AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-04, 08:46   Link #681
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Super Medaka on the rescue. LOL what a load of crap. We were thinking its a make or break arc and once again its Medaka, Medaka AND Medaka. This just goes to show how little she trusts the other council members and finally showed us that the author doesn't want to develop the other characters at all and confirmed that Zenkichi is worse than a side-character. What BS no interaction between characters, no insight into Medaka's character, no delving into her past or her friendship with Zen, its all about her various strength chapter after chapter. Its like the author doesn't even want to rescue his position in the rankings.
Are you basing your opinion of this weeks chapter after only seeing 4 pages, or have you actually read the chapter yourself?
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 09:11   Link #682
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
yes but all those 4 pages pretty much showed that she beat them all herself doesn't it? Well but I will be pretty happy to be proved wrong though as I want this manga to get better as I liked the one-shot and the beginning of the weekly. But I think those 4 pages are pretty much all there is to it because the other pages are mostly likely filled with Madoka spouting her love-talk with the 10-year old
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 09:16   Link #683
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Are you basing your opinion of this weeks chapter after only seeing 4 pages, or have you actually read the chapter yourself?
I think he's basing off the same trend that we've gotten for the past 16 chapters. And it's all been about Medaka and her strength and from the little we've seen, it hasn't changed and has in fact, most likely gotten worse. She solving everything on her own with her massive amounts of unrealistic strength and it's become really boring. There's absolutely no sense of conflict or tension. A meteor could be hurling towards earth, ready to destroy it and she'd just punch it and save the world.

It's a fine concept for a superhero story, but this is a school life manga. It doesn't fit. Plus, as any great comic writer will tell you, a hero needs something to struggle against or the whole thing will collapse. Even superman has his weaknesses and enemies that can take him the distance. Medaka truly has been untouchable so far and it completely destroys any suspension of disbelief, especially when surrounded by a cast that no one cares about. I think the reason many people who dislike the manga's direction keep reading it because it's like a train wreck. It's horrible, but for some reason, you can't look away until the mess is cleaned up.

Though, I admit, the chapter did something that I didn't expect. However, what may have happened looks like it was even worse than what I expected. Unless the mangaka is setting Medaka up for a big fall, he's going to find more and more people who were holding on for something better will finally say "screw it" and just drop it.

@Dark Mage: I was looking at that part where you mentioned delving into her past. I was actually mulling over it this morning. I was thinking that if the manga did go into her past more, not even explaining her super powers, but instead at least explaining why she has such severe emotional issues (and anyone with half a brain can tell that she does), it would be a good thing. Maybe her parents never really loved her so she's trying to fill the void by helping everyone. It would also explain her cold attitude. Maybe kids in elementary school were actually afraid of her and she was isolated. Sadly, we get none of this, even though it would allow people to empathize with her and most importantly, humanize her.

A good example is when we learn about Kikaijima and how alone she felt because people turned their backs on her because she was poor. It helped you to relate to her character.

We've had a couple of flashbacks for Medaka, however, even in the flashbacks, all we get are more descriptions of her strength-- from winning a ton of cash to stealing everyone's kiss. We get no insight into who she is or why she's like she is. A main protagonist that no one can relate to never leads to a good end. Rankings aren't everything, but they are an indication of people's feelings on something. People obviously aren't happy with the way Medaka Box is going, but nothing seems to have changed. :\
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 10:47   Link #684
ShiroiRyu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: France
Age: 27
ARF !
Really disappointed about this chapter...
Why we can't have other fights ?
But only that ?
Pfff... Need to saw the whole RAW...
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 15:52   Link #685
aahhsin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Super Medaka on the rescue. LOL what a load of crap. We were thinking its a make or break arc and once again its Medaka, Medaka AND Medaka. This just goes to show how little she trusts the other council members and finally showed us that the author doesn't want to develop the other characters at all and confirmed that Zenkichi is worse than a side-character. What BS no interaction between characters, no insight into Medaka's character, no delving into her past or her friendship with Zen, its all about her various strength chapter after chapter and the other members are just there for the ride. Its like the author doesn't even want to rescue his position in the rankings. I didn't want to say this but I think its high time Medaka box is cancelled and a better manga takes its place. I only hope the japanese think te same way as I do and contribute in once again keepin Medaka Box low in the rankings.
I'm glad the author is doing something new. It's refreshing for a change. If i wanted to read about someone crying about not having a father, and grow in power with 100 chapters of training, i'll read Naruto.

Quote:
This just goes to show how little she trusts the other council members
This here is probably what you want then. she doesn't trust them, everyone leaves, she cries.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 15:55   Link #686
Iron21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
She defeats them all by herself.


I understand that Kakaijima might need help, but did Zen and Akune really need their ass saved too.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 16:09   Link #687
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
This here is probably what you want then. she doesn't trust them, everyone leaves, she cries.
Idiot. She will kick their asses and bring them back. If they would still try to escape her claws, she would use her 4th attack - she would rape them and they would love it! And if someone would not like being raped he/she would become a super-bad and twisted villain out of sudden! Why? Duh, because they are denying Medaka's pleasure and it is an ultimate crime in medakaverse!

Besides if Medaka would feel sad she would kick sadness ass too since she is Medaka. Superman is nothing against her. She defies physic and logic. She loves everyone but cares about no one. Meet the super-hypocrite heroine of the new era - Medaka!

PS I would not be surprised to see her being able to fly and do kamehameha in the next chapter.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-09-04 at 16:21.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 16:10   Link #688
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
I'm glad the author is doing something new. It's refreshing for a change. If i wanted to read about someone crying about not having a father, and grow in power with 100 chapters of training, i'll read Naruto.


This here is probably what you want then. she doesn't trust them, everyone leaves, she cries.
What change has the author done...? Same ole same ole to me, Medaka does everything while everyone else is obscure figures

I believe they were looking for not trust, but have faith that your fellow council member can handle things on their own. Big difference from what your alleging...
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 16:33   Link #689
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
I'm glad the author is doing something new. It's refreshing for a change. If i wanted to read about someone crying about not having a father, and grow in power with 100 chapters of training, i'll read Naruto.


This here is probably what you want then. she doesn't trust them, everyone leaves, she cries.
Dude if it was refreshing so many people here in these forums, in the MangaFox Forums, Onemanga Forums and in Japan, wouldn't be ranking Medaka Box so badly. I agree ranking isn't everything but it is something and seeing how low its been ranking consistently, it means there is something wrong with it. Also, please do remember Medaka Box is being voted by people who previously liked this manga enough from its oneshot to get it serialised but then got dissapointed by its progress in the weekly. So there's nothing refreshing about it

No one said anything about crying about a father. Does Beelzebub have anything to do with a crying father? Does Yankee-Kun-To-Megane Chan had a crying Father? Doesn't Haruhi care about Kyon and is a super powerful chick at the same time?

Why would she have to train to grow powers, this isn't a fantasy or battle manga.

We don't want her to cry, we want her to connect and interact and work together with her members, we want her to appear more human, less manipulative, want to see someone standing up to her, we want to see her flaws being pointed out, we want to see her proven wrong atleast once and we want to see that the opponents who are not with her isn't actually against her and changed into her ways
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 16:58   Link #690
aahhsin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Dude if it was refreshing so many people here in these forums, in the MangaFox Forums, Onemanga Forums and in Japan, wouldn't be ranking Medaka Box so badly. I agree ranking isn't everything but it is something and seeing how low its been ranking consistently, it means there is something wrong with it. Also, please do remember Medaka Box is being voted by people who previously liked this manga enough from its oneshot to get it serialised but then got dissapointed by its progress in the weekly. So there's nothing refreshing about it

No one said anything about crying about a father. Does Beelzebub have anything to do with a crying father? Does Yankee-Kun-To-Megane Chan had a crying Father? Doesn't Haruhi care about Kyon and is a super powerful chick at the same time?

Why would she have to train to grow powers, this isn't a fantasy or battle manga.

We don't want her to cry, we want her to connect and interact and work together with her members, we want her to appear more human, less manipulative, want to see someone standing up to her, we want to see her flaws being pointed out, we want to see her proven wrong atleast once and we want to see that the opponents who are not with her isn't actually against her and changed into her ways
The entire point of the manga is seeing a super powerful God. She doesn't have flaws, she's not supposed to. She's perfect in every way possible. The reader is supposed to simply witness these acts of God. That's it.

Haruhi's case is that she DOESN'T KNOW she's a God. Just an average girl enjoying life. Medaka knows. And as a God, she wants her people to do better. Granted the author is slowly straying away from this premise, it's there.

I never read either beezlebub or yankee so I'm not going to comment.

I just want to read something where someone goes in, beats up everyone and leave. That's why I'm enjoying Aki as well.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 17:23   Link #691
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
The entire point of the manga is seeing a super powerful God. She doesn't have flaws, she's not supposed to. She's perfect in every way possible. The reader is supposed to simply witness these acts of God. That's it.

.
Exactly and therein lies the problem as most people don't like perfect, superpowered, flawless, tyrannical characters. Like KLGChaos said, this isn't some superhereo comics, and even superhero comics have Superheroes with a chink in their armour i.e their weakness, almost all superheroes had complicted past, normal jobs, most superheroes have their special someone or someone that they want to protect and these make them more humane, and likeable and a character to what most readers can relate to. (Even Dexter/superman had flaws) These things are essential in a a comic be it a Japanese manga or an American Comic. Mind you all those things I said are all about and applies only to Superhero/fantasy genre and so they dont require that much character development and there's no problem if characters appear a bit shallow but even then these bare minimum of character development is needed. AND HERE COMES THE IMPORTANT PART MEDAKA BOX IS NOT SOME SUPERHERO FANTASY MANGA, IT IS A SCHOOL LIFE SHONEN, ECCHI MANGA WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A BIT OF ROMANCE AND SO IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, MORE STORY DEPTH, MORE NEED TO MAKE THE MAIN CHARACTER HAVE A LIKABLE PERSONALITY TO WHAT MOST READERS CAN RELATE TO AND SAD TO SAY MEDAKA BOX HAS WORSE STORY AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND A SHALLOW MAIN CHARACTER THAN EVEN A CRAP SUPERHERO MANGA. Medaka Box so far fails to even meet the basic requirements that are needed in a manga or a comic
Granted there are rare people like you who prefer characters like Madaka and can like a manga/comic without a plot, character depth, character interaction, or can like a character that has no special connection with any special person, and force-feeding of that character's absurd godly powers, but most readers don't like that and your types of readers are very few in number and they are decreasing by the minute.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 19:59   Link #692
aahhsin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
AND HERE COMES THE IMPORTANT PART MEDAKA BOX IS NOT SOME SUPERHERO FANTASY MANGA, IT IS A SCHOOL LIFE SHONEN, ECCHI MANGA WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A BIT OF ROMANCE AND SO IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, MORE STORY DEPTH, MORE NEED TO MAKE THE MAIN CHARACTER HAVE A LIKABLE PERSONALITY TO WHAT MOST READERS CAN RELATE TO AND SAD TO SAY MEDAKA BOX HAS WORSE STORY AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND A SHALLOW MAIN CHARACTER THAN EVEN A CRAP SUPERHERO MANGA.
That is the stupidest comment I have read. JUST because it's a high school setting, it's supposed to do all this stuff? Why should there be a typical romance? Why should there be all these things? Are you the author? You're basically saying exactly what I like about it. I like all these different things the author is trying to do. It's better then the same Tsundere stereotype, with the moe blob, and the clueless moron. I like how the relationship with Medaka and Zen is working out. It's so subtle and doesn't need 5 pages focusing on her thinking about him.

The author tries something new, and you start blasting it for not being what you expect. I'm done here. I'm just going to enjoy the manga even if it gets canceled soon. I'll ride it out to the end.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 20:48   Link #693
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Well the full raws are out, all I have to say is that Medaka pulls a Yoruichi :3
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 21:07   Link #694
Jourdal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
That is the stupidest comment I have read. JUST because it's a high school setting, it's supposed to do all this stuff? Why should there be a typical romance? Why should there be all these things? Are you the author? You're basically saying exactly what I like about it. I like all these different things the author is trying to do. It's better then the same Tsundere stereotype, with the moe blob, and the clueless moron. I like how the relationship with Medaka and Zen is working out. It's so subtle and doesn't need 5 pages focusing on her thinking about him.

The author tries something new, and you start blasting it for not being what you expect. I'm done here. I'm just going to enjoy the manga even if it gets canceled soon. I'll ride it out to the end.
I disagree..i don't care if they're trying something unique if they can't do it properly...this forum, onemanga and obviously the japanese fans don't like this direction...a Mangaka's job is to entertain and so far people haven't been entertained.

It's not her godliness that's irking me..hell i like Ryoma from PoT and people can't stand him for his god mod sue moments..but Ryoma has struggles and some sort of dimension to his personality...and maybe I'm dumb but can you point out these subtle relationship hints?

Oh well at least the art is good this chapter.

Last edited by Jourdal; 2009-09-04 at 21:20.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 22:54   Link #695
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 36
Don't know if there's any character development this chapter or not, as I can't read Japanese, but the gist of what I got is:

1) Tha author has given up on any sense of realism. Medaka can now run so fast she splits her body in four and melts her shoes. The worst part? Everyone who sees this is surprised for a moment and then just smiles and nods like it's all normal. There's no explanation to it at all, not even that she's an alien, god or whatever. Suspension of disbelief was completely destroyed.

2) There's absolutely no point to any other character in this manga besides Medaka. She obviously doesn't need any of them and everyone else could just be labelled Faceless Dude #1, #2 and #3 and it wouldn't change anything.

I've had my issues with this manga, but I've always hoped it would get better. I think this is the first time a chapter has actually disgusted me a bit. Any chance at any charater growth has completely gone out the window. I don't want to witness acts of God in a manga. Flawless people are completely boring. At least even Haruhi had some humanity about her and wasn't' the main focus of the manga.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 23:56   Link #696
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Ah..., how did chapter 17 not surprised me one bit? Oh! that was because KLGchoas spoiled everyone by pointing out the same trend thats been happening over the last 10+ chapters. Seriously folks, this is getting ridiculous... At least the lame battle arc will end earlier and expected, since no one really expected it to be any good in the first place.

Quote:
That is the stupidest comment I have read. JUST because it's a high school setting, it's supposed to do all this stuff? Why should there be a typical romance? Why should there be all these things? Are you the author? You're basically saying exactly what I like about it. I like all these different things the author is trying to do. It's better then the same Tsundere stereotype, with the moe blob, and the clueless moron. I like how the relationship with Medaka and Zen is working out. It's so subtle and doesn't need 5 pages focusing on her thinking about him.
REALLY? There was actually a relationship development with this.. "Zen" character? Oh yeah, that was the guy narrating in the first few chapters. I wonder if he died or something.
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 00:52   Link #697
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
That is the stupidest comment I have read. JUST because it's a high school setting, it's supposed to do all this stuff? Why should there be a typical romance? Why should there be all these things? Are you the author? You're basically saying exactly what I like about it. I like all these different things the author is trying to do. It's better then the same Tsundere stereotype, with the moe blob, and the clueless moron. I like how the relationship with Medaka and Zen is working out. It's so subtle and doesn't need 5 pages focusing on her thinking about him.

The author tries something new, and you start blasting it for not being what you expect. I'm done here. I'm just going to enjoy the manga even if it gets canceled soon. I'll ride it out to the end.
Obviously it is not better than Tsundere stereotype or else it would not be as low as it is, now wouldn't it?

Even you should agree that majority do not like this manga. You have different tastes - good for you, but majority do not, and thats where it matters - in this consumer society if the number of consumers is low, the thing is considered to be a trash and thats how it is with Medaka.

Author has to change things if he wants this manga to survive longer, because it is pretty obvious it is leading nowhere. Well actually it leads somewhere - to getting cut because being unpopular.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 00:55   Link #698
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Internets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Ah..., how did chapter 17 not surprised me one bit? Oh! that was because KLGchoas spoiled everyone by pointing out the same trend thats been happening over the last 10+ chapters. Seriously folks, this is getting ridiculous... At least the lame battle arc will end earlier and expected, since no one really expected it to be any good in the first place.



REALLY? There was actually a relationship development with this.. "Zen" character? Oh yeah, that was the guy narrating in the first few chapters. I wonder if he died or something.
Your words fit your avatar

I wonder what the last chapter of the manga will be like once it gets cut, a disturbingly abrupt relationship for Zen?
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 00:58   Link #699
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well actually it leads somewhere - to getting cut because being unpopular.
This actually made me laugh. Props.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 01:02   Link #700
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Obviously it is not better than Tsundere stereotype or else it would not be as low as it is, now wouldn't it?

Even you should agree that majority do not like this manga. You have different tastes - good for you, but majority do not, and thats where it matters - in this consumer society if the number of consumers is low, the thing is considered to be a trash and thats how it is with Medaka.

Author has to change things if he wants this manga to survive longer, because it is pretty obvious it is leading nowhere. Well actually it leads somewhere - to getting cut because being unpopular.
Well said and I tried to point this out to him too but he seems to disagree
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.