AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-09, 23:26   Link #1
cheese4u
da big boss

psychological, mystery anime

Seeing as how I've exhausted all of my Romance anime options, it may be time to expand my horizons a little. I decided that since I like psychological stuff, maybe I could dabble into psychological or mystery anime. So if someone could me give a few suggestions, that would be great.

(p. s. sorry I don't have a list, but like I said, this is kinda my first experience with a genre outside of action and romance animes, so I can't really make a list. However, I would like to note that I've watched Detective Conan, and I'm not really interested in Death Note, so you can exclude those from your response.)
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps

Last edited by cheese4u; 2009-06-10 at 01:54.
Old 2009-06-10, 00:09   Link #2
Arkuatic

Just one reccomendation?

I'd probably say Monster; its well scripted as well as unique. The story revolves around a genius surgeon who is pure at heart and chose his profession for the purest reason-to save lives. Despite all the corruption, greed, and evil around him he refuses to admit the worst in people-you can say he'll always give you the benefit of the doubt. Anyways the story tests Tenma, the genius surgeon's faith in his beliefs that saving lives is the correct thing to do. He one day refuses to operate on a rich opera singer(atleast i recall) because he was blinded to let family lose their father because the father wasn't "interest"ing to the hospital. And chose to save the life of a boy over the opera singer. However the twist is eventually the boy grows up leaving trails of bodies behind him(not literally) and inadvertently tests his belief in the good of humanity.

And also death note is probably the most interesting psychological anime for the first half of the series.

Edit: you should give reading manga a try since there are tons out there that can satisfy your romantic tastes that unfortunately wont appear on animes.

Last edited by Arkuatic; 2009-06-10 at 00:21. Reason: forgot to add
Old 2009-06-10, 00:41   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd recommend Ghost Hound. It's both literally and figuratively a psychological anime, and loaded with good mystery to boot. It mixes psychology, parapsychology and Shinto very effectively, and it's looks fantastic and sounds even better (it's Production I.G. after all). Really solid , and the characters are interesting and complex, with a likable teenage lead and a very innocent but charming romantic side plot.

Also, Paranoia Agent is another very fine mystery with a lot of psychological elements. I'd throw Zettai Shounen in there as it has a very interesting mystery that develops over the course of the series. It's not fast-paced, but the mystery unfolds very slowly in interesting ways, and again, very good characters.
Old 2009-06-10, 01:27   Link #4
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Only one suggestion is awfully rough, especially without a list of what you've liked in the past to compare to--especially if you'd rather it be mysterious or pyschological. Alot of things come to mind--Dennou Coil, Haibane Renmei, Perfect Blue, Serial Expertiments Lain--and things I've just read about that are on my "to watch list still"--Mushi-shi or Kino's Journey.

But given the constraints, I'd suggest Higruashi. Normally things that try to blend disaparaging elements don't do it well...Kyoran Kazoku Nikki for example tried to do drama and really crazy comedy...and it was hard to tell when to laugh and when it was series. Higurashi however, managed to jump between the two extremes with amazing ease. The first few episodes it seems almost like a bad harem, but as it goes, it draws you in and doesn't let go. Also unlike many anime, it has a strong ending that satstifyies and no matter how insane things might seem, the mystery is explained eventually. The high amount of violence isn't for everyone, but I've found a truly enjoyable trip and not to be missed.
Old 2009-06-10, 01:47   Link #5
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
Only one suggestion is awfully rough, especially without a list of what you've liked in the past to compare to--especially if you'd rather it be mysterious or pyschological. Alot of things come to mind--Dennou Coil, Haibane Renmei, Perfect Blue, Serial Expertiments Lain--and things I've just read about that are on my "to watch list still"--Mushi-shi or Kino's Journey.

But given the constraints, I'd suggest Higruashi. Normally things that try to blend disaparaging elements don't do it well...Kyoran Kazoku Nikki for example tried to do drama and really crazy comedy...and it was hard to tell when to laugh and when it was series. Higurashi however, managed to jump between the two extremes with amazing ease. The first few episodes it seems almost like a bad harem, but as it goes, it draws you in and doesn't let go. Also unlike many anime, it has a strong ending that satstifyies and no matter how insane things might seem, the mystery is explained eventually. The high amount of violence isn't for everyone, but I've found a truly enjoyable trip and not to be missed.
Uhh yeah...I already explained the lack of list thing at the top in parentheses, but there's really nothing I can do. If I've only seen one psychological (or rather mystery) anime, then I can't very well make a list out of it.

But more importantly, out of the three responses I've gotten, two have complained about the restriction of naming only one anime. I didn't really think it was that big of deal, it was more or less a sad attempt by me to filter out all the sub par suggestions and make the responders choose just one, hopefully the best one. But since its kinda become a problem now, I suppose I'll go back and change it to one that allows multiple suggestions.

Sorry for the mix up.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-06-10, 03:01   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'll second Ghost Hound for all the reasons Enzo stated.

Lain is another people praise for its psychological themes, though I personally detested it. Most annoying sound ever in any anime to date.

Higurashi is often recommended with this kind of thing, but I didn't really find it that 'psychological' more of a mystery/comedy/gorefest. But if you want mystery aside, it's definitely one of the best since you have to watch both seasons to work out what the hell is going on.

Also Monster as suggested by Arkuatic is probably the most widely praised mystery series. I only watched the first few episodes when it aired (wasn't the sort of thing I could tolerate week to week; too meaty to nibble on. Needs to be devoured.) but do have the entire series in my backlog to get through, eventually. I liked what I saw of it, though.

Also throwing out something not already suggested: xxxHolic. It's all about psychology and people's addictions and bad habits (thus the *holic title) also combined with comedy, mystery and too many other themes to list. CLAMP love to mix things up.
Closed Thread