wizard skills, it's the complete opposite.

(Note I have a DH and a Wiz well into nightmare so I'm not speaking from an entirely biased perspective)

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 17:24   Link #2029
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

When I read the description of Grievous Wounds rune on Impale I though it basically was "+100% extra crit damage" but apparently it's "2x damage after calculating crit"? Can someone confirm?
Old 2012-05-26, 17:36   Link #2030
problemedchild
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Just debuted in Inferno.
So far, not too bad. I know all hell breaks loose in Act 2, but so far in Act 1, it's somewhat managable even as a melee.
I mean sure, you die a LOT on the way, but why would you expect anything less?

Certain elite combinations seems impossible, but that's to be expected.
From all the whining and horror stories of "melee can't take a single hit from anything this game sux" are greatly exaggerated.
You need a stupid amount of resists as melee to be viable. My friend was finally able to tank Act 2 properly with 700+ resists. I personally feel it's overtuned, nothing as fun as kiting everything and everyone to advance in the game... as a Barb.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 18:21   Link #2031
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Old 2012-05-26, 19:53   Link #2032
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
^ basicly, How to solo Diablo like a little wuss.

It's not very "cool" when you do it that way. Theres no since of accomplishment or challange. I can easily solo him as my DH without kiting him like a wuss. maybe not THAT easy but Yea I don't want it to be THAT easy. its like doing the new Twisted Metal game on the hardest difficulty and using god mode.

Just talked to the person, they hated doing that video so its all cool.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2012-05-26 at 20:44.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 00:39   Link #2033
Aesthetic Shampoo

It is a sad, sad, sad day when you find that heroes don't carry over to other regions. AARRRGRRRGHHHH
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 03:19   Link #2034
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
^ basicly, How to solo Diablo like a little wuss.
It's a range class using range... personally I don't see the problem.
Old 2012-05-27, 05:35   Link #2035
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I'm a Monk who just punched Diablo to death on Normal Mode

And am looking forwarda to getting some Legendary Items!!

Just wondering

1) What Level/Difficulty do they turn up on.

2) Rares are yellow, but what colors are legendaries? Don't wanna accidentally sell or recycle it by accident that's all.

Thanks!!
Old 2012-05-27, 05:41   Link #2036
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
I...was rather underwhelmed. Leah kept me interested only for so long and I quit before finishing Act 1. Mashing 2-3 buttons - mainly 1 - with not much on offer on visuals or story (sorry, no offense to Diablo fans, but entering this anew in this stage - not much on offer to get swept up in) has been rather dull. Bored of this within a few hours was disappointing.

Seriously think of cutting ties with Blizzard if this is what they expect to be the gap-filler for half a year to their main product. Which I'm also tired of.
Old 2012-05-27, 05:46   Link #2037
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Just wondering

2) Rares are yellow, but what colors are legendaries? Don't wanna accidentally sell or recycle it by accident that's all.

Thanks!!
1) pretty much any level, there are low level legendaries as well

2) darkish orange

Legendaries are quite rare, rarer than uniques in D2. I've found 2 so far, low level ones unfortunately. Have yet to see a set piece.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 05:48   Link #2038
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Just wondering

Thanks!!
Legendarys are browny-orange colour. They will appear at any level after 10. They are a 0.05% drop compared to the set drops of 0.005%
Happy farming!
Old 2012-05-27, 05:48   Link #2039
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I...was rather underwhelmed. Leah kept me interested only for so long and I quit before finishing Act 1. Mashing 2-3 buttons - mainly 1 - with not much on offer on visuals or story (sorry, no offense to Diablo fans, but entering this anew in this stage - not much on offer to get swept up in) has been rather dull. Bored of this within a few hours was disappointing.

Seriously think of cutting ties with Blizzard if this is what they expect to be the gap-filler for half a year to their main product. Which I'm also tired of.

On the story side of things, I take no offense since D3's story is poorly written (though not as awful as SC2's writing) and does not even come close to approaching D2's levels of epic.
Old 2012-05-27, 06:01   Link #2040
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I don't play Blizzard games for their stories. Brood War is their exception and probably their crowning jewel.

That is why they are famous for their multiplayer. Not their writing skills. But it's still better than say... Capcom.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler