AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-03, 06:31   Link #421
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well I guess shes the type who does not care/understand much about intimate relationships. She can use kiss or use her body as tool to get what she wants, just like she uses Zen and others. In fact if needed I think she would not hesitate having sex with someone as well - she is that purpose-justify-the-means type of character. And they do not really make good romance interests.

Medaka is still kicking but with each passing issue the chances of survival are becoming more and more slim.
Thanks it's published in Shounen Jump, in any seinen/echii magazine we would already seen some smut/angst sex scene with Medaka. As I've said already, Medaka Box has plot (or rather a beggining of a plot) fitting for seinen/smut manga, not shounen/comedy. Character archetypes are fitting to smut story, not shounen. Ok, Zenkichi, Shiranui and Mogana - new treasuer, fits both to smut (as a victims) and shounen story, but rest of characters are hardly shounen type.

IMHO author of Medaka Box has agreement with SJ so he could do what he want with story till end of first arc (which even doesn't started yet), without risk of story being cancelled or forced to change it. If I'm wrong Medaka Box will be soon canceled.
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:38   Link #422
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Like the joke I made about the student council pres the time this manga first started... if someone comes to her saying he has a problem with the opposite sex and needs help, would she actually fulfill that request herself?

Doujinshi artists are going to love Medaka with her loving attitude towards everyone.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:38   Link #423
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Ever since ch 6-ish, this manga has been getting worse and worse. Other than looking at Medaka's wonderful figure, what else is there to expect from this manga?
Just wait. This is NisiOisiN, he knows what he's doing and he's setting up something interesting.

I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
Thanks it's published in Shounen Jump, in any seinen/echii magazine we would already seen some smut/angst sex scene with Medaka. As I've said already, Medaka Box has plot (or rather a beggining of a plot) fitting for seinen/smut manga, not shounen/comedy. Character archetypes are fitting to smut story, not shounen. Ok, Zenkichi, Shiranui and Mogana - new treasuer, fits both to smut (as a victims) and shounen story, but rest of characters are hardly shounen type.

IMHO author of Medaka Box has agreement with SJ so he could do what he want with story till end of first arc (which even doesn't started yet), without risk of story being cancelled or forced to change it. If I'm wrong Medaka Box will be soon canceled.
...You know those times, when I think you don't have any idea what you're talking about? This is one of those times.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:46   Link #424
Wargumm1i
Jinchuuriki
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I personally dont like Medaka now, okei she was fun in the last 5 chapters but now she is just becoming more well sluty and unfair character... but hey thats just my own personal option.

How Zenkichi actually continues too follow that person and do what she says is beyond me I mean has he also gotten his first kiss stolen by her??? for some reason im hoping not because she doesnt deserve it, im hoping for the hot babe with the glasses I think her name was Mogana for being Zenīs new crush or becoming the new crush of hers, since its obvious the reason why she tried too kiss him in the end of chapter 13 was because she reliesed she was falling for Medaka and becoming a lesbian and didint want that.
__________________
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:51   Link #425
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Given NisiOisiN's rep I think they would at least allow Medaka Box to go to tanks before thinking of cutting it.. and by than all the new series will be ranked as well.

Someone on mangahelpers posted the following...

Quote:
]List for some series' chapter ranking on Issue 41:

Ane Doki=chapter 2
Kagijin=chapter 1
Sket Dance=chapter 97
Psyren=chapter 78
Mago=chapter 66
Toriko=chapter 56
Bakuman=chapter 45
Kuroko=chapter 29
Beelzebub=chapter 20
Medaka (if continues until Issue 41)=chapter 10
Akaboshi (if continues until Issue 41)=chapter 9
I would say only Akaboshi is 100% going to get cut, Medaka would be fighting it out with Kuroko to survive and than we have 3 new series to throw into the mix to be cut.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:58   Link #426
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just wait. This is NisiOisiN, he knows what he's doing and he's setting up something interesting.
It better be coming mighty fast or else it'll be pointless. I don't care who it is, if what you write isn't popular than it get's bombed...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 07:33   Link #427
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just wait. This is NisiOisiN, he knows what he's doing and he's setting up something interesting.

I think.



...You know those times, when I think you don't have any idea what you're talking about? This is one of those times.
I also think NisiOisiN knows what he is doing, but he is walking on thin ice now - Medaka Box is not a story fitting for shounen magazine.

When author is creating a story he starts (most cases) with either characters, plot or world. First case: author creates characters, then determines their actions by their personality and so plot is developed. Most of romance and slice of life stories is created that way.
If author starts with plot (second case), author add characters and places fitting for desired plot. Plot in those stories is mostly some kind of "mission", most action and adventure stories is createt that way.
And lastly are stories based on conception of a world - most of fantasy and historical stories is created that way.

Good authors knows that people like to read/watch stories they already know, but with some small twists. So when creating a story archetypes and cliche plot development devices should be used. Some of them should be slighty twisted, and one or two completly reversed. Just visit tvtropes and you will see that most popular stories are made that way.

Medaka box is a character based story. IMHO main plot device is reversed misalliance - a story where boy falls in mutual love with girl of much lover social status. In such stories society (family, friends) oposes such love. Sometimes misalliance is joined with plot device where one of potential lovers founds how much he/she loves other only after losing her/him. Another twisted element of Medaka Box are archetypes - those used by author fits much more adult or even smut story than shounen. On the other hand almost all other plot devices used in Medaka Box are cliches.

I hope I've explained what I've on my mind
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 08:00   Link #428
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
I think NisiOisiN needs to remember he wrote the following in the Bakemonogatari novels... thanks go to sirn for translating this since this dialogue didn't get included in episode 5 of the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn
You still haven't answered me."
"......"
Answer, huh.
I'm sure she is talking about that.
"Um, Senjougahara. About that, I..."
"Let me say it beforehand, Araragi-kun. I hate those type of love comedy that you know the main characters will become couple at the end but only drag the story along with half-hearted 'more than friend, less than lovers' development."
"Is that so..."
"Even more, I also hate sports manga that the main character will surely win at the end, but drag the story along with 1 vs 1 match for a year or battle manga that last boss will surely be defeated anyway but spent the whole story on never-ending filler battles."
"Did you just denied all shoujo/shonen manga in existence?!"
"So, what will you do?"
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 08:56   Link #429
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I think the last member will make it or break it for this one. It seems Medaka has more faith in that Akune than Zen, and Zen is feeling he's out of place. It's time for him to put on some heroics to make Medaka 'love' him again.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 09:30   Link #430
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Like the joke I made about the student council pres the time this manga first started... if someone comes to her saying he has a problem with the opposite sex and needs help, would she actually fulfill that request herself?

Doujinshi artists are going to love Medaka with her loving attitude towards everyone.
First manga/anime has to be popular to attract doujinka's and Medaka Box is not really popular so even if theme could fit smut, if it continues to be so rather unpopular I doubt you will see many doujins about it.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 11:01   Link #431
Sinta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I have enjoyed the beginnings of this story but at this point its starting to get boring. Who wants to follow the exploits of someone who is perfect? The Medaka has no flaws does everything right all the time. does anyone else think that is...well...lame? Also, when you have someone like Medaka around how is even possible that anyone else can shine? Even if zen could do something "heroic" in the back everyone's mind we all know that Medaka could do it better. The premise of the plot is not one that can be maintained in my opinion. The very nature of characters creates problems that are very episodic in nature. Episodic stuff is ok for a while but if its just redoing the same thing over and over again it will get boring fast. Hopefully we'll move away from the character based story telling to some real plot development.
__________________
Free Ebook - Harmonics: Rise of the Magician http://amzn.to/qCBysY
Sinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 14:49   Link #432
gonzo562
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
yah same here. I enjoy the artwork and the first few chapters i really enjoyed.

The lastest chapters have been okay

Hopefully things start picking up soon
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 16:32   Link #433
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I think NisiOisiN needs to remember he wrote the following in the Bakemonogatari novels... thanks go to sirn for translating this since this dialogue didn't get included in episode 5 of the anime.
Exactly. I doubt Zen and Medaka will ever end up together.

This story is a twist on typical archetypes, like Arturro said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
First manga/anime has to be popular to attract doujinka's and Medaka Box is not really popular so even if theme could fit smut, if it continues to be so rather unpopular I doubt you will see many doujins about it.
...Isn't ToLoveRu at the bottom of those rankings? And yet the bound volumes sell ridiculously well, I hear.

Of course, smut, but...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 18:07   Link #434
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinta View Post
I have enjoyed the beginnings of this story but at this point its starting to get boring. Who wants to follow the exploits of someone who is perfect? The Medaka has no flaws does everything right all the time. does anyone else think that is...well...lame? Also, when you have someone like Medaka around how is even possible that anyone else can shine? Even if zen could do something "heroic" in the back everyone's mind we all know that Medaka could do it better. The premise of the plot is not one that can be maintained in my opinion. The very nature of characters creates problems that are very episodic in nature. Episodic stuff is ok for a while but if its just redoing the same thing over and over again it will get boring fast. Hopefully we'll move away from the character based story telling to some real plot development.
She isn't perfect. Her biggest flaw is this "I love everyone" trait and it's exploitable by people who are evil.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 18:17   Link #435
Arturro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cracow
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
She isn't perfect. Her biggest flaw is this "I love everyone" trait and it's exploitable by people who are evil.
I really doubt that "I love everyone" is her true nature. IMO it's just a mask.
__________________
I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 18:36   Link #436
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Well, let's hope she knows what she's doing, or rather NisiOshin knows what he's doing. And hopefully they get a solid VP (why not Shiranui?) and get this manga on track.

I still think he should have collabed with the Death Note artist, Obata Takeshi but I guess he's too busy with Bakuman.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 18:56   Link #437
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I dunno I like Shiranui the way she is. She's like a shining new toy that you keep in your pocket. Bring her out once in awhile to keep things lively and refreshing. Take her out too much and she starts to loose that new car smell and the surroundings will taint her.... Not sure what the hell I was trying to say, but her staying as a side character is her biggest asset imo...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 19:00   Link #438
Lostdreams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Lol it was funny, how every1 in the first grade recieved their first kisses from her.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 19:07   Link #439
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
We have to wonder what her '4th ability' is, all we know is that it's something that Zen can't talk about openly.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 19:43   Link #440
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
She isn't perfect. Her biggest flaw is this "I love everyone" trait and it's exploitable by people who are evil.
Well this is where Zenkichi comes in, he's there to prevent that from happening hence why she trusts him the most and why she needs him with her. Altho its not really been put to the test yet, hopefully that comes soon.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.