AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-03-16, 01:25   Link #7341
Shadow5YA

Zenkichi and the five middle schoolers' speeches were quite interesting. They both had interesting points, even though they pretty much antagonized the school in the process.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2012-03-16 at 01:35.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:42   Link #7342
kenjtr

" I was born to service strangers " in this one sentence author is critisizing all echi-love-comedy gender Medaka herself says that she is the sacrifice for others entartaintment , yes this genre sold most because of its fancervice and in real life there is no super girl who can save everyone . It really seems manga is ending cause from now on no one can save medaka from getting raped or medaka can save anyone from any danger , now medaka is just one vulnerable girl in wolfs table . Zenkchi also erased his all heroic specalities so from now on he wont be able to protect medaka or his eyes wont return after getting blind , things got really dangeraous it seems .
Old 2012-03-16, 01:43   Link #7343
Takigashima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Zenkichi and the five middle schoolers' speeches were quite interesting. They both had interesting points, even though they pretty much antagonized the school in the process.
Its logical in a sense though.
If medaka is helping people with their problems, its a constant battle against other people. The problems could be minor or major but she is still in a battle setting, and a battle isn't determined on just a physical fight, it could entail puzzle battles or battle of wits, all of which she is perfect at.

If Zen is to effectively get Medaka to lose, then she the situation would have to change that she isn't in a constant battle, a situation where she will have to find something else meaningful to do in her life
Takigashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:56   Link #7344
sungreentakeo

I had gotten a bit tired of Medaka box for the past couple of weeks, because I had basically come to my own private conclusion that both Zenkichi and Medaka were parodies of shounen main character flaws, without the little things that usually make those excesses ok.... And Medaka's 'I'm too dense' shounen main character love immunity got too under my skin, since that was the flaw I hated the absolute most in shounen main characters... I always hated how main characters could just use and ignore their loyal love interests, but it's ok because they're 'dense', even when they're supposed to be a supergenius or the love interest flat out tells them that they're in love with them while sacrificing their life for them.... Hinata and Naruto anyone?

But this recent twist with Zenkichi's skill makes it all interesting again..

Zenkichi's skill might actually have quite a bit of potential. He can win against Medaka, and he can lose against Kumagawa. His skill doesn't look like much; in fact it looks pretty bad, but it's actually a real game changer. I'm still not really sure what all of it means, but it's seems like it is almost an abnormality that denies abnormality, so anti-abnormal that it's abnormal. Every battle is a fair battle.

Heh, but this might actually be Kumogawa's victory.. They might all get a draw.. And then what happens? Who knows, maybe Kumagawa has secretly entered too and he wins... Or maybe that would go against Zenkichi's skill.. I don't know. Without coincidences, Kumagawa's plans might pan out.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if Zenkichi is going to win, because even if you take away Medaka's abnormality she's still got a lifetime of clout and skills built up from her fate-hacking abnormality.

Kumogawa was epic last chapter and Zenkichi was epic this chapter.

Medaka felt flat and almost... disturbing. Like she was missing the point and just flat out denying how everyone felt after those speeches, not just the other presidential candidates but also all the students in the audience. Basically, she just said, "Look, it isn't possible for me to let you in on what I'm up to. It doesn't matter if you understand or not. Vote for me anyway." In a weird way, it makes you feel sorry for her because it stresses just how separated she is from everyone else. She seems so isolated that it looked lonely, but at the same time it doesn't really make sense to feel sorry for her because it's also obvious that she doesn't feel self-conscious or lonely. She's isolated and it doesn't seem to bother her... She's isolated because she isn't acknowledging other people while trusting totally in herself. And it makes it all the more disturbing because, despite being isolated from everyone at the same time she wants to impose her 'order' on everyone. And that might be a side effect of her abnormality.. If she believes that her purpose in life is to help other people, then her abnormality will make her 'right' and make a world where that purpose is 'right'. She isn't right if nobody wants or needs her help. She would also loses her last tenuous connection to other people. Does that mean that she will find another way to connect to other people or does that mean that she becomes completely disconnected and stays that way?

But Zenkichi just became the most unusual potential main character, someone who win or lose against anyone. When he's up for a fight, he can win against anyone and lose against anyone. Kumagawa can win. Medaka can lose... Zenkichi might actually completely break the rules. Well, I hope he does. We're about to see.

But then he's not a main character is he, since the main character is always supposed to win.... Maybe that would redefine the meaning of being the main character? Instead of being the main character that always wins, he becomes the main character who moves everything along? Maybe all of his victories would be moral victories, regardless of being defeated in an actual confrontation? In other words, if we cooperate together and rely on ourselves then we can win?

But if Zenkichi does win, what the hell is Medaka going to do? If her purpose is to help other people, and she can't fulfill that purpose or that purpose doesn't make any sense anymore... What is she going to do? She never genuinely loses; this would be a divide by zero situation. The world wouldn't be dancing to her tune. It's not that she couldn't do something to validate herself; it's that what she's doing wouldn't be valid anymore, so she couldn't validate herself by just dominating everyone else like she was previously.

Also, if Zenkichi wins, what effect is that going to have on his 'love quest'?

There is something else going on here. I hope the manga isn't going to end; there seems to be something brewing here with incredible potential. We don't understand Medaka's darkness at all, and we don't understand what Zenkichi's revolution really means. If Medaka is the thesis, what is Zenkichi's antithesis supposed to look like? What sort of academy would he create?

Last edited by sungreentakeo; 2012-03-16 at 02:34.
sungreentakeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:05   Link #7345
MD84

Okay, Devil style is pretty op. Assuming fate and destiny are real things in the setting, then Devil style basically removes the influence of fate entirely. This is way more powerful than an ability that cancels other abilities.

But geez, the ability to remove plot armor and deus ex machinas -- how much more meta can this series get? Maybe it's for the best that it's going to end soon.
MD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:06   Link #7346
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takigashima View Post
Its logical in a sense though.
If medaka is helping people with their problems, its a constant battle against other people. The problems could be minor or major but she is still in a battle setting, and a battle isn't determined on just a physical fight, it could entail puzzle battles or battle of wits, all of which she is perfect at.

If Zen is to effectively get Medaka to lose, then she the situation would have to change that she isn't in a constant battle, a situation where she will have to find something else meaningful to do in her life
Yes, I actually agree with Zenkichi, but I don't think his speech will win that many people over. What he did was basically call everyone in the school lazy asses that need to clean up after themselves for once. Even if he's right, I don't think people take too kindly to being criticized personally. It's not that different from the middle schoolers, who basically downplayed the principle of democracy and called out mob mentality.

While Medaka's speech was the least interesting, I'm sure many people don't mind her helping out with everything like she always does. Not everyone minds having their work done by others if they're as good at it as Medaka is.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:15   Link #7347
kenjtr

I dont know why but i sense incredible danger from zenkichis ability cause with this ability if an overpowered villain comes no one will be able to stop him/her and this makes the hero vunerable which is medaka . Also in a dangeraous sitiation everyone escapes there is no real hero to stop the villain cause thats polices job in real life and police always arrives late , with that ability and other if zenkichi helps a villain sitiation will be dire . But zenkichis ability also prevents that kind of dire events so i may be wrong or not .
Old 2012-03-16, 02:19   Link #7348
Terizent
Nonsense!

Logically, shouldn't Medaka still win the election? If Devil Style eliminates One in a Million Chances and miraculous ass pulls, then aren't Zen and the Candidates' chances close to nil? Yeah Medaka's speech kinda sucked, but so did everyone else's. And she'll still have a higher popularity, considering the fact that she's already served with flying colors her first term and she's like, fucking perfect.

I don't get it. What's Ajimu banking on for Zen to win? Or is she even expecting him to win anyways?
Old 2012-03-16, 02:21   Link #7349
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Yes, I actually agree with Zenkichi, but I don't think his speech will win that many people over. What he did was basically call everyone in the school lazy asses that need to clean up after themselves for once. Even if he's right, I don't think people take too kindly to being criticized personally. It's not that different from the middle schoolers, who basically downplayed the principle of democracy and called out mob mentality

While Medaka's speech was the least interesting, I'm sure many people don't mind her helping out with everything like she always does. Not everyone minds having their work done by others if they're as good at it as Medaka is.
It's kind of funny, Zen, who is supposed to be the most normal, gave the most unrealistic speech, while Medaka, who is the most abnormal, had the speech that was closest to what a normal person would say in a student government election, if it was lacking in content and was really abrupt. But then again maybe Anshin'in's presence was the reason for that.

As for the middle schoolers, Anshin'in hit the nail on the head: it was sophistry. What they said sounds nice, but would never actually work. Due to the presentation, however I have to wonder what kind of response they'll get. I wouldn't think they'd get a good one, but you never know.

I agree with though, Zen was right on people's attitude toward Medaka.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:24   Link #7350
sungreentakeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
Logically, shouldn't Medaka still win the election? If Devil Style eliminates One in a Million Chances and miraculous ass pulls, then aren't Zen and the Candidates' chances close to nil? Yeah Medaka's speech kinda sucked, but she'll still have a higher popularity, considering the fact that she's already served with flying colors her first term and she's like, fucking perfect.

I don't get it. What's Ajimu banking on for Zen to win? Or is she even expecting him to win anyways?
That's a pretty good point. I keep on thinking about that.

If things turn out otherwise, there has to be something else going on here that we aren't aware of.

Maybe Zenkichi's victory isn't in that he wins the presidential election, but that nobody uses the medaka box anymore.
Old 2012-03-16, 02:43   Link #7351
sungreentakeo

I wonder if Medaka will appreciate Zenkichi trying to create a situation where everyone is so self-sufficient that Medaka's purpose in life stops making sense..

But if Zenkichi does win with 100% of the votes, I can imagine him saying, "Thank you everyone, I'm so damn proud of you!"
Old 2012-03-16, 03:11   Link #7352
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjtr View Post
I dont know why but i sense incredible danger from zenkichis ability cause with this ability if an overpowered villain comes no one will be able to stop him/her and this makes the hero vunerable which is medaka . Also in a dangeraous sitiation everyone escapes there is no real hero to stop the villain cause thats polices job in real life and police always arrives late , with that ability and other if zenkichi helps a villain sitiation will be dire . But zenkichis ability also prevents that kind of dire events so i may be wrong or not .
In other word Ajimu can finally defeat Medaka?
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 03:17   Link #7353
Grey

Hahaha, I wondered why those girls at the concert didn't do anything! Zenkichi's zero skill removed the plot hook! And I was sure that teeth girl was from Good Loser Kumagawa and was planning to start something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungreentakeo View Post
I wonder if Medaka will appreciate Zenkichi trying to create a situation where everyone is so self-sufficient that Medaka's purpose in life stops making sense..

But if Zenkichi does win with 100% of the votes, I can imagine him saying, "Thank you everyone, I'm so damn proud of you!"
I can more imagine her saying that. It would be like Akune but with the whole student body. She was just puffed with pride at his growth.

Of course I think she'd just move on to a larger stage. If her inheritance of the Kurokami group doesn't get in the way.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 03:49   Link #7354
sungreentakeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Hahaha, I wondered why those girls at the concert didn't do anything! Zenkichi's zero skill removed the plot hook! And I was sure that teeth girl was from Good Loser Kumagawa and was planning to start something.

I can more imagine her saying that. It would be like Akune but with the whole student body. She was just puffed with pride at his growth.

Of course I think she'd just move on to a larger stage. If her inheritance of the Kurokami group doesn't get in the way.
Hee, hee.. You're being so realistic about this. With Medaka's concern about Ajimu, it feels like something else is going on here.

Maybe it would get canceled out by Zenkichi's Devil Style, but it feels like the next chapter is ripe for a Kumagawa trolling.
Old 2012-03-16, 03:59   Link #7355
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
Logically, shouldn't Medaka still win the election? If Devil Style eliminates One in a Million Chances and miraculous ass pulls, then aren't Zen and the Candidates' chances close to nil? Yeah Medaka's speech kinda sucked, but so did everyone else's. And she'll still have a higher popularity, considering the fact that she's already served with flying colors her first term and she's like, fucking perfect.

No it's most probably something else, though really it would still count as an ass pull, Zenkichi isn't "normal", he's a zero, which is probably what she's banking on. There's probably something special in regards to that. There's probably an advantage he alone has without the effect of fate.

Basically it's an figurative F you to the author and allows the villain typically the dude with the most logical advantages to win. It degrades Medaka's ability while improving those of Aijimu and Kumagawa, really ironically it gives Aijimu all she's ever wanted. The only person that may pose a threat to her is kumagawa though that depends on precisely how he managed to beat her originally and whether it's an ass pull. It actually makes writing that sort of story extremely hard. Fate exists in story to drive the story to a specific conclusion and overall plot goal. You can't really do that if everything is supposedly completely logical, and really I find it difficult to believe Nisio would even manage it without creating several ass pulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungreentakeo View Post
I had gotten a bit tired of Medaka box for the past couple of weeks, because I had basically come to my own private conclusion that both Zenkichi and Medaka were parodies of shounen main character flaws, without the little things that usually make those excesses ok.... And Medaka's 'I'm too dense' shounen main character love immunity got too under my skin, since that was the flaw I hated the absolute most in shounen main characters... I always hated how main characters could just use and ignore their loyal love interests, but it's ok because they're 'dense', even when they're supposed to be a supergenius or the love interest flat out tells them that they're in love with them while sacrificing their life for them.... Hinata and Naruto anyone?

But this recent twist with Zenkichi's skill makes it all interesting again..

Zenkichi's skill might actually have quite a bit of potential. He can win against Medaka, and he can lose against Kumagawa. His skill doesn't look like much; in fact it looks pretty bad, but it's actually a real game changer. I'm still not really sure what all of it means, but it's seems like it is almost an abnormality that denies abnormality, so anti-abnormal that it's abnormal. Every battle is a fair battle.

Heh, but this might actually be Kumogawa's victory.. They might all get a draw.. And then what happens? Who knows, maybe Kumagawa has secretly entered too and he wins... Or maybe that would go against Zenkichi's skill.. I don't know. Without coincidences, Kumagawa's plans might pan out.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if Zenkichi is going to win, because even if you take away Medaka's abnormality she's still got a lifetime of clout and skills built up from her fate-hacking abnormality.

Kumogawa was epic last chapter and Zenkichi was epic this chapter.

Medaka felt flat and almost... disturbing. Like she was missing the point and just flat out denying how everyone felt after those speeches, not just the other presidential candidates but also all the students in the audience. Basically, she just said, "Look, it isn't possible for me to let you in on what I'm up to. It doesn't matter if you understand or not. Vote for me anyway." In a weird way, it makes you feel sorry for her because it stresses just how separated she is from everyone else. She seems so isolated that it looked lonely, but at the same time it doesn't really make sense to feel sorry for her because it's also obvious that she doesn't feel self-conscious or lonely. She's isolated and it doesn't seem to bother her... She's isolated because she isn't acknowledging other people while trusting totally in herself. And it makes it all the more disturbing because, despite being isolated from everyone at the same time she wants to impose her 'order' on everyone. And that might be a side effect of her abnormality.. If she believes that her purpose in life is to help other people, then her abnormality will make her 'right' and make a world where that purpose is 'right'. She isn't right if nobody wants or needs her help. She would also loses her last tenuous connection to other people. Does that mean that she will find another way to connect to other people or does that mean that she becomes completely disconnected and stays that way?

But Zenkichi just became the most unusual potential main character, someone who win or lose against anyone. When he's up for a fight, he can win against anyone and lose against anyone. Kumagawa can win. Medaka can lose... Zenkichi might actually completely break the rules. Well, I hope he does. We're about to see.

But then he's not a main character is he, since the main character is always supposed to win.... Maybe that would redefine the meaning of being the main character? Instead of being the main character that always wins, he becomes the main character who moves everything along? Maybe all of his victories would be moral victories, regardless of being defeated in an actual confrontation? In other words, if we cooperate together and rely on ourselves then we can win?

But if Zenkichi does win, what the hell is Medaka going to do? If her purpose is to help other people, and she can't fulfill that purpose or that purpose doesn't make any sense anymore... What is she going to do? She never genuinely loses; this would be a divide by zero situation. The world wouldn't be dancing to her tune. It's not that she couldn't do something to validate herself; it's that what she's doing wouldn't be valid anymore, so she couldn't validate herself by just dominating everyone else like she was previously.

Also, if Zenkichi wins, what effect is that going to have on his 'love quest'?

There is something else going on here. I hope the manga isn't going to end; there seems to be something brewing here with incredible potential. We don't understand Medaka's darkness at all, and we don't understand what Zenkichi's revolution really means. If Medaka is the thesis, what is Zenkichi's antithesis supposed to look like? What sort of academy would he create?
I don't think Zenkichi's point was to stop Medaka from helping people, remember there's helping people and then there's helping people. Zenkichi's issue is that people were becoming entirely dependent on her, so much so that they could be bothered solving the problem themselves. The issue is that no one person can perfectly help everyone one single piece of bad advice or action can do the exact opposite of helping. Meaning in order to do that on a daily basis without causing many major issues said person helping all those people would need to be perfect and completely right.

Basically the reason why Medaka is the way she is, is because of her surroundings, she doesn't have to be the perfect Mary Sue she needs to be, and basically Zenkichi considers that to be unhealthy.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2012-03-16 at 04:49.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 05:07   Link #7356
MD84

Zenkichi's speech is pretty much a riff on the whole concept of a hero that sacrifices his/her well-being and devotes himself/herself to helping others while everyone else becomes complacent and dependent on them.

Not the first time I've seen this, though it's certainly the most meta treatment. Reminds me of the main theme of Wild Arms 2 -- main character Ashley doesn't really take up the mantle of a Hero, but rejects the concept of sacrificing a Hero for the world entirely. Yes, he still fights a final battle by himself against a legendary evil, but he triumphs because everyone else on the planet gives him their power ala Spirit Bomb style. And he survives afterwards to make his own life.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:23   Link #7357
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD84 View Post
Zenkichi's speech is pretty much a riff on the whole concept of a hero that sacrifices his/her well-being and devotes himself/herself to helping others while everyone else becomes complacent and dependent on them.

Not the first time I've seen this, though it's certainly the most meta treatment. Reminds me of the main theme of Wild Arms 2 -- main character Ashley doesn't really take up the mantle of a Hero, but rejects the concept of sacrificing a Hero for the world entirely. Yes, he still fights a final battle by himself against a legendary evil, but he triumphs because everyone else on the planet gives him their power ala Spirit Bomb style. And he survives afterwards to make his own life.
TBF One Piece is kinda like that, though there is some aspects of hero dependence for the most part Luffy doesn't really give a shit as ultimately the second Luffy leaves they'd have to depend on themselves anyway, and his ultimate goal isn't to help people but to quite frankly do whatever the hell he wants. He's an antihero but he isn't an antihero thrust into the role of dependence like a hero, more an antihero that sometimes chooses to help people but doesn't feel like he has an obligation to do so. Heck he out right dislikes people that are overly dependent, as shown by his nicknames for Shirahoshi, and his treatment of Coby at the begining.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 05:43   Link #7358
MD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
TBF One Piece is kinda like that, though there is some aspects of hero dependence for the most part Luffy doesn't really give a shit as ultimately the second Luffy leaves they'd have to depend on themselves anyway, and his ultimate goal isn't to help people but to quite frankly do whatever the hell he wants. He's an antihero but he isn't an antihero thrust into the role of dependence like a hero, more an antihero that sometimes chooses to help people but doesn't feel like he has an obligation to do so. Heck he out right dislikes people that are overly dependent, as shown by his nicknames for Shirahoshi, and his treatment of Coby at the begining.
Yeah, Luffy is pretty adamant about the fact that he's a pirate, not a hero. "A hero would share the meat! I want to eat that meat!"

Medaka Box is hardly the first piece of fiction to deconstruct or mock a concept of stereotypical heroism. But it's one of the first that so blatantly mocks deus ex machinas, contrived coincidences, plot armor, etc.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:10   Link #7359
Sol Falling

Hahaha. Good stuff.

Zenkichi might have a point in telling people to man up. The Medaka Box does not exist to achieve people's dreams for them; it merely exists to remove the obstacles which might stop people from doing their best. 4266 requests over a ~6-8 month period is indeed pretty unbelievable. In the end, it's true that what Medaka wants most is to see people grow strong enough to stand on their own.

However, the end of the Medaka Box, and Medaka's mission to help others, might really be the end of this manga. Medaka has always said of herself that she is no-one special--that she is not always right, that she does not always win, that her achievements are a result of the countless things she has received from others. If people stop relying on Medaka, that is the end of Medaka as a main character.

Then the question which remains to be asked: would this constitute Ajimu's victory? The end of Medaka's mission to aid humanity. Her reduction to a normal girl. The individual growth of everyone else's happiness, such that Medaka is free to become happy (i.e. romanced by Zenkichi, :P) herself.

That it has come to this, of course, is a result of Ajimu's machinations. Now we have to question whether there is anything worth fighting against. By refusing to oppose Medaka, and frame herself as a villain, the end of the manga has come upon us. Now, only Medaka knows what Ajimu's really up to--but, with Devil Style's negation of the conveniences of the Main Character, and Medaka's defeat framed in the context of her own good, the window may have closed on her opportunity to even do anything.

The continuation of this manga itself now stands upon Medaka's desperate opposition to Ajimu's plans. The votes of the Hakoniwa students will determine her legitimacy. Hahaha, I damn well hope this isn't over.
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 07:00   Link #7360
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
All eyes are on Medaka right now, but from her speech you can tell she really didn't have time. It seems like whatever Anshin'in-san is planning really has her rushing a bit, as her speech mainly consisted of "I can't really explain all the details to your guys, but I HAVE TO WIN, so I'm just gonna remind you guys what I'm all about". Next chapter is gonna be a big one.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council