AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-24, 17:46   Link #11781
Alpha Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Funny, I had the complete opposite opinion of this chapter. I felt that I really saw Medaka's character growth here. The Medaka from before would have said something totally different.
At this point I would suggest them reread the series from the very beggining, so they can see how wrong is that "Medaka hasn't changed at all" statement.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 17:47   Link #11782
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
We've lost all hope for a decent ending at this point, I think, unless we go on for another hundred or so chapters.
I actually really, really, really don't want the manga to end in something like "Medaka beats Iihiko, everything is fine, Medaka and Zen get married, happy ending".

God, that'd be atrocious. I don't want the manga to end so underwhelmingly.

I'd really enjoy one or two last good arcs before the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
See, ultimately, the problem is this: No matter how much Nisio tries to convince us that Medaka has changed as a person, she hasn't, and she never will.
Yeah...it's the same problem as me.

It's pretty clear that Nishio really wants you to love Medaka, to cheer for her, to be relieved when she comes back to life. He really wants you to think she's changed and blossomed into this amazing character.

Only problem is, people can't do that. Because they don't feel the change. Nishio really dosen't know how to write Medaka in a way that feels human to most, so they themselves can't change with her.

The pivotal difference between Medaka and Zenkichi/Kumagawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
at least this "End God Mode" has interesting implications.
The final sliver of hope down the road, if you will.

Can you imagine how awesome the next arc would be if Medaka actually died for real? Just shut-up and take my imaginary money(since I'm not paying).

~~

Also, I have to say; Nishio, leave Shiranui out of this! Don't ruin her uniqueness by having her soften-up to everyone trying to save her at the last minute because of some generic shounen sacrifice bullshit of "I want to be friends!".
Sometimes the people who save you aren't people you'll like, and that's a reality that Shiranui could embrace, and Nishio could explore.

She's an unsociable and uncooperative minus who fell in love with one guy, even though she shouldn't have. If you take that away, you lose something to the genericness of Shounen. And keep-in-mind, there's a difference from that, to being ungrateful.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 17:57   Link #11783
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
At this point I would suggest them reread the series from the very beggining, so they can see how wrong is that "Medaka hasn't changed at all" statement.
How very Plus of you to say that.

But seriously, that's probably pointless. People like that could reread the manga a 1000 times and they wouldn't see it, because they don't want to see it.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:01   Link #11784
ccie20012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I actually really, really, really _WANT_ the manga to end in something like "Medaka beats Iihiko, everything is fine, Medaka and Zen get married, happy ending".
I look forward to such an this end.

But. Why not: Medaka beats Iihiko, everything is fine, ...... N Arc ... Medaka and Zen get married, happy ending
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:01   Link #11785
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
I love all the Medaka fans looking down their noses at the non-fans. You guys like her, that's cool. We don't. Let's just have a difference of opinion and let it go, ok?
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:04   Link #11786
Lupus753
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
You know, I've been thinking. What if a final villain was defeated by every hero fighting together and overwhelming him. That would tie in perfectly with typical Shonen values of friendship and teamwork.

But you never see it. It's always main villain versus main hero, no one else. I just think that undermines the message of teamwork that many of these manga try to evoke.

This was just an errant thought that crossed my mind and grew in it when I saw Medaka's body vibrations push Zenkichi away.
Lupus753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:12   Link #11787
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
You know, I've been thinking. What if a final villain was defeated by every hero fighting together and overwhelming him.
That's actually how I wanted Iihiko to be brought down.

Can you imagine how awesome a full-lenght, tag-team fight of Kumagawa + Zenkichi vs Iihiko would be?

The manga would implode from sheer awesome.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:14   Link #11788
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I love all the Medaka fans looking down their noses at the non-fans. You guys like her, that's cool. We don't. Let's just have a difference of opinion and let it go, ok?
This is a hilarious statement. It's the Medaka haters that bring up how much they hate Medaka at every single turn and they're the ones that look down their noses at Medaka fans as if liking her means you lack good taste.

But if you guys want to call it a difference of opinion, that's great. Just don't be passive-agressive about it.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:18   Link #11789
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
This is a hilarious statement. It's the Medaka haters that bring up how much they hate Medaka at every single turn and they're the ones that look down their noses at Medaka fans as if liking her means you lack good taste.

But if you guys want to call it a difference of opinion, that's great. Just don't be passive-agressive about it.
Hey, if you guys like her, I'm fine with it. But I see just as many of her fans yelling at her non-fans (or Zenkichi fans) as I do the other way around.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:19   Link #11790
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
It's the Medaka haters that bring up how much they hate Medaka at every single turn and they're the ones that look down their noses at Medaka fans as if liking her means you lack good taste
Not really.

I think it's fine for people to expouse their dislike of a character. But no-one here ever looked down on you or anything, or even addressed any possible Medaka fans. You must be assuming that they are, because they dislike the character.

You're the one whose doing that. People talking about why they hate the character dosen't mean that they are looking down on you. It just means they have different taste.

The equivalent would be you talking about how awesome a character Medaka is and why you liked her, but I never see anyone talking about that, all I see you talking about is the people who talk about Medaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Just don't be passive-agressive about it.
Careful, though, that's what you're doing. This isn't a statement you should throw around loosely, mind you.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:27   Link #11791
Alpha Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Hey, if you guys like her, I'm fine with it. But I see just as many of her fans yelling at her non-fans (or Zenkichi fans) as I do the other way around.
Who's yelling? For all I know I didn't use uppercase.
Alpha Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:30   Link #11792
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
Who's yelling? For all I know I didn't use uppercase.
More than likely that's just a figure of speech.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:37   Link #11793
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
That End God Mode reminds me of her black mode in episode 12. I like the design.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:38   Link #11794
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I like/hate Medaka if that helps.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:40   Link #11795
Lupus753
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Medaka is like Evangeline Mcdowell (maybe Nagi Springfield, but he barely appears) of Mahou Sensei Negima: she is both my favorite character and the character that I despise the most.
Lupus753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:41   Link #11796
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Hey, if you guys like her, I'm fine with it. But I see just as many of her fans yelling at her non-fans (or Zenkichi fans) as I do the other way around.
I suppose you have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
Not really.

I think it's fine for people to expouse their dislike of a character. But no-one here ever looked down on you or anything, or even addressed any possible Medaka fans. You must be assuming that they are, because they dislike the character.

You're the one whose doing that. People talking about why they hate the character dosen't mean that they are looking down on you. It just means they have different taste.
Medaka haters in general in this thread have an annoying tendency to act as if hating Medaka is natural and doing otherwise is tantamount to bad taste, but if you don't believe that, then kudos to you.

Quote:
The equivalent would be you talking about how awesome a character Medaka is and why you liked her, but I never see anyone talking about that, all I see you talking about is the people who talk about Medaka.
You're right, we don't often get comments about how awesome Medaka is a character. Now if only we didn't get spontaneous comments about how much people hate Medaka all the time.

Quote:
Careful, though, that's what you're doing. This isn't a statement you should throw around loosely, mind you.
Since this is coming from you, I'll be sure to properly reflect on my actions.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:54   Link #11797
ccie20012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I like Medaka. I hate Medaka some times (of course).
I like pair Medaka x Zenkichi.
And more more I like "happy end" in any story.
I am fan of "happy endings"
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 18:57   Link #11798
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Medaka haters in general in this thread have an annoying tendency to act as if hating Medaka is natural and doing otherwise is tantamount to bad taste, but if you don't believe that, then kudos to you.
However, even though people act as if it's natural to talk shit about Medaka, I'm just saying that I'm sure it's no objective affirmation that other people with different tastes, that do like Medaka, are below them in some way.

Even then, though, people will always think of their own opinions as better. That's just natural and inescapable. I do think that the manga would've been far better without Medaka, but I realize that's just the taste of one group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
You're right, we don't often get comments about how awesome Medaka is a character. Now if only we didn't get spontaneous comments about how much people hate Medaka all the time.
Well, like I said, I think it's perfectly natural, and in-fact preferable to never restrict either stuff like that. From both ends.

Of course, as long as it's talking about the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Since this is coming from you, I'll be sure to properly reflect on my actions.
Thanks! I really appreciate that.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 19:22   Link #11799
silvercover
Romance Expert
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
Medaka is like Evangeline Mcdowell (maybe Nagi Springfield, but he barely appears) of Mahou Sensei Negima: she is both my favorite character and the character that I despise the most.
ugh, I really dont see them to be similar enough.
perhaps negi if you reverse his worrying to medaka's confidence, somewhat plausible. but eva really? aside from being OP(though medaka's more on just luck than power), they're pretty different.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 19:28   Link #11800
Wolfenstein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
That End God Mode reminds me of her black mode in episode 12. I like the design.
Interestingly enough, the hair resembles Iihiko's hair.

Which makes sense, since the reason Iihiko was more powerful is because he was a more heroic main-character than Medaka, because that's what matters when two main characters fight, and when it all comes down to who fate will help win the battle, in the Medaka Box world.

I guess this is Nishio's way of telling us that Medaka's become...as heroic as past Iihiko?

Sounds silly, but hey, I guess that's how fate rolls on the streets of Medaka Box.
__________________
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.