AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-19, 11:55   Link #861
ShiroiRyu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: France
Age: 26
That's is what you say.
I liked the crazy eyes and the face of the protagonists. ^^
For the battle scenes, it's just the beginning.
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 13:44   Link #862
Jourdal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
That's is what you say.
I liked the crazy eyes and the face of the protagonists. ^^
For the battle scenes, it's just the beginning.
why do you make this sound like a good thing?
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 14:40   Link #863
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
why do you make this sound like a good thing?
Exactly. There was no mention of this being a battle manga when it started. Sure, even the one shot had a fight, but it was just a sports competition between regular people, not some superpowered battle-fest.

Is it just me or has Medaka herself just gotten more and more ridiculous as time goes on? In the one shot, though she was great at everything, she still at least seemed human. As the series moved on, she became less and less so, and the manga gets further away from it's original roots. First there's the red belt (which was in the one shot as well), but then the series starts adding more and more:

1) Her family is SO rich that they support the entire economy (could be Shiranui embellishing).

2) She's so fast, that with a single step-in and step-out maneuver, she can pick the pockets of people with a Kendo sword, balancing their cigarettes all the while, before they can even move.

3) Her calligraphy is SO great, she made teacher's retire.

4) Her aura is SO strong that animals fear her.

5) She defies physics by standing on a water wing.

and then in chapter 17, it's taken to a whole new level:

6) She can split her body into four.

7) She's SO fast that she melts her shoes.

8) She can leap from tall places without injury to herself or her opponent. Yes, there was a high jump mat there, but the graphics made it look more like an explosion when she landed.

9) She can ride a bike at 60 mph, faster than a car speed limit, all the while dodging a group of people without any problems.

10) She can jump up a building using nothing but claws and cleats, at ridiculous speeds.

Spoilers for the rest:
Spoiler:


Medaka went from being a perfect overachiever to basically Superman... Yet, the manga still tries to portray her as human? I got into an argument with someone about her abilities and he didn't like how I called her strength "superpowers", but I can't think of anything else they'd be. True, other mangas like Naruto and Bleach have them, but in Naruto, lots of people have ninja abilities and there are a reason for them-- namley Chakra. In Bleach, their abilities are considered Supernatural by nature. In Medaka Box, it's the same way-- for the normal population, they can't do anywhere near what Medaka can do. Zen may be able to break a wooden bat, which is extremely difficult, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. The bat could be cracked or something, which helped him break it. However, people can't do the things Medaka does. It's not humanly possible.

The problem with this, is that it's the main focus. The same may be said for Superman, but what makes Superman work isn't his powers. It's Clark Kent, the human side of him. Plus, he has his weaknessess--- namely Kryptonite and more importantly, what makes Superman good is he has a nemesis who can stand up to him. I'm not talking about a superpowered one either. I'm talking Lex Luthor, who may be a genius, but is still just a regular human being. What makes him a great villain is that despite being a normal human, he is and always has been Supes' greatest foe. Even Unzen, who is supposed to be on her level, is just cannon fodder for her. If she decided to go evil and take over the world, nothing could stop her.

Right now, Medaka has no weaknesses (personality issues aside) and it's really making things boring. They may be giving us small tidbits here and there that reveal her personality, but all character development has focused on her solely and even that hasn't been much, pushed aside in favor of her strength.

The manga has gone so far off course from it's original vision of a Romantic School Life comedy that it's hardly recognizable anymore. It's pulling itself in about 20 different directions and completely forgetting about it's characters. Even in a shounen manga, character development is a big deal. Double Arts (from what I've read) was canceled because it took too long to get the story going and people got bored, but there was actually character development in there. Medaka Box isn't just moving slowly, but it also lacks taht development. The reason Naruto does so well is that you get to watch the characters grow, even the side characters such as Neji and Shikamaru. We get to watch Naruto struggle and fight to become stronger. With Medaka, we don't even get that. Do you think I was afraid of the council actually getting hurt or of Medaka possibly losing? Nope. There's no sense of danger, at all, because we already knew Medaka was going to solve everything with her superpowers. It's getting repetitive and boring. Heck, even in Yankee-kun, which has the same off-the-wall comedy had some major character development in the first chapters. The characters are strong, but that take a back seat to the funny jokes and relationships between Adachi and Shinagawa (and later, the council). Plus, Adachi really feels like she needs Shinagawa around, even going so far as to revert to her deliquent state to get him back, something she didn't want to do, and almost giving up the StuCo presidency because he wouldn't do it at first.

Anyway, enough ranting from me. I'm just getting depressed over the whole thing. We've got 19 chapters out and the manga has literally gone nowhere this whole time. Small little bits of learning about the characters is fine, but it's always tossed to the side along with 99% of the characters themselves. It's all Medaka, Medaka, Medaka... and as one guy wrote on his blog, it's too much.

Zen, Shiranui, Kikaijima and hell, even Akune, are much more interesting characters, but after 5 months of crap, I'm pretty much done. I said I'd give myself until chapter 20, so I'll stick around to watch the end of the arc and possibly the beginning of the next, considering the council position will be filled (by another throwaway character most likely), but I'm not expecting anything.

It's too bad, too. I really did have high hopes for this at first. I've been trying to change my attitude for it and just accept it for the artwork and random comedy bits, but there's very little here that is actually funny, I've realized, especially when I've gone from just disliking the main character to completely hating her (due to a Medaka overload).

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-09-19 at 14:51.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 14:50   Link #864
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
I refuse to believe this manga and Bakemonogatari are from the same person.
Really? At the current moment, Bakemonogatari is really bad. Ever since Senjogahara dropped off the face of earth, the anime plunged horribly.

Then again, I don't mind what's going on in Medaka Box lately. I'd say we have a classic case of echo chamber here ^_^;
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 16:19   Link #865
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Really? At the current moment, Bakemonogatari is really bad. Ever since Senjogahara dropped off the face of earth, the anime plunged horribly.
Yeah, no. That's really not that true at all.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:04   Link #866
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Really? At the current moment, Bakemonogatari is really bad. Ever since Senjogahara dropped off the face of earth, the anime plunged horribly.

Then again, I don't mind what's going on in Medaka Box lately. I'd say we have a classic case of echo chamber here ^_^;
In a way I do agree that after Senjogahara disappeared Bakemonogatari lost it's something, but it is not bad sill, it's just closer to being Mediocre than before.

But I cannot agree with your second part. For me it just sucks more and more the further Medaka box 'story' (can you even call it a story?) goes.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:12   Link #867
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Really? At the current moment, Bakemonogatari is really bad. Ever since Senjogahara dropped off the face of earth, the anime plunged horribly.

Then again, I don't mind what's going on in Medaka Box lately. I'd say we have a classic case of echo chamber here ^_^;
The novel was written by the same author, the anime may or may not have followed the novel.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:19   Link #868
Mizuno
Undefined
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: With the gods
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I don't see any reason to deviate from the novel. If anyone read the novel, please confirm this. Don't make excuses for him now just because he's NishOshin. Hitagi certainly was the most prominent element for that show, it's undeniable most people watch the show because she's there, having to tolerate their sketchy animation even.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:28   Link #869
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
In a way I do agree that after Senjogahara disappeared Bakemonogatari lost it's something, but it is not bad sill, it's just closer to being Mediocre than before.
Senjougahara will be back. Stop complaining. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
The novel was written by the same author, the anime may or may not have followed the novel.
Anime follows the novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I don't see any reason to deviate from the novel. If anyone read the novel, please confirm this. Don't make excuses for him now just because he's NishOshin. Hitagi certainly was the most prominent element for that show, it's undeniable most people watch the show because she's there, having to tolerate their sketchy animation even.
SHAFT is SHAFT, what can I say?

And NisiOisiN has written stuff other than Bakemonogatari. In fact, that's not even what he's famous for.


Back on topic... when I first read Medaka Box, I figured it would be exactly the sort of manga to get an anime.

Ooops.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:39   Link #870
ShiroiRyu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: France
Age: 26
And when you saw Katekyo Reborn and his first volumes, do you really think you will have time temporal story and other "complicates" thing ?
It's only the beginning and same if it's like 18 chapters from the beginning, i will wait for more Medaka Box.
After that, i'm sorry i can't complain a lot for Medaka Box, i'm french so for trolling in english, i'm not good. o/
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:41   Link #871
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
It's only the beginning and same if it's like 18 chapters from the beginning, i will wait for more Medaka Box.
The thing is, Medaka Box originally looked promising for various reasons, all of which the recent chapters have stomped and then pissed on.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 18:18   Link #872
Jourdal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The thing is, Medaka Box originally looked promising for various reasons, all of which the recent chapters have stomped and then pissed on.
I love the way you summed it up.

I thought it would be my to love ru replacement with it's fanservice and shenanigans...

i mean they went from writing love letters and posing for photos...to DBZ basically.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 20:08   Link #873
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Senjougahara will be back. Stop complaining. -_-
I am not complaining. I am just stating the fact. I am not saying if its good or bad, I a just saying that it lost an part of the mechanism that made it so great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And NisiOisiN has written stuff other than Bakemonogatari. In fact, that's not even what he's famous for.
You both right and wrong. He became famous before but not nearly as famous as now as gatari series are what really gave the shining light he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Back on topic... when I first read Medaka Box, I figured it would be exactly the sort of manga to get an anime.
Actually technically Medaka is not his first manga project. Before that he did two crappy oneshots - Urooboe Uroboros! and some other title that I keep forgetting (it was around 2005 or 2004). Both did poor and where considered to be bad by both critics and audience, thus never turned into something more than just crappy oneshots despite having above average artwork (the plot and not the art was considered to be the weakest part in both cases). Uroboros artist was Obata-sensei (Death Note, Bakuman) too bad that his good artwork was turned useless by rather weak plot.

With Medaka box he got a lucky shot and the oneshot turned into series. Just to prove later on his incapability as manga plot writer yet again. I dont know the reason though. Maybe it really is intended for the medak box to be so bad just for the lulz.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 20:33   Link #874
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I am not complaining. I am just stating the fact. I am not saying if its good or bad, I a just saying that it lost an part of the mechanism that made it so great.
It hasn't lost it, she's still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
You both right and wrong. He became famous before but not nearly as famous as now as gatari series are what really gave the shining light he has.
Pretty sure it was Zaregoto that put him on the map, though. Hell, the first book even got localized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Actually technically Medaka is not his first manga project. Before that he did two crappy oneshots - Urooboe Uroboros! and some other title that I keep forgetting (it was around 2005 or 2004).
Hey, I really liked Urooboe Uroboros! I thought it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
i mean they went from writing love letters and posing for photos...to DBZ basically.
And this is why Medaka Box sucks now.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 20:46   Link #875
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It hasn't lost it, she's still around.
I haven't said she is gone for good. But for as long she is not on the map thats the way things are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Pretty sure it was Zaregoto that put him on the map, though. Hell, the first book even got localized.
Yeah I think it was Zare too. But it was gatari that really brought him real fame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hey, I really liked Urooboe Uroboros! I thought it was good.
You are one of the few. If it was well met it would have been expanded into series no doubt (Obata even had arrangements at that time in case it would be turned into series, just like NisiOisiN as he obviously made the story rather open-ended to capture more interest. Too bad he overestimated his talent as manga plot writer in this case and was shot down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And this is why Medaka Box sucks now.
Finally something we both agree on.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 21:55   Link #876
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
To reiterate my position on Hitagi, lol at 'Bakemonogatari isn't as good without Senjougahara'. Also rage. Fuck this retarded idolization of a psycho girl, ok? Just enjoy what else the series offers: Senjougahara alone isn't nearly likeable/interesting enough to carry it by herself.

Regarding Medaka Box. I can sorta see how the guy wrote both series. To say it again: Unzen's characterization is pretty damn awesome, guys. There is actual depth and thought behind his juxtoposition with Medaka. The 'humans are fundamentally depraved; therefore I hate kindness and friendship, love and service, honour and peace, etc.' worldview is marvelously consistent and very compelling. And I will say that this, added with his age, personality, etc., makes Unzen a pretty much completely unique and original character concept; furthermore, via his juxtaposition and opposition to Medaka, Medaka stands to expose an unique and compelling idealogy as well. This sort of originality in character creation is what I think I will give Nisio Isin credit for.

I'll have to see this latest chapter (are scanlations out?) myself before I say anything. Chapter 17 sucked balls, but I quite liked 18 (and 16 before 17 ruined it). I think I'm not nearly as down on this series as a bunch of the rest of you guys 'cause my delusions of a compelling romance were shattered by the oneshot itself (that is to say: lol Medaka Box's romance sucked from the beginning; you guys have bad taste). As such, I'm willing to accept any sort of development as a step towards actual depth/content rather than pining for a return to the mediocrity that was this manga's start anyways.

Although, of course, let me qualify this by saying: chapter 17 truly sucked balls. Even though now I can see that it was intended as character development for Medaka (the 'saint' thing in chapter 18): it truly sucked balls. I don't really have any faith that this Nisio Isin guy can actually deliver. If chapter 19 really turns out to be a face-palmer afterall, I just wanna say: I'm not actually defending this manga, I just think it sucks for different reasons than most of you guys do.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 21:56   Link #877
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
That's is what you say.
I liked the crazy eyes and the face of the protagonists. ^^
For the battle scenes, it's just the beginning.
why do you make this sound like a good thing?
I lol'd pretty hard here !!!

And that was a great analysis of this manga KLG. Couldn't say it better myself.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 23:09   Link #878
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Actually, comparing Medaka to Superman is an understatement. She could whoop his ass with both hands tied behind her back.
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 01:40   Link #879
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
To reiterate my position on Hitagi, lol at 'Bakemonogatari isn't as good without Senjougahara'. Also rage. Fuck this retarded idolization of a psycho girl, ok?
Everyone have their own tastes regarding the series. Its up to them them to decide what do they like the series for and its not the place for your retarded telling, what one should like the series for or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The 'humans are fundamentally depraved; therefore I hate kindness and friendship, love and service, honour and peace, etc.' worldview is marvelously consistent and very compelling. And I will say that this, added with his age, personality, etc., makes Unzen a pretty much completely unique and original character concept
Lol if you call that character originality then Superman and Batman comics must be the deepest stuff you ever read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Medaka Box's romance sucked from the beginning; you guys have bad taste.
Nah, I can only say that its your taste that is as retarded as always. But then again we can spend lifetime aging about each others tastes. Its obviously that taste or no taste in Japan (where it matters) the manga is not taken all that well for one or the other reason.

Even yuri fanservice will not keep this manga on the water for ever if its legs are made of stone.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-09-20 at 03:53.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 03:47   Link #880
ShiroiRyu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: France
Age: 26
We will just have to wait.
If Medaka Box can go up, it's a good thing.
Anyway, you can wrote all the things you want, it's not that who will drop me to read the manga. ^^
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.