AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 15.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 27.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 20.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-29, 08:16   Link #21
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd probably be pissed at Ohsugi if it weren't for the fact that I was in his shoes 6 years ago...
Old 2009-05-29, 11:17   Link #22
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
What are you talking about? The normal thing is to give his blessing and move on?
It is only a day or two after he discovered the newcomer. Is it normal to gives up a girl so easily? If he does so, probably he didn't care about her at all from the beginning.
Yep. This is a normal thing. Surpised? Well then, welcome to reality! Here dramatic fights happen rarely, specially if you see that that someone likes that other a lot.

Not to mention that he himself does not seem to have ever confessed either. He was just cowardly waiting for things to happen and when they did not he gets mad and jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I've found it a bit odd, Akira dreamed about Diana having wings and flying out with a "hostage", despite that in the "reality" he was unconscious at the time it was happening, so he shouldn't have been influenced by such an event.
Unconscious does not mean mean that he lost his subconsciousness too. It could well have recorded the events and presented to his consciousness in a form of dream.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-05-29 at 11:30.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:41   Link #23
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I'd probably be pissed at Ohsugi if it weren't for the fact that I was in his shoes 6 years ago...
Oosugi is the voice of reason in the group. Look about how all those fools jump in to try to help Akira without knowing how dangerous he can be. I know he is not doing it because he is wise, but because of his jealousy. I bet that if Akira was not "dating" saki, that Oosugi will be all for helping akira like the rest of the group.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:46   Link #24
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Unconscious does not mean mean that he lost his subconsciousness too. It could well have recorded the events and presented to his consciousness in a form of dream.
notice that his dream was not an exact representation of the event, so yes he must have been able to unconciously get a glimpse of the event. He doesn't remember how it happened and that Saki saw it.
Old 2009-05-29, 16:19   Link #25
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Oosugi is the voice of reason in the group. Look about how all those fools jump in to try to help Akira without knowing how dangerous he can be. I know he is not doing it because he is wise, but because of his jealousy. I bet that if Akira was not "dating" saki, that Oosugi will be all for helping akira like the rest of the group.
Good points. Although I think Oosugi's conservative nature might have made him more hesitant anyway. Akira and Pantsu seem to be taking over now: two brilliant but erratic figures, it seems to me. I expect they will end up proving the power of the NEET, however.

It didn't make Saki look too brilliant that she actually believed that Pantsu was a hikikomori because he didn't have any pants. Of course, her giving him pants will probably actually get him to go outside, lol.

This show seems to be pretty popular in the Chinese anime world, too. I haven't read any Chinese forums, but there are four Chinese fansubs of this episode up already. Not that I'm complaining: we're getting English fansubs pretty quickly, too.

On 2channel, this seems to be the fourth most popular show: K-On 217,000 posts; Saki 81,000; FMA2 45,000; Eden 34,000; Valkyria and Basara both 27,000.

As for actual TV ratings, last week's 5.0% put Eden in the top ten, at #10, according to 2channel. The early returns for this week show a 3.9% mark, lower than last week, but higher than any other of the less action-oriented eps.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2009-05-29, 16:56   Link #26
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Yep. This is a normal thing. Surpised? Well then, welcome to reality! Here dramatic fights happen rarely, specially if you see that that someone likes that other a lot.
Ahhh, sweet sweet reality, how I missed thou so much.

One thing I learned from this argument is that Omni is to be feared.

I think people who hates Osugi because they read his character like this: bend and twisted by his anger and jealousy, Osugi embarkes on a quest of separating the pair, which begins with digging up Akira's background.

Is that the real Osugi?

I think Osugi is just your normal guy (so far) who find that another guy appeared out of nowhere and take his (prospective) girl friend away. Naturally feeling anger, upset, jealousy, he couldn't let it go. Again, remember, this is only one or two days after the discovery. At certain moment curiosity and jealousy takes the better of him and he asks" who is this Akira guy anyway?" Is that a really unreasonable question to ask? If I am walking on the road and something hits me, then I would like to know what exactly hits me. So Osugi is still recovering from the shock and it is human nature to be a bit curious. Besides, Akira is not someone who everybody will trust with out any condition. I mean, seriously, who won't feel curious about a guy with no memory and owns deserted shopping mall?

Will the discoveries that Osugi finds leads to the actions that lots of us hates to see? Probably yes. But so far, I find the show's depiction of Osugi realistic and depending what actions he takes in the future, I might still argue that it is within line of reason( unlike lots lots other things in this show).

Quote:
Not to mention that he himself does not seem to have ever confessed either. He was just cowardly waiting for things to happen and when they did not he gets mad and jealous.
Won't the same be said between Saki and Akira? Neither of them has confessed. So technically no one is with anyone at the moment, then what do we fault Osugi for? Aren't we using double standard here? I don't see confession or no confession is the problem here.
Old 2009-05-29, 17:17   Link #27
Tale

I don't know hatred to these imaginary individuals from some board members but chemistry among them seems to be interesting.

While Hirasawa may be idealist despite being trying to be logical, I think Oosugi is just trying to be a realist rather than a romanticist or idealist..., however, I've got a hunch that No1. is going to play a role of more mature realist.

Saki seems to be more of sense rather than reason but I guess she has her own share of ego even in the reserved manner, considering her attitudes toward Akira, Oosugi, her family and the gyudon company ().
Old 2009-05-29, 17:31   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Won't the same be said between Saki and Akira? Neither of them has confessed. So technically no one is with anyone at the moment, then what do we fault Osugi for? Aren't we using double standard here? I don't see confession or no confession is the problem here.
Not really, because Saki is at least doing her best to know this guy, as she herself states in this episode. The mystery behind the phone, the selecao, etc; she wants to know everything, so she can understand who Akira really is. That's why she follows him.

Oosugi, on the other hand, is just oblivious to what is going on with Saki. When they meat on the train in episode 5, for example, she was obviously upset, yet he didn't realize that, because he was more concerned about his "I want to be a proper member of society" thing. He didn't even realize that's part of what Saki was troubled with.

So even if Saki hasn't confessed to Akira yet, her situation is pretty different to Oosugi's. He just doesn't get Saki. Never did and never will, because he isn't even trying. Yet, he still wants to "protect" her, to be her "knight". That's what pisses me off about him.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-05-29 at 17:42.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:03   Link #29
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Well to be fair Hirasawa didn't really jump at first. It took some persuading. The others seemed to trust Saki's judgement right off the bat. This is part of why I have a problem with her not being more concerned about Akira's past. If you're going to have a sponsor for your company it's usually wise to do research.

After seeing the episode myself, I have a different impression of what got Oosugi worked up. He actually only seemed mildly annoyed/petulant and jealous when he first put out the inquiry on Akira. But the multiple names and stuff seemed to be more than he was expecting to find out, IMO.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:10   Link #30
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
So even if Saki hasn't confessed to Akira, her situation is pretty different to Oosugi's. He just doesn't get Saki. Never did, and never will, because he isn't eve trying. Yet, he still wants to "protect" her, to her knight. That's what pisses me off about the guy.
I agree with the Oosugi not understanding Saki part. That's why they won't be a couple. But I don't think it is fair to say Oosugi is not trying. We were shown a few things that Oosugi did to please Saki. Judging how long they've known each other, I guess there were quite a few such examples. Admittedly, they produce poor results, but to discredit a guy's effort like that is kind too much. Saki is hard to understand. Neither her sister nor brother in law really understands her. How open has she been to Oosugi? I guess not much. Besides, I don't know how much Akira understand Saki. Lots of time it is more like that Akira's charisma and Saki's infatuation with her prince are playing the dominant role.

I don't terribly like Oosugi's character, whether he gets his "Johny" cut off or not does nothing to me. But I am just a bit surprise that people wants to see their canonical paring to happen so much that they won't tolerant anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
After seeing the episode myself, I have a different impression of what got Oosugi worked up. He actually only seemed mildly annoyed/petulant and jealous when he first put out the inquiry on Akira. But the multiple names and stuff seemed to be more than he was expecting to find out, IMO.
That's exactly my opinion as well. He didn't do it because he has any grand scheme behind it. It naturally happens because one thing leads to another.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2009-05-29 at 18:30.
Old 2009-05-29, 18:36   Link #31
golthin

Quote:
But I am just a bit surprise that people wants to see their canonical paring to happen so much that they won't tolerant anything else.
This is one of those rare cases where I would love a bittersweet ending, like Akira dying at the end and Oosugi moving on and with Saki waiting for Akira to return to her. I also found the hate for Oosugi funny, for the same reasons stated by Tom
Old 2009-05-29, 19:14   Link #32
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Ahhh, sweet sweet reality, how I missed thou so much.

One thing I learned from this argument is that Omni is to be feared.

I think people who hates Osugi because they read his character like this: bend and twisted by his anger and jealousy, Osugi embarkes on a quest of separating the pair, which begins with digging up Akira's background.

Is that the real Osugi?

I think Osugi is just your normal guy (so far) who find that another guy appeared out of nowhere and take his (prospective) girl friend away. Naturally feeling anger, upset, jealousy, he couldn't let it go.
That's where I see the difference. If you see that the one you like, actually likes other man you naturally feel jelous and all that, but turning into the action that can possibly screw that other person's life is something on a wholly different level.

Normally, you do not excatly give up but you do not push in too. Do not try to mess with the relationship if you see that the other cares about him/her.

Now if you start taking actions to separate those convinced that only you know what is right for the one you love - you need help. Because such conviction of ones truth over the others lead to birth of such nice people in our history like Stalin or Hitler (they also believed to know what is best for the others willing to stomp and mess with them if they held different position) It's a bad sign. It does happen in real life too as we are rather egocentrical creatures but it usually results in not taking action, but rather standing by, observing.

The reality of drama and fights is what has been formed by mass media, but reality is usually bit duller. It does not mean that it cannot happen, it can. It is just not normal to happen, and when it does the one on the wrong side is usually such psychopath caretaker.

Quote:
Neither of them has confessed. So technically no one is with anyone at the moment, then what do we fault Osugi for? Aren't we using double standard here? I don't see confession or no confession is the problem here.
There is no double standard. You just need to see Saki's reaction to Osugi and to Akira. Of course if you are an idiot, totally inept of reading peoples emotions then you may not realize. But if you are functioning normally you can see the difference between how she treats the two. Just because she did not put it into the words yet does not mean that the feelings are not there.

There is no double standard - there is nothing but simple seeing what is in front of you. Osugi just does not want to admit that (which is normal) and is starting to take actions based on that (which is not normal). And don't talk that he is careful - he is not. He is acting based upon his jealousy trying to protect something that was never his to begin with.

You know it's like a situation when some movie star marries some woman, who ends up being stabbed by some of his girl-fan 'for taking what is her's, as she liked that actor since her childhood'. Of course Saki does know Osugi but she does not truthfully acknowledge his presence.
Old 2009-05-29, 19:33   Link #33
Raiga
tl;dr

Pantsu = best nickname ever.

I think they explained at some point that it was a pun on his real name or something of the sort? What was the explanation? Didn't catch it.

Despite being not as action-packed as last week, the 22 minutes flew by again. Only three more episodes left. Can't wait to see how it's all resolved. ^^
Old 2009-05-29, 19:44   Link #34
~BC~

Quote:
Now if you start taking actions to separate those convinced that only you know what is right for the one you love - you need help. Because such conviction of ones truth over the others lead to birth of such nice people in our history like Stalin or Hitler (they also believed to know what is best for the others willing to stomp and mess with them if they held different position) It's a bad sign. It does happen in real life too as we are rather egocentrical creatures but it usually results in not taking action, but rather standing by, observing.
Not helping your cause at all when you jump to making comments like this. It really doesn't. Especially since we have yet to see what will come of Oosugi's discovery. What we see at the end of the episode is someone on the verge of panic; there are no grand schemes for tyranny and oppression here.

Quote:
He is acting based upon his jealousy trying to protect something that was never his to begin with.
He's protecting his friend; or are people only suppose to be protective of those they are romantically involved with.

Quote:
You know it's like a situation when some movie star marries some woman, who ends up being stabbed by some of his girl-fan 'for taking what is her's, as she liked that actor since her childhood'. Of course Saki does know Osugi but she does not truthfully acknowledge his presence.
Not really getting into the double-standard argument but this is another inappropriate comparison. Saki has known Oosugi for years; that can't be compared to some star and his groupie.
Old 2009-05-29, 20:37   Link #35
golthin

Quote:

There is no double standard. You just need to see Saki's reaction to Osugi and to Akira. Of course if you are an idiot, totally inept of reading peoples emotions then you may not realize. But if you are functioning normally you can see the difference between how she treats the two. Just because she did not put it into the words yet does not mean that the feelings are not there.
even Oosugi realize it. He even said it in episode 8, that even he has some pride, he realizes that she is with the other guy by her actions. She stood him up to go riding on his bike, regardless of the reasons. She needed someone to cheer her up and she never thought of Oosuki, their date didn't mean anything.
Old 2009-05-29, 21:27   Link #36
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
Not helping your cause at all when you jump to making comments like this. It really doesn't. Especially since we have yet to see what will come of Oosugi's discovery. What we see at the end of the episode is someone on the verge of panic; there are no grand schemes for tyranny and oppression here.
Oh but there is a tyranny in your actions when you are oppressing others opinion towards the matter just based on your owns. I am not saying that Osugi is something like those monsters, but those monsters always had this one specific feature in their characters - belief that their understanding is absolute and correct while everyone else's is wrong, and determination upon projecting their understanding to others by any means of possible.

Quote:
He's protecting his friend; or are people only suppose to be protective of those they are romantically involved with.
Again I see here a tyranny against one's own free will if that one is not given a choice of being protected or not. Hitler was also protecting the purity of his race as he crazily believed that all unluck and unhappiness in this world came from Jews (and other racial minorities) and the disappearing genocode of his nation (he really sincerely believed that).

In both cases we see tyranny of one's will upon the other. Just in one case it is interpersonal (one 'protects' the other) while in other international (one 'protects' the nation). Osugi does not show the cruelty of the later acts, but he certainly is showing his own will upon the others, not asking if it is needed or not, and believing that only he is right while Saki is too careless to realize.

I know that I would get some comments that my comparison is off, but I again I am not comparing Hitler or Staling to Osugi as a wholesome person but this particular drive in one's actions - a tyranny of will, throwing it upon the other without asking for a permission, just believing that you are right and other is wrong.

And while belief of ones truth is right, is common as we usually have big ego's, but a determination of act based on this will, is rarer, specially between people of a similar social status.

And if you truly believe that Osugi acts this way just because he is cautious about her as a friend then you are naive. It is an act of jealousy and not an act of friends care. Even if Akira would be much more ordinary person Osugi would still try to dig something up.

Quote:
Not really getting into the double-standard argument but this is another inappropriate comparison. Saki has known Oosugi for years; that can't be compared to some star and his groupie.
But she never acknowledged him as someone of a romantic status or interest (and thats where it matters). He was there but he was never there for her at the same time, so I do not think that my comparison is that far off. She never acknowledges him the way he wants to be acknowledged as he is simply not there in her mind map. But he still acts angry when she starts seeing someone else in there, conveniently hiding behind the mask of 'guardian' and 'protector'.
Old 2009-05-29, 22:07   Link #37
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Pantsu = best nickname ever. I think they explained at some point that it was a pun on his real name or something of the sort? What was the explanation? Didn't catch it....
His name is ITAZU Yutaka 板津豊. The kanji for his surname Itazu are 板, which can also be pronounced "pan," and 津, which can also be pronounced "tsu." So you could misread 板津 -- which is really pronounced Itazu -- as "pantsu."

They said he lost his only pair of pants two years before (they were blown away, probably off his balcony while they were drying) and has stayed in his room ever since then.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2009-05-29, 22:27   Link #38
Raiga
tl;dr

Oooooh that's pretty funny. As difficult as it makes it to learn, I love the puns and wordplays you can get with kanji.

For some reason I love little sidetrack stories like that. Just sorta adds depth and interest to the world.

Subs out, gg says they weren't sure about some of the translations, this discourages me... will have to wait till torrent finishes.
Old 2009-05-29, 22:33   Link #39
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
His name is ITAZU Yutaka 板津豊. The kanji for his surname Itazu are 板, which can also be pronounced "pan," and 津, which can also be pronounced "tsu." So you could misread 板津 -- which is really pronounced Itazu -- as "pantsu."
it is funny how the Japanese added kanji to their writing system to help with all the homophones of their language and after a little while those Kanji words ended having as many synonyms.
Old 2009-05-29, 22:35   Link #40
~BC~

@ Darknemo2000

You're needlessly throwing words around. How does him posting an inquiry keep Saki from doing whatever she wants to do. It doesn't. So even if you're not talking about the same level as Hitler and Stalin the words tyranny and oppression do not apply here. You're also ignoring what he said before he even put Akira into the system.

"So I'm the only one who didn't know?"

He thinks this is someone that everyone in the group has known about for a while and feels deliberately left out. He figures no one wanted to tell him so he'll find out on his own.
Closed Thread