AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-08, 00:07   Link #61
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
would that little Christmas party scene in the first ending be shown?
I think the novel basically just skimmed over the actual party...
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 01:58   Link #62
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I think the novel basically just skimmed over the actual party...
The party occurs as a flashback near the start of "Snow Mountain Syndrome", in fair, if comparatively short, detail (it's where they hash out the visit to the titular mountain, going into such topics as Itsuki's announcement of another mystery game and Tsuruya-san's further establishment as having more money than God Bruce Wayne).

And goddamn, but SMS is fracking huge, isn't it? They are going to need two episodes for it... Crap...
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 02:04   Link #63
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hot, Very Hot Singapore
SMS was good, yup! Way better than Remote Mountain Syndrome. It would be good if they devoted two episodes to it.
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 03:55   Link #64
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And goddamn, but SMS is fracking huge, isn't it? They are going to need two episodes for it... Crap...
They'll probably cut some of the (frankly) useless monologues from Sighs, or stuff we've 'already' seen in Episode 00 that they don't need to show 'again'.

Sighs CAN be done in three episodes. Don't underestimate KyoAni and their incredible content compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
SMS was good, yup! Way better than Remote Mountain Syndrome. It would be good if they devoted two episodes to it.
Amusingly, RMS could easily have been done in one episode. I still don't know why they think they needed two for it.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 04:16   Link #65
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hot, Very Hot Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Amusingly, RMS could easily have been done in one episode. I still don't know why they think they needed two for it.
I agree with that. They could have easily done away with the fanservice, like the beach scenes and stuff, and cut straight to the murder investigation.

Last edited by aegisofrime; 2009-06-08 at 04:30.
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 04:52   Link #66
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Mood Whiplash.

We get a light episode full of fancervise and then a murder just occurs. The episode wouldn't be as entertaining if it cut straight to the mistery.

SMS could be somewhat like that, exept...
Spoiler for novels:
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 10:03   Link #67
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
SMS was good, yup! Way better than Remote Mountain Syndrome. It would be good if they devoted two episodes to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Amusingly, RMS could easily have been done in one episode. I still don't know why they think they needed two for it.
Forum posting in the middle of the night is fu~n...

Make sure you're getting at least some sleep, guys... ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
I agree with that. They could have easily done away with the fanservice, like the beach scenes and stuff, and cut straight to the murder investigation.
Bite your tounge, heathen. We like our Mikuru-chan fanservice around here... ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sighs CAN be done in three episodes. Don't underestimate KyoAni and their incredible content compression.
That's the problem. Four episodes is already trimming it down. It's not like the novel of Volume 2 itself is really all that much shorter than the one for Volume 1, which took six episodes to animate. I don't have both books to compare, obviously, but the Baka-Tsuki pages are 119 and 128 "page-downs" in length, respectively (a highly approximate and unscientific method that nonetheless gives a good comparative ratio assuming both are loaded into the same width window, which they were). And Volume 1 has all that space-killing formatting at the end to accomodate the >YUKI.N dialogues...

Aggh... This is going to bug me until they actually animate both novels and we get an idea where we'll be ending up... Now watch them throw an anime-original episode or two in there to really frak with us...
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 10:18   Link #68
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Now watch them throw an anime-original episode or two in there to really frak with us...
This is both likely and something I want greatly.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 10:39   Link #69
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Mood Whiplash.

We get a light episode full of fancervise and then a murder just occurs. The episode wouldn't be as entertaining if it cut straight to the mistery.

SMS could be somewhat like that, exept...
Spoiler for novels:
That has given me an idea. If they're going to go for the mood whiplash, why don't they rearrange things to make it accentuate that a bit better, by having "Where Did the Cat Go?" before the meat and potatoes of "Snow Mountain Syndrome?" It's not like the order really means anything, since while they both take place in the same place, they are fairly unrelated, and there is no explicit causal relationship between them.

Spoiler for for novel stuff:
I know this doesn't fix the "still gonna have to trim Sigh or Disappearance" issue, but it does better allow an Intrigues prologue end, which allows for an uninterrupted "Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru"/Intrigues start to the next season (which we want, yes?), and in a way helps allow for some compression of Disappearance. Thoughts?
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:46   Link #70
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Bite your tounge, heathen. We like our Mikuru-chan fanservice around here... ^_^
Said fanservice is the main reason I don't like Mikuru... Though I agree that it's good they didn't cut the "useless" parts, as I liked some of the particularly absurd places Nagato was reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
If they're going to go for the mood whiplash, why don't they rearrange things to make it accentuate that a bit better, by having "Where Did the Cat Go?" before the meat and potatoes of "Snow Mountain Syndrome?" It's not like the order really means anything, since while they both take place in the same place, they are fairly unrelated, and there is no explicit causal relationship between them.
The mystery was stated to be the end of the trip, and the way Haruhi acted towards Nagato was a direct result of SMS.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:32   Link #71
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That's the problem. Four episodes is already trimming it down. It's not like the novel of Volume 2 itself is really all that much shorter than the one for Volume 1, which took six episodes to animate. I don't have both books to compare, obviously, but the Baka-Tsuki pages are 119 and 128 "page-downs" in length, respectively (a highly approximate and unscientific method that nonetheless gives a good comparative ratio assuming both are loaded into the same width window, which they were). And Volume 1 has all that space-killing formatting at the end to accomodate the >YUKI.N dialogues...
B-T is down right so I can't check, but that book always FELT shorter to me for some reason.

Like, as though a lot less happens than Vol. 1.

When the site goes back up I'll flip through the book again and give you some idea of how they might do it.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:00   Link #72
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
The mystery was stated to be the end of the trip, and the way Haruhi acted towards Nagato was a direct result of SMS.
I remembered the former, but that in itself doesn't affect the story and can be ignored. If it betters the broadcast and doesn't hurt anything, then switch it around and let the nitpickers pick all they want.

The latter, however, is important. As Kaisos noted, B-T is down and also I have no access to my saved copies. Mind posting some details, or PMing me?
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:29   Link #73
Heatth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
A have the books on PDF here. The Melancholy has 150 pg and the Sighs 131.

Yes, the Sighs isn't so shorter than Melancholy. However, a think that it has a slow pace. They talk a lot on this book.

Spoiler for Novels:


Not too much actualy happens (and almost all on the last chapter), but there is a lot talking and explanation. However, that talking is very important to explain Haruhi's powers. Is kinda hard to figure out how much screentime the talking uses.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:36   Link #74
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
SMS is huge, isn't it? They are going to need two episodes for it... Crap...
Why not 1.5 episodes.

Combine the set up for Snow Mountain (arrival, unpacking, going out to play) with Love at First Sight which really doesn't need a whole episode.

Then have the true story of Snow Mountain be it's own episode.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:45   Link #75
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Combine the set up for Snow Mountain (arrival, unpacking, going out to play) with Love at First Sight which really doesn't need a whole episode.
Uh, yeah, yeah it does. It's slow, yet there's a fair bit of stuff going on.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 00:58   Link #76
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Why not 1.5 episodes.

Combine the set up for Snow Mountain (arrival, unpacking, going out to play) with Love at First Sight which really doesn't need a whole episode.

Then have the true story of Snow Mountain be it's own episode.
Uh, yeah, yeah it does. It's slow, yet there's a fair bit of stuff going on.
Yeah, he's right. It's actually the longest chapter in Volume 6. In the amount of space it takes up, it's actually quite a bit larger than "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", which barely fit into a single episode. "Charmed at First Sight LOVER" should be a lot easier to compress, though I imagine it may also be sans-OP due to time constraints.

A lot of that time will be saved by letting Sugita do his rapid fire Kyon thing. IIRC, it's a Kyon dialogue (and "monologue") heavy chapter.
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 01:55   Link #77
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
Oh yeah, I hadn't seen Kyonmonologue for a while and rewatched the first episode. Sugita sure speaks fast.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:17   Link #78
velocity7
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Thought I'd give a heads up:

Haruhi Season 2 is in HD
__________________
velocity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:35   Link #79
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Oh yeah, I hadn't seen Kyonmonologue for a while and rewatched the first episode. Sugita sure speaks fast.
Oh yeah. I just reread it and it will fit into a single episode, but it will need to have some massive use of the rapid fire Kyonspeak, and there most likely won't be time for an OP.

This has also made me realize that the hotpot party flashback in SMS will need to stay a flashback. That actual event happens before CAFSLOVER, but the rest of SMS happens a few days after. If they stay chronological, it'll have to be a flashback.

Forgot how much the end of this chapter points back to Disappearance. Also Noizi Ito's hoodie!Yuki is hot... ^_^

Spoiler for for SMS, WDTCG?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Thought I'd give a heads up:

Haruhi Season 2 is in HD
Weird article... Haruhi "S2" is made in HD but not broadcast in it? That 720p RAW of BLR certainly didn't look like an upscale of the 480p version...
__________________

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-06-09 at 07:31. Reason: to avoid doubleposting
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:44   Link #80
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Weird article... Haruhi "S2" is made in HD but not broadcast in it?
First season of Code Geass was animated in HD but was not broadcast in it.
__________________
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kadokawa, kyoto animation, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.