AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from a Mental Disorder
Yes 16 26.67%
No 30 50.00%
Maybe 14 23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-28, 13:33   Link #21
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Probably the most stand-out thing is that I seem to be functioning like a really, really well-off autistic person. I can have emotions myself, and I recognize when other people have emotions, but I just don't see why I should care or do anything about them. I mean, If I don't like the way I'm feeling, I can just sort of "turn off" all feeling of any kinds, and then be totally normal a minute later, so I figure that other people should be able to do the same. My typical response to somebody who is sad, or angry, is commonly extreme boredom and strong wish for them to just go away because I think they're being stupid.

In contrast to my normally non-existent emotional state, one weird little thing is that I really, really don't like it when things break. If I accidentally step on a pencil and it snaps, I might start crying. Sometimes I've actually started crying while watching those scenes in movies where there's a shootout in a bar, because I don't like seeing all of the glasses and bottles break.

If somebody actually breaks something on purpose then I get really angry. Like if somebody is mad and they smash a glass or a dish, I will fly into a homicidal rage and attempt to inflict severe injury on the person. I'm not really sure why I do that, since there are a lot of things that can get broken that I don't care about. Like sticks, packaging, boards, logs. Maybe it's the act of something being broken for no real purpose that bothers me. I dunno. Either way, it's kinda strange.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 13:50   Link #22
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
@ Kusa-San

Oh, yes, nutcake is a nutcake and by this I mean these people who take a second degree in mental illness, if you want to be politically correct. I'm also sure there are nice classifications for every type of scrape and bruise.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 15:06   Link #23
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Mayhaps the original wording ought be changed....

Many people "have been diagnosed" with a psychological disorder, but are they SUFFERING from it?

The answer might surprise you....

I also note that a diagnosis does not necessarily mean you actually HAVE it; I have met far too many cases where someone was diagnosed with something simply because the shrink can then say "well you have to come in all the time now" and thus reap money from it.
Let's not even start me on the pharmaceutical aspects of it all....
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 15:27   Link #24
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio, Holy Empire of Britannia
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
as far as I know I have an anxiety problem, it is rather obvious, normally I'm quite a fun person but when in a crowd with strangers I hardly speak nor join in with the rest, I rather observe for half a year before even daring to speak. I hate speaking to large crowds and I start shaking badly because of trauma, it has gotten less now because I no longer cry in front of classes unlike 3 years ago, you can blame teasing for that kids never know what result their actions have when they throw paper balsl at you in front of class or yell things like hurry up you're taking so long. I can't have a decent discussion with someone either, specially one where someone insults me and I defend myself, I start shaking, sometimes lose track of what I say and start crying because I can't stand being yelled at.

As mentioned before thought he internet makes things a lot worse with people self diagnosing by merely going down a check list
o-o it never occurred to me that was a mental illness but reading that i'm pretty sue I have that too. Most of the things that you said happened to you happen to me when I try talking to people. My parents and teacher said I mumble and speak too quietly, I ended up cutting half the stuff out of a speech I had to give on a book because I was like, freaking out and stuff. >.< This strangely does not apply to when i'm on the internet though for some reason.
(since this was about listing mental illneses)I also have mild add(But I think it was said that doesn't count), and according to a friend am possibly gender confused.
__________________
Fear the wrath of mai bunny.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 15:30   Link #25
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
having a mental illness is NOT cool, kids. The only benefit to it is that it can acquit you in court if you do something stupid.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 16:04   Link #26
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
Probably the most stand-out thing is that I seem to be functioning like a really, really well-off autistic person. I can have emotions myself, and I recognize when other people have emotions, but I just don't see why I should care or do anything about them. I mean, If I don't like the way I'm feeling, I can just sort of "turn off" all feeling of any kinds, and then be totally normal a minute later, so I figure that other people should be able to do the same. My typical response to somebody who is sad, or angry, is commonly extreme boredom and strong wish for them to just go away because I think they're being stupid.

In contrast to my normally non-existent emotional state, one weird little thing is that I really, really don't like it when things break. If I accidentally step on a pencil and it snaps, I might start crying. Sometimes I've actually started crying while watching those scenes in movies where there's a shootout in a bar, because I don't like seeing all of the glasses and bottles break.

If somebody actually breaks something on purpose then I get really angry. Like if somebody is mad and they smash a glass or a dish, I will fly into a homicidal rage and attempt to inflict severe injury on the person. I'm not really sure why I do that, since there are a lot of things that can get broken that I don't care about. Like sticks, packaging, boards, logs. Maybe it's the act of something being broken for no real purpose that bothers me. I dunno. Either way, it's kinda strange.
I'm not an expert, but that sounds closer to antisocial behavior to me.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 16:37   Link #27
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I'm not an expert, but that sounds closer to antisocial behavior to me.
I dunno if I'd really say I was antisocial, since I sort of enjoy being around people. Heck, I just got back from spending 3 days at the FragFest LAN-party. It's sort of like watching ants, though. Usually I'd rather just watch everybody else do stuff than do it myself. Which isn't to say that I never do anything social, because I can interact with people quite normally if I have the correct prompting.

Ok, that sounds a little weird. Lemme see if I can explain. Say that I've been talking to someone at school everyday for the last three months. Now, one day I happen to see them in another building at school while I'm dropping off some papers. There is no dang way I'm going to go over to talk to that person, because I don't know if it's ok for me to talk to them anywhere else aside from the classroom. But if they come over and say something to me, I can typically assume that it must be ok for me to talk to them there, and I'll file that away as a suitable conversation area for that person. Repeat that for each person I happen to run into in a new place.

Basically I seem to expect there to be extremely well defined times and places for absolutely everything, so unless people make it very, very clear what it is that they expect me to be doing, I'm not gonna get it. If I don't think I know what's going on, then I will just try to be as quiet and benign as possible, because I don't like noise in general, and I don't want to bother anybody. That's actually why I had to stop practicing the piano a few years ago, because I would get really, really stressed out every time I went to practice, because I knew that other people in the house could hear it, and I really hate making any noise.

That's probably why I don't like it when stuff breaks unexpectedly, since I like to have such well-defined guidelines. So when something unexpected happens, I don't like it. I also find human emotions to be very volatile, and they often cause people to ignore logic, so that's probably why I don't like dealing with emotional people, since they are also sources of unexpected events.

As much as I hate surprises though, I have a great sense of humor, which is a little weird since humor is typically derived from the unexpected. Then again, I know how I'm supposed to respond to something that's unexpected and funny, so that's probably why it doesn't bug me.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 16:39   Link #28
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
If any unique behavior is considered a deviation from the norm. I fear how bland and lifeless normalcy must be.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 18:25   Link #29
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
So only 50 percent of you are definitely mentally healthy? Do you really believe that by yourself?

My advice is to consider which physical illness you would trade you mental problems against if you could. A cold? Tuberculosis? That puts things into perspective.

I have yet to encounter anything I'd trade against more than slight physical discomforts so I think I'm healthy. Or maybe I'm not but I definitely don't suffer under a mental illness.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 20:01   Link #30
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I hear voices in my head — all the time.








It's called inspiration, but others may think differently...
I call it my 6th sense.
Also known as female intuition.
Also known as the devil on my left (temptation) and the angel on my right (conscience)

The voices are prob a result of me mentally visualising the devil/angel concept, thus I hear the
"not a good idea, be careful what you say"
or the
"Go on... you know you want to~~"
but taking the phrase
"a voice in my head popped in, hence this guess/feeling etc" is kinda a literal, daily practice with me, I try to tap into my inner senses more than my outer

As for mental illness....
Well, I've been on the run from the asylum for ooh... 13 odd years yet, i think they've put an APB on me by now, hee hee.
Got called 'weird' almost every blessed week over my entire childhood, to the point my mother looked at me and said it kinda seriously
Purely on basis of my thought processes and stupidly over sensitive, all too vivid imagination.

But aside from that, I've no "official" mental illness.
I can get one if i visit a shrink, do a test and get a diagnosis though!

Disclaimer:
By no means am I belittling those who genuinely do suffer from mental illness, however I'm one of those cynical ones who can't help but think that when people go through a tough time, they look for instant answers, a classification, just wanna tag a name to something just to say:
'yes, i am this, therefore I cannot do this!'
And they don't even try, or make constant excuses and place the blame on said "diagnosis". -.-

As one of my relatives and close friends said when she told me about a rough, rough moment of her life and I asked her ‘how did you pull through this emotionally and mentally’?:

“I didn’t have time to be depressed and on pills, I got bills to pay and my kids to support.”
I can’t help but think we need more people with her attitude

There are times of severe depression for us all, but I'm not a general fan of shoving chemicals in my body to regulate my hormones when they're probably just fine on their own, more times than not, the real battle is summoning enough mental will power to fight with yourself and your inner demons in order to overcome things, thus I work through it, get on with life even if I am depressed to the ground and all I want to do is hide under my quilt and stay indoors for 2-3 weeks.

Anyways, side tracking, that'll be my 2 pence there.
(I'm another who spends waaaaaay too much time online as well, but am a healthy "normal" person)
Just as unhinged as the next random person online.
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 22:36   Link #31
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
By no means am I belittling those who genuinely do suffer from mental illness, however I'm one of those cynical ones who can't help but think that when people go through a tough time, they look for instant answers, a classification, just wanna tag a name to something just to say:
'yes, i am this, therefore I cannot do this!'
And they don't even try, or make constant excuses and place the blame on said "diagnosis". -.-
And the fact that a lot of practitioners love to label you with one ( or several ) of the many mental illnesses there may be, and love to prescribe medicine for you...
Having said that, (perhaps I'm just trying to justify my own experiences..) that these things do happen for medical reasons sometimes. Still, even if I did snap and resort to medication ( being the fragile kid that I am ), I like to believe it was a one time thing, and I dont suffer from any form of mental illness.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 22:47   Link #32
qwertyuiopz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
does insomnia count

i had to change my entire sleeping pattern :@
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:14   Link #33
Mauru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Ehh... you're not really anyone to judge. To put generalized labels on mental illness to that extent isnt exactly going to work. For example, for depression, while there are 'general' things that help, there is always something that helps more than others, and it varies from person to person. For me, it was just walking. Going for a long walk eased my worries better than anything else could. The same way, some things may not have the desired reaction - For me, when I had fallen into depression ( When I was trying to figure out what had happened to me myself, it takes a while before you can get an appointment with a shrink) I searched on the internet about what had happened to me. Although there were plenty of testimonials of people who had gone through the exact same thing as me and turned out fine, I solely focused on the ones which werent as hopeful, as you might expect a depressed an anxious person to do, which said something along the lines of ' well it happened when i was 17 and I'm 33 now and I still have nightmares' or ' yes, it happened to me and there was no cure, but then I turned to the power of god and everything became alright. please donate at this website'.
Under severe anxiety, it became nothing short of obsessive. I continued and continued searching even though I knew it was just making things worse, until I was literally gasping for air because my heart rate had increased so much. In retrospect, I believe that was what 'pushed me off the deep end' if you will. Therefore, for the rest of that time, the internet and computer only brought back bad memories, it was a few weeks before I actually used it again, posting some rather.. err..(fit in adjective) things on this website ( if any of you remember ).

My point being dont generalize that way because, frankly, you dont know about what goes through my head.
I am sorry I didn't made myself clear...I am sorry. What I wanted to say that when you are depressed or anxious the internet makes things worse, sometimes horribly worse....I understand you.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 23:55   Link #34
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asia Tour
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Did you know that phoebia is a mental illness ? Did you know that Social anxiety is a mental illness ? So you're saying that every person who have these symptoms are insane ?
So I guess almost all the people in this world have mental illnesses if you take into account phobia. I guess we're all scared of something
__________________


It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:08   Link #35
Mauru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
So I guess almost all the people in this world have mental illnesses if you take into account phobia. I guess we're all scared of something
A phobia and being scared of something are two different things.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:25   Link #36
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Like pretty much everyone has has mental illness, it's just that some people have an abnormal level of it. I sometimes do things that I look back upon and think "I must've been crazy at that time." Most of the mentally ill people I've met strike me as being normal except that one or a few aspects of their personalities are very exaggerated/uncontrolled compared to most people.

Other people I've met say that they have ADHD but to me it seems like a problem that can be fixed by the right self-imposed conditioning, rather than simply drugs, which I think are probably/most definitely overused.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:28   Link #37
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Like pretty much everyone has has mental illness
If that's the case, the only normal thing is the machine.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:42   Link #38
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
If that's the case, the only normal thing is the machine.
In that case why is my computer always messing up?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 01:24   Link #39
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
In that case why is my computer always messing up?
I meant the mechanical, impersonal state of mind. The one Communists want their citizens to be.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 01:46   Link #40
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Guys did you know that Paranoid Delusion is truly a part of my Mental Illness As I said last time? I mean I've always getting paranoid about what happened when i'm watchin anime shows like 2004's Chrono Crusade.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.