AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-06, 07:29   Link #61
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Look brightman, I dunno what kind of confidence makes you use words like "clear" "obviously" and such for what it appears to be just your own speculation, but I can tell you something, I've played FFXI for 4 years, and the idea to play a MMORPG with a completely different setting appeals me a lot more than the idea of playing something similar with the same races.

Now you can tell me that I'm the odd one (actually there's 2H-dragon and Svelcabayan too) and in truth the vast majority of FFXI would rather play something similar to what they have played for the last 4-5 years, but I don't think you can prove it. Until then I'll stick with my idea.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 07:34   Link #62
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Look brightman, I dunno what kind of confidence makes you use words like "clear" "obviously" and such for what it appears to be just your own speculation, but I can tell you something, I've played FFXI for 4 years, and the idea to play a MMORPG with a completely different setting appeals me a lot more than the idea of playing something similar with the same races.

Now you can tell me that I'm the odd one (actually there's 2H-dragon and Svelcabayan too) and in truth the vast majority of FFXI would rather play something similar to what they have played for the last 4-5 years, but I don't think you can prove it. Until then I'll stick with my idea.
I never said that there aren't people out there who wants to try something new. I said that the intent of the FFXIV team is to make certain things similar to FFXI so FFXI players who are adverse to change will still try it. This is a proven fact as it is stated in multiple interviews. They want FFXI players to play the game, and are providing a similar setting so they would. You might think otherwise, but this is what the creative team thinks.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 07:42   Link #63
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I have provided a quote that would make think otherwise. Please provide a quote that backs your statements.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 07:43   Link #64
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I have provided a quote that would make think otherwise. Please provide a quote that backs your statements.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
As we have seen in the trailer, all the races from Final Fantasy XI appear to be present and accounted for. Tanaka comments that this was done in order to add an air of familiarity to the game, so the Final Fantasy XI community would be comfortable transferring over and trying it out. However, while they look similar on the surface, they will be given somewhat of a makeover, which Tanaka says will include new names for the races. Many noticed the Galka-looking character in the trailer was missing a tail. Little changes like that will further define the races in Final Fantasy XIV. TaruTaru and Mithra fans can also rest easy knowing that similar models will be waiting for them in Eorzea.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 07:52   Link #65
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I see, so at least for what concerns the races you have a point. It is still debatable if this is actually a winning strategy, and how that "transferring over and trying out" should be interpreted, since in another point they say they wish players to continue to play both games.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 09:13   Link #66
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 288′0″N 8137′54″W
I actually prefer XIV to have some 50/50 similarity the least being too different might turn off my interest in the game, doesn't mean I will stop playing XI though. Well I know I won't!
__________________
This is my signature! Do you Rike it?
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 10:51   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
Makes me wonder if we've been playing the same game, as in im playing the game as i type this. *scratches head* Two keyboard configurations; the default one and "compact mode", compact mode has the accepted keyboard configuration as you put it. As for the overall UI, it's fucking shitty and one of the main reasons newbies leave out of frustration.

For the EQ1 comparison, i disagree with you 200%. FFXI gfx is superior then to that old dog. Since im still playing WoW (raid responsibility) i find FFXI to be better. (then again thats like apples and oranges since WoW goes with the cartoony look)
The compact mode still had all sorts of issues (am comparing it to a very long list of MMOs both American commercial and asian f2p; WOW was late in my MMO career and I dropped it almost 2 years ago) -- but your comment about the UI... yeah. A person can learn to work with absolutely terrible UI if they're excited or motivated enough. But there's a lot of competition out there. Warhammer's interface is completely configurable, for example. The AgeofConan UI works well for PvP.

I think my disappointment with the graphics stems from the character creation sequence... you get this fairly decent quality animation while you're creating and then you drop in the game.... suddenly your character is stocky and the anatomy isn't quite right anymore. The landscape isn't too bad but there's a lot of open dead space. I'll concede comparing it to EQ1 was hyperbole... but I was expecting better than what I got. WoW was going for a look I'd characterize more closely with the "cute" f2p cartoony games.... FF is more in tune with something like Perfect World but not as gritty as WarHammer or AgeofConan or Camelot.

Many people love this MMO... thats fine and I'm simply explaining why it didn't hold my interest. I certainly plan on giving the new one a look-see in the hopes of a more flexible UI and improved graphics engine.

Currently playing Warhammer, Perfect World, and in the Neosteam beta ... planning on re-activating Age-of-Conan later in the summer to see if they really have fixed the PvP systems.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-06 at 11:02.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 11:05   Link #68
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
There's been a lot of debate around the FFXI graphic, one above all is the lack of antialiaising. However it is possible to change the resolution up to 2048x2048 by changing the parameters directly in the regedit file. That alone gives a completely different feeling. However the low texture resolution is still a problem. I often wondered if it really was so impossible to change it since basically every object is stored on a separate DAT file.
As for the poligon count... I dunno... but most PC couldn't bear well crowded areas, and so it wasn't unusual to see only a small portion of the actual number of other players. A higher polygon count would have caused an even lower amount of characters being displayed at the same time.
Unless you tell me that the program itself was bad and PCs could actually perform better than that.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 11:37   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Well... the philosophy of many games that originate in Asia is that they're shooting for the broadest market possible that doesn't require computer upgrades... so the 'minimum requirements' are kept lower to maximize low-cost of entry into the game.

Some MMOs use the 'anime toon' look to achieve this (DOMO, Ethersaga, RoseOnline, NeoSteam) ... one reason that Perfect World was fairly impressive graphically (though it has the same less concealed grind factor that many games have). The FF artwork and world is so beautiful though - it'd be really nice for them to push the envelope harder on this new version.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 12:51   Link #70
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... the philosophy of many games that originate in Asia is that they're shooting for the broadest market possible that doesn't require computer upgrades... so the 'minimum requirements' are kept lower to maximize low-cost of entry into the game.
Perhaps true for games from Korea or China, but is that true for Japanese PC games? FFXI had fairly high requirements when it first came out, and many of the console ports released during this generation have had high requirements as well (including SE's Last Remnant)
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 15:14   Link #71
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Perhaps true for games from Korea or China, but is that true for Japanese PC games? FFXI had fairly high requirements when it first came out, and many of the console ports released during this generation have had high requirements as well (including SE's Last Remnant)
It's generally the same for Japanese PC games, whether we're referring to MMORPGs, console games, or eroge.

With console ports, the situation is a bit different because:

a) publishers have already made or they expect to make their money on the console releases (even with FFXI, Square had expected to sell half a million units of the PS2 game within the first year. While it didn't turn out this way, the game was intended to be predominantly console-oriented). Consequently, they don't aim for as large a userbase as possible.

b) ports are often developed with overseas markets in mind, not the domestic audience

As for FFXIV, I expect Square Enix to proceed along the same lines as XI.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 09:35   Link #72
anon24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
They've confirmed that this will be cross-platform. In fact, rumor is that the reason why its not on the Xbox 360 (yet) is that thus far Microsoft has some sort of policy that forbids people on Xbox Live from playing in the same server as the PS3 people. SE is trying to convince MS to drop this policy.


Because its a completely different game from XI. Different battle system, different leveling system, different world, different races, etc.


Marketing. There are way too many FF spinoffs to count, so if they don't make this part of the main FF series, people aren't going to care. Plus XI and XIV are big-budget, quality releases, unlike the spinoffs. FF Online or whatever just don't cut it, as the creators have said.

That doesn't make sense cause you can play FFXI on Xbox 360 on the same servers as the PS2/3 & PC people.
anon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 10:14   Link #73
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in the wild
Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra Send a message via Skype™ to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I see, so at least for what concerns the races you have a point. It is still debatable if this is actually a winning strategy, and how that "transferring over and trying out" should be interpreted, since in another point they say they wish players to continue to play both games.
Thought that too until I read that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriasang.com
In an effort to draw in the community from FFXI, the FFXIV dev staff is looking into letting FFXI players reuse their avatars in the new game. Yes, this means that we can expect some common points between the two titles as far as character races go. All five FFXI races will have their equivalents in FFIV. They'll look the same, but have different names and settings.

As for the exact number of races for FFXIV, Kawamoto would not say.

Outside of the avatars, the staff is looking into allowing players to move their name over, as they're sure many FFXI players will want to keep their friends when moving on to FFXIV in the future. Kawamoto said that they'll try their best to allow you to carry over your linkshells, friend list, and so-forth.

Kawamoto made it pretty clear that they're not even considering the idea of allowing you to carry over your character progress level, though. However, they do want to do some things along this line in order to support a community. He suggested that they may implement something that allows you to easily switch between playing FFXI and FFXIV.

The ideal implementation of this, explained Tanaka, would be to allow players in FFXI to call over friends from FFXIV, and vice versa. The developers considered making use of special items for this, like a Mog House that could transport you from FFXI to FFXIV. This ended up being difficult, so they gave up.
(http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/200...xiv_interview/)

How that will work or will even be possible is a different matter, but they do target the FF11 players pretty strongly.

I'm a little astonished by their simaltanous 'international' release. I'm used to wait a year or two for a game XD Fair enough it's an MMORPG but being able to play from the beginning is pretty neat.
Ah I need to pick up FF11 again after my exams
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 10:50   Link #74
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon24 View Post
That doesn't make sense cause you can play FFXI on Xbox 360 on the same servers as the PS2/3 & PC people.
The rationale was that PS2 is not a direct competitor to the 360. Plus SE had to negotiate a bit to get FFXI onto Live in the first place, so I suppose they are doing the same here.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 13:19   Link #75
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
it was also PS2's fault that FFXI's graphics never got better =\


but now its gonna be for PS3 we don't gotta worry about that

to bad for people who don't have PS3 or a good PC. Hopefuly their Parents wont buy them a suitable System to play it ,hats a Kids joke, you know because it sucks getting partied with children who don't know how to play. so don't get all "Thats mean" because you know its true
__________________

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2009-06-07 at 13:38.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:36   Link #76
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Turin, Italy
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
it was also PS2's fault that FFXI's graphics never got better =\


but now its gonna be for PS3 we don't gotta worry about that

to bad for people who don't have PS3 or a good PC. Hopefuly their Parents wont buy them a suitable System to play it ,hats a Kids joke, you know because it sucks getting partied with children who don't know how to play. so don't get all "Thats mean" because you know its true
Will it really need a good PC though? If there's a good thing about PC games is that they're graphic is scalable so as long as the minimum requirements are fine I suppose that anyone with a decent PC will be able to play the game. Besides that, if they intend to sell the game in countries like South Korea or Japan they have to make the PC version accessible to their average PC specs.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:20   Link #77
Secca
nya`
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
When the PS3 came out, I'm one of those who sent some e-mails to square hoping if they can upgrade the graphic of FFXI to PS3 spec. I guess those efforts are finally answered. I'm really happy. Cannot wait when this come out. ^^^^^
__________________
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 05:18   Link #78
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
This looks awesome o_O. Too bad it looks like monthly price will keep me from playing this game just like it did on WoW and FF XI T_T. If only my country's currency worth more than it is now >.<.

Oh well, hope I'll wait for it to play the open beta at least :P
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 13:20   Link #79
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Final Fantasy XIV has awesome graphics!

Square-Enix is always above expectations..
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 14:20   Link #80
Knight Hawk
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
it was also PS2's fault that FFXI's graphics never got better =\ ...snip...
Indeed, PS2 limitations. However as a few commented; PC version was a lot better looking. For FF14 we don't need to worry about these "limitations" (PS3 limitation) nonsense.

Quote:
The developers delve into this a bit, mentioning Crystal Tools, a development platform that will also be used for Final Fantasy XIII and is designed to allow them to port more smoothly to multiple systems. In regards to the PC version, the game will utilize the most current version of Direct X that is out when beta testing begins. This goes for Operating System as well. Similarly, they do not specify Vista or Windows 7 as an operating system, saying again that it will depend on what is out at the time. For those of you looking to prep a new PC, Tanaka claims they are really looking to get on the cutting edge of technology with this installment. Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato
Square-Enix is always above expectations..
. . . hopefully customer service/GM's is a lot better in this game then FFXI.
__________________
--A dream called "Youth". We'll eventually wake up from this dream, but the memories will continue to endure. - Karasuma, School Rumble
--Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mmorpg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.