AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-03, 11:08   Link #6821
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
For 3 new characters, I hope they will be really strong, not to be beaten easily like a few characters who become like butt-monkeys.
Considering Saki's ability, I doubt she'll be beaten that easily. Since she can control people, this should amount to something interesting. Of course, at the moment, we aren't sure of what her role or her friends' roles are.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:28   Link #6822
summers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
They probably all work for Kumugawa. Its gonna be funny as hell, and Idol,voice actor and musician, they are going to be famous, everyone in the school will know them and then the rush Kumugawa, their boss. The Troll be getting all the ladies!
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:32   Link #6823
[HearT]
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm actually hoping they won't be working for Kumagawa, we need more enemies in this series, Not just Ajimu. I think it'll actually be fun if those three bring the school to hell after it finally became peaceful♥
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:35   Link #6824
Odd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers View Post
They probably all work for Kumugawa. Its gonna be funny as hell, and Idol,voice actor and musician, they are going to be famous, everyone in the school will know them and then the rush Kumugawa, their boss. The Troll be getting all the ladies!
I don't think so since the "battle" between Saki and Kumagawa ended in a draw, and she's a person who likes to be in control at all times.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:46   Link #6825
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
who is Saki?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:51   Link #6826
[HearT]
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
who is Saki?
Saki Sukinasaki is the girl with the creepy teeth and beret at the end, she appeared in "Good Loser Kumagawa"
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:52   Link #6827
summers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
Just wondering, what was the attitude of haters towards this manga? It seems almost every other comment from people in regards to the anime is "Take that, haters!". Was it that annoying?
You will understand when you read the early posts in the Medakabox forums, like here and at mangafox. Very annoying considering that they kept reading the manga that they claimed was so horrible that it would be cancelled. They were trolling.
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:53   Link #6828
summers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
I don't think so since the "battle" between Saki and Kumagawa ended in a draw, and she's a person who likes to be in control at all times.
She did support him for Student council though, so if she doesn't work for him, she could work with him.
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:56   Link #6829
Odd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
who is Saki?
Sukinasaki Saki. The girl who wears a mask and appeared in the Jump Next side story, Good Loser Kumagawa. Her power is controlling other skills, known as "error message plate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers View Post
She did support him for Student council though, so if she doesn't work for him, she could work with him.
I do understand she could work with him, but I just don't see that happening because of many different factors i.e. Medaka, he's working under Tachirai, etc.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 14:14   Link #6830
kingstonbeer
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Hmmm anyone else thinking that Zen's unknown skill gonna be as broken as hell everytime a new ability is introduced?

Look at Saki's control skill seems damn formidable.
kingstonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 14:52   Link #6831
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Wait, idol? Saki is an idol now?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 15:59   Link #6832
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Off Topic:

What is it Nishio and geniuses? I know Nishio is idea based and his characters tend be larger than life but why does he like geniuses so much?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:00   Link #6833
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Off Topic:

What is it Nishio and geniuses? I know Nishio is idea based and his characters tend be larger than life but why does he like geniuses so much?
He probably relates to geniuses better. That or they are just easier for him to write about. I wouldn't be surprised if both happened to be factors.
__________________
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:13   Link #6834
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Off Topic:

What is it Nishio and geniuses? I know Nishio is idea based and his characters tend be larger than life but why does he like geniuses so much?
Probably just his personal taste.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 20:04   Link #6835
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjtr View Post
Well that just means medaka and zenkichi arent meant for each other , i am rooting for zenkichi and ajimu .
Nah, I want a ZenXNaze :3
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 20:08   Link #6836
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Off Topic:

What is it Nishio and geniuses? I know Nishio is idea based and his characters tend be larger than life but why does he like geniuses so much?
Does Nisio writes genius alot? of his other 2 works Katangari and Montagari that i have neither focus on genius.

The normal Shounan Jump creed is normal people can beat genius if they work hard enough. With Medaka Box i think Nisio is going with "no matter how hard normal people work, they can't beat a genius who work just as hard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Spoiler for 132:
not the author but Aijmu who wants to succeed by turning Medaka Box into a crappy romance series and thus ending the manga.
__________________

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-02-03 at 22:05.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 21:52   Link #6837
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Does Nisio writes genius alot? of his other 2 works Katangari and Montagari that i have neither focus on genius.

The normal Shounan Jump creed is normal people can beat genius if they work hard enough. With Medaka Box i think Nisio is going with "no matter how hard normal people work, they can't beat a genius who work just as hard."

I guess that makes sense but even Nishio's "normal" characters tend to have weird quirks to them and what makes it awesome is that you like it. It is also probably a take that at the idea that hard work can overcome genius. That is not to say that genius is sole thing you need in life to succeed but you need hard work to keep you there. Subverting the hard work beats genius thing seems to be what Nishio is doing now.

Quote:
not the author but well Aijmu succed in turning Medaka Box into a crappy romance series and thus ending the manga
I am not into romance but I hope Ajimu doesn't end it as a shitty romance manga.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 21:59   Link #6838
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Nishio likes to write about two things: geniuses, and failure. His very first book/series, Zaregoto, is about a main character who is both of these things. Similarly, with slight spoilers for Kizumonogatari, the Bakemonogatari series is also a story about failure. As a matter of fact, you could call Shichika (from Katanagatari) a failure too. In Medaka Box, we have two characters who seem to be embodiments of "genius" and "failure". However, I'm sure that if anyone were to genuinely accuse Medaka of being a "genius", the one most offended would be Nishio himself.

Nishio likes to write about geniuses because he has often been called a genius. On the other hand, Nishio often writes about failure because he has a deep personal understanding of failure. I think that the contrast between supposed "potential" or "ability" and reality is at the core of at lot of Nishio's works.

I've got a copy of Nishio's first book (Zaregoto Book 1: the Kubikiri Cycle) in my hands right here, and I'm looking at the afterword. The whole thing is something of an essay on the concept of genius, but there are references to characters and personalities within the actual novel which people who haven't read it wouldn't get. I can't really be arsed to parse it and try to extract the references though, so I might as well just post the whole thing; here you go, straight from the mouth of Nishio Ishin, a full decade ago now in 2002:

Quote:
Let's imagine for a moment that what you hold in your hand is an extraordinarily enthralling work of fiction of the highest order. As you know, that's not truly the case, but let's pretend. Now let's say you finish reading it, and in that very instant, you scream: "This writer is a genius!" I don't know if you would really scream that sort of thing, but let's say the writer of this book is oft the subject of such praise. But such expressions sound not unlike excuses of the common man, as if claiming, "That person is a genius; in other words he's of a superior race totally separate from you and me, so of course he can do things we can't do" or something to that unseemly effect. "We're not to be looked down upon, we're simply looking up." And indeed that statement is correct, but I can't shake the feeling that something is off there. When it comes down to it, I don't think it's a very good thing to rely too much on this word genius. Moreover, not all geniuses are so evaluated. Or rather, most genius goes unnoticed. Meanwhile, those who achieve some sort of result are arbitrarily given the label and people forget that it's really a complex issue based on factors such as effort and environment, none of which should be written off as "genius" if you ask me. Now, it really is a complex issue, so I won't get into the nitty-gritty of it, but when a person sets out to do something, you've got to consider natural-born talent, skill, and effort, not to mention luck and fate as well, so it seems to me that the term genius is putting it all too simply.

That said, you may find yourself a bit surprised by the number of times that word comes up in this book. You've got Ibuki Kanami, Sashirono Yayoi, Sonoyama Akane, Himena Maki, Kunagaisa Tomo, and Aikawa Jun.

The narrator uses every possible opportunity to utter things like "because she was a genius" or "that's just what you'd expect from a genius." But as to whether any of these women are really true geniuses, well, that's a sketchy matter. From their personal standpoint, it's probably more like "if you just do whatever you want all the time, you'll be labeled a genius." Or no, I'm sure they'd have more to say about themselves, but if you asked Ibuki Kanami about it, she'd probably just say, "What do you mean 'genius'? You're just extra dumb." Kubikiri Cycle is an installment in the Zaregoto series that depicts geniuses gathered on an island, and yet there isn't a single genius there.

In having this book published, there were so many people looking after me that this author almost doesn't know whom to thank. If this book can be called anything good, it's thanks to the efforts of these people as well as the bookstores. Incidentally, this puts me in the nerve-racked mindset that if this book turned out to be bad, it's my fault alone, but at any rate I would like to extend my utmost special thanks to the editor-in-chief Katsushi Ota for his goodwill and guidance, illustrator take-san, and Ryusui Seiryoin for decorating this book with undeserved endorsement.

--NISIOISIN
Nishio Ishin writes about genius because genius is misunderstood. He also writes about true genius to illustrate the envy of those who're falsely labelled geniuses. Nishio writes about failure because everyone, even geniuses, often fail--and as a matter of fact, it is often even the geniuses whom can fail most spectacularly. Those are the feelings behind Nishio's works--as someone who is not a genius.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-02-03 at 23:38.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 22:42   Link #6839
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Nishio likes to write about two things: geniuses, and failure. His very first book/series, Zaregoto, is about a main character who is both of these things. Similarly, with slight spoilers for Kizumonogatari, the Bakemonogatari series is also a story about failure. As a matter of fact, you could call Shichika (from Katanagatari) a failure too. In Medaka Box, we have two characters who seem to be embodiments of "genius" and "failure". However, I'm sure that if anyone were to genuinely accuse Medaka of being a "genius", the one most offended would be Nishio himself.

Nishio likes to write about geniuses because he has often been called a genius. On the other hand, Nishio often writes about failure because he has a deep personal understanding of failure. I think that the contrast between supposed "potential" or "ability" and reality is at the core of at lot of Nishio's works.

I've got a copy of Nishio's first book (Zaregoto Book 1: the Kubikiri Cycle) in my hands right here, and I'm looking at the afterword. The whole thing is something of an essay on the concept of genius, but there are references to characters and personalities within the actual novel which people who haven't read it wouldn't get. I can't really be arsed to parse it and try to extract the references though, so I might as well just post the whole thing; here you go, straight from the mouth of Nishio Ishin, a full decade ago now in 2002:



Nishio Ishin writes about genius because genius is misunderstood. He also writes about true genius to illustrate the envy of those who're falsely labelled geniuses. Nishio writes about failure because everyone, even geniuses, often fail--and as a matter of fact, it is often even the geniuses whom can fail most spectacularly. Those are the feelings behind Nishio's works--as someone who is not a genius.
Hmmm isn't that pretty much common sense. Still doesn't explain his focusing on it. Practically anyone that's reached any reasonably high level of learning (which I assume most people do) realises that natural talent only gets you so far, and that natural talent may in fact come from a host of reasons independent of inate ability such as your family and background, as well as your hobbies and what you enjoy doing. But that alone won't take you to the heights of any field. Hard work is and always will be most important. A person with a good work ethic is far more valuable than a genius with a poor one.

The vast, vast majority of genius' end up living a life a mediocrity. Why because, they rely on that talent and don't work hard to improve and surpass it and so those that have worked hard eventually surpass them. If your a genius at maths at age 15, if you don't work at it it's very likely you'll be surprassed by age 20 maybe less and so on.

Quite often people simply lable people genius' because they simply can't fathom the work put it and choose not to. They set barriers and excuses as to why they cannot do those things, when in all honest if they really, really tried they probably could do it, or at least something comparable in scale. Really inate intelligience simply a matter of persepction, certain people simply grasp certain things easier than others due to life experiences and inate dispositions. No one is all knowing so we all have various views and persepctions of the world around us, these perspections allow us to grasp certain things easier than other things. Really that's all intelligience is.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 00:41   Link #6840
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Hmmm isn't that pretty much common sense. Still doesn't explain his focusing on it. Practically anyone that's reached any reasonably high level of learning (which I assume most people do) realises that natural talent only gets you so far, and that natural talent may in fact come from a host of reasons independent of inate ability such as your family and background, as well as your hobbies and what you enjoy doing. But that alone won't take you to the heights of any field. Hard work is and always will be most important. A person with a good work ethic is far more valuable than a genius with a poor one.

The vast, vast majority of genius' end up living a life a mediocrity. Why because, they rely on that talent and don't work hard to improve and surpass it and so those that have worked hard eventually surpass them. If your a genius at maths at age 15, if you don't work at it it's very likely you'll be surprassed by age 20 maybe less and so on.

Quite often people simply lable people genius' because they simply can't fathom the work put it and choose not to. They set barriers and excuses as to why they cannot do those things, when in all honest if they really, really tried they probably could do it, or at least something comparable in scale. Really inate intelligience simply a matter of persepction, certain people simply grasp certain things easier than others due to life experiences and inate dispositions. No one is all knowing so we all have various views and persepctions of the world around us, these perspections allow us to grasp certain things easier than other things. Really that's all intelligience is.
Haha, well if you think so, go on and apply that to Medaka then. Medaka's whole character is about convincing others she's not a genius. Her goal as a Student Council President is to remove those obstacles, those barriers and limitations, which prevent people from finding something they love and pursuing it passionately until they actually achieve something. Medaka's current abilities are also the result of unfathomable amounts of hard work borne from a desperation to reach out and help people. Her position where she stands right now is also the result of countless contributions from people who were generous enough to reach out to her.

Medaka's own perspective has always been that she's not anyone special, that it is possible for anyone else to do what she has done. She's devoted her entire being towards proving that, to helping others prove themselves. If Medaka was lucky to have received the aid of others, then there is nothing shameful about receiving aid from her. That's why, Medaka isn't some who should be seen as an enemy who has to be "beaten", or a tyrant who tramples over other people. Rather, her goal is to help everyone become happy. So to answer her, people should simply become happy themselves.

It's not that "geniuses" have an easier time accomplishing things. In the end, anyone's accomplishments which are actually worth anything come down to the efforts they have put into them themselves. That's why, rather than envying or being antagonistic towards people who've actually accomplished something meaningful, it's always better to look to them as inspiration. If you truly believe yourself equal to someone like Medaka, there is zero reason to fear or to hate her. I think, that's the challenge that Nishio is ultimately pushing for with her character, at the end of this story. Everyone hated Medaka, pretty much, near when this manga started. However, as we come to realize just how serious Medaka (and Nishio) is about the idea that we are all just as capable as her, that hatred should fade away.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.