AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-01-25, 01:38   Link #1361
Firefly00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
For coil groups you have to be careful on the make up of the party before u join, for ex i will never join a t2 group with a blm or smn already in it just incase the chest piece drops and i lose the roll...
This raises, for me, an interesting question: why does any RPG still bother with rolling for loot (and all the nonsense that can ensue from it) as opposed to instancing it out? Under such a construction (see: Torchlight 2; Marvel Heroes), a given tango drops an iteration of its loot consignment for each player... everything you see dropped on your screen is yours and yours alone, though you can trade with other players.

Is there any real advantage to the need/greed/pass model?
__________________
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Arc Nova
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 02:00   Link #1362
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
This raises, for me, an interesting question: why does any RPG still bother with rolling for loot (and all the nonsense that can ensue from it) as opposed to instancing it out? Under such a construction (see: Torchlight 2; Marvel Heroes), a given tango drops an iteration of its loot consignment for each player... everything you see dropped on your screen is yours and yours alone, though you can trade with other players.

Is there any real advantage to the need/greed/pass model?
Because you have to reduce drop rates since it's a per party/raid bias for items, else it disrupts the progression rate of people gearing up things.

WoW has attempted to this with RF loot system, but it means again non-100% drop rates on bosses since it isn't shared loot which is a turn off to some people because the luck element becomes invisible.

And in a game where players can be change classes, the personally becomes even worse since it needs to give each player chance of each item.

Additionally crafted gear and vendor currency gear offers the "personal loot" wanted.

On a different note, Ultima Hard might be favorite fight in the game after farming it some, I find fun and yet intense still (today had some one d/c for a good bit of the fight and the 7 of us barely killed at 2 seconds til Ultima went off).
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 09:55   Link #1363
Firefly00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Because you have to reduce drop rates since it's a per party/raid bias for items, else it disrupts the progression rate of people gearing up things.

WoW has attempted to this with RF loot system, but it means again non-100% drop rates on bosses since it isn't shared loot...
I think I see what you're wondering about. Actually, the contents of each player's 'consignment' from a given kill/chest/whatever are figured out independently, on the spot, subject to any relevant modifiers in effect on that player (i.e. +magic find; +% currency) and contains a copy of any guaranteed drops (a TL2 example would be the helmet from General Grell, Act 1's mid-boss).

Quote:
And in a game where players can be change classes, the personally becomes even worse since it needs to give each player chance of each item.
Shouldn't be an issue, really - as noted, you can still trade/sell items you have no use for at present.

Quote:
Additionally crafted gear and vendor currency gear offers the "personal loot" wanted.
This much is true. STO, for example, offers a variety of interesting gear through its multiple reputation systems.
__________________
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Arc Nova
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 19:31   Link #1364
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Well I managed Garuda with some FC members today, was fun and pretty challenging, while Titan EX just ugh, I died everytime at the add bomb phase of the 5 attempts .
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 09:55   Link #1365
Scarletknive
Meister
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Well I managed Garuda with some FC members today, was fun and pretty challenging, while Titan EX just ugh, I died everytime at the add bomb phase of the 5 attempts .
I know right? (Out of 5 attempts getting through the heart phase, I died by the landslide.)
__________________
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 11:38   Link #1366
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Blargh. My security token unregistered itself on my smartphone and when I tried to remove it from my account, the emergency removal password I set isn't working -_-;

And Square Enix support only works Monday through Fridays D:
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 14:50   Link #1367
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
I made a screenshot of that long weird password just to make sure I don't screw it up.

I've almost beaten T5 with people on PF (my FC is still learning it), and I don't see a point in beating Ifrit EX since I'd rather get the T5 weapon if I'm capable of that. Though beating Ifrit would be nice one of these days...just for completionists' sake.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 00:56   Link #1368
holybell84
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I made a screenshot of that long weird password just to make sure I don't screw it up.

I've almost beaten T5 with people on PF (my FC is still learning it), and I don't see a point in beating Ifrit EX since I'd rather get the T5 weapon if I'm capable of that. Though beating Ifrit would be nice one of these days...just for completionists' sake.
Except that the weapon at the end of T5 is random; I know people who been getting the same weapons 3 times in a row.

Primal weapons are only good if u do not want to spend 900 myths to zenith ur relic and the primal weapons are not exactly the BiS for pre-i95s; for example the primal weapon for summoners gave acc which I do not need as I am already sitting on 459 acc

Ifrit EX with an all-range party, is a whole lot easier lol
__________________
Standing Strong
holybell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 11:33   Link #1369
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I made a screenshot of that long weird password just to make sure I don't screw it up.

I've almost beaten T5 with people on PF (my FC is still learning it), and I don't see a point in beating Ifrit EX since I'd rather get the T5 weapon if I'm capable of that. Though beating Ifrit would be nice one of these days...just for completionists' sake.
It unregistered itself on Saturday and I was able to reset it using the password I had. It unregistered itself AGAIN on Sunday morning and the password I used on Saturday which I did NOT change didn't work :/
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 18:54   Link #1370
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
The emergency password changes after 1 use, you're gonna need to contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybell84 View Post
Except that the weapon at the end of T5 is random; I know people who been getting the same weapons 3 times in a row.

Primal weapons are only good if u do not want to spend 900 myths to zenith ur relic and the primal weapons are not exactly the BiS for pre-i95s; for example the primal weapon for summoners gave acc which I do not need as I am already sitting on 459 acc

Ifrit EX with an all-range party, is a whole lot easier lol
For BRD it's a decent alternative, assuming you don't have zenith already (which I do).
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 23:36   Link #1371
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The emergency password changes after 1 use, you're gonna need to contact them.



For BRD it's a decent alternative, assuming you don't have zenith already (which I do).
I was pretty sure it asked me to create a new one, and I just entered in the exact same one :X
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 01:28   Link #1372
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CO, USA
The primal Black Mage weapon is better than the Zenith relic as well. Overall I found the Ifrit EX fight much easier than Titan EX (no latency issue for one), as longs as the healers know what they are doing and switch their positions accordingly.
__________________
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 02:17   Link #1373
holybell84
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
The emergency password changes after 1 use, you're gonna need to contact them.



For BRD it's a decent alternative, assuming you don't have zenith already (which I do).
Except that with the Elfin Bow, you need other armor to top up ur accuracy in T5 lol.
__________________
Standing Strong
holybell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 04:45   Link #1374
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
The primal Black Mage weapon is better than the Zenith relic as well. Overall I found the Ifrit EX fight much easier than Titan EX (no latency issue for one), as longs as the healers know what they are doing and switch their positions accordingly.
It's just barely better. The crit's nice compared to the spell speed, sure, but if you're anywhere close to downing Twintania, don't get that elder staff. Get the ancient buckler. The Allagan scepter is one-handed!

In a general update, my company is getting to phase 3 on Twintania with regularity. I'm spending this week catching my SMN gear up as best I can so Derpruru-egi can take some Fireballs and ease things up off the healers. The tank damage on Twintania is best described as "scary," so anything we can do to ease things on the healers is good.

Garuda EX... sigh. Finally, after, 3 vortex rings of fending, 2 vortex rings of aiming, 1 vortex ring of healing and 14 vortex rings of striking (seriously, I'm not even joking)... finally... FINALLY... a vortex ring of casting drops. Fortunately for me it was during a company run, so it went directly into my armory chest.

Titan EX is more problematic. We've not had much time to spend with the rocky chap, really only about an hour and a half so far, but we're not consistently making it to the heart. Too many of our members have poor internet connections and stacking for Weight of the Land is just killing them. I know it's not just them being "bad" because their corpses are always laying well outside the area of effect!

Oh, and I was permabanned from the official forums for attempting to bring sense into a nonsense thread created by a FFXI fanboy. Apparently that's a bannable offense; who knew?
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 11:19   Link #1375
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
For BRD it's a decent alternative, assuming you don't have zenith already (which I do).
For non-coil content, the Elfin Bow is far superior than the Zenith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
The primal Black Mage weapon is better than the Zenith relic as well. Overall I found the Ifrit EX fight much easier than Titan EX (no latency issue for one), as longs as the healers know what they are doing and switch their positions accordingly.
Eh, not quite. Far too many people discount spell speed without realizing just how good it actually is. There are rotations I can pull off with the Zenith in Titan EX that I won’t have time to with an Elder Staff, with which my impression so far has been…. “sluggish”.

TBH, none of the EX fights are hard at all, the hardest part is just getting 7 other people who knows what they’re doing (no Mr. whm, do not run to the party to cure 3 with searing wind on -_-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Titan EX is more problematic. We've not had much time to spend with the rocky chap, really only about an hour and a half so far, but we're not consistently making it to the heart. Too many of our members have poor internet connections and stacking for Weight of the Land is just killing them. I know it's not just them being "bad" because their corpses are always laying well outside the area of effect!
Could always try VPNs I guess.

Quote:
Oh, and I was permabanned from the official forums for attempting to bring sense into a nonsense thread created by a FFXI fanboy. Apparently that's a bannable offense; who knew?
Join the club

The official forum is a joke, it’s one thing to moderate troll posts (which doesn’t happen half the time), but the mods there are just flat out terrible. You can pretty much just report anyone who disagrees with you and claim they hurt your feelings, and get them banned.

No big loss there tbh, while there are some good info in the job-specific subforums, general discussion is so filled with idiots and trolls that most of the time it’s not even worth the time to browse. If only I had a penny every time someone posted terrible ideas about the economy in GD…
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 13:42   Link #1376
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Spell speed is really good for BLM on any fight with lots of movement: i.e. Titan EX and Ultima HM. Those are really the only two, though, so for the most part, elder staff will be a teensy bit better. But not much better.

I'm probably going to start running Titan as SMN instead since SMN's DPS doesn't drop a whole lot when moving as long as you keep your dots up and put Garuda-egi in a good spot. Even though I have more experience with EX than the rest of my FC through party finder learning groups, and my internet connection is better than theirs, my DPS is still terrible compared to the bard, dragoon and especially monk.

Titan EX is one of the few fights where melee gets near-100% uptime and ranged... well, doesn't.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 07:48   Link #1377
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
I don't know if it's skill or luck or gear, but somehow I've completed Sunken "PUG-Killer" Temple with zero communications...

...But man did it make me work for it =_= Almost reminds my first time in of the other Sunken Temple... >_>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 11:12   Link #1378
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Last night I finally got my drg's 2nd drop off Ultima after probably 30 or so runs, so now I am down to 3 pieces of darklight being used (1 ring, earring, and bracers... all drops from primals EX , though there are alternatives at least), and got my 1st piece of coil loot (drg gloves).

And I've started leveling White Mage, so far healing dungeons hasn't been too bad, though I have be queueing with a FC member leveling Warrior with me XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't know if it's skill or luck or gear, but somehow I've completed Sunken "PUG-Killer" Temple with zero communications...

...But man did it make me work for it =_= Almost reminds my first time in of the other Sunken Temple... >_>
Ah, that dungeon the wipes I've seen in PuGs , especially the 1st and last boss.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 11:33   Link #1379
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Ah, that dungeon the wipes I've seen in PuGs , especially the 1st and last boss.
I don't know if it's because I'm just that super duper awesome as a tank, but so far I haven't wiped once- But I swear it almost happened in this dungeon The last part of the final boss was pretty fun dodging lasers.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 13:27   Link #1380
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't know if it's skill or luck or gear, but somehow I've completed Sunken "PUG-Killer" Temple with zero communications...

...But man did it make me work for it =_= Almost reminds my first time in of the other Sunken Temple... >_>
You are late to the game. People already know what to do with their 2nd classes.

Then again, Sunken Temple is a pretty common wipe ground because tanks keep their mentality of tank and spank. GJ on 1x perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Ah, that dungeon the wipes I've seen in PuGs , especially the 1st and last boss.
Wipes are still pretty common at Primals, esp EX. Speaking of which, I still haven't manage a proper PUG for even Coil 1.

Must have been running too much CT.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-01-29 at 13:44.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mmorpg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.