AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-04, 11:05   Link #621
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Ok, finaly watched the first episode.

Well not bad at all, after some of the comments here I somewhat suspected some utterly crap Haruhi-rippoff... well it was neither.

I'm still undecided if i follow it or not, maybe next episode helps.
Old 2010-04-04, 11:15   Link #622
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

About Yuri, her death should be the most interesting one out of the entire cast. After all, she was, apparently, the first person to have had staged this "rebellion" against God. I'm guessing it's something like being at the brink of success but suddenly failing at the very last (possibly trivial) moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
If they had come to terms with their deaths they wouldn't be rebelling against the afterlife. What they're doing is escapism and running away from their problems. I find it slightly hard to sympathize with them for this reason but I expect it to be addressed by the plot in later episodes.
That's the thing though. They are facing their problems. They are trying to figure out their world with the slight hope of encountering the supposed God and hopefully finding out a way to get back to their old bodies alive (or get a second chance at their last moments). Well, if that can't be considered as "facing their problems" then I don't know what can be considered in this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Hm.. someone in the TW boards raised some interesting points.

-The "Beats" in the title is not about "beating" god/angel, it actually heart "beats"
-The heart beat in the eye catch.

Coupled with the possible matrix world the coma theory certainly got a lot of weight, Vanilla Sky?
Hm, this looks interesting. I agree the eyecatch beat certainly looks like a single heartbeat in those ECGs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I'm asking these questions because I still don't quite have my head wrapped around why they did Operation Tornado. Was the purpose to get meal tickets, which is why they are eating in the final scene, or was it all just for fun?
Yes, I believe their main objective was to get meal tickets. My reasoning for this is perhaps their budget has been cut or they were spending their budget on other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Spoiler for Source of the weapons:
Is this from the prequel novel? Do you have a source for translations?
Old 2010-04-04, 11:42   Link #623
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Yes to the first, and nope to the second. It's in chapter 5. Since they've laid out the general premise, the second episode will probably cover some of these gritty details.

Oh ho. The heartbeat interpretation totally makes sense. They even wrote AngelBeats as one word, sort of...
Old 2010-04-04, 12:02   Link #624
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

I've decided to just accept the events of ep1 as it happened and then wait for a proper explanation later, as usual Key keeps me in the dark until the end. But im still questioning the "why" aspect of the show...One of my biggest questions is the reason why they engaged Angel outside the hall, or in the other way...why did Angel attack them, was she even attacking them? The way I saw things play out, Angel didnt pursue them after their attack..but the SSS pretty much just blocked her way and attacked her...so is it really true that the SSS is just randomly picking fights with Angel and she is just trying to defend herself? Yuri did say they are doing it just cause they dont want to be like NPCs, thinking of it this way...you could even call the SSS the bad guys in this lol
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 12:40   Link #625
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
I've decided to just accept the events of ep1 as it happened and then wait for a proper explanation later, as usual Key keeps me in the dark until the end. But im still questioning the "why" aspect of the show...One of my biggest questions is the reason why they engaged Angel outside the hall, or in the other way...why did Angel attack them, was she even attacking them? The way I saw things play out, Angel didnt pursue them after their attack..but the SSS pretty much just blocked her way and attacked her...so is it really true that the SSS is just randomly picking fights with Angel and she is just trying to defend herself? Yuri did say they are doing it just cause they dont want to be like NPCs, thinking of it this way...you could even call the SSS the bad guys in this lol
Well yea, it's pretty obvious that SSS is the aggressors, that's why Otonashi is having a moral dilemma, about how long he'll stay in the SSS.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 12:55   Link #626
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
you could even call the SSS the bad guys in this
Ironically, that would be my current take on things as well. Well, outright "bad" guys might be a bit of a strong label, but there has been nothing to present them as the "good" guys either. For all intents and purposes they seem to be the ones intent on ruffling the feathers and going against the natural order of this world, and picking fights with Tenshi along the way. Based on the unfounded guess that reincarnation (also an assumption of what is actually happening) is a bad thing. Personally i like this kind of ambiguity, as it opens path for all sorts of interesting developments down the road, but i most certainly have no reason to cheer for the SSS brigade in the fights they pick with Tenshi as things are now - the opposite, if anything, which doesn't make it less interesting
Old 2010-04-04, 13:05   Link #627
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
The fact no Nazi was ever excommunicated from the church;
Nonsense. Source, please.

Quote:
the holocaust deniers residing at the highest seats of the organization
Also mostly nonsense. In fact, recently the attempted "remerging" of the Pius Brotherhood around Williamson failed exactly because of the fact that he _is_ a holocaust denier.

Quote:
the signing of the Reich Concordat;
Happened in 1933 and is still valid nowadays. I believe you have no clue what the Concordat is actually about, otherwise you wouldn't list it.

Quote:
their compliance toward the Nuremberg Laws
Wow, I didn't know that churches can "opt out of" national laws. Naturally they can't, so that's nonsense, too. If anything, it was exactly due to pressure of the Catholic Church that the Rassegesetze weren't even worse (initially they wanted even harsher rules on mixed marriages with jews which were _canned_ due to resistance of the catholics. You wanna read up on that some)

Quote:
by supplying marriage and baptism registries to the Nazis...
Source.

Strange that you failed to mention the official stances of the Catholic Church, in particular the encyclical "With burning anxiety" from Pope Pius in 1937. Also strange that you fail to mention that it was mostly catholics who were forming the resistance movements against Hitler, and strange that you fail to mention that it catholics were officially among the targeted and persecuted groups by the Nazis.

If you really want to look at complicit christians, look up "Deutsche Christen". However, they weren't catholics. They were protestants.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:22   Link #628
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Ironically, that would be my current take on things as well. Well, outright "bad" guys might be a bit of a strong label, but there has been nothing to present them as the "good" guys either. For all intents and purposes they seem to be the ones intent on ruffling the feathers and going against the natural order of this world, and picking fights with Tenshi along the way. Based on the unfounded guess that reincarnation (also an assumption of what is actually happening) is a bad thing. Personally i like this kind of ambiguity, as it opens path for all sorts of interesting developments down the road, but i most certainly have no reason to cheer for the SSS brigade in the fights they pick with Tenshi as things are now - the opposite, if anything, which doesn't make it less interesting
Pretty much this, I have also said that the SSS brigade didnt strike me well a few pages ago for the same reasons. Yuki seems to be a nonaggressive entity in their world and they just keep picking fights.

There is one possibility on why they assume being "erased" is bad though, and that is that Haruhi and the rest of the brigade each did something really really bad during their lives and they are assuming that it is a punishment. As for Kyon, his memories may be key on why they are acting that way.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:26   Link #629
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Pretty much this, I have also said that the SSS brigade didnt strike me well a few pages ago for the same reasons. Yuki seems to be a nonaggressive entity in their world and they just keep picking fights.

There is one possibility on why they assume being "erased" is bad though, and that is that Haruhi and the rest of the brigade each did something really really bad during their lives and they are assuming that it is a punishment. As for Kyon, his memories may be key on why they are acting that way.
Could you please stop that. It's really starting to get annoying for me personally, this is Angel Beats not Haruhi so please refrain using names from a completely different anime.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:33   Link #630
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Could you please stop that. It's really starting to get annoying for me personally, this is Angel Beats not Haruhi so please refrain using names from a completely different anime.
I will oblige most likely in episode two when distinguishing features are brought to light. Also: Take anime with a grain of salt, it isnt as though I dislike the show for that, I am just recognizing the paridody in episode one. Anyway, if it wasnt a parody, the writers need to be fired.
Old 2010-04-04, 14:38   Link #631
DeX-kun

Quote:
I will oblige most likely in episode two when distinguishing features are brought to light. Also: Take anime with a grain of salt, it isnt as though I dislike the show for that, I am just recognizing the paridody in episode one. Anyway, if it wasnt a parody, the writers need to be fired.
I would appreciate it if you could stop as soon as possible. With all the unmerited negativity surrounding the similarities, it's beginning to become grating and a distraction when trying to discuss this series.

Also, it might be a bit early to determine whether this series is a parody or not. Either way, let's not begin jumping to conclusions when we've only seen the first episode.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-04, 14:47   Link #632
Midonin
Last Engage

The show, so far, does attempt to be telling its own story. Other than preconceived notions from the character designs, there's nothing to suggest parody at all and everything to suggest that it is genuinely trying to tell its own narrative.

I've always found that weird. Something just being silly is generally frowned upon, whereas people are willing to justify everything by claiming status of parody.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 14:51   Link #633
alu546
y prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I would appreciate it if you could stop as soon as possible. With all the unmerited negativity surrounding the similarities, it's beginning to become grating and a distraction when trying to discuss this series.

Also, it might be a bit early to determine whether this series is a parody or not. Either way, let's not begin jumping to conclusions when we've only seen the first episode.
Well, I suppose. I must confess one thing though, Otanashi is actually the most distinguished of the bunch, Kyon for him is just for fun. I dont really understand the bashers though, seems they were just people who decided not to like this series before they learned anything about t. In the grandscheme of things, most of them dont know much besides a one paragraph description.(Also, this seems to happen alot lately) Sadly, these people usually cannot be reasoned with anyway.

EDIT: Midonin: Indeed, character design similarities are pretty much the only thing that links the different characters that I poke fun at. In terms of plot and story, we are in agreement as well.

Last edited by alu546; 2010-04-04 at 15:05.
Old 2010-04-04, 14:51   Link #634
Raa
Sceptic

The first episode was intriguing, and that's more what one can expect these days, hopefully it'll deliver later.
Raa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 15:01   Link #635
Haak
Forever Alone...

I don't really mind all the Haruhi comparisons, but to be honest, I'm already liking Angel Beats more than I did Haruhi...
Old 2010-04-04, 15:10   Link #636
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Yuki
Tenshi looks more like Johann's Pen mode Index (Pendex) than Yuki though. Their abilities might look similar, but then you could say that she's more like the Agents in The Matrix. Otonashi reminds me more of Araragi than Kyon. The only legitimate comparison is Yuri ~ Haruhi.

On the SOS-dan -> SSS: SSS doesn't need the dan/brigade suffix. It already translates to Afterlife Battlefront. Making it Afterlife Battlefront Brigade sounds quite silly.
Old 2010-04-04, 15:30   Link #637
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The show, so far, does attempt to be telling its own story. Other than preconceived notions from the character designs, there's nothing to suggest parody at all and everything to suggest that it is genuinely trying to tell its own narrative.
Yes, you're right. Besides, Maeda isn't necessarily known for doing parodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I've always found that weird. Something just being silly is generally frowned upon, whereas people are willing to justify everything by claiming status of parody.
Ironic, isn't it?

Quote:
Well, I suppose. I must confess one thing though, Otanashi is actually the most distinguished of the bunch, Kyon for him is just for fun. I dont really understand the bashers though, seems they were just people who decided not to like this series before they learned anything about t. In the grandscheme of things, most of them dont know much besides a one paragraph description.(Also, this seems to happen alot lately) Sadly, these people usually cannot be reasoned with anyway.
I apologize if I come off as harsh in some way. Admittedly, I initially thought you were a part of the group that bashes this series for the respective reasons I mentioned earlier. Even so, I've just grown tired of them and I'm hoping to be able to discuss this series without the headaches.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-04, 16:12   Link #638
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
You reminded me of a blog comment I saw that had an interesting take on the roles of Tenshi and SSS:

Quote:
Actually, when I first watched the ep, I thought the Angel was the PC.

I skimmed the ep on the first “play through” and landed on how they were talking about NPCs and stuff. Then when I watched the actual ep, complete with how the Angel was being specifically targeted?

Yeah, that’s my honest to goodness vibe. I thought that the Angel was the PC, since she’s not only targeted by all hostiles in the game world, but it’s noted she speaks less than NPCs. And we all know that PCs don’t talk much in game worlds.

In other words, we’re watching from the perspective of the infinitely re-spawning enemy, who commit crimes against the innocent and ignorant NPCs, and face off against a high/mid level PC.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 16:29   Link #639
Bri

Enjoyed the first episode. I hadn't read up on the Angelbeats nor seen the trailer so went in completely blank. The lighthearted atmosphere was a pleasant surprise, I kind of expected it to be darker. It fits well with the over the top concept, but it wont be a KEY production if it doesn't get more dramatic later on.

Happy to see that Miyuki Sawashiro got a part as VA in this anime, loved her distict voice in Canaan tho Iwasawa looks to be a minor character.

I'm really getting a Gurren Lagann vibe from the show so far (and I say that as a compliment), a group of rebels not accepting their fate and taking on the impossible with the same quirky humor.
The afterlife situation kind of reminds me of an MMO. NPCs, player/character ressing on the spot fully healed after a timed interval, a quest for supplies, an impossible to kill elite and did Nobo just corpse camp poor Otonashi?

The visuals were a bit of a surprise, I sort of expected it to look more like Canaan, but I guess the KEY input is quite strong, making it resemble Kanon and Clannad as well. Na-Ga seems influenced by KEY colleague Itaru Hinoue's designs.

Wish we could avoid the shipping contest between Haruhi/Kyoani fans and opponents in regard to AB but that seems fairly futile

Last edited by Bri; 2010-04-04 at 16:56.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 16:59   Link #640
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Tenshi looks more like Johann's Pen mode Index (Pendex) than Yuki though. Their abilities might look similar, but then you could say that she's more like the Agents in The Matrix.
I wouldn't be surprised 2 "tenshis" also appear, and we have lots of inner conversation between them if that happened.

EDIT: If it does happen, we need a twintail and one single ponytail tenshis for lolz.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key