AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 15.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 27.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 20.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-01, 18:39   Link #121
~BC~

It was interesting watching Akira this episode. His flaws seem more pronounced. It's funny how just last episode he was cursing Mr. Outside's existence and yet he seems to be settling into his messiah role quite nicely (whether he realizes it or not). There was just this...casual rudeness in the way he dealt with the Eden group. He's quite nonchalant in the way he assures them that he'll deal with any trouble that comes up. That's quite a contrast to something similar he said to Saki back in ep 5. That scene where Hirasawa has to remind him that he doesn't know Itazu's address is quite telling, I think.

I actually think what we've seen this episode is more of his original persona coming to the surface rather than something that's a result of his amnesia.
Old 2009-06-01, 18:49   Link #122
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
It was interesting watching Akira this episode. His flaws seem more pronounced. It's funny how just last episode he was cursing Mr. Outside's existence and yet he seems to be settling into his messiah role quite nicely (whether he realizes it or not). There was just this...casual rudeness in the way he dealt with the Eden group. He's quite nonchalant in the way he assures them that he'll deal with any trouble that comes up. That's quite a contrast to something similar he said to Saki back in ep 5. That scene where Hirasawa has to remind him that he doesn't know Itazu's address is quite telling, I think.

I actually think what we've seen this episode is more of his original persona coming to the surface rather than something that's a result of his amnesia.
seems like erasing his memory didn't work as he intended, he forgot events but he didn't lose the personality that caused those events. Actually, i think the memory erase will cause more problems, because the regret of the things he did wrong is not there so the chances of doing the same mistakes is increased.
Old 2009-06-02, 01:14   Link #123
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
seems like erasing his memory didn't work as he intended, he forgot events but he didn't lose the personality that caused those events. Actually, i think the memory erase will cause more problems, because the regret of the things he did wrong is not there so the chances of doing the same mistakes is increased.
that is because memories and skills are stored in separate parts of the brain.

people with amnesia can't remember where they live but they know how to tie their shoes

It is a pretty ingenious design. You don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:42   Link #124
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Rather than that, I think he doesn't even understand the troubles he causes and might cause. Just think of the fact he doesn't understand at all what "awkwardness" and "shame" mean. He can kiss a girl he barely knows as if that was nothing (Saki, but Diana as well if he didn't pass out). He caused the careless monday, he abducted 20.000 NEET and sent them to Dubai. He spent 1.5 billions yen just to save a guy he doesn't even know.
He's someone who thinks about something he wants to achieve and do that without thinking about the consequences, but that also goes for himself, so selfish is not the right word here. A selfish person thinks about himself, Akira doesn't (if not why he spent 1.5 billion?), he just doesn't think at all.
Yeah. akira isn't selfish. He just doesn't think things through properly.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:05   Link #125
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Interesting episode, with lots of potential answers coming our way and nuances from the characters, especially Saki and Akira. It was particularly curious how Saki looked like she was suspicious of Akira in a way; it kinda bugged me before how easily she came to trust him, though when I think about it now, it's understandable considering her tense and jumbled emotions during those times.

And yeah, have to agree that the eden system can be very dangerous without the proper system/people to moderate it; I'm not sure if Kamiyama can delve deeper into that issue without sacrificing the much needed Selecao plot development, but I do hope he can touch on that fascinating point further.

Also, was I the only who thought Akira looked particularly menacing in that last scene with Pantsu? Hmm...
Old 2009-06-02, 07:16   Link #126
~BC~

No. I thought the same thing. Though hopefully this won't end like the Kuroha arc.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:23   Link #127
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Menacing? Why you think so? He just smiles and says "aah"

Old 2009-06-02, 07:53   Link #128
~BC~

Honestly we've seen people with the monitor light shining in their eyes before but something about the way they showed it with Akira seemed different. The way they placed the shadow over his face as you see the little specks of light shining in his eyes. Couple that with the tone of the music and the implications of Oosugi's discovery and it's easy to come to that impression. Of course, that doesn't mean anything will come of it.
Old 2009-06-02, 08:21   Link #129
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Menacing? Why you think so? He just smiles and says "aah"
So does Lelouch but it still freaks me out.

Quote:
Honestly we've seen people with the monitor light shining in their eyes before but something about the way they showed it with Akira seemed different. The way they placed the shadow over his face as you see the little specks of light shining in his eyes. Couple that with the tone of the music and the implications of Oosugi's discovery and it's easy to come to that impression. Of course, that doesn't mean anything will come of it.
I think it just meant that Akira was going to do something big.
Old 2009-06-03, 00:49   Link #130
Mandoric

Quote:
That scene where Hirasawa has to remind him that he doesn't know Itazu's address is quite telling, I think.
Isn't that scene as much to establish Hirasawa catching him out knowing things he couldn't? The Ohsugi thing could be written off as a hunch or independent research into an urban legend, especially with Saki covering for him, but "knowing" a friend's address by nickname is harder to sweep under the rug.
Old 2009-06-03, 04:31   Link #131
anomono

As Haak says above, Akira just doesn't think ahead. Though, I think it would be more appropriate to say that he gets ahead of himself, because it isn't like he is thoughtless, there is just a bit of lag.

There have been two examples of this in the past; one at the airport, and one on his bike on the highway. Akira probably wouldn't have made it far beyond the door before turning around to ask for directions, as he did in the other cases.

The recent discussion seems to be heaping insult on Akira where he clearly doesn't deserve it. He will do everything he can to not endanger others. Not sharing all the details of his crazy situation could very well be a part of this; that doesn't mean he is lying or evil. He is trying to make the best of the situation, within the bounds of reality.

What other option does he have, if he doesn't want to involve people? I can think of only one. Either voluntarily, or by the supporter guy after he abandons his "obligation" to go live in seclusion.
Old 2009-06-03, 06:14   Link #132
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomono View Post
What other option does he have, if he doesn't want to involve people? I can think of only one. Either voluntarily, or by the supporter guy after he abandons his "obligation" to go live in seclusion.
he has his phone and all the resources it can provide. It is just more convenience to involve other people. Akira doesn't seem to be a very smart and technical guy and having people that are not bought with the technical expertise is better. Akira is street smart, but he needs book smart people that are loyal and you can't buy loyalty.

Last edited by golthin; 2009-06-03 at 08:21.
Old 2009-06-03, 07:54   Link #133
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomono View Post
What other option does he have, if he doesn't want to involve people?
That's the thing though. He's already got them involved.
Not knowing what's going on is only going to harm them, imo.
Old 2009-06-03, 08:26   Link #134
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's the thing though. He's already got them involved.
Not knowing what's going on is only going to harm them, imo.
We know that he does care if somebody gets hurt, the problem is that he doesn't seem to have the common sense to think that involving the eden gang can place them at harm. He has proven twice that he can worry about others and put his own life in the line for them. It is a difference between being heroic and having common sense.
Old 2009-06-03, 08:28   Link #135
Haak
F**k my life...

I know, I know. Akira is a nice person and is very considerate. I just made the point that he doesn't think things through.
Old 2009-06-03, 09:14   Link #136
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
Isn't that scene as much to establish Hirasawa catching him out knowing things he couldn't? The Ohsugi thing could be written off as a hunch or independent research into an urban legend, especially with Saki covering for him, but "knowing" a friend's address by nickname is harder to sweep under the rug.
Yes but I'm talking about the reason Akira even makes that mistake in the first place. Also we already know before this that Hirasawa is still suspicious. He just gave him another reason. As for what I said about Oosugi...I think you may have missed my point about mood-building at the end of the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomono
The recent discussion seems to be heaping insult on Akira where he clearly doesn't deserve it. He will do everything he can to not endanger others. Not sharing all the details of his crazy situation could very well be a part of this; that doesn't mean he is lying or evil. He is trying to make the best of the situation, within the bounds of reality.
This series is pretty much about finding out who Akira really is so it's hardly an insult to call his character into question. That's what we're suppose to be doing. I'm just looking at the gray areas.
Old 2009-06-03, 21:58   Link #137
achirist

Yeah, Saki is too self-centered to care or think about other people or what SHE does to them, but has no problem with randomly blowing people off and snooping behind others backs. Thankfully, nothing happens to anyone but the selecao themselves, so no one else is in danger.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:30   Link #138
~BC~

Did you miss the episode where Kondo had three people shot dead (one an innocent bystander)? Akira is involved in a dangerous game that involves corrupting police and government officials. Anyone who knows too much about it runs the risk of ending up dead. Really, it's just common sense.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:55   Link #139
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Really, it's just common sense.
That's what Akira lacks the most.

Old 2009-06-07, 21:35   Link #140
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
What about: Irresponsible?
How about an awakening Messianic Complex (Messiah Complex)?