AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-06-28, 16:28   Link #441
DgBarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
with "quadrillionth" the possible combinations are actually very very few, because it's a lot harder to separate all characters except two by removing 6 among 13 rather than 6 among 11.

q_a_r_ll_o_t_ --- udiinh
q_a_r_ll__n_h --- udiiot
q_a_r_ll_o__h --- udiint
qu_d_i__i_n_h --- arllot
q_ad_i__i_n_h --- urllot <- yes the key is "troll u"!!!
q_a_ri__i_n_h --- udllot
q_a_r_l__on_h --- udilit
q_a_r_l__o_th --- udilin
U IDIOT !...yes, it's a idiot theory or...
DgBarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 16:30   Link #442
Leafsnail

Yeah, there is still the question of how Battler and Erika ever worked out where the hell to go. Sure, the place with the inscription would be a good start, but that didn't seem like where they ended up... also, Battler hadn't seen that inscription at all that episode, had he?
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 20:36   Link #443
zRyuu

he saw it on EP2 and Lambda or Bern (i forgot) was controlling Piece-Battler anyway.
zRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 03:09   Link #444
Pika_power

The pieces still have to behave as they could normally. Bern can't make Nanjo build a nuclear reactor, because he has no idea how to do so. In the same way, Battler can't just roboticly head towards the church.

I think there's a link between the church and the first few lines. They must somehow direct to the church. To go further, we need his motivation for building the church.
Pika_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 05:21   Link #445
Leafsnail

I thought it was a place where he could marry Beatrice-2 when she eventually accepted him. Or something like that.

Although I can't see anything pointing to the church or the inscription...
Old 2010-06-30, 15:53   Link #446
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
I thought it was a place where he could marry Beatrice-2 when she eventually accepted him. Or something like that.

Although I can't see anything pointing to the church or the inscription...
I think the engraving on the chapel gives a strong hint to start there.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 16:17   Link #447
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yes, provided you know they exist in the first place. What Leafsnail is pointing out is that Battler doesn't. Anyone that is clueless about the existence of such inscription would be totally unable to solve the riddle if that's where you are supposed to go and there isn't anything in the epitaph itself that would make you think you need to go there.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2010-06-30 at 16:59.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 16:37   Link #448
Leafsnail

Yeah, exactly.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2010-07-01, 16:07   Link #449
ErenselTheJester

This is just a thought, but doesn't the answer to the Epitaph seem to be some kind of code rather than a location? I mean, if you look at the twilights, its more like they add up to something or form something instead of leading you to somewhere.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 16:15   Link #450
DgBarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Yeah, exactly.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
The servants knows what is inside the chapel because they come the clean it 4 times per year.
Old 2010-07-01, 17:52   Link #451
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
This is just a thought, but doesn't the answer to the Epitaph seem to be some kind of code rather than a location? I mean, if you look at the twilights, its more like they add up to something or form something instead of leading you to somewhere.
The epitaph is made up of different parts, one of those most probably tells about some sort of code, but the code by itself would be meaningless if you don't know where to use it. The gold is definitely somewhere in the island, if by solving the epitaph you can reach that place, then the epitaph will definitely tell you where it is.

Old 2010-07-01, 18:27   Link #452
Leafsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgBarca View Post
The servants knows what is inside the chapel because they come the clean it 4 times per year.
Fair enough, but they aren't meant to be solving the epitaph.

Spoiler for Ep3:
Old 2010-07-01, 18:28   Link #453
ErenselTheJester

Okay, I have started another theory, but only have the first part of it. The second part of my theory requires "the key" so I won't work on that until later.

Now, I have figured out where the Golden Land is. The Sweetfish River that they are referring is the Ayu River, or more presently named, Sagami River. So yes, the Epitaph might be a little bit more literal than we thought. The River's mouth is not too far off of Odawara, so I'm guessing the old family mansion was somewhere in the prefectures near there (So George was wrong when he said Hayakawa. Ah ha!). So, you pretty much follow the river downstream and Sagami Bay. You'll know you're there because there are two perfectures (Chigasaki and Hiratsuka) that surround the mouth of the river. In conclusion, the Golden Land is along Sagami Bay. I can't get anymore specific than this because there are islands in the bay. In fact, Izu- Oshima Island was the epicenter of the Great Kanto Earthquake, so the Golden Land might be there.

As for the second half of my theory, the key is... hard to find. Mostly because I don't know what to limit myself as to what the key is. You see, the Epitaph gives us something to base our assumptions on: The Witch, Beatrice. However, its a reverse problem, where we have the answer but the problem isn't given to us. I came to this assumption after reviewing the Ninth Twilight- "At the ninth twilight, the Witch shall be revived and none shall be left alive." I figured that the first through eight twilights add up to the Witch, which is seemingly Beatrice as the Epitaph implies, so we have to combine/remove an arrangement of letters/numbers that later add up to Beatrice. I'm supposing that you need to limit yourself to a certain word, but until then I can't figure anything out.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 18:35   Link #454
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wait. Did you consider these three facts?

1) It is confirmed that Kinzo's Hometown is not Odawara

2) You can solve the epitaph in Rokkenjima, and the gold is in Rokkenjima.

3) It is hinted many times that the river isn't actually a river.

Old 2010-07-02, 04:30   Link #455
DgBarca

You know...in the beginning, I thought that "the shore the two will tell you of", the two were actually Kanon and Shannon, but it seemed foolish...but is it really foolish ?

Also, I don't think that the epitaph leads to a point defined with the Cartesian coordinate system like "(5,20)" with latitude and longitude but with the polar coordinate system with (里,"the direction the two will tell you of")
Then 里 is equal to 500m or 415,8m.

But...the first one fits more with the atlas thing...

"Izu-shoto 3430'N 14000'E" (I laughed at 34)
Old 2010-07-02, 04:55   Link #456
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
"Izu-shoto 3430'N 14000'E" (I laughed at 34)
34.0715N 140.1129E ? Or alternatively, 3407'15"N 14011'29"E, but that actually doesn't make much difference.

139 instead of 140, though, does, a lot.

Just about right to get there in 20-30 minutes at 40 knots from Niijima. And four digits allow for a precision of about 30-40m.

EDIT: Just to clarify: If the assumption that this is where Rokkenjima is supposed to be is correct, and it certainly falls within reasonable distance from known Niijima, four digits per axis is just enough information to drop a cruise missile on Kuwadorian, and presumably to find it on foot.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)

Last edited by Oliver; 2010-07-02 at 05:06.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 12:18   Link #457
DgBarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
34.0715N 140.1129E ? Or alternatively, 3407'15"N 14011'29"E, but that actually doesn't make much difference.

139 instead of 140, though, does, a lot.

Just about right to get there in 20-30 minutes at 40 knots from Niijima. And four digits allow for a precision of about 30-40m.

EDIT: Just to clarify: If the assumption that this is where Rokkenjima is supposed to be is correct, and it certainly falls within reasonable distance from known Niijima, four digits per axis is just enough information to drop a cruise missile on Kuwadorian, and presumably to find it on foot.
But...there is no way for Erika to know 07151129...or at least it can be found in the epitaph.
Old 2010-07-02, 12:31   Link #458
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
But...there is no way for Erika to know 07151129...or at least it can be found in the epitaph.
No, there isn't. It may be a way for 07151129 and the epitaph to be connected, though. If it is, 07151129 fits the definition of "cruel puzzle" -- there's no land over there in our world, you are only able to suspect it may be a location on Rokkenjima if you have tried to place Rokkenjima relative to Niijima harbour, which is only available indirectly. (boat speed and expected travel time are given and that's it).

Alternatively, I can just be dead wrong.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 23:29   Link #459
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yes, provided you know they exist in the first place. What Leafsnail is pointing out is that Battler doesn't. Anyone that is clueless about the existence of such inscription would be totally unable to solve the riddle if that's where you are supposed to go and there isn't anything in the epitaph itself that would make you think you need to go there.
Erika does a bunch of random crap. ALSO, all of Kinzo's children know of the chapel.
Old 2010-07-04, 23:33   Link #460
Judoh
Mystery buff

It's specifically stated when the cousins read the epitaph in EP1 that Rosa had Maria copy the epitaph down for her. So the odds that Rosa was keeping notes on stuff like that like Kumasawa was is fairly high.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote