AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-19, 17:43   Link #121
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sixth Layer of Celestia
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The biggest issue I have with this episode is that K-On! really was about:
1) moe fluff (check)
2) slice of life, friends coming together as a team (check)
3) the musical ka-blam .....

Unfortunately, ep 12 stumbled a bit on item 3 in terms of animating it. I'm hoping the DVDs go for a higher framerate and a few other things during the actual musical numbers. I still think I understand what they were trying to do with the profile facial expressions... but it seems to be a bit too weird for many.
I couldn't have said it better. People seem to take K-ON way too seriously... Then again, they take Haruhi way too seriously with opposite results, although I consider both cases over overanalyzing unfortunate and missing the point.

If I have a gripe with K-ON is that it was leaving its moe/cute self aside for some unneeded teen drama. Other than that, it was fun.

But yeah, the animation there sucked pretty bad. The singer close ups had no fluidity whatsoever. I suppose their budget was limited. I don't believe they couldn't do it.
npal is online now  
Old 2009-06-19, 17:46   Link #122
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England
Age: 24
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?
__________________

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 17:57   Link #123
Mckendrick
Jr Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?

Id probably say Mio's. Mostly because it flows together more fluently with her.
I perfer Yiu's singing in the OP though, wonder what it would sound like if Mio did a version fo the OP.
__________________


I was on of the few and lucky to make the pilgrimage to San Fransisco for the Disappearance movie. Hit me up if you wish talk about it.
Mckendrick is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 18:14   Link #124
Parappa
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?
Mio for me. Her singing voice is better (most would agree). However, I have to say that Yui's version was true to herself and more energetic and uptempo. Still enjoyable and not far behind Mio's version.
Parappa is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 18:16   Link #125
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sixth Layer of Celestia
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?
Yui for a number of stupid reasons.

1. Yui is my favorite K-ON girl.
2. Mio is overhyped. I'm allergic to excessive hype.
3. I don't particularly care about the song anyway.
npal is online now  
Old 2009-06-19, 18:28   Link #126
kyosak
poo
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
3. I don't particularly care about the song anyway.
Although I liked the episode as a whole, I was pretty disappointed that they decided to use Fuwa Fuwa Time for the final performance...
kyosak is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 18:55   Link #127
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of the 2010 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?
Mio...Yui's singing voice just makes me want to mute the show, no offense. It's too...cutesy (Mio's is too, but Yui's is just waaaayyy too over the top).
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 19:24   Link #128
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I know Kyo-Ani is giving it the usual cross-spectrum marketing buzz (K-on! splashed on the buses, posters on the buildings, etc) -- but I haven't yet gotten a feel for whether the fan reaction comes close to that for SHnY or L*S. I should check the initial DVD sales figures and compare them - that's often a fair indicator.

Sorry if I sounded brusque there... I've just gotten a bit more cynical after watching too many very fine deserving series forever languish in limbo after a great first season, very popular, much more material available, etc.

I tend to think we're simply getting more sequels lately simply because its a "safer bet" in the rough economic climate.
No problem at all. I can understand where you're getting at, and I agree with you all in one neat little package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change of Pace View Post
Personally, I do think if it wasn't KyoAni animting this, K-On would not have gotten this popular and recieved as much attention as it has but hey, that's a privelage that KyoAni has developped for themself, so it's not like it's unfair or anything. People have higher standard when it comes to KyoAni, which isn't false, and I know that I was probably initially more eager to see K-On! than if it were by another company, again because of KyoAni's prestigious label. Well, that's just how it is.
Have to agree there, the reason I expected so much from this was because it was a Kyoani production, which was also the reason why I was so disappointed in the vast amounts of mediocrity the show had to offer. On the other hand, I never would have picked it up and stuck with it to the very end if it wasn't a Kyoani show. A double-edged sword of sorts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
How come no one has mentioned Mugi-chan with ponytail yet?
She's so nonexistent her hairstyle is the least of my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Funny enough, the only character that even got what I would consider to be any development was the teacher (Sawakawa-sensei?)
Personal opinion, but I'd say the best "character development" we ever really got was the relationship between Yui and Ui (at least before Ui started turning into a crazy yandere siscon). Sawako-sensei's "development" really felt like nothing more than a comedy gig that worked for the most part, until they decided to forget about it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
While there are other things I would love to point out, I'll mention just one last thing. The concert scenes have been extremely disappointed the whole series, and the finale was no different. It makes me extremely sad that the best song of the entire show (Supposed to be a show with music as a huge focus no?) was the ED. The OP had the only animation worth talking about of the member's actually playing their instrument.
Most definitely going to agree with these points. The OP and ED are just as guilty as Kyoani for setting my expectations for this show so high. I think it's safe to say that I was "blown away" (for lack of a better term" by both of them, and I was expecting that level of quality to become the norm. A shame things didn't turn out that way, but as we already know that wasn't Kyoani's intent to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Emblem View Post
So Mio or Yui. Who's Fuwa Fuwa time was best?
Must you all always make me choose between them? I'd have to go with Mio as the superior Fuwa Fuwa Timer, but Yui is only an eyelash behind.
__________________
Tamad is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 19:32   Link #129
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I like that it was Mugi that started their encore. She pushed and they followed. Mio has the better voice, but Yui's time around was more fun. It was them enjoying it rather than being nervous about it.

Also Yui has a wacky imagination...pickle eyebrows on rice?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now  
Old 2009-06-19, 19:43   Link #130
TheBigN
Piercing heavens with ~s
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DC Metropolitan Area
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to TheBigN Send a message via MSN to TheBigN Send a message via Yahoo to TheBigN Send a message via Skype™ to TheBigN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The biggest issue I have with this episode is that K-On! really was about:
1) moe fluff (check)
2) slice of life, friends coming together as a team (check)
3) the musical ka-blam ..... (not so check)
Really? I'm a fan of number 2 myself. There's a lot more to a band than just playing music, in terms of coming together and things like that. I'm fine with the amount of performances we've gotten from the band (and practices or glimpses of either), especially because there's more to a band than just playing music. And there wasn't necessarily any indication that just because the girls were forming a band that music was going to be a constant very important consequence of that. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Secondly, the idea of the K-On group as a close and a that the characters share a strong bond that was built over time just never came through either. Sure now they want it to seem that way, but honestly there was no real progressive growth that I could see and the relationships just aren't there. If they were going to go for this kind of finale then they should have planned for it in the earlier episodes by working to make the bond feel real rather than just a sequence of barely connected gags and one liners.
I don't know about that. Than the beach episodes didn't matter to you? Or Mio picking up the slack when Yui forgot her words in episode 8? Yui in this episode still attempting to come and play when she wasn't 100%? The group working together to buy Yui a guitar or help her pass make-up exams? I thought the idea came through to me pretty well.

It might have been subtle, or there might not have been enough important life-changing moments or focusing on specific characters as much as others, but I do think that we can see a bond between the band members.

And as to the episode, I really enjoyed the execution of the switcheroo, and I thought Yui's vocals were nice.
__________________

Drastic My Anime Blog- My anime blog.
TheBigN is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:04   Link #131
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I still think I understand what they were trying to do with the profile facial expressions... but it seems to be a bit too weird for many.
Yes, I was surprised by the reactions to this. Despite the art style (which has been a thing some people have struggled to get used to all along), the movements here were clearly modeled after actual performances especially re: proximity to the microphone and motions while playing. And correctly, you don't notice these sorts of movements when you're in the audience, but you do notice it if you're up on stage with the band. Of course it has all the "finesse" of a high school band that's trying a bit too hard, but that's supposed to be the point, I think. I definitely don't feel this was some sort of art screw-up or error in animation. Of course, I realize that people are comparing it to the slick look of the famous Haruhi scene (which had a more polished digital look to the art style), but all of the trademark attention to musical detail was there in this scene as well.

All in all, I don't see this as, by any means, a "low budget" animation production. I think it's mostly just that it goes for a more organic "hand-drawn" look that runs a bit counter to the more modern-looking styles the studio uses in some of their other shows. It didn't surprise me to hear that they had 15+ keys in this episode; it was full of details and unique motion. Most late-night shows can only dream of having this much motion and care applied.


As for the episode itself... in some ways, I am baffled by what's posted in this thread (as opposed to the poll, which is more like what I expected). It seems to me that this was a fitting way of bringing the series back full-circle, tieing things into the central premise and showing the progress that's been made in the lives of the characters on the whole (and especially for Yui herself). If you liked episode 1, I can't picture what you wouldn't also appreciate in episode 12, which seems to me to be very much in the same vein. This was very much a "coda" to the entire work, so it makes total sense to me why they called it the "finale". So I'm baffled "in some ways", but I suppose that episode 12 also represents all the things the show is and also the things that it was never trying to be. People might have enjoyed episode 1 under a false impression, and now it's obvious that "this is the sort of show it is".

I'm not trying to say that the show or the episode were perfect, but I think it was a solid episode and, at the end of the day, a solid show. It's about a group of girls who, using music as a excuse, were able to become close friends and find a place to belong. It's not an overly-ambitious premise, but it's got heart; I guess that's either enough for you or it isn't.
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:21   Link #132
Fome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Why is everyone calling this an "ending?"
Fome is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:22   Link #133
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
The word "last episode" in the title card, for one.
Midonin is online now  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:31   Link #134
Wyxor
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Why is everyone calling this an "ending?"
because the topic's name is K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] lol
__________________
__________________
__________________


__________________
Wyxor is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:36   Link #135
Fome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The word "last episode" in the title card, for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyxor View Post
because the topic's name is K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] lol
Yeah I can read. Why is everyone saying its the finale? Isn't it just the season finale? This isn't the last episode right?
Fome is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:40   Link #136
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Yeah I can read. Why is everyone saying its the finale? Isn't it just the season finale? This isn't the last episode right?
To be clear the show has this apparent structure:

12 TV Episodes + 1 TV Special + 1 DVD/Blu-Ray Special = 14 Episodes

The show itself called this episode the "Final Episode", even though there are still two more episodes to go. It's the wrap-up of the central story, and whatever else there is could count as "extra".

Possibilities of a second season are notwithstanding, since we have no idea if or when that's going to happen.
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:47   Link #137
Fome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
To be clear the show has this apparent structure:

12 TV Episodes + 1 TV Special + 1 DVD/Blu-Ray Special = 14 Episodes

The show itself called this episode the "Final Episode", even though there are still two more episodes to go. It's the wrap-up of the central story, and whatever else there is could count as "extra".

Possibilities of a second season are notwithstanding, since we have no idea if or when that's going to happen.
Ah thanks for clearing that up.
Fome is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:55   Link #138
Ryo K
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Such a great show wasted for some of you ppl. Why even bother watching through to the end. ? it puzzles me. Unless watched it through just to bash it, just because its popular show.
I think the show wrapped up perfectly, and to some, its just not good enough. Apparently they are just that great and can write better.
Ryo K is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 20:57   Link #139
Texas84
よろしく
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia USA
Wow, some of you give low ratings because it's not what you wanted? You're missing the point. It's not a drama. It's SUPPOSED to be a silly, happy story about cute girls. They succeeded. 10/10. Go watch Air again.

Here's some alternate endings for you: Yui gets killed by a car running to get her guitar. Mio gets knocked up and dies in child birth. Happy now?
Texas84 is offline  
Old 2009-06-19, 21:24   Link #140
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas84 View Post
Here's some alternate endings for you: Yui gets killed by a car running to get her guitar. Mio gets knocked up and dies in child birth. Happy now?
You say this in jest, but there were a number of people in the last episode thread who were ready to say the show would have been "the best ever" if it had endings like that. So... be careful what you wish for?

Though I do agree that the people complaining about the show have largely been complaining for some time now. It's mostly about "unmet expectations" than about actual "poor quality", I think.
relentlessflame is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.