AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from a Mental Disorder
Yes 16 26.67%
No 30 50.00%
Maybe 14 23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-29, 05:13   Link #41
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
I do know from a fact that those who exhibit antisocial behaviour tend to have some form of mental illness, ranging from mild to full blown. This is due to antisocial being caused by rejection from too many people around them due to their eccentric behaviour.

So yeah, Thingle could be right about that "Normalcy is a cult".
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 05:34   Link #42
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
So I guess almost all the people in this world have mental illnesses if you take into account phobia. I guess we're all scared of something
Well yes you can say that. If you have a phobia you have a mental illness. Phobia is the most common one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru
A phobia and being scared of something are two different things
Well I don't agree when you have a phobia you're indeed scrared of something. For example, many people have the spider phobia.

But it's true that it's more than being scared.

Humm a mental illness is not really about to be different from other people but more to be ill because you're different from other people.
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 05:38   Link #43
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
I meant the mechanical, impersonal state of mind. The one Communists want their citizens to be.
I hereby decided to diagnose you with pure paranoia. Red scare, much?


What? My psychiatry degree? Of course I have one! Don't take that age thing seriously! And what's that about never diagnosing people you don't actually see? Oh? You aren't responding? Not actually talking to me now, huh? But I hear your voices! Clearly! See? Don't you see!? Of course I see! Why doesn't everybody see what I see? You say I was talking about voices not pictures? But I SEE you here and you are... Oh, oh! I get it now. Uh-huh. Nice try. You're out to get me don't you? Are YOU LYING to ME BOO you-

...

I'm sorry, but every forum thread about mental illness needs someone to act out like an idio-, I mean, a stereotype of a person with mental illnesses.

It also needs someone to self-diagnose himself with ADD, OCD, Aspergers (popular one that), and all sorts of cool and different kinds of teenage/emo/nerd illnesses, but that's already done, so...




More seriously, I find that certain mental illnesses that occur only in specific cultures to be highly interesting. The mix-and-match of cultural and actual physiological factors to create those kinds of illnesses are quite...intriguing. In a way.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:51   Link #44
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio, Holy Empire of Britannia
Age: 19
Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I hereby decided to diagnose you with pure paranoia. Red scare, much?


What? My psychiatry degree? Of course I have one! Don't take that age thing seriously! And what's that about never diagnosing people you don't actually see? Oh? You aren't responding? Not actually talking to me now, huh? But I hear your voices! Clearly! See? Don't you see!? Of course I see! Why doesn't everybody see what I see? You say I was talking about voices not pictures? But I SEE you here and you are... Oh, oh! I get it now. Uh-huh. Nice try. You're out to get me don't you? Are YOU LYING to ME BOO you-

...

I'm sorry, but every forum thread about mental illness needs someone to act out like an idio-, I mean, a stereotype of a person with mental illnesses.

It also needs someone to self-diagnose himself with ADD, OCD, Aspergers (popular one that), and all sorts of cool and different kinds of teenage/emo/nerd illnesses, but that's already done, so...




More seriously, I find that certain mental illnesses that occur only in specific cultures to be highly interesting. The mix-and-match of cultural and actual physiological factors to create those kinds of illnesses are quite...intriguing. In a way.
Thank goodness 'm not the only one who heard the voices.
__________________
Fear the wrath of mai bunny.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:05   Link #45
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
aaargh you're all insane
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 09:49   Link #46
justsomeguy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I do know from a fact that those who exhibit antisocial behaviour tend to have some form of mental illness, ranging from mild to full blown. This is due to antisocial being caused by rejection from too many people around them due to their eccentric behaviour.

So yeah, Thingle could be right about that "Normalcy is a cult".
Just a note, when talking about mental illness, "antisocial" refers to hostility against others, usually regarding psychopaths and sociopaths, who most definitely do have actual mental illness. I think you mean "nonsocial," rather than "antisocial."
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 12:42   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
aaargh you're all insane
Actually, that sort of sums up the thread....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 14:05   Link #48
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
aaargh you're all insane
Someone should correct you, it's should had be '' aaarhg we are all insane '' .
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 19:47   Link #49
Showtime
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Mental disorders say more about the society that diagnoses it than the individual himself.

Normality is a cult.
Ah, so would you call religion a mental illness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao
Other people I've met say that they have ADHD but to me it seems like a problem that can be fixed by the right self-imposed conditioning, rather than simply drugs, which I think are probably/most definitely overused.
This is true. Most of those popular and diagnosable "mental illnesses" are just old conditioned mind-patterns that people picked up over time, which can just as surely be changed by right thought patterns and right conditioning.

All those people being diagnosed as "clinical depression" ADHD or OCD are just victims of the greedy pharmaceutical industry.

Over-dependence on drugs is not the solution. The solution is to just simply develop willpower and generally live a healthy lifestyle.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 20:20   Link #50
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio, Holy Empire of Britannia
Age: 19
Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Ah, so would you call religion a mental illness?
Must...resist....urge......to....say.......yes.
__________________
Fear the wrath of mai bunny.

Last edited by Bad wolf; 2009-05-29 at 23:12.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 20:43   Link #51
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
I haven't seen a psychiatrist, but I can probably diagnose myself with ADD. My ability to distract myself completely is distressing sometimes.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 21:24   Link #52
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I haven't seen a psychiatrist, but I can probably diagnose myself with ADD. My ability to distract myself completely is distressing sometimes.
Ought not diagnose yourself with anything; there is a very distinct difference twixt being bored and easily distracted, and actually having ADHD...

Hence the abovementioned problem with it being overdiagnosed; nowadays if a child blinks at the wrong time during class they JUST be ADHD...

Teachers are wanting 5 yr olds to be tested for it, ffs...
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 00:50   Link #53
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I meant the mechanical, impersonal state of mind. The one Communists want their citizens to be.
Spoiler for off topic blabber:


Either way, I can tell I have a slight degree of chronic anxiety and a lack of focus due to that, but that doesn't mean I actually have a disorder. I mean, I can't always get to be the cool guy!
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 03:41   Link #54
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Going completely off topic, I'd say that yes, the perfect society is the completely emotionless one. !
wow. sucks you can't be the change though. must really be frustrating?

I think it's scary. The perfect society is a hive? Dry, detached zerglings serving the hive for no reason. I'm sure being reduced to the level of bees and ants is a very appealing thing *sarcastic*. If that's the case, who do you exist for? The collective, if that's so what's the collective? If there's noting to exist for? then why exist? Of course I'm positing humans at this point to be "de-emotionalized" to the extent that they do not think of themselves anymore. Heck, in your emotionless society, altruism might not even exist.

I also presume that the absence of emotion in your perfect society does not also take away reason, as the two are different things.

If our reason for existence is based only reason, then is it an act of unreason to keep existing when there's no reason to? Emotions make a big part of our reason to exist, dude. Take the fear of death as one example....or even the desire to serve the hive...or the happiness you and others feel when you serve well.

Anyhow, If the expression of the irrationality of emotion is an anomaly in a perfectly logical world, I would consider it a manifestation that "I am here and I exist". Let us all embrace our madness.

Last edited by Thingle; 2009-05-30 at 04:52.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 11:10   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I think it's scary.
Why? Do you really think you're going to see such a society?

I was talking about a theoretically perfect, stable society. No need to be happy, no need to be sad. I probably would hate to live in such a society, as well as everyone here, but that doesn't mean its theoretical members would--since, as I told you, emotions would be devoid of meaning. People like us who know what emotions are wouldn't be able to handle it. People who don't know what they mean, well... *shrug*.

(And once more, that's not what communism implies).
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 18:26   Link #56
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Whoa this test is fun...I'm a mental wreck xD
Paranoid, Anti-Social and Shizoid! Is taht even possible lol
i always new that I was anti social xDDD

I think this thread is a bit pointless. If it was asked to discuss mental illnesses, fine. But to ask if I'm ill?
Well I'm a cold hearted person, really cold hearted when it come to myself and feelings (not those of others though). But this doesn't count.
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 19:59   Link #57
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
No, I never had any mental illness nor have been depressed in my life. I must be pretty lucky then.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 23:27   Link #58
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Ought not diagnose yourself with anything; there is a very distinct difference twixt being bored and easily distracted, and actually having ADHD...

Hence the abovementioned problem with it being overdiagnosed; nowadays if a child blinks at the wrong time during class they JUST be ADHD...

Teachers are wanting 5 yr olds to be tested for it, ffs...
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people who were supposed to be ADHD. They're usually diagnosed based on the most minor and stereotyped "symptoms," like being twitchy, which typically indicates absolutely nothing. I mean, my right leg has a tendency to jog up and down a lot when I'm trying to pay attention to something, which prompted some people to say that I was ADHD when I was younger. Of course, over half the people in my college classes do the same thing, and I seriously doubt they're ADHD.

I am actually quite ADHD, and I take Strattera for it. I wasn't diagnosed until just before I started college, though, when I could tell for myself that I wasn't working quite right. I didn't have any hyperactivity, I just couldn't concentrate. I couldn't spend more than maybe ten minutes doing anything without getting seriously bored to death with it, even stuff that I really enjoyed doing. I'd take hours to finish eating a meal because I couldn't concentrate on it long enough to take more than a couple bites, and I was having a hard time turning my brain off long enough to get to sleep. It was all stuff that I'd noticed over the last few years, and it all kept getting worse until it started to drive me nuts. After a few weeks of taking Strattera on a trial prescription, I noticed that for the first time in a couple years I could actually sit down and get one thing done at a time, instead of starting two dozen other things and getting nothing done.

That's the sort of thing that ADHD really is. It's not just "oh, I get bored sometimes" or "sometimes I don't pay attention." It's when you can't do the things you really want to do because you just can't stand to think of one thing for more than a few minutes, and it begins to heavily impact your everyday life. That's why it always bugs me to see these people who want their kids screened for ADHD when they're not even in the 1st grade. More than half the time there's nothing wrong with the kid other than the fact that they just don't want to pay attention, or their parents let them eat the sugar bowl for a snack.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 00:26   Link #59
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
I didn't have any hyperactivity, I just couldn't concentrate. I couldn't spend more than maybe ten minutes doing anything without getting seriously bored to death with it, even stuff that I really enjoyed doing.
Yeah I probably have ADHD, since I have very similar problems. Like the fact that I'm supposed to be writing an essay on continuous revolution right now instead of this post, which I'm writing in spite of the fact that I like my essay's topic, it's just that I'm bored with it right now.
I don't see a need for drugs though; I'd only take those if I was really unable to get anything done, and even then I'd be cautious. Those things have all kinds of side effects and issues with them.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 00:26   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
aye.... as a diagnosed-as-an-adult ADD (not ADHD) and lots of research later, many children are "diagnosed" in error by family (general practice) doctors who aren't in the least bit qualified to make diagnosis of this type. Often teachers are the initiating culprits pressuring, either because they're clueless or because they're trying to manage way too many kids in one classroom - all of varying learning styles and speeds (thanks to "mainstreaming", a costsaving measure disguised as an academic initiative).

Seriously, unless you were diagnosed by a neurologist, a neuro physician, or psychiatrist AND one that has studied the family of behaviors characterized as "ADD/ADHD"... there's a fair chance you were misdiagnosed.

I simply had to learn coping skills the hard way because when I was a teen, it was called "you're a lazy daydreamer who zones out and if you'd just apply yourself you wouldn't have this trouble". I got through college by sheer stubbornness and went on to a pretty successful career as a systems engineer, though I have to deal with the problems I create for myself every single day. Currently trying to get my teaching certificate, partly with the idea of connecting with kids who have the same challenges.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.