AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-02, 15:07   Link #1
cheese4u
da big boss

action, romance...anything

I'm basically looking for anything at all to watch, cause I haven't watched anything new since last summer. I'm looking for something of either the action or the romance variety. Here's a few ideas of what I like:

Action:

Kenichi
Naruto
One Piece
Air Gear

To sum it up, just something with a lot of techniques in it, preferably fighting techniques, but if its a prince of tennis type deal then that's ok too.

Romance:

Tonagura
Canvas
Ichigo 100%
Ouran High school host club
(and especially) Da Capo

In the romance department I love harems like Da Capo, and I also enjoy romantic comedies, but I DESPISE DEPRESSING ROMANCES. I'm looking for something with an upbeat feel to it, A little drama is ok, but nothing overwhelming like Myself; Yourself.

If someone can help me find something like the ones I mentioned above I'd greatly appreciate it.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps

Last edited by cheese4u; 2009-06-03 at 12:46.
Old 2009-06-03, 01:24   Link #2
velvet nightmare

action: soul eater

romance: tora dora

relatively recent ones i can think of
Old 2009-06-03, 06:57   Link #3
KimmyChan

Action: Bleach, D.Gray-Man Black Cat & Buso Renkin

Romance: Shuffle!, Kanon, Air, the Aria series

Hope these few suggestions of mine are good one for you
Old 2009-06-03, 08:06   Link #4
owq

I think you should try Hayate no Gotoku. It is mainly comedy/randomness and has a small tiny bit of romance. Although it has many references to other anime, it is still funny without knowing the references. It's a combination of action/comedy/slice of life/romance.
Old 2009-06-03, 12:45   Link #5
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyChan View Post
Action: Bleach, D.Gray-Man Black Cat & Buso Renkin

Romance: Shuffle!, Kanon, Air, the Aria series

Hope these few suggestions of mine are good one for you
Thanks but isn't Air really depressing? I've never seen it before I just heard that it was.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-06-03, 12:55   Link #6
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I don't know about 'depressing', but there are really sad [moving] parts. It just depends on how you look at it. But it doesn't seem you're looking for series like Kanon and Air, since they rely heavily on drama, which you don't want too much of. I don't think Aria is romance.

I'll second:
D.Gray-Man [Action]
Hayate no Gotoku [Comedy/Kind of romance]

Also, I'll add:
Fate/Stay Night [Action]
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's [Action. You'll have to watch the first season if you haven't.]
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann [Obligatory action/romance recommendation, although there isn't a lot of different techniques.]
To Heart 2 [Romance. I personally like watching the OVAs more than the series, but that's just me.]
Old 2009-06-04, 16:18   Link #7
Niji

For action try Samurai Champloo - action, upbeat, cool.
Also Shura no Toki - if you like martial arts, a must IMO. Somewhat episodic (3 distinct arcs?)
Old 2009-06-04, 17:04   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Action:

Sengoku Basara (currently up to 9 eps)…The first anime where watching the raw doesn’t really pi$$ me off, it’s almost too much action…$hitloads of awesome techniques and visual superiority to pretty much every action title I’m watching right now..

Hitman Reborn…It’s more in-line with the Naruto-Air Gear sorta crowd (Well before Naruto sucked)…If you haven’t seen it yet you have a good 130 plus episode cushion…That should help since the beginning of the series is kinda slow, but once it gets going it’ll give you those cool-shonen moments I know you are looking for…Lots of special techniques to boot...

Gintama = Pwns all… It’s too early for me to say this since I’m not even mid-way through it, but this might be the best shonen ever…When I watch this show I get that feeling from back when I first watched anime…The inner boyish smile comes outta me…Lots of comedy to go along with lots of good action…

Romance:

Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) – The most creative love story anime in-terms of tone and expressionism that I’ve ever watched…

ParadiseKiss
– A romance anime for those done with the go-nowhere harem bull$hit and ready to step up to a more adult story…Yes that was a jab @ Shuffle^^…

Anything:

Moonlight Mile…No one talks about this one because it’s too good for words…The animation is phenomenal, and the story and adventure will leave you in the clouds…Another more adult themed show with a bit of romance, action, and adventure…Even a few risqué moments^^…

Guin Saga…Man with the head of a Leopard protects 2 girls from a rotten empire who betrayed and killed their royal family (Set in medieval type days)…He kicks a$$, but it’s a pretty strange show…Give it a try…
Old 2009-06-04, 23:52   Link #9
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

For action, I'll say Samurai Champloo and for romance Kare Kano(It didn't finish the story during the anime since it only covered 7 volumes out of 21 volumes. However, just read the manga afterward and its really good).
Old 2009-06-08, 01:05   Link #10
cheese4u
da big boss

Thanks to Velvet Nightmare for suggesting Tora Dora, that was almost exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm kinda amped up on Romances and was wondering if some one could suggest me one like Toradora or preferably one similar to Da Capo, because I absolutely loved Da Capo!!

Also I'm a little on the fence about a few shows because, if I haven't said it enough already, I hate really depressing romances. So if someone could tell me if any of the following series will have me depressed I'd greatly appreciate it:

School Days
Air
five centimeters per second
H20 footprints in the sand

(Please answer both parts of my question if you can)
Old 2009-06-08, 01:17   Link #11
blewin

Haven't seen the others, but AIR can be depressing.... particularly the ending.

Action
Hunter x Hunter - pretty cool storyline, characters technique. Very worth watching.

I second Katekyo Hitman Reborn for its diverging aspects from typical fighting genre.

Romance

If you like Ouran High, you might like Special A. They're kind of similar.

Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile are also excellent choices. No, brilliant choices!

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-06-08, 08:01   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Sounds like you are looking for Ranma 1/2

Lots of Martial Arts fighting stuff

A romance with massive overlapping harems

And it's all played for comedy. Just be sure to watch the subs instead of the dub. (I guess that's just my opinion, but I think only Nabiki and Kuno come out right in the dub, and they are secondary characters).

If you insist on having a more modern version- I think Hayate the Combat Butler is similar in style, although Hayate tends to angst a bit more about his past then Ranma.

Others you might want to check out:

Full Metal Panic (action and romance)
Soul Eater (action)
Maison Ikkoku (best romance anime ever, depressing during parts but a wonderful happy ending that does not seem forced).
Old 2009-06-08, 10:35   Link #13
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Oh, School Days can leave anyone depressed, after it ends. However, some people might also find the ending exhilarating, so, your mileage may vary.

Old 2009-06-08, 13:17   Link #14
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, School Days can leave anyone depressed, after it ends. However, some people might also find the ending exhilarating, so, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the heads up. So is there anything similar to School Days, that's not quite as depressing, that you would recommend?
Old 2009-06-08, 15:33   Link #15
BetoJR
... suki ...
*Artist

Actually, all those four you listed in your post (that included School Days) could be considered terribly depressing, after a fashion. Lots of good suggestions here, already and I see you enjoyed Toradora! so... you could also check out Lovely Complex and Itazura na Kiss. They're very enjoyable romantic comedies that don't overdo the drama.

Old 2009-06-08, 19:10   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd shy away from School Days like a white-hot flame of death.
Old 2009-06-08, 22:09   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Dang, I guess everyone's suggestions in the top-half of the thread are dead meat eh? Seems to me you just want a good romance that's not tragic...I don't want to overwork my fingers and get ignored again, so I'll just say: BECK...
Old 2009-06-08, 22:37   Link #18
Mooglar

Send a message via AIM to Mooglar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post

Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile are also excellent choices. No, brilliant choices!
I second this

Quote:
I'd shy away from School Days like a white-hot flame of death.
Agreed, it pulls you in and then makes u pretty pissed off... at least to me ><

Romance: Myself Yourself

Action: Berserk
Old 2009-06-08, 23:02   Link #19
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooglar View Post
I second this

Agreed, it pulls you in and then makes u pretty pissed off... at least to me ><

Romance: Myself Yourself

Action: Berserk
Lol, Myself; yourself was my bad example at the top, but thanks though. Especially for the School Days comment, if it is what you say it is then that's exactly the kind of anime I'm trying to avoid. I got sucked into three or four of those last summer, and I'm not going back to that.

@Wing Darkness

I heard Beck was good, but something turned me off from it, I'll definitely give it a try though.
Old 2009-06-08, 23:27   Link #20
Mooglar

Send a message via AIM to Mooglar
Quote:
Lol, Myself; yourself was my bad example at the top, but thanks though. Especially for the School Days comment, if it is what you say it is then that's exactly the kind of anime I'm trying to avoid
Oops mustve missed it... yea after watching school days i wanted to see if there was anything close and myself yourself was the closest thing it was like a normal show until the end that it got all fucked up lol/

usually if i want to see a typical genre of anime ill search it on animenewsnetwork bad wesbite.. good search engine =) imo

Persona trinity soul was pretty good on the action side until one of the chars die and the whole aspect changes the opening becomes some emo flow song, the opening video everyones looking all depressed and the whole anime shifts weird... still good action