AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-08-31, 04:52   Link #621
ShiroiRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Beelzebub is a hit, it's been rating high most of the year and its not like TOC matters all the time. D-Gray Man did shit on the TOC but it sells better than every manga in SJ aside from OP, Naruto, Bleach and HunterXHunter.

It's to answer about the place of Medaka Box. ^^
I'm not afraid for that...
And for the main character, for me, it's Medaka...
She take all the scenes...
And the story is not coming from Zen view... (Like Haruhi with Kyon view)
But loved the end of your post : Zen VS a dog.
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 06:20   Link #622
Wrath88
Kissing...

Maa, is anyone here thinking this is going to be predictable in the battle part?

Medaka will 'convert' the kid, using her ability, maybe the 4th one.
The two guys are going to win because they're just that pro. One is like Judo prince, the other is super endurance guy.
As for the treasurer, I'm just not sure, she might be fit, but her combat ability is unknown.
Old 2009-08-31, 06:49   Link #623
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Argh this talk about Zenkichi being a side-char is making me scared. I could've at least convince myself that this is a comedy with romance on the side. This seems to be pure comedy, with a main pairing that'll never come to fruition.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 07:11   Link #624
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Argh this talk about Zenkichi being a side-char is making me scared. I could've at least convince myself that this is a comedy with romance on the side. This seems to be pure comedy, with a main pairing that'll never come to fruition.
I'm convinced that this is nothing more than a gag manga that tries to pretend that it isn't and in the end, isn't doing it all that well. You could cut it down to 10 pages and not much would change. :\ With Zen being a side character, just makes it worse.

@Wrath88: Yes, I already predicted earlier in the thread what will happen. Shaolinx even pointed out that I spoiled the arc with that. Hehe. She'll make some speech about how she believes in the council members, they'll pull through, she'll probably do as you said and use her fourth ability to convert the kid and take his virginity at the same time.'

The thing about Medaka is that there is potential there. As tvtropes says, an observant person can see that she doesn't have many friends outside of Zenkichi and that she doesn't understand people's feelings at all. Yet this is never once mentioned and touched upon and instead, the manga just spends more time trying to reinforce how perfect Medaka is. That's why it's getting so boring. There's so many juicy stories that can be provided from Medaka's flaws and so much potential for character growth for her and even Zenkichi, but we get nothing but fluff each week.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 08:02   Link #625
Sakuyakun

This manga is boring, nothing exciting going on. I'd say good riddance when it's gone.
Sakuyakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 08:02   Link #626
Jourdal

it just doesn't seem like the same series..Medaka was more varied personality wise BEFORE she became the center of attention imo.

What happened to her saying she'd be unhappy if Zen wasn't by her side, now Zen is just another member of the council...and worst she doesn't call him by his title (secretary Akune, Treasurer Kikaijima etc) she just calls him Zenkichi..whether this is a testament to how irrelevant his position is or whether it's an indicative of closeness..who knows?
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 11:22   Link #627
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Wow! that child bratty is awesome! just like me!! I want to destroy anything in my path too, I mean ANYTHING! ranged from Black Blooded human, Nuclear weapon, War hunger (weapon industry), Pollution, Imperialist country, Capitalism, etc.

Guess I'll still watch for this manga for a while and didn't drop it after this chapter come out.

Go on childy, rape Medaka I'll cheer you up I give you permission to mess her up
ups! did I say rape?! I mean ripe..but that's fine too
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 13:58   Link #628
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Maa, is anyone here thinking this is going to be predictable in the battle part?

Medaka will 'convert' the kid, using her ability, maybe the 4th one.
The two guys are going to win because they're just that pro. One is like Judo prince, the other is super endurance guy.
As for the treasurer, I'm just not sure, she might be fit, but her combat ability is unknown.
I think it's actually the opposite. I may be optimistic in thinking this, but I'm thinking that Medaka won't be able to beat the kid alone and will be forced to question whether or not people are inherently good. That's the reason we haven't seen much of the other characters, because the whole point was that Medaka used to do everything on her own. She'll have to depend on her other members, and Zenkichi will finally show his worth in a typical shonen-esque "The power of my will/love" fight. After all, we've all thought that Zenkichi will be the one who causes character development with Medaka; now's the perfect time for that, as it presents an obstacle which could possibly be too much for Medaka to handle.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like Shiranui, but doesn't really hate her either. In my opinion, she's just as infallible as Medaka, but we aren't reminded of it every chapter.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 15:24   Link #629
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I think it's actually the opposite. I may be optimistic in thinking this, but I'm thinking that Medaka won't be able to beat the kid alone and will be forced to question whether or not people are inherently good. That's the reason we haven't seen much of the other characters, because the whole point was that Medaka used to do everything on her own. She'll have to depend on her other members, and Zenkichi will finally show his worth in a typical shonen-esque "The power of my will/love" fight. After all, we've all thought that Zenkichi will be the one who causes character development with Medaka; now's the perfect time for that, as it presents an obstacle which could possibly be too much for Medaka to handle.
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like Shiranui, but doesn't really hate her either. In my opinion, she's just as infallible as Medaka, but we aren't reminded of it every chapter.
How many times have we expected that Zenkichi will get to play an important role, Medaka will be a bit unsure of herself and depend a bit more on Zenkichi and how many times have we seen our hopes dashed and dissapointed? I am pretty sure even in this arc Medaka will win out with her own powers and force her will on the 10 year evil kid.
Shiranui is awesome because even if she is infallible, she is funny, sarcastic, shows emotions, cares about Zenkichi and makes fun of people blackmails them and is evil and doesn't give a crap about Medaka as in a sense she is just as untouchable. That's why even if we are reminded of it every chapter we will still find her funny unlike Medaka who displays the same stupid perfection like a robot chapter after chapter and has essentially no special friends. As you can see how close Zenkichi is with Shiranui that the whole school finds it weird that they get along so well. Medaka is just an emotionless android.
Although I like the free-spirited Shiranui better, one good thing that will come if Shiranui joins the Student council, besides us getting to see her various hilarious evil actions and her getting under Medaka's skin, is, she and Zenkichi will obviously get along very well right infront of Medaka every day, and Medaka, might, just might, try and get closer to Zenkichi just to spite Shiranui because the only times Medaka has shown any sort of jealousy was when Zen was with Shiranui or punched his head xtra hard in the swim comp whe n Zen was shouting he loved Shiranui

Last edited by Dark Mage; 2009-08-31 at 16:08.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 16:23   Link #630
Arturro

As far as I know in Japanesse culture using someones first name without any sufixes or ranks is a sign of very close relationship. I have a request to any reader of this thread who could read kanji (or furigana). When Medaka is talking to, or about, Zenkichi is she using just his first name?

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:40   Link #631
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
How many times have we expected that Zenkichi will get to play an important role, Medaka will be a bit unsure of herself and depend a bit more on Zenkichi and how many times have we seen our hopes dashed and dissapointed? I am pretty sure even in this arc Medaka will win out with her own powers and force her will on the 10 year evil kid.
Shiranui is awesome because even if she is infallible, she is funny, sarcastic, shows emotions, cares about Zenkichi and makes fun of people blackmails them and is evil and doesn't give a crap about Medaka as in a sense she is just as untouchable. That's why even if we are reminded of it every chapter we will still find her funny unlike Medaka who displays the same stupid perfection like a robot chapter after chapter and has essentially no special friends. As you can see how close Zenkichi is with Shiranui that the whole school finds it weird that they get along so well. Medaka is just an emotionless android.
Although I like the free-spirited Shiranui better, one good thing that will come if Shiranui joins the Student council, besides us getting to see her various hilarious evil actions and her getting under Medaka's skin, is, she and Zenkichi will obviously get along very well right infront of Medaka every day, and Medaka, might, just might, try and get closer to Zenkichi just to spite Shiranui because the only times Medaka has shown any sort of jealousy was when Zen was with Shiranui or punched his head xtra hard in the swim comp whe n Zen was shouting he loved Shiranui
How many times has Medaka faced someone superior to her? The closest was the funds event, and in the end they weren't superior anyway. How many arcs seemed as if they'd last more than 2 chapters? This is the first time the manga could possibly have a long-running arc. How many characters are actually shown to be a match for Medaka in the beginning? I wouldn't use the previous chapters to make a prediction about this arc, since this one has so many differences than the previous ones.

Shiranui shows emotions? What does she do other than make snide remarks, hint that she's all-knowing, and eat? Medaka has shown more emotions than her, which says more to the lack of character depth in this manga than anything. I'm not saying Medaka's better than Shiranui [My favorite characters are the treasurer and Zenkichi], but that I think she's like Medaka.

I think the author decided that little quirks = emotions....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 22:41   Link #632
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Shiranui shows emotions? What does she do other than make snide remarks, hint that she's all-knowing, and eat? Medaka has shown more emotions than her, which says more to the lack of character depth in this manga than anything. I'm not saying Medaka's better than Shiranui [My favorite characters are the treasurer and Zenkichi], but that I think she's like Medaka.
Shiranui and Medaka are similar in that sense as people probably shouldn't try to oppose them, since Zenkichi did mention that Shiranui is as untouchable as Medaka.

One thing that I'd really dislike as a development is Shiranui joining, it's too cookie-cut. The fact that they actually mentioned that possibility makes me feel like it won't happen in the author's attempt to trick us, though feeble as it seems. My bets are still on Onigase joining since she seems to be showing signs of rebelling against Unzen. The reason Unzen won't join the student council, or for that matter conform to Medaka's philosophy, is because it would be a waste of a character. They already set him up as an equal to Medaka who is her main opposition and all things considered, an over-arching enemy. I figure they'll treat it as two opposing factions in the school, much in the same way that in Sket Dance the Sket Dan is rivaled with the student council.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 22:53   Link #633
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
How many times has Medaka faced someone superior to her? The closest was the funds event, and in the end they weren't superior anyway. How many arcs seemed as if they'd last more than 2 chapters? This is the first time the manga could possibly have a long-running arc. How many characters are actually shown to be a match for Medaka in the beginning? I wouldn't use the previous chapters to make a prediction about this arc, since this one has so many differences than the previous ones.
But Medaka still have her 4th ability up in her sleeve, so it is quite likely that it is all set up so we could see that, rather than character development.

She'll probably take kids virginity and it all end up at that. Then either he or Onigase joins.

If there would not be another her ability left for us to see maybe we could hope for some development, but so far it seems like just a setup to allow us to see Medaka's last ability.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 23:32   Link #634
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But Medaka still have her 4th ability up in her sleeve, so it is quite likely that it is all set up so we could see that, rather than character development.

She'll probably take kids virginity and it all end up at that. Then either he or Onigase joins.

If there would not be another her ability left for us to see maybe we could hope for some development, but so far it seems like just a setup to allow us to see Medaka's last ability.
so... lets see here if i remember her ability order correctly

1. moe face
2. hugs
3. kiss

so accordingly, the # 4 must be rape? seems logical to me and I dont think the kid would mind, he seems like a pimpsta.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 00:16   Link #635
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
so... lets see here if i remember her ability order correctly

1. moe face
2. hugs
3. kiss

so accordingly, the # 4 must be rape? seems logical to me and I dont think the kid would mind, he seems like a pimpsta.
it's probably medaka just admitting someone else is superior then bowing down to the other person.

It's funny how everyone is getting mad because it's not something they are anticipating. I love how Medaka is destroying everyone in sight simply because she is strong. There is no need for power levels, training, taking 10 chapters to learn a new technique.

It's like Ranma 1/2. When the arc is finished, everything returns back to normal.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 00:34   Link #636
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
it's probably medaka just admitting someone else is superior then bowing down to the other person.

It's funny how everyone is getting mad because it's not something they are anticipating I love how Medaka is destroying everyone in sight simply because she is strong. There is no need for power levels, training, taking 10 chapters to learn a new technique.

It's like Ranma 1/2. When the arc is finished, everything returns back to normal.
Your kidding right? Thats the first time I heard someone that likes an overpowered character that did literally nothing to gain that strength. Besides, what entertainment is there if you know that she will win no matter what and without much effort.

Also, I don't think she will ever bow down to anyone or admit defeat. Have you forgotten how proud she is?
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 01:05   Link #637
Johnny
Working the bags...

I think they'll go out for some ice cream, maybe play a little playstation after. Then return to school and fingerpaint with the blood of that class he slaughtered. About sums it up with how fast this chapter went to WTFville...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 01:14   Link #638
scrumly1

I would love this manga forever if they did just that.
scrumly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 11:28   Link #639
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Your kidding right? Thats the first time I heard someone that likes an overpowered character that did literally nothing to gain that strength. Besides, what entertainment is there if you know that she will win no matter what and without much effort.

Also, I don't think she will ever bow down to anyone or admit defeat. Have you forgotten how proud she is?
Actually at times I love a over powered character that can just "WTF PWNZOR!" at will.
Training sections of series are just boring and don't give way to any surprise, if they try to its then they just cut short the training at the end and have the new stuff shown in a battle straight after where its touch and go.

I'm a tad bored of seeing the "struggle" compared to some great owning.
Layfon from Chrome Shelled Regios was a great watch, apart from the emo-ness it was great to see the lad simply beat the crap outta anything in his way.
Old 2009-09-01, 12:34   Link #640
aahhsin

Quote:

I love an overpowered character in the beginning. It's a nice change from the weak loser, average joe, and determination leads to victory idea. Training is boring and wastes weeks of chapters.

Kenshin had this overpowered character right from the get-go and was still highly entertaining.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council