AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-12, 21:34   Link #1
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Vista BSOD

My laptop crashes all the time. I boot it up, and a few minutes later, a BSOD appears. Here's the error:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or drivers. Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80154000, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)

I've tried chkdsk.exe /f, but it won't work. It keeps saying that it can't lock my drive since it's a NTFS and that it'll start when I restart my computer. When I do, it either doesn't come up, or says that it can't lock my disk.

Previously, I was getting KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR, and that's when I started trying to use chkdsk.exe. Eventually, this came up.

I don't know if my hardware manufacturer gave us a hardware diagnostic software, and I've removed all newly installed hardware.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 21:50   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR may indicate that it may be a hardware problem (most likely the drive) or the paging file is too small or corrupt.

Try increasing the size of the paging file... if that doesn't help, try running external hardware diagnostic tools like the Ultimate Boot CD and run tests on the hard drive, memory and cpu to see if they are working properly... if one of the tests failed, you may find the part which is defective...

If all tests passed... try doing a clean install of Windows, but back up everything before proceeding.
Old 2009-06-12, 22:24   Link #3
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I don't have my Vista CD. Can I still use the Ultimate Boot CD?
Old 2009-06-12, 23:05   Link #4
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

I just want to add one thing. If it's a problem with the page file, and it's corrupt, then just increasing it's size might not fix it. You might want to try disabling the page file, and then restart your machine. Then go back and enable the page file again.

And yes, you can still use the Ultimate Boot CD if you don't have your Vista disc.

btw, something similar happened to me a while back. Windows had allocated my pagefile to a drive with very little room, and so when it would try to increase the size of the pagefile, it would crash the system. Make sure you have plenty of room on the drive where the pagefile is allocated.

Last edited by Neat Hedgehog; 2009-06-12 at 23:09. Reason: added some more info
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 23:28   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
I just want to add one thing. If it's a problem with the page file, and it's corrupt, then just increasing it's size might not fix it. You might want to try disabling the page file, and then restart your machine. Then go back and enable the page file again.

And yes, you can still use the Ultimate Boot CD if you don't have your Vista disc.

btw, something similar happened to me a while back. Windows had allocated my pagefile to a drive with very little room, and so when it would try to increase the size of the pagefile, it would crash the system. Make sure you have plenty of room on the drive where the pagefile is allocated.
Seconding all points, although I have never heard of paging areas being corrupted before, much less that such a thing even matters. The drive having too little space sounds more reasonable, especially if the pagefile size was left up to Windows to decide.

Please tell us what your hard drive situation is like, especially the one currently holding the pagefile.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 06:19   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Actually I just got a magazine which had some info on blue screen errors and stop codes and the 7F code you've gotten means your RAM is either mismatched or faulty so that'd be one thing to have a look at.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 20:53   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Actually I just got a magazine which had some info on blue screen errors and stop codes and the 7F code you've gotten means your RAM is either mismatched or faulty so that'd be one thing to have a look at.
If this could be the case, I strongly suggest running a memory diagnostics to see if the ram is faulty.

Ultimate Boot CD should have a tool called "Memtest86" which will test the ram to see if it is faulty. You may also use the Windows Memory Diagnostics by hitting F8 after booting and select the option "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool" or something similar, but Memtest86 will give more accurate results.

If that isn't the case, try disabling the paging file and re-enabling it as suggested earlier.
Old 2009-06-13, 21:11   Link #8
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Yeah, if you're going to test RAM, definitely use Memtest86. I've run into several situations where I did not have a Memtest disc on hand, so I used the Windows tool to check it. It completely failed to find any errors, while Memtest86 reported bad sectors within the first several seconds of testing. Since one of the computers in question was crashing every few minutes, and it was fixed by removing RAM, I was more inclined to believe Memtest86. Haven't used the Windows diagnostic utility since.
Old 2009-06-15, 14:11   Link #9
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I tried Memtest86 and disabling/re-enabling the paging file. Memtest86 came up with no errors on its pass [although I'm not sure how to use it, so that might be a problem], but I still crash.

I don't understand what you mean by 'hard drive situation'.
Old 2009-06-15, 16:30   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have recently looked up the bluescreen error, and I suggest doing the following information provided by Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539
Old 2009-06-15, 16:34   Link #11
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

He means like the size of the hard drive, size of the partition that the page file is on, etc.

Memtest86 is pretty much a no-brainer application. Just turn it on and let it run. I typically run mine for about 8 hours (overnight) if I think I have a RAM problem. Sometimes it won't catch things on the first pass, so it can be good to let it run awhile. (That, and with 6gb of RAM in my system, it takes a few hours just for one batch of tests in the first place)

Did you try running the system for a while with no page file?

Have you tried booting into safe mode, or doing a clean boot to see if it still crashes?

Personally, I would start to suspect the motherboard at this point, since the RAM checks out, and CPU failures are fairly rare (I've only had one go bad out of the dozen I've used over the years) but it never hurts to try a couple things before assuming the worst.
Old 2009-06-16, 04:11   Link #12
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I have recently looked up the bluescreen error, and I suggest doing the following information provided by Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539
Sorry to sink your ship but the information in that link doesn't apply to vista which is what the OP is using
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 21:05   Link #13
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Wow, this is weird. I couldn't get it to crash in Safe Mode, but it crashed in Safe Mode with Networking.

That reminded me, it started crashing when I enabled the wireless receiver that came with the laptop. I've tried turning it off though, but the computer still crashes.

I've tried running the system without the paging file, but it would still crash.

I don't know the size of the partition, but the size of the hard drive is 149 GB, the size of the paging file is 3055 MB, and I've filled around 100 GB of the hard drive.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:34   Link #14
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

That is interesting. Instead of just turning off the wireless receiver, you might want to uninstall your networking device drivers. It sounds like they might be corrupted / glitched somehow.

If that doesn't help, there's an off chance that the windows networking services have gone haywire.
Old 2009-06-24, 20:46   Link #15
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I've uninstalled and reinstalled my Network Connections driver, and so far, the computer hasn't crashed at all.

Thanks for the help. For now, it seems to have been fixed.