AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-08, 13:30   Link #11081
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Fukurou is amazing. His motivations are perfectly crazy and ridiculous. Shiranui's reactions are superb.

I don't think Fukurou can keep this up. But if he can, I'll put him at the top with Kumagawa and Ajimu.

"Surreal gag humor" is right.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 16:19   Link #11082
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
After thinking about it a bit more, I like this chapter a little better.
Still not as good as the reveal of Ajimu's goals and delusional mentality in 140, but that actually had setup, so...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 16:28   Link #11083
CrazyPerson
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Oh wow. Hahahah, my jaw actually dropped on page 10. First going after his sister, then his niece who resembled his sister, and then finally the copy of his niece who resembled his sister. This guy loves the transitive property of things. I bet he plays the seven degrees of Kevin Bacon in his spare time or something.

We all though Ajimu lied about Fukurou being killed by Medaka, because the Ge'hyoukai said they that killed him. At the time, it seemed like Ajimu was manipulating things to turn people against Medaka.

But now it turns out Ajimu didn't lie, Fukurou outright says that it was really Medaka that killed him (through love and zeal). Ajimu knew the specifics all along. I'm going to miss her.

On another note, Fukurou has a habit of dying and resurrecting? Either he's just using the words flippantly or I'm betting Nisio's going to elaborate on "life" and "death" stuff later as a theme.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 17:22   Link #11084
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
In its own strange manner, this manga is fianlly making sense even if some of the decisions made by the author makes no sense, Even for a shonen surreal gag manga, this manga pretty screws over the rules and betrays its audience expectatons. Do you guys think that Nisio Issin utilizes a lot of absurdism, absurdist reasoning, absurdist realism or surrealism in his works?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 17:27   Link #11085
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
But now it turns out Ajimu didn't lie, Fukurou outright says that it was really Medaka that killed him (through love and zeal).
Still not certain how this is supposed to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
On another note, Fukurou has a habit of dying and resurrecting? Either he's just using the words flippantly or I'm betting Nisio's going to elaborate on "life" and "death" stuff later as a theme.
That was probably the first style he developed.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 17:31   Link #11086
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
One things that i found quite amusing is the body language of Fukurou, some of his stance are also used by Medeka, i wonder if that was intentional to show their relationship.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 17:56   Link #11087
zeando
maybenotimome
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
page 8 and 10 look almost the same, they only have minor changes in the first 3 panels
Spoiler for page8:

Spoiler for page10:

fukurou's style must be lazy edit xD
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 20:10   Link #11088
CrazyPerson
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Still not certain how this is supposed to work.
It's only supposed to work in the twisted mind of Nisio; or we wait until exposition time for the explanation.

Hell, I don't think we got an explanation of why when Kumagawa died back in his arc, he sees Ajimu and then automatically respawns within a week. He knew he'd respawn, but there's no explanation for why 1 week and not immediately like in the snake pit.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 20:40   Link #11089
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Also, interesting thing said by Shirunai there. "What the hell is wrong with my life, everything that's happening seems to be slowly turning me into a minus"
Yeah, noticed it too.

Pretty interesting, eh? She's becoming much like Naze, I would guess. What's most interesting, is that she said "everything". I guess, being Medaka's double, it was obvious she would incorporate the traits of a Minus, yet it seems that she held on to some aspects of her double persona? Certainly explains why she threw water on Joutou's face and stuff.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 03:28   Link #11090
shmaster
The Hades
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
It felt like being a minus is her default personality.
Her concern on whether is she still maintaining a laugh on her face is only a concern to those who truly shares Kumagawa's philosophy.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 05:35   Link #11091
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
page 8 and 10 look almost the same, they only have minor changes in the first 3 panels
Spoiler for page8:

Spoiler for page10:

fukurou's style must be lazy edit xD
That's a pretty amazing find, lol. I'm pretty certain that it's just blatantly unabashed laziness but it's pretty funny nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Still not certain how this is supposed to work.
It makes direct sense if you make some inferences based on what was said in the chapter.

Fukurou gave up on Hato due to being unable to keep up with her work ethic -> he cross-bred Medaka from Hato and Kajiki as a replacement.

Medaka's work ethic + love for others was even more extreme that Hato's -> Fukurou gave up on keeping up with Medaka as well.

Fukurou was pretending to be Medaka's "ideal man" (i.e. someone who could keep up with her ideals) in order to appeal romantically to her. On top of that he'd already won the Jet Black Wedding Feast. So in order to get out of it all when he decided that getting to marry Medaka wasn't worth all the effort, he staged his own death. Pretty straightforward.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 28/5 :: Locodol 50/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sabagebu 28/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
Fall: Sora no Method 21/5 :: Karen Senki 6/5 :: Cross Ange 1/5 :: Shirobako 22/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 23/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 05:57   Link #11092
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
So, picked this back up again after a few month hiatus (I go in shifts with manga). Just finished the whole Jet Black Wedding arc and about half of the current arc (up until the demon-looking guy appeared).

The Wedding arc wasn't too bad. I liked seeing a more human Medaka. However, all the word play grew a bit tedious after awhile. I know it's Nishio's bread and butter, but for foreign readers, it's a bit of a nightmare. Kudos to the scanlation group for actually making it somewhat understandable for us gaijin.

Excited to see a Shiranui-based arc finally. I haven't fully caught up yet, but if Hansode was Medaka's "double" and the Shiranui family supports the Kurokami family, does that mean that Hanten is someone's double as well?
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 06:45   Link #11093
RedKey
天界の異端審問官
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Excited to see a Shiranui-based arc finally. I haven't fully caught up yet, but if Hansode was Medaka's "double" and the Shiranui family supports the Kurokami family, does that mean that Hanten is someone's double as well?
You'll see soon enough. Also, beware of websites like mangareader or mangahere, they still haven't updated ch 166 with the amended version. Not that I think they'll ever will.
__________________
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 10:18   Link #11094
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Finally caught up... This manga gets weirder and weirder. I'm glad Zenkichi woke up. It would have felt strange to have a Shiranui-based arc with him spending the whole thing unconscious. Their friendship was a huge deal earlier on and it wouldn't have been the same without him there.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 11:09   Link #11095
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
I hope that the fact that Doctor Tsurubami's character is a sort of reflection of Zenkichi's character if he gave-up on always catching-up to Medaka isn't just a wacky coincidence. Much like Mister Noobita, I hope that he learns something from this whole ordeal. Grows in character. Since in that aspect, it's true - Tsurubami is much more human than him.

And, in the end, would probably become much happier. A life-time of catching-up coupled with mistreatment sounds infernal to a normal guy, to be honest.

Even if you have been doing it for several years now.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 11:15   Link #11096
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
I hope that the fact that Doctor Tsurubami's character is a sort of reflection of Zenkichi's character if he gave-up on always catching-up to Medaka isn't just a wacky coincidence. Much like Mister Noobita, I hope that he learns something from this whole ordeal. Grows in character. Since in that aspect, it's true - Tsurubami is much more human than him.

And, in the end, would probably become much happier. A life-time of catching-up coupled with mistreatment sounds infernal to a normal guy, to be honest.

Even if you have been doing it for several years now.
Nah...Noobita just has irrational hatred for Zen...he rather have him dead than learning a lesson.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 11:23   Link #11097
kenjtr
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I wonder if medaka is the one trying to catch up to zenkichi since before the election medaka was trying to keep up with zenkichis standarts but then zenkichi noticed he doesnt like the way medaka does things he just endure it because of love and cut off medaka . The medaka zenkichi liked was the one who lived with zenkichis ideals but what if medaka decides that she doesnt care much about humanity and she will just lead kurokami group and leave a peaceful life ? I think zenkichi is like kurokamis mother , yes medaka looked like her in the past but that was all because of zenkichi and he is the workolic one who sweats 6 liters a day . Zenkichi could have go with a normal medaka after the election but her choose this one , i think its medaka who is trying to cope up with zenkichis standards but since she is an abnormal she looks more extreme then zenkichi . Maybe medaka will be future Dr. tsurubai not zenkichi .
__________________
kenjtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 11:44   Link #11098
17Sevens
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
YoAlso, beware of websites like mangareader or mangahere, they still haven't updated ch 166 with the amended version.
Does Batoto have the amended version? That's the site I mostly use.
17Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 12:16   Link #11099
DawnEmperor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
So, picked this back up again after a few month hiatus (I go in shifts with manga). Just finished the whole Jet Black Wedding arc and about half of the current arc (up until the demon-looking guy appeared).

The Wedding arc wasn't too bad. I liked seeing a more human Medaka. However, all the word play grew a bit tedious after awhile. I know it's Nishio's bread and butter, but for foreign readers, it's a bit of a nightmare. Kudos to the scanlation group for actually making it somewhat understandable for us gaijin.

Excited to see a Shiranui-based arc finally. I haven't fully caught up yet, but if Hansode was Medaka's "double" and the Shiranui family supports the Kurokami family, does that mean that Hanten is someone's double as well?
Kinda feel similarly about the wordplay. Not enough to make me drop the manga, but it is something which takes time to penetrate the language barrier. So thanks Redkey and Kurosu.

I know he had an arc focusing on why he follows Medaka, but I still feel they haven't analyzed Zenkichi's character enough.

Last edited by DawnEmperor; 2012-11-09 at 12:31.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 13:23   Link #11100
DmonHiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Romania
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I just read 170: SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I want to smack him!
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.