AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-07-13, 09:15   Link #2561
Wrath88
Kissing...

This is what I'd call a good plot twist. And yet it's in the bottom 5... how unfair.
Old 2010-07-13, 10:42   Link #2562
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
not in the mood to quote, but from kumagawa's pov : kill everyone else who's special, then just kill yourself.
Last example I read that did this was Clear Note from Konjiki no Gash Bell. And considering Medaka Box appears to be aimed at a slightly older audience, I can see Kumagawa being that demented. He is already pretty screwed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Oh dear what? Metallica and Shikku are the next two cuts, than you're got SWOT and the other manga that started up and than you're got Metallica and Shikku's replacement mangas and than you're got SWOT and that other new manga's replacement mangas and than blah blah blah. None of that takes into account Hokenshitsu which I doubt hardly approaches the sales of Medaka Box.

Its like people haven't learnt a single thing over the last year...
Hokenshitsu hasn't even charted yet meaning at the least it hasn't been putting up 30K for most of its volumes so far while Medaka Box volume 4 quadrupled that mark.

While I do agree with you, I don't want to completely rely on the new series dying in this second year at the moment mainly because Hunter x Hunter is always a looming threat. Especially if Hokenshitsu doesn't start tanking again at such a time.

However, if Togashi pulls another 2 year hiatus like last time that should be enough to have the chapters needed for an anime which would cover us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
My comment was not directed towards the possibility of Medaka getting cut. I'm rather surprised about the fact that MB ends up in the bottom 5 even after Kumagawa's introduction. The fellow is pretty interesting from what i've read so far, one of Nishio's better creations and I expected that he would keep MB out of the bottom 5 for quite some time, though surprisingly, the JP readers seem to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
This is what I'd call a good plot twist. And yet it's in the bottom 5... how unfair.
The chapter with Kumagawa isn't ranked yet. I don't think it will be for at least another 3-4 weeks. Zenkichi's mom being ranked another 7 away from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
why are you people intentively dodging the main topic at hand - Zenkichi's mom a total milf, the ratings are sure to skyrocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i guess tankobon will increase by atleast 30K since all the lolicons are gonna get a piece of this
My Japanese sucks so I can't fully make out her character. And since Zenkichi already gets brought up enough in the thread as it is, I don't have much to say about how this personally effects him. I'm mostly waiting on the chapter to be translated before talking more about his mom.

While it would be...creepy if your prediction comes true she wouldn't be showing up until volume 7 which should be coming out in November. Unless they all jump on the back volumes...
Old 2010-07-13, 13:27   Link #2563
KLGChaos
The Shermain

The chapter that was ranked was where Zenkichi hugged Medaka and brought her back. I think people would have preferred to see him fight her instead of your typical shounen cliche incident. :P Not to mention, electric hands were a bit much. Lol. The chapter where Kumagawa first appears won't be ranked for 2-3 more weeks, I think (we've got to finish the King fight first).
Old 2010-07-13, 15:09   Link #2564
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
The chapter with Kumagawa isn't ranked yet. I don't think it will be for at least another 3-4 weeks. Zenkichi's mom being ranked another 7 away from now.
Spoiler:
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 17:59   Link #2565
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
New to this series so it's taking a while for me to catch up but I just had to say this:

LOL the killer guy cracks me up...so what do you do if countless swords,hammers,longass spiked hammers can't kill your "life"...bring out the magnum HAHAHA XD

Edit: scratch that, he just pulled out a rocket launcher from his ass HAHAHA

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 22:46   Link #2566
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
The chapter that was ranked was where Zenkichi hugged Medaka and brought her back. I think people would have preferred to see him fight her instead of your typical shounen cliche incident. :P Not to mention, electric hands were a bit much. Lol. The chapter where Kumagawa first appears won't be ranked for 2-3 more weeks, I think (we've got to finish the King fight first).
I was really hoping he had some supress power he was going to use to save her, then they have a flashback of why he can't use. but dangg, I do like this manga, but i think it deserves a little more credit than it gets, i don't find it that badd.
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 05:20   Link #2567
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
I was really hoping he had some supress power he was going to use to save her, then they have a flashback of why he can't use. but dangg, I do like this manga, but i think it deserves a little more credit than it gets, i don't find it that badd.
It's an acquired taste, like caviar. Some people didn't really like it in the beginning, many quit because of the sudden genre shift, others quit because Zenkichi became a side character for much of the manga, while others just can't stand Medaka. Some hate the randomness or don't find it funny.

Personally, I think it's an ok manga. Not the worst I've read, not the best, funny at times, with a lot of good concepts. I just feel it doesn't live up to Nishio's normally great works... Partially because the art doesn't really fit Nishio's style and doesn't convey the characters emotions too well (for example, Medaka's crying for Zenkichi came off fairly cheesy) and partially because Nishio's normal syle of character development doesn't suit manga. He needs a lot of words to make his characters come to life and he just doesn't have that luxury in this format, which I feel has lead to poor execution of some of the ideas. Still, I find many of the characters interesting, like Zen, Munakata, Unzen, Kumagawa and Kikaijima. Don't really feel much for the rest, except Medaka, who I dislike.
Old 2010-07-14, 09:40   Link #2568
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
He needs a lot of words to make his characters come to life and he just doesn't have that luxury in this format, which I feel has lead to poor execution of some of the ideas.
If/When it becomes an anime I reckon some Zaregoto episodes will just consist of one conversation.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 10:00   Link #2569
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
If/When it becomes an anime I reckon some Zaregoto episodes will just consist of one conversation.
There were a few Bakemonogatari episodes that seemed like that. :P But the art direction was so beautiful and the characters were so great, I didn't mind it at all.
Old 2010-07-14, 16:26   Link #2570
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

15 59,279 59,279 Medaka Box vol. 5=Week 1
16 42,418, 101,697 Medaka Box vol. 5=Week 2

Anything past week 2 will probably take a bit before it gets logged down anywhere since I expect it to drop off the top 30 next week. However, I expect a repeat of volume 4's performance and it will probably do 120K at least.
Old 2010-07-15, 13:24   Link #2571
Lummie

Even though I didn't expect this, there's some seriously awsome MB fanart out there:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lummie; 2010-07-15 at 13:49.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 14:03   Link #2572
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Even though I didn't expect this, there's some seriously awsome MB fanart out there:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wow those are good. Props to the person that did them.
Old 2010-07-16, 04:46   Link #2573
ShiroiRyu

And actually, we are only near the 52 in english translation.
You all follow the RAW, it's that ?
And when i read spoiler with MILF and others things i love ...:'(
It's look like i don't understand now what i read here because in 4-5 chapters, that so many things ...

Anyways, for the bottom : I'm not sure Medaka is in danger ...
I hate SWOT (because that take the place of Lock-on! i loved . <_<), Metallica Metalluca is just a mix of a lof of Shonen rules ...
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 10:37   Link #2574
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
And actually, we are only near the 52 in english translation.
You all follow the RAW, it's that ?
And when i read spoiler with MILF and others things i love ...:'(
It's look like i don't understand now what i read here because in 4-5 chapters, that so many things ...

Anyways, for the bottom : I'm not sure Medaka is in danger ...
I hate SWOT (because that take the place of Lock-on! i loved . <_<), Metallica Metalluca is just a mix of a lof of Shonen rules ...
Lol, i'm pretty sure alot of people agree with that about Metallica.

I do hate SWOT because it took Lock-On's spot also, and the fact that they changed it from the oneshot.

But anyway, i do follow the raws, Wonder what CXC & imangascans are doing, not that im saying they are slow or anything, but last i checked CXC blamed imangascans fore the late releases.
Old 2010-07-16, 10:40   Link #2575
Westlo
Lets be reality

Medaka is not in danger... Psyren will get the axe before Medaka... since it's had way moere volumes and keeps getting outsold by Medaka, Beezlebub and Kuroko as well as Sket Dance... but the new series keeps bombing anyway so it's moot.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 10:47   Link #2576
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Yeah, I don't see Metallica lasting too long... and SWOT was horrible from the first chapter I read. Medaka should be able to hold on, continuing to claw it's way over the corpses of other series. :P

Word is, Psyren is ending soon anyway as it seems to be preparing for the final arc. I think MB will be like Tanto was in Bakuman-- one of those middle of the road series that will never be outstanding, but won't be in danger of getting canceled, either.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:08   Link #2577
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see Metallica lasting too long... and SWOT was horrible from the first chapter I read. Medaka should be able to hold on, continuing to claw it's way over the corpses of other series. :P

Word is, Psyren is ending soon anyway as it seems to be preparing for the final arc. I think MB will be like Tanto was in Bakuman-- one of those middle of the road series that will never be outstanding, but won't be in danger of getting canceled, either.
I was going to read Psyren til i heard the main character's been missing for quite some time, But yeah, it'd take a while for Medaka to get cancelled, I mean it's one of the few series that's actually been good. If they make some minor changes it could be better But i definitly see quite a few more series ending before Medaka does, and i can't even picture how Medaka would end...Her getting married to Zen? Hilarious.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:10   Link #2578
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
I was going to read Psyren til i heard the main character's been missing for quite some time, But yeah, it'd take a while for Medaka to get cancelled, I mean it's one of the few series that's actually been good. If they make some minor changes it could be better But i definitly see quite a few more series ending before Medaka does, and i can't even picture how Medaka would end...Her getting married to Zen? Hilarious.
Sadly, Zen would be the one in the dress.
Old 2010-07-16, 11:39   Link #2579
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
Sadly, Zen would be the one in the dress.
Haha and in he last panel of the final chapter, he's in the kitchen cooking with an apron on. Hilarious ending.
Old 2010-07-16, 21:25   Link #2580
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:

Spoiler:
Absolutely love the one with the 13 Party. While its a shame the other 6 seemingly have gotten the shaft, I'm hoping something comes up with them in later chapters to make up for it. Even so, I appreciate and enjoy what Nishio did with the 7 shown here.

That being said, I'm surprised there is already art of Kumagawa while not exactly surprised about Zenkichi's mom. New fan favorites I wonder?

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Medaka is not in danger... Psyren will get the axe before Medaka... since it's had way moere volumes and keeps getting outsold by Medaka, Beezlebub and Kuroko as well as Sket Dance... but the new series keeps bombing anyway so it's moot.
While I agree with you on this, I'm already face palming because the last thing I feel like doing is battling the Psyren fandom if they decide to whine about Psyren dying and Medaka climbing over its corpse. Its a possible debate I don't look forward to because its going to be like explaining Ane Doki only several times more agitating because Psyren has far more fans on the net.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council