AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-20, 19:48   Link #121
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

For a change I agree with President Obama's handling of this situation. There's no telling what the results of these protests will be or the kind of leadership that's going to be in place when it's all said and done. Iran is still Iran and a "revolution" doesn't necessarily guarantee a more favorable attitude towards the U.S.

His "measured response" is appropriate... for now.
Old 2009-06-20, 19:59   Link #122
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
the man is suppose to be the leader of the free world
and yet he's still sitting on the fence on this after A WHOLE FREAKING WEEK
i dont really care WHAT he'll end up doing, but he needs to actually DO something
take a stance, one way or another
right now the entire EU is united in its condemnation of the iranian goverment
that was 3 days ago
what the fuck is obama's position on this
Old 2009-06-20, 20:03   Link #123
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I'm going to give this link with some reservation... it's graphic and violent. This young woman was merely standing next to her father and she was singled out by basij. Please note the commentary by the doctor responding and the apology of the website for posting this. It's done in hope of securing some justice for this innocent life.

I'm only passing this along because I agree with what they say at the end of the commentary... please let the world know.

http://breakfornews.com/KarekarAveShooting090620.htm

There's a link to where the video is. Go there at your own discretion... it's very disturbing.
Peace be with her... if the reaction to her unexpected fate stirs the people of Iran the way that poor girl being flogged in Pakistan got the general population swerved against the Taliban, at least.... well it still sucks no matter what.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 20:31   Link #124
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
i dont really care WHAT he'll end up doing, but he needs to actually DO something
that was 3 days ago
when did we had World Election? Obama is the leader of the USA, not the world. The Interest of the USA is only thing he should be concern about.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2009-06-22 at 11:29.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 20:33   Link #125
AnimeFan188

"Elsewhere in the Iranian capital on Saturday, there were reports that
a suicide bomber blew himself up at the mausoleum of the father of
Iran's revolution, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

State media in Iran said two people were wounded in the incident in
the northern wing of the shrine."

See:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/06/20/iran.html

What goes around comes around I guess.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 21:10   Link #126
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
He has taken a stance. He's not taking the bait that the Iranian govt. is throwing around to make the U.S. look like it's the cause behind the disobedience. This is something that the Iranian people need to make happen. It's the support of other common people around the whole world that should give them encouragement, not the U.S. government, which is mostly despised by much of the Arab world.

Quote:
Peace be with her... if the reaction to her unexpected fate stirs the people of Iran the way that poor girl being flogged in Pakistan got the general population swerved against the Taliban, at least.... well it still sucks no matter what.
Unfortunately, media is controlled in Iran so it's not something that will be televised like the Taliban flogging. The internet/cellphone service is limited so that's a hindrance. I did just see some coverage of American-Iranians in New York protesting and several of them were waving large photos of that young woman's blood-covered face.

The suicide bomber at the mausoleum hasn't been confirmed and I'm hearing reports that it may have been a false story.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:25   Link #127
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
http://breakfornews.com/KarekarAveShooting090620.htm

There's a link to where the video is. Go there at your own discretion... it's very disturbing.
Those eyes are scary as hell to see. In Chinese culture (superstition if you will), dying with open eyes show pure, terrible injustice.

Quote:
that was 3 days ago
He can't. If he openly supports the uprising and it fails (still highly possible), it will undo all of his efforts to bring the Middle East to his favor. No matter how supportive the people around the world is, the outcome is still up in the air, and objectively I'm not entirely optimistic about it, and I'm sure neither is Obama.

On the other hand, if he doesn't support the uprising, the rest of the world (and at least a third of America) gets verbal ammunition against the United States.

This is really all Obama could say until the Iranian armed forces systematically shoot at the crowds, which is basically the point of no return that everyone is hoping they don't have to see. As of now, the sporadic killing isn't going to get enough of a reaction. We feel it because the internet has a habit of amplifying every emotion.

Last edited by Claies; 2009-06-20 at 21:35.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 22:26   Link #128
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Those eyes are scary as hell to see. In Chinese culture (superstition if you will), dying with open eyes show pure, terrible injustice.
Her name is Neda (I can't bring myself to refer to her in past tense). There's now a twitter page devoted to her.
Old 2009-06-21, 00:48   Link #129
Oppius
Banned

In my country, people here accused the USA behind the riot. Of course, my country always in Iran's side. They even approve the nuclear programs in hope Israel may be wiped out soon.

However please don't count me as one because I don't to take side in this issue.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 01:02   Link #130
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think those who accuse the States of being the mastermind are both overestimating the effectiveness of the CIA and underestimating the raw feelings of those who went onto the streets.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 01:25   Link #131
Lvrhina
Akamatsu Fan

Send a message via MSN to Lvrhina
The US media is very bias so unless you have satellite it's hard to know what exactly really is going on.
Lvrhina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 01:29   Link #132
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I think those who accuse the States of being the mastermind are both overestimating the effectiveness of the CIA and underestimating the raw feelings of those who went onto the streets.
The involvement of CIA in several Coup d'état in the past is the reason behind this, i guess. I means Iran can even create an obviously fake one and half of the world will still believe CIA (partly or entirely) behind it.

Back to the issue, I do not think that this "uprising" will go anywhere actually. Maybe it will affect future events/ developments. But if i'm Obama, i will behave exactly like what he did
Old 2009-06-21, 03:17   Link #133
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

it doesnt MATTER if this upraising would go anywhere or not
a line has already been crossed
there are already over 30 dead (if you believe some sources, the number could be as high as 150) and the riots are STILL going strong despite (or maybe becouse of) that fact
that video that Mushi posted could well be more fuel for the fire
no matter how this ends, iran wont be the same tomorrow as it is today

if obama stays on the sidelines he would end up losing the respect from the arab world, and of the iranian people themselves, as he would be revealed as all talk and yet afraid to even take a STANCE
if you thought NK was flipping him the finger, guess what the iranian goverment would be doing once it regains control
and you can already forget his so called "middle east peace plan" or his intention of talking iran out of its nuclear program
if the man cant even bring himself to demend out loud that the iranian goverment stop killing its own people, then what the fuck could he possibly achive through talking
keep in mind that most of the arab world would love nothing more then to see iran's corrent regime gone, as they fear it

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-06-21 at 12:10.
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 03:20   Link #134
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
if obama stays on the sidelines he would end up losing the respect from the arab world, and of the iranian people themselves
Iranians are Persian, not Arab. They speak Farsi.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 03:27   Link #135
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Iranians are Persian, not Arab. They speak Farsi.
hence my choice of the phrase "the arab world AND the iranian people"
i know that they arent arab

edit:
and i might have to take my words back

Obama: Stop 'unjust' actions in Iran
Using uncharacteristic bluntness, US president urges gov't to 'stop violence towards its own people'

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...734247,00.html
Old 2009-06-21, 04:31   Link #136
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
that video that Mushi posted could well be more fuel for the fire
Well, she's currently #6 in the Twitter Trending Topics.

Some of the repeating tweets...

-Neda means voice in persian, she died to give us a change to spread her voice for freedom, spreed the word.

-If an innocent girl gets shot halfway across the world, does she make a sound? Yes, the whole world hears her.

-If in future God gives me a daughter, I will name her Neda.

-PLEASE PLEASE. Use the #neda hashtag! We must keep her a trending topic! We won't forget!

-Please change your avatar to remember Neda. (with a link to the following image):

Reports are now saying that she was 16 years old. So sad. There are other who have died, of course, but that image of her eyes turning towards the camera as the last flicker of life fades away from her. It's so powerful.
Old 2009-06-21, 04:59   Link #137
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

There's an entry at The Huffington Post that is allegedly from Neda's sister.

Quote:
Yesterday I wrote a note, with the subject line "tomorrow is a great day perhaps tomorrow I'll be killed." I'm here to let you know I'm alive but my sister was killed...

I'm here to tell you my sister died while in her father's hands
I'm here to tell you my sister had big dreams...
I'm here to tell you my sister who died was a decent person... and like me yearned for a day when her hair would be swept by the wind... and like me read "Forough" [Forough Farrokhzad]... and longed to live free and equal... and she longed to hold her head up and announce, "I'm Iranian"... and she longed to one day fall in love to a man with a shaggy hair... and she longed for a daughter to braid her hair and sing lullaby by her crib...

my sister died from not having life... my sister died as injustice has no end... my sister died since she loved life too much... and my sister died since she lovingly cared for people...

my loving sister, I wish you had closed your eyes when your time had come... the very end of your last glance burns my soul....

sister have a short sleep. your last dream be sweet.
There are a lot of rumors and misinformation in a situation like this so it's hard to say for sure what is what. Let your heart be your guide, I guess.
Old 2009-06-21, 05:16   Link #138
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

does anyone know the name "Muhammad al-Durrah"

if you dont remember the NAME
maybe the picture would remind you
Spoiler for thats him:

he's the kid who got killed during an exchange of fire between israeli and palestinian gunman in gaza in 2000
the video of him sparked a HUGE wave of protest all over the world and inflamed the already existing situation
he became a symbol
could this be the iranian Muhammad al-Durrah
if so, we could be in this for a while
becouse if history is repeating itself, they are going to cynically exploit this young womans death this for all its worth
Old 2009-06-21, 05:25   Link #139
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
There's an entry at The Huffington Post that is allegedly from Neda's sister.

There are a lot of rumors and misinformation in a situation like this so it's hard to say for sure what is what. Let your heart be your guide, I guess.
Is Neda's sister one of the 13 victims in Iran right now? Apparently, there is now an exchange of gun-fire between both sides. Generally, as long as the leader candidate Mousavi is willing to risk getting detained and arrested, this will be a long battle that neither side will have a clear win. In fact, even if Mousavi were to back down, he will most likely get killed in the long-run as that he is clearly a threat to the current Iranian dictatorship.

Generally, if Iran possesses nuclear weapons, Israel and parts of Europe will be at risk of getting nuked. On the contrary, if Mousavi wins the election.. This sort of possibility would never occur as that Iran will most likely denuclearize. However, it does seem that Mousavi's supporters are on the losing end here as that they are greatly outnumber by the current Iranian president's side, not mentioning a lack of military arms.
Old 2009-06-21, 05:42   Link #140
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
However, it does seem that Mousavi's supporters are on the losing end here as that they are greatly outnumber by the current Iranian president's side, not mentioning a lack of military arms.
There's no way of knowing. I've read rumors of police joining protesters and divisions in the leadership. If that's even remotely true, this could turn into a prolonged struggle.

Here's an image that I find to be fascinating.

Iran's got some tough women. She's wearing that shiner with pride.