AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 20 35.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-06, 06:40   Link #61
drobertbaker
Major Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Why does Itazu call Akira "Vintage"?

What's with the tiny pants?

It's "take us back to the post-WW2 era" not "take us back to the pre-WW2 era". 戦後 = sengo = post-war. This was not a time of nationalism and militarism, but a time of reconstruction and restructuring.

From the images of the evacuation, it looks like IX used the NEETS as fake soldiers and policemen for the evacuation.

The data is being transferred to Mikuru Katsuhara (Micchon).

Did no one notice that IX and X are twins??? Isn't this kind of significant? X used to be a NEET, but now is working with the bureaucrats. IX appears to be some kind of earlier incarnation of X. Oh, that's right! He had his memory erased, which would revert him back to the person he used to be, wouldn't it?

And Johnny is the bridge.

Why, with all the mysteries and significant events in this series, is half the text in this forum devoted to some minor character, his motivations, and how much we dislike him?

Will you still hate Oosugi when he gets the girl? When he's there to console Saki over the self-sacrificing death of IX? IX is doomed and was from the very beginning of the very 1st episode:

"He didn't have a choice in becoming a prince. At least, its because he WAS aware that, for the future we look forward to, someone must take on the role of a prince, as a SACRIFICE. Even though he WAS neither innocent nor virtuous, he became the prince that this world lacked."

Saki was listening outside the door and heard the Itazu-IX conversation so that she knows they are lying to her and keeping secrets. She is being further distanced from IX. Any chance of romance died when he stood her up at the movies. He will be just an interesting story that she will tell to her (and Oosugi's) grandchildren.
__________________
no puran no aidia

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-06 at 07:20.
drobertbaker is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 06:43   Link #62
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
people seem to misunderstand something, Pantsu didn't retrieved the erased data from From Akira's phone as many thought Akira wanted to do. He fixed number 4 phone which still have all the history.
I'm sorry but no.
Preview episode 9:
Quote:
"Itazu runs an analysis on Takizawa's cellphone. Finally, Takizawa's past comes to light. According to the activity logs, Selecao No. 10's request for a catastrophic attack on the country has been accepted. In the meanwhile, Selecao No. 10 and Selecao No. 01 make their appearance in front of Itazu's house*.
SOURCE wrote by Silverya. If you are dubious about it we can ask his (her?) japanese source where he translated it from.

Anyway, I would have expected that deleting stuff from the account history will do it on the whole network and not just on a single phone. The purchase history deletion was charged by Juiz, so I have no reason to believe why would anyone order deleting 2 months worth of entry, and specify it that you only want it deleted on one phone, while leaving it intact on the others.
__________________

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-06-06 at 06:48. Reason: incorrect name. sorry
izmosmolnar is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 06:47   Link #63
anomono
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
he didn't ask her to meet him, he asked her to give him a call whenever Akira was not around. she just doesn't want to deal with it right now.
Reading it again, he did only ask her to contact him. He is still using it as an excuse to talk to and persuade her though, rather than just including the vital information.
anomono is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 06:56   Link #64
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I'm sorry but no.
Preview episode 9:

SOURCE wrote by Silverya. If you are dubious about it we can ask his (her?) japanese source where he translated it from.

Anyway, I would have expected that deleting stuff from the account history will do it on the whole network and not just on a single phone. The purchase history deletion was charged by Juiz, so I have no reason to believe why would anyone order deleting 2 months worth of entry, and specify it that you only want it deleted on one phone, while leaving it intact on the others.
well, the phone patsu opened and akira left behind was #4 phone. You can clearly see it when #1 picked it up after he ran pantsu over. It would not be wise to mess with your own phone and run the chance to break it up. akira had TWO phones , so "Takizawa's cellphone" my be refering to his spare. Remember when Kondo died, he told Akira that he could find about his past from his phone. It is obvious that Akira still has his own phone from watching the episode.
golthin is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:20   Link #65
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Is it me or does the Kyoto Selecao #10, Yuuki, resemble Akira a lot?

From Yuuki's rather timid nature and reaction at Fat Boy getting runned down by his car, it's likely he got goaded by Mononobe, the sinister looking 4-eyed Selecao, into launching those missiles on Careless Monday, leading to Akira to stop them.

(I notice people here calling Mononobe #1, but I didn't notice that. Care to provide some screenshots?)

In other words, by manipulating Yuuki, Mononobe in effect has two Selecao phones, i.e. 20 billion yen at his disposal. I'm guessing he's planning on finishing off Yuuki after he launches the missiles to destroy Japan again, and then use his own 10 billion credit to rebuild Japan, thus "saving" it.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:37   Link #66
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
(I notice people here calling Mononobe #1, but I didn't notice that. Care to provide some screenshots?)

In other words, by manipulating Yuuki, Mononobe in effect has two Selecao phones, i.e. 20 billion yen at his disposal. I'm guessing he's planning on finishing off Yuuki after he launches the missiles to destroy Japan again, and then use his own 10 billion credit to rebuild Japan, thus "saving" it.

04:11
#1: "Well, let's call all the taxi companies"
#10: That's just like you Mononobe.

As for #1 backstabbing him, or how much he really cares about him... Check out the OP, where #10's badge disappears, just like #4's and #5's. *hint* *hint*
__________________
izmosmolnar is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:41   Link #67
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
He's name is Dead Meat as far as I'm concerned, for what he did to Pants.

Will not rest till we see his blood.
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:42   Link #68
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post

04:11
#1: "Well, let's call all the taxi companies"
#10: That's just like you Mononobe.

As for #1 backstabbing him, or how much he really cares about him... Check out the OP, where #10's badge disappears, just like #4's and #5's. *hint* *hint*
Excuse me? From that screenshot, I still don't see where Mononobe is referred to as #1.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:43   Link #69
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Your point? Everyone free to have their own opinion. I see him as jealousy driven guy, who would not be afraid to tell lies for others as long as it would suit him in his purpose (to drive Akira away from Saki). It just matches that the truth is leading the same way, but he is far from a concerned little bunny you try to picture him, I believe.

I find his main drive is the jealousy rather than concern and the search for the truth, and I do not find him a nice guy at all. It is up to each person how one presents Ossugi's motives to be.

We see the acts but we do not see what is the main purpose of these acts (just implications that can have various interpretations) - I believe this drive to be jealousy, you believe that it is a concern like a fluffy, little prince, who is too nice guy for his own good - but again it is up to everyone to believe the way they want.
Well my point would be that someone should be considered innocent unless proven otherwise. You say that Ohsugi would go as far as to lie to discredit Akira, but where's the proof? He has never lied so far not even once, and if you consider "keeping something secret" a lie then Saki and Akira are as guilty as him.

By saying so you practically confirm that you hate Ohsugi for something you imagine he would do rather than something he actually does.

Anyway I have reasons to think Ohsugi wouldn't act that way because that's what it was shown until he got the info on Akira. He said he would give up on Saki. He said he would just leave the club (If he planned to still win Saki over Akira, why leaving the club? It doesn't make sense).

Now on the serious parts

Quote:
#10 doesn't seem to suspect #1 being the Supporter strangely.
Yes it appear that neither #10 nor #1 are the supporters. Either way why would they even talk about #9 being the supporter? However they do say that he gave that impression, but why? This is not clear yet...
It looks like #1 had his personal reason to acts against #9, since it appears Akira was an obstacle to his plans.

Quote:
Desk Ninja-kun from the club says Akira is only famous by 5 name, and not more.
No he says he is known by 5 additional names, so a total of six.

Quote:
Is that a coincidence or is that really #10 there at the scene? (sorry for shitty quality)
That's definitely Akira ^^;

Quote:
I don't understand Panties though. Why don't he put his phone on the charger and call him? Surely it could be more efficient to wait 1-2 minutes until the phone is capable to endure a call, than running after them. Additionally why don't he calls Akira through the internet? Or sending a text message through the web shouldn't be unheard for a hacker of his caliber.
The director needed an excuse to make Pantsu get out of his 4,5 tatami room and get ran over by number X's car. At this point I'm not really going to be surprised anymore by such scenario driven events.

about the car, it looks like in Japan driving an import car with the driver seat on the left is a sort of status symbol. The strange thing is that number X could have stopped number I by just pressing the brake. You can press the gas pedal as much as you want, if the brake is down the car won't move.
BTW so much for my theory about number I not doing the killings himself. Anyway I see no reason to believe he killed Hiura...

some additional points:

In this episode we see a twist on the theory that Akira was behind the careless monday. However this is yet another thing hard to explain. Since the order actually came from number X, why they think number IX is involved? Of course they have seen that number IX did all those things to evacuate the area of the attacks, so maybe they think he is buddy buddy with number X. However why number IV thinks Akira is a dangerous guy who killed 20k NEETs seeing as how he out such an effort into preventing any victim from the missile attacks?
Okay Kondo was a pretty stupid guy, but Diana isn't. Itazu didn't really see anything different from any other selešao and he came to the obvious conclusion that Akira actually wanted to prevent victims from number X actions. So why Diana and Kondo think otherwise? Maybe Hiura got it right, though...

It is however interesting to see this new development. With this additional information it is possible that the 20k NEET abduction was actually done to save them from an impending danger. Maybe one of the other 6 selešao is planning to kill them all? However the NEETs are going back to Japan, so if this is the case it's a just a temporary solution.

About the order written in red, I'll need some clarifications. It says post-war isn't it? It makes a lot of difference between pre-war and post-war. Pre-war would mean that they strive to take Japan back at its imperialistic agenda. Post-war would mean they want to take Japan back to its economic boom era.
The latter better fit with the bombing but it's quite unrealistic... I mean Japan experienced an incredible economic growth because it started from a bad situation in the first place. By bringing Japan back to that era... would mean to destroy its economy so that people would try hard to restore it... what's the point? ░░

Last thing: Anyone noticed at the start of the episode in Itazu's room you can see a poster with "Outsider" written on it. It must be said that actually it's called "Mr Outside" in the anime, but it's still a funny coincidence ^^;

Quote:
Excuse me? From that screenshot, I still don't see where Mononobe is referred to as #1.
Well... 3:24 Number I makes a call and says "Mononobe desu"...
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:46   Link #70
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Excuse me? From that screenshot, I still don't see where Mononobe is referred to as #1.
Well what else he can mean? They are speaking with each other and he suddenly blurts out Mononobe at the end of his sentence, like addressing someone. Anyway the scene you were asking for is at 04:11.
As for preferences I still prefer to call him #1.
__________________
izmosmolnar is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:47   Link #71
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
About the order written in red, I'll need some clarifications. It says post-war isn't it? It makes a lot of difference between pre-war and post-war. Pre-war would mean that they strive to take Japan back at its imperialistic agenda. Post-war would mean they want to take Japan back to its economic boom era.
The latter better fit with the bombing but it's quite unrealistic... I mean Japan experienced an incredible economic growth because it started from a bad situation in the first place. By bringing Japan back to that era... would mean to destroy its economy so that people would try hard to restore it... what's the point? ░░
That is the whole point. As Japan lay in ruins, its people actually found the drive and resolve to rebuild the country into the economic powerhouse. Now that the economy is once again becoming decadent, #1 and #10 decide the best way to "save" the country is to start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Well what else he can mean? They are speaking with each other and he suddenly blurts out Mononobe at the end of his sentence, like addressing someone. Anyway the scene you were asking for is at 04:11.
As for preferences I still prefer to call him #1.
I'm sorry, I'm still struggling to understand what you mean.

Mononobe was that guy's name, so what was wrong with addressing him as such? And how does that end up being concluded that he's #1? I don't hear or see that number being mentioned.

Edit: Nevermind. It seems we have both misunderstood each other. You thought I was asking when he was called Mononobe, when I was asking why he's called #1. And then I neglected your last sentence that it was only your preference of calling him #1.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:50   Link #72
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I don't understand Panties though. Why don't he put his phone on the charger and call him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The director needed an excuse to make Pantsu get out of his 4,5 tatami room and get ran over by number X's car. At this point I'm not really going to be surprised anymore by such scenario driven events.
No, that's not why. It was clearly stated by Pants that contract for the phone was long expired. Dunno if fansub translations (if there are any) didn't catch that or whatnot, but he definitely says it.

Service contracts for cellphones expiring is pretty common to hikikomori.
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 09:58   Link #73
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Lol the subs only say "the power ran out again". BTW is it really that in Japan there isn't a web based SMS service? That's odd ░░;

EDIT: Lol I just noticed something looking at that scene. Mushrooms! Mushrooms are growing in Itazu's room!!!
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 10:08   Link #74
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Lol the subs only say "the power ran out again". BTW is it really that in Japan there isn't a web based SMS service? That's odd ░░;

EDIT: Lol I just noticed something looking at that scene. Mushrooms! Mushrooms are growing in Itazu's room!!!
I was thinking the same thing.

Though Fat Boy said Akira only gave him his number but not the email address, so it seems 3G phones there still aren't capable of receiving SMS from the internet just with the phone number alone.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 10:12   Link #75
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
He said
電源どころか、契約とうに切れとるじゃないかい!

Not only is the power out, the contract's up long ago!

I understand his Hiroshima-accent is a little hard to understand, but still, it's pretty clear what he said.
They need to get a better translator if they're gonna ignore the entire latter half of the sentence.
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 10:15   Link #76
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I know mobile phones in Japan are actually a lot different than in the rest of the world, so I don't know how exactly they work. "SMS" as a term isn't even used, they call it "mail" is in internet e-mail. But I thought it was still an SMS who can be sent to a specific phone number.

Quote:
電源どころか、契約とうに切れとるじゃないかい!

Not only is the power out, the contract's up long ago!
Well this at least clarify things. But yet it's funny, if he knew the contract expired why he looked for the phone in the first place? XD He certainly didn't notice that looking at the phone since it wasn't working at all ░░;
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 10:22   Link #77
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 30
edit : oh alright then.

Quote:
No he says he is known by 5 additional names, so a total of six
Pardon, my mistake. Indeed 5 extra name besides Takizawa. It seems like it was about 6 passport in episode 1 too.
Quote:
That's definitely Akira ^^
Well it is a quite confusing they are so similar, as I definitely associated on #10 instead, and not on Akira. They could have animated them a bit differently to be honest.
Quote:
No, that's not why. It was clearly stated by Pants that contract for the phone was long expired. Dunno if fansub translations (if there are any) didn't catch that or whatnot, but he definitely says it.
Thank you very much for clearing this up, the subs I've seen it indeed said that the power ran out.
Quote:
about the car, it looks like in Japan driving an import car with the driver seat on the left is a sort of status symbol. The strange thing is that number X could have stopped number I by just pressing the brake. You can press the gas pedal as much as you want, if the brake is down the car won't move.
My point is that he shouldn't have been able to change gears with his feet on the accelarator (at least my own Skoda, and my mate's Audi requires the driver to push the break pedal down, otherwise the gear handle won't even move anywhere).
I mean I could explain the hand-break (habit or something), and that the car was always left sided and #10 just went across to the right side, while he speaks (I used to wander around when I'm on the phone too), but #1 shouldn't have started the car like that AFAIK.

As for personal theories regarding #1, I think #1 is someone who currently commits the supporter duties, however in reality #12 is the real supporter.
#1 only received the order to behave like one, however he mustn't tell it to anyone he is someone who had any connection with the Supporter. That's why #10 seems puzzled #9 is not the Supporter, while on the other hand #1 doesn't really seem to care about it.
__________________
izmosmolnar is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 10:52   Link #78
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Uh I'm not familiar with automatic transmissions so I have no clue ░░

Quote:
when I was asking why he's called #1
Oh I missed this, I dunno if I'm misunderstanding this again ^^; but you mean you are not sure that the guy we see in this episode who refers to himself as Mononobe is number I?

If that's the case you need to go back to episode 5 where the same character is shown using a selešao phone with a number I badge on it.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-06-06 at 11:14.
Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 11:45   Link #79
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
[*]#10: "but IX is different to cooperate with". If we can believe him, he implies he tried to cooperate with Akira. IDK is that before or after the Careless Monday, where Akira obstructed #10's plan and evacuated the people. Or it's also possible they cooperated up to that point and Akira deceived him in the end, and evacuated them.
I was thinking of that too. Sure Akira could've had easily checked out the other Selecao's history information and maybe solved up the pieces to the puzzle that the missles were going to create a disaster....or maybe he simply used to work with him and I like you said. You gain more knowledge if you work within something instead of observing it from outside.

But I is one manipulative sly bastard
Clearly X has no backbone. That or both X and I made some compromise on only which would be a lie and will end up badly ( with X, well Yuuki, dying anyways ) I don't want to think of him as stupid but easily influenced and naive. He reminds me of a lost puppy dog following his master.
Starry Dust is offline  
Old 2009-06-06, 14:22   Link #80
kamikazex
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
man this series is sooo awesome....pantsu man cool too pity he had to die. wish this series was longer
also the OP is growing onto me slowly....sounds cooler and cooler everytime i hear it
kamikazex is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.