AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-19, 13:13   Link #81
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I'm lovin how OP chapters are coming out way sooner then either Bleach or Naruto chapters ^^
If only OP side characters got some face and weren't so neglected, everything would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
^Yeah, I was baffled by the endnote, as well. Why was Oda, or his editor, emphasizing the "awesomeness"" of Jinbei? It was very weird...
It was awkward, but then again his intro and end notes or titles are rarely any good, but then again Luffy did say Jinbei is a awesome, so its not out of Odas character to agree with him. (Odas a Luffy fanboy much)
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 13:35   Link #82
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I'm lovin how OP chapters are coming out way sooner then either Bleach or Naruto chapters ^^
Save the more exciting series for last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka
Well, its his job. I'll be really disappointed if he just watched them escape now....
Yeah, Luffy doesn't deserve to go to Marineford, Mags needs to waste Luffy here and now.
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 13:45   Link #83
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Still with the "deserves" rhetoric? No one deserves to go to Marineford (ther's no secret test you can take (for a pirate at least) which makes you eligible for admission to Marineford), but plenty of people want to go to Marineford, Whitebeard and Luffy among them...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 13:53   Link #84
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Whitebeard deserves to go because he has the power to save his Nakama, Luffy doesn't.

I just hope the Blackbeard pirates doesn't come and try to interfere with Mags trying to capture Luffy next chapter. I suspect the next chapter we might see the Blackbeard pirates and their new members......"Shiryu of the Rain," Katarina Devon, The Giant Battleship, San Juan Wolf... Basco Shot, the Drunk.

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2009-06-19 at 14:16.
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 14:06   Link #85
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Whitebeard deserves to go because he has the power to save his Nakama, Luffy doesn't.
No, having power (whatever it may be) doesn't mean you "deserve" anything (only villains ever think that having power measn that you "deserve" something in return (case and point...many of the villains Luffy has faced - Morgan, Arlong, Buggy, Crocodile (to an extent), and Enel (definetly)). It simply means that you have power.

Whitebeard wanting to save Ace is undisputed, as if Luffy wanting to save Ace. Whether they succeed or not is defintely helped by whatever power they may posses, but simply having the power is not indicitive of success, nor does it have a direct bearing on their wants/desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
I just hope the Blackbeard pirates doesn't come and try to interfere with Mags trying to capture Luffy next chapter. I suspect the next chapter we might see the Blackbeard pirates and their new members..."Shiryu of the Rain," Katarina Devon, The Giant Battleship, San Juan Wolf... Basco Shot, the Drunk.
Since the first time I heard about Katarina Devon, I have wanted to know about her history. Colour me a feminist, but I love strong female characters, and since Hancock has...not quite lived up to her title (she still has time), I want to see what Katarina can do...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 14:15   Link #86
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
No, having power (whatever it may be) doesn't mean you "deserve" anything (only villains ever think that having power measn that you "deserve" something in return (case and point...many of the villains Luffy has faced - Morgan, Arlong, Buggy, Crocodile (to an extent), and Enel (definetly)). It simply means that you have power.

Whitebeard wanting to save Ace is undisputed, as if Luffy wanting to save Ace. Whether they succeed or not is defintely helped by whatever power they may posses, but simply having the power is not indicitive of success, nor does it have a direct bearing on their wants/desires.
Spoiler:


Quote:
Since the first time I heard about Katarina Devon, I have wanted to know about her history. Colour me a feminist, but I love strong female characters, and since Hancock has...not quite lived up to her title, I want to see what Katarina can do...
Well Katarina was described as being strong/fearsome...
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 14:41   Link #87
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Whitebeard deserves to go because he has the power to save his Nakama, Luffy doesn't.
Well, Luffy by his own rubber power alone can't take on Marineford. His charm to gather people can help him though...
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 15:03   Link #88
Vanitas
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Uranus
Well I was certaintly surprised to see that Ivankov has blue hair, I was expecting him to have blond or pink hair but it's always a surprise with Oda I guess

This was a pretty good chapter, looks like Luffy and co are in the clear (from Magellan at least) and they just need to reach Ace in time but then there is also Shiryuu who is possibly still out there somewhere (wonder what he's up to?)
Vanitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 15:42   Link #89
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Spoiler:
LMAO! So I guess Monkey D Poopy now gets the right to save Ace while facing even more impossible odds. I wished Oda would keep Luffy's weak baby a$$ out of this event and keep it to the Big players. Heck in fact I'm sick of hearing a$$ back wards arguments, like "Luffy wants to save Ace" WTF SO! that don't mean he is suppose to or should when others who are more qualified then luffy have the same goal? Everyone wants to do X, that does not mean they are qualified or can. Wanting simply can't get you no where. Its the work you put in, and how you stack up against someone with the same goal as you. Point is who is more qualified?

Whitebeard Pirates Or Monkey D Luffy?

Newgate is more qualified then Luffy who couldn't even save his own crew mates with the help of the Silvers, Heck Kuma had to step in and cover there a$$es.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Still with the "deserves" rhetoric? No one deserves to go to Marineford (ther's no secret test you can take (for a pirate at least) which makes you eligible for admission to Marineford), but plenty of people want to go to Marineford, Whitebeard and Luffy among them...
Newgate was invited (Ala come save Ace b**ch - sincerely The World Goverment) to Marineford, along with the Admirals etc Seven Armed Seas. Luffy just wants to go party crash.

Last edited by Master Mold; 2009-06-19 at 15:55.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 15:55   Link #90
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
If only OP side characters got some face and weren't so neglected, everything would be perfect.
What did you mean when you said this? With that term "got some face", I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means in terms of sexual relations.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 15:57   Link #91
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
What did you mean when you said this? With that term "got some face", I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means in terms of sexual relations.
Get some face time, as in spot light, but then again since they are rarely shown, it is like they don't have faces anymore. In fact I seem to be forgetting some of there names.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 16:06   Link #92
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
Get some face time, as in spot light, but then again since they are rarely shown, it is like they don't have faces anymore. In fact I seem to be forgetting some of there names.
In that case, here are the names of the characters that I'd like to see faces of:

Katarina Devon, The Giant Battleship, San Juan Wolf, Basco Shot, the Drunk, Akainu, Dr. Vegapunk, Kaidou and the yet to be named 4th Yonkou.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 16:19   Link #93
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mold View Post
Heck in fact I'm sick of hearing a$$ back wards arguments, like "Luffy wants to save Ace" WTF SO! that don't mean he is suppose to or should when others who are more qualified then luffy have the same goal? Everyone wants to do X, that does not mean they are qualified or can. Wanting simply can't get you no where. Its the work you put in, and how you stack up against someone with the same goal as you. Point is who is more qualified?
Whitebeard is more qualified to save Ace...or at least he has the greater chance of succeeding in a frontal assault. I do not think anyone has ever denied this (or at least I have never denied this). The point I, and others, have made many times, though, is that if Whitebeard has any sort of "right" to try and save Ace (as you and Phenomenal have often said), then Luffy has a similar "right" (if you do not like the word right, please insert "want" or "desire" instead).

To put it another way, this idea that only power and power alone allows anyone to do anything, even to try something, is falacious. Power is what helps you to succeed, it is not what gives you the ability to try.

Consequently, this idea that Oda shouldn't even let Luffy try is not only preposterous, it is downright ignorant (of the story and the characters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mold View Post
Newgate was invited (Ala come save Ace b**ch - sincerely The World Goverment) to Marineford, along with the Admirals etc Seven Armed Seas. Luffy just wants to go party crash.
See, I actually agree with this assessment...sadly enough, though, this is similar to what I have said repeatedly in the past. It is in Luffy's character to try and save Ace, that is, more or less, a canon fact. But, the problem is, people seem to not understand that the argument I, and others, have made concerning Luffy trying, does not imply Luffy succeeding. I would be just as content for Luffy to try and then fail, as I would be for Luffy to try and then succeed. In fact, Luffy failing could provide many more interesting story paths.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-06-19 at 16:47.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 17:20   Link #94
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
One an unrelated note, Oda's character design qualities - and how he makes each character so distinct from one another - really came out in the chapter. Even during a common fight scene, there's little details that distinguish two sullen and quiet characters: Crocodile and Das Bones. Crocodile wordless kicks ass, while Das allows some banter with his opponent; he states his devil's fruit, and THEN proceeds to kick the shit out of them. =D
__________________
You are incompetent!
wispyhollow.livejournal.com

^Original manga series @ livejournal
(f-locked, comment to be added)
Change of Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 17:23   Link #95
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
James0246 why do you even bother we have been over this to many times. Maybe like some other manga luffy will go to battle weak( just like other char) get stab and then get some stupid power up. No matter what you say ,they are not going to change there minds.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 17:37   Link #96
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Whitebeard is more qualified to save Ace...
Nuff said.

Quote:
or at least he has the greater chance of succeeding in a frontal assault. I do not think anyone has ever denied this (or at least I have never denied this). The point I, and others, have made many times, though, is that if Whitebeard has any sort of "right" to try and save Ace (as you and Phenomenal have often said), then Luffy has a similar "right" (if you do not like the word right, please insert "want" or "desire" instead).
You don't get the right to save Ace when your not qualified. That is my argument.

Quote:
See, I actually agree with this assessment...
Good to know.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 17:59   Link #97
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mold View Post
You don't get the right to save Ace when your not qualified. That is my argument.
And, sadly enough, that is a foolish argument based on no evidence and is ultimately ignorant of not only the series, but the entire Shounen "genre". When was the last time you saw a Shounen fight in which the main character was inhernetly "qualified" to be the hero (the last I can think of to be published was Kenshin, but even he had to undergo some training arcs)? So, unless you are going to start deriding Naruto for fighting Akatsuki/Pain, and Ichigo for attempting to conquer Hueco Mundo (just to refference the other 2 members of the Holy Trinity of (current) Shounen Jump who both attempted to bite off more than they could chew, even when those better than them told them not to) then not only is your opinion ridiculously biased, it is still an outright ignorant comment in regards to the actual story.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-06-19 at 18:10. Reason: Took out some of the more derisive comments...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 19:08   Link #98
Master Mold
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LA CA
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
And, sadly enough, that is a foolish argument based on absolutely no evidence and is ultimately ignorant of not only the series, but the entire Shounen "genre".[
No its not Mr fanboi, Look at this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Spoiler:
Your the only one who is ignorant of the story. Luffy has failed to save his OWN crew while getting help from Silvers. You think he is qualified to save Ace, who is at a place where there are guys who are many times stronger then a Kuma Bot who can chase Luffy (who hasn't gotten any stronger since then) away?

Why am I asking you think so.


Quote:
When was the last time you saw any Shounen fight in which the main characters was inherently "qualified" to be the hero (the last I can think of to be published was Kenshin, but even he had to undergo some training arcs)?
Goku..................

You named one. You need to read more Shounen manga or at least actual read them. Not so that you can diss them to pump up One Pieces faggoty......Heck lets look at the Naruto manga, that you b***h about all the time. Naruto was qualified to beat Pain for Naruto actual trained, got stronger, learned sh8t and improved on old sh8t, and used all the Intel/help the village gathered for him and aid they offered. Kenshin undergo some training arcs as you stated, that qualified him to over come X battle. Heck you got guys in Yu Yu Hak training and gaining sh8t so they can over come X battle in Dark tournament etc etc.

They just don't over come X because they are the main character. if that was the case Naruto would have been nothing but bomb since chapter 1.


Quote:
So, unless you are going to start deriding Naruto for fighting Akatsuki/Pain, and Ichigo for attempting to conquer Hueco Mundo (just to name the other 2 members of the Holy Trinity of (current) Shounen Jump) then not only is your opinion ridiculously biased, it is still an outright ignorant comment in regards to the actual story.
No your the one who is biased. You can't even accept the fact that Ods boi Luffy is not even qualified to save Ace. Don't bring up the other Main characters from the other Holy Trinity, when they actual work to archive ends and when its not enough they don't. Where as Luffy gets wasted, and comes back and beats the bad guy with some unexplained bull sh8t. The only one having trouble understanding these crappy stories is you James. Heck I see Phenom regurgitate story points for you in the Bleach thread.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 19:27   Link #99
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
OP does not have training arcs when luffy going to do some thing we see it when he does it . While you might not like that , i do .
Also don't come with that that bull shit that they work for it . Ichigo went got his ass kick, get some stupid power up everyone saw coming a mile away. That he can't even control yet .
Same for naruto went away 3 years and learn nothing why , so we can see in manga doing more training arcs. yeah let wait for 20 chapters to see naruto add a windmill around the only move he does. Training Arc is a easy way for a manga to fill pages .
Your idea that you have go and train to beat someone or to save someone in manga that never had training arcs is stupid .

Poor luffy he's only one that does have a save move. Naruto 9 tails power , Ichigo make another new form from his mask. Maybe Haki will be luffy own.

Last edited by andy; 2009-06-19 at 20:19.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 20:30   Link #100
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
Your the only one who is ignorant of the story. Luffy has failed to save his OWN crew while getting help from Silvers. You think he is qualified to save Ace, who is at a place where there are guys who are many times stronger then a Kuma Bot who can chase Luffy (who hasn't gotten any stronger since then) away?
“Sigh” Again, being qualified has nothing to do with anything. One of the basic tenets of Luffy’s character is to try and help/save his nakama. Does he always succeed? No, of course not. But, whether he succeeds or fails is totally irrelevant to the discussion (what’s the point of arguing how well Luffy will perform in the war, considering he isn’t even in the war yet?). You are ignorant of the story (or you simply do not understand it) because you do not understand such basic facts of Luffy’s character definition. Failing to save his friends is the worst possible outcome to Luffy’s, but not even trying is no different from failing. So, Luffy will try his hardest to rescue Ace, and even if he fails, at least he tried
Spoiler for continuing this long message...:
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.