AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-23, 23:00   Link #901
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Given the Soulstones originated from the Worldstone (at least, that's what I remember of the extended story), I don't think the Black Soulstone came from the Falling Star.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 05:43   Link #902
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
^ Have you seen the Lore panel where they explain why the Burning Hells and High Heavens are fighting for? (how humans essentially are angel-demon hybrids who've got the power suppressed) Also supposedly there will be a lore book, the result of their refinement and consolidation of several elements in the story.

Anyway...



Highlights:
  • Companions will be end-game viable! ("listening to feedback" section)
  • In-combat skill swapping will be blocked. ("listening to feedback" section)
  • Normal difficulty is free-farm/casual. Does not have all the items, nor enchantments, etc. (estimated at 30% content, items, spells, monster skills, monsters, etc etc; of course the beta is not even 30% of that)
  • You can pretty much use the Money auction house for free if you want and don't even have to open your wallet or credit card to it since you can just use the money there as alternative gold and earn it by selling. There will be weekly limit of stuff you can put there.
  • They are trying to make it so when farming you don't just farm a boss or any given area.
  • Auction house (both I assume) will have an auto-matching system where it auto-finds items suited to your play style.
  • Co-op is not mandatory, everything is soloable, it's just for-fun.
  • When you find a set tome/book you actually learn all the pieces at once.
  • They are trying to make all builds in the game viable (even if one is a little bit better then another). They are not trying perfect balance but rather to let you build anything you want and have it work. Video examples of no-pet Witch Doctor and Melee Wizzard. (There was also Axe-Wielding Palandin-style Demon Hunter at one point)
  • They are targetting and removing synergy skills (example was counter attack activates on evasion, then you got a skill that adds evasion and another that gives evasion when you critical — so indirectly counter attack). They don't want you to feel forced in choosing X skill because you have Y skills, or feel stupid for not doing so.
  • They are cranking up the half-moon physics on all the characters (ie. over-exaggerated effects). Something like what they did with barbarian to make him work.
  • The beta is tweaked to give more or less unlimited mana since the regen items aren't in at that level.
  • At higher difficulty monsters will rape the shit out of you. (Testimony from employees with video)
  • Their philosophy (for the difficulty) is to start out casual and turn those casual player into the hardcore player. They also mention how if you are already a hardcore player you should be able to just breeze though the "casual" content so it's not much of an issue.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 07:11   Link #903
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Well, I am certainly not going to sulk or pretend I didn't say what I say.

I got two out of three issues fixed. That's two more than I expected after the Blizzard blue poster smashed me over the head with a hammer and spat in my general direction. The acknowledgement of solo gameplay in all difficulties (with multiplayer being optional) and viability of Followers past Normal.
Guess I wasn't the only one who was pissed off.

Unfortunately, the permanent on-line connection requirement is still a serious issue. So unless things change in my country concerning broadband proliferation, I simply can't play it.

On the bright side, I have changed my stance and will no longer consider Diablo III a bad game, gameplay wise. The downside is the Draconian DRM still prevents me from actually buying and playing it.

Not everyone gets stable internet connection.
It used to be that DIII was so bad I wouldn't play it even for free. Now with the changes, I would play it, if only I could.

Got to be considered an improvement.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 09:25   Link #904
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
It used to be that DIII was so bad I wouldn't play it even for free. Now with the changes, I would play it, if only I could.
How bad is the beta for you for reference?

I feel the same for the "always online" issue since it prevents one from playing when they can't really be online. But, can't play it ever seems just...
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 10:01   Link #905
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
How bad is the beta for you for reference?

I feel the same for the "always online" issue since it prevents one from playing when they can't really be online. But, can't play it ever seems just...
It's just that I am not prepared to shell out full price for an online game. Never have. But I might change my mind in the future.

Ideally I could just wait ten years until Blizzard release an offline version of DIII. Fate would decide if I am willing to wait that long, or if the game is good enough to force my hand as its price drops.

You have to remember that I am a Single-player gamer. Any and every flaw related to internet connection issues is unacceptable to me. I simply did not, and will never want, a permanent connection in order to play on my own. And since I don't intent to touch multiplayer ever, I get no benefits from it either.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 17:30   Link #906
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Do you think it's an attempt to stop piracy?

I mean generally speaking Blizzard makes good games and tons of money so it shouldn't be that bad.

Hell AVATAR made tons of money (even in places like China where it was even restricted in some areas) yet it was one of the most pirated movies of all time.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 17:44   Link #907
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Of course it is because of piracy. When you look at how many games go to any sort of convention with PC version for people to play with, but ship only for consoles, is there even any doubt how seriously the industry takes piracy these days. And rightfully so. Making the game hard to pirate or annoying for pirates, helps the industry and helps keep the honest consumer honest.

Meta-marketing like offering part of the game for free to try forever, or micro transaction based systems, help a lot too.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 18:03   Link #908
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Of course it is because of piracy. When you look at how many games go to any sort of convention with PC version for people to play with, but ship only for consoles, is there even any doubt how seriously the industry takes piracy these days. And rightfully so. Making the game hard to pirate or annoying for pirates, helps the industry and helps keep the honest consumer honest.

Meta-marketing like offering part of the game for free to try forever, or micro transaction based systems, help a lot too.
Help keep the honest consumer honest?

What kind of goal is that? Why would you need to keep honest consumers honest?

That's a funny way to say "treating honest customers like they are thieves".
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 19:34   Link #909
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Because in reality there ARE a lot of thieves out there. That is why we lock our windows and doors, and install an alarm system to our cars.

Why must honest customers at a supermarket spend 5 minutes to line up at the cashier when they can just have a single person by the exit to collect the money as you walk past him?

Why should we still "follow" traffic regulations when there is no other cars on the street 3am in the morning?

Why waste so much money in police and military when various other civil projects need funding?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 19:49   Link #910
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Because in reality there ARE a lot of thieves out there. That is why we lock our windows and doors, and install an alarm system to our cars.

Why must honest customers at a supermarket spend 5 minutes to line up at the cashier when they can just have a single person by the exit to collect the money as you walk past him?

Why should we still "follow" traffic regulations when there is no other cars on the street 3am in the morning?

Why waste so much money in police and military when various other civil projects need funding?
When the "honesty" feature stops me from using the product, a line has been crossed.

If a honest customer at a supermarket needs to submit to a full cavity search at checkout, a line has been crossed.
If every car can't move faster than walking speed, a line has been crossed.

At some point the producer has to stop feeling like they are entitled to being paid by making their customers suffer. They making money by selling products I want to buy, that's the end of the line. And yet here you are saying it is fine to make the product worse and yet assume that it would lead to more sales.

Happy customers = sales. But somehow that has been forgotten. Now, producers assume their product will sell no matter what they do to it, and that they can make it worse and actually make more money. I am not simply a tree that grow gold coins. I expect a product. And I will not buy an inferior product.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 20:04   Link #911
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Yet that line is different for every person. Someone within Blizzard figured out that the loss of 5%* of their total customers (including loss to bad publicity + strict DRM) is better than the loss of 15%* of their customers.

Reality is no fairy tale. Can't blame them.

*figures are made up ofc.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 20:59   Link #912
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Yet that line is different for every person. Someone within Blizzard figured out that the loss of 5%* of their total customers (including loss to bad publicity + strict DRM) is better than the loss of 15%* of their customers.

Reality is no fairy tale. Can't blame them.

*figures are made up ofc.
If you make things up, then it is hardly reality.

There is no proof that DRM lets them gain customers. Never had. You can argue about the possibility, but the fact is there is no proof.
However, it IS proven that aggressive DRM hurt sales of customers who originally wanted to buy them. I KNOW Blizzard has lost my sale. That is factual. Which is more solid than your mythical 15% increase in sales, which isn't backed with anything as you say.

Who is the one living with reality, and who is the one living in a fairy tale?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 21:37   Link #913
TheForsaken
Winter is coming
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
There is no reality or fact here, because the game hasn't been sold yet.

Flying Dagger just said "Someone within Blizzard figured out that ...".
That's it.
Blizzard thinks that it's more profitable for them this way. Otherwise, why did they make the decision?
Whether it's a right decision, we can't know until Diablo 3 is out.
__________________
TheForsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 21:57   Link #914
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
There is no reality or fact here, because the game hasn't been sold yet.

Flying Dagger just said "Someone within Blizzard figured out that ...".
That's it.
Blizzard thinks that it's more profitable for them this way. Otherwise, why did they make the decision?
Whether it's a right decision, we can't know until Diablo 3 is out.
If it is the right decision we would know it by now. This isn't the first game to demand draconian DRM, and the fact is there STILL is no proof that it helps sales. If the sales are good, it wouldn't be proof for anything other than there are people willing to buy the game, because you don't know how DRM change sales then you can't interpret the data.

We simply can't know. And here you are pretending we can. What is the magical number that proves anything? If everyone on the planet buy it does that prove anything? If no one buys it does it prove anything?

Please, do tell me; what is proof that DRM improves sales, and how you intent to do that with Diablo III once it comes out? Because you sound pretty sure you have the magical formula that no one in the gaming industry has. I would love to know what it is.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 22:13   Link #915
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
I believe the theory is that it improves sales because it prevents easy piracy (the kind were a friend makes you a copy so you can both play together) thus those people who would have scored an easy copy now have to go out and buy it instead.

The DRM, I assume, is a calculated risk based on the majority of Blizzards larger sales volume regions. Most of these places generally have access to stable cable, dsl, or other from of permanent Internet accesss that is not dialup. Even dialup, while slow, tends to be reliable, if expensive.

Six of so years ago I might have said the same thing about Diablo III's DRM, but now it isn't an issue since the Internet is (almost) always on (baring power failures or faulty equipment). At which point such a DRM doesn't effect me anymore. Back when I was playing Earth and Beyond on dialup it was a problem.

The only DRMs I have trouble with now are those that want you to log in every few days to keep everything stable (Spore did that I think, but I stopped playing Spore early on....I was dissapointed by that game).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 22:19   Link #916
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Businesses aren't dumb: there IS proof that effective DRM gains customers. Why would they spend money on DRM (either licensing the technology or including it in their design models - in blizzard's case: they rather pay for bandwidth and blades of VERY expensive servers around the world than to allow pirates to go wild). How do you know it is a fact there is no proof?

Read: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html. Not exactly a research you can quote on in a research paper, but its still a good read.
If you are low on time then jump straight to the conclusion.

A lot of these "DRMs don't work" conclusions comes from "old" non-net based DRM - things like secuROM, safeDISC: methods that can easily be cracked in possibly less than a day (and easily emulated to boot).

Other researches/statistics on DRM "not working" may also include other media, such as DVDs/BD/music, where there is no effective way to combat piracy beside attempting to change the business model (take anime for example: they can shift focus onto selling figures and other tangible goods). Software developers do not have such luxury beside falling onto microtransactions (this is not new: ever played crappy chinese/korean MMOs where those who paid have access to all these cool and fancy stuff?).

Remember the boycott against MW2 for dedicated servers? Tons of people signed the petition, and this happened:


There is actually very little public data on effects of DRM since such researches are often confidential as it involves data on regional licenses, etc (unless you work there and have clearance/just know people with access to such data).

Companies, esp Activision Blizzard, realize that a web-based system works (else they wouldn't be doing it, and wouldn't be so reluctant to implement LAN into sc2 knowing it is the #1 demand of the esports community).

Software developers, at the end of the day, is a business that has to pay its employees and answer to the shareholders. They are not charities that say, "ok, we have made enough money with this game, everyone can now play the game for free! Rejoice!" (although some publishers, such as CDPKT for TW2 does that to a certain degree).

If you want proof: I guess WoW can be a proof. Almost impossible to pirate (due to it being an MMO - there are private servers which are all very buggy, unstable, and outdated), and Blizzard has made billions off the game. D3 is simply WoW on a smaller scale in my eyes.

Another read:
Qiong Liu, Reihaneh Safavi-Naini and Nicholas Paul Sheppard (2003), Digital Rights Management for Content Distribution. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2011-10-25 at 22:48.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 22:56   Link #917
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Uh I don't think that's a good comparison.

Mainly because it's in regards to MP.

We are talking specifically SP. If people like Valient who have an unstable connection are unable to play it they simply wouldn't fork the money over. We tend to take the internet for granted.

I mean UBIsoft did a PC version where you had to be connected to the server at all times. After several gong shows they finally stated you just have to be connected to the internet when the game starts up which at least helps the situation a little bit.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 23:12   Link #918
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Uh I don't think that's a good comparison.

Mainly because it's in regards to MP.

We are talking specifically SP. If people like Valient who have an unstable connection are unable to play it they simply wouldn't fork the money over. We tend to take the internet for granted.

I mean UBIsoft did a PC version where you had to be connected to the server at all times. After several gong shows they finally stated you just have to be connected to the internet when the game starts up which at least helps the situation a little bit.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Blizzard should just label D3 as "an online dark fantasy RPG game with single player elements". Just as no one would expect to play Runescape, WoW or SWTOR (old republic) in "offline" mode.

Got shitty internet? Too bad - you can just try to play a little safer and pray you do not DC at the wrong place at the wrong time. I have had my own suffering of internet downtime - and getting stuck in a 14hr flight with a 5 hour wait at the airport - I know how it feels. Maybe the programming wizards at Blizzard would implement something smart enough that immediately freezes the state of the game as soon as your connection drops.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 23:32   Link #919
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Got shitty internet? Too bad - you can just try to play a little safer and pray you do not DC at the wrong place at the wrong time. I have had my own suffering of internet downtime - and getting stuck in a 14hr flight with a 5 hour wait at the airport - I know how it feels. Maybe the programming wizards at Blizzard would implement something smart enough that immediately freezes the state of the game as soon as your connection drops.
My internet is fine but there are times when my provider screws up or some idiot cuts the cord and internet is down for awhile.

I mean one time an electrical company working downtown accidently cut a cable line and shut down internet for that entire area. Needless to say people were not happy and it happens more often than you think.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Blizzard should just label D3 as "an online dark fantasy RPG game with single player elements". Just as no one would expect to play Runescape, WoW or SWTOR (old republic) in "offline" mode.
They might as well.

Just hope they don't start charging monthly fees to play the game.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 03:21   Link #920
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
My internet is fine but there are times when my provider screws up or some idiot cuts the cord and internet is down for awhile.
Lolz. Are you living in Asia area? It sounds just like what happened to me last month .
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.