AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 55 30.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 24.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 19.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 13.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 6.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.20%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-21, 04:18   Link #161
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
You mean... THIS?

This made the episode for me. I literally clapped when they showed this. Two things on why it's more awesome than the usual Itano Circus (objectively, there's only one reason actually, but since I'm a Macross fanboy, I'll add another one):

1. "Kakizaki!" + camera zoom out at "missile" launch + explosions over a large area = It's a Macross tribute. And this time it's an in-episode one rather than the "Listen to my song!" / "Bomber!" back in 2006 at the end of Day of Sagittarius in the preview for Live Alive.

2. bike + toy rockets = It shows more or less how Ichiro Itano developed his Circus.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 04:26   Link #162
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Speaking one's mind out loud doesn't really mean he's crazy -- a few of my friends do it in their unguarded moments too -- it's just that it's one of the more likely theories out there.
This really does make a lot of sense. Kyon has always been rather eccentric, despite his insistence that he's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
Just what the hell was yuki playing with at the fireworks scene?
Some kind of pyrotechnic toy, it appears. Maybe that's what happens when you bury a firework...?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 04:28   Link #163
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Speaking one's mind out loud doesn't really mean he's crazy -- a few of my friends do it in their unguarded moments too -- it's just that it's one of the more likely theories out there. Discounting the possibility that Haruhi might have an empathic link with Kyon (which might go some ways to explain why she seems to be able to read Kyon's mind), it doesn't really explain why everyone else can reply to Kyon's musings as well.
A couple of times okay, but Kyon do that ALL the time. This doesn't work like this. Or maybe he just too honest and can't deny his thoughts and end up talking, hehe.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 04:30   Link #164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
This made the episode for me. I literally clapped when they showed this. Two things on why it's more awesome than the usual Itano Circus (objectively, there's only one reason actually, but since I'm a Macross fanboy, I'll add another one):

1. "Kakizaki!" + camera zoom out at "missile" launch + explosions over a large area = It's a Macross tribute. And this time it's an in-episode one rather than the "Listen to my song!" / "Bomber!" back in 2006 at the end of Day of Sagittarius in the preview for Live Alive.

2. bike + toy rockets = It shows more or less how Ichiro Itano developed his Circus.
Despite the fact that it looks absolutely nothing like a proper Itano Circus. Where are the long winding missile trails?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 04:55   Link #165
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Despite the fact that it looks absolutely nothing like a proper Itano Circus. Where are the long winding missile trails?
Maybe the short duration doesn't do it much justice such that we don't see long winding missile trails. But I do see trails and they indicate erratic trajectory. Were you looking for the trails right before the explosions? As far as I remember in Macross, the missiles and trails do disappear shortly before we see the explosions over a large area.

I have an idea, let's just ask ghostlightning about this.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 05:31   Link #166
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Speaking one's mind out loud doesn't really mean he's crazy -- a few of my friends do it in their unguarded moments too -- it's just that it's one of the more likely theories out there. Discounting the possibility that Haruhi might have an empathic link with Kyon (which might go some ways to explain why she seems to be able to read Kyon's mind), it doesn't really explain why everyone else can reply to Kyon's musings as well.
There's some scenes where he's clearly not speaking out loud as he's narrating (leaving open the possibility that he simply says the words while he's off-camera).

Remember; what Kyon (/the camera) shows you isn't neccessarily what happens immediately; he has liberty to skip a few seconds back and forth, enough to screw with your brain
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 06:41   Link #167
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
Just what the hell was yuki playing with at the fireworks scene?
snake firework:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_snake_(firework)

"After lighting the small tablet, the firework starts smoking and an ash resembling a snake is expelled. They stay on the ground and do not emit sparks, flares, any form of projectiles, or any sound, but may release smoke." --wiki.

for fun:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103776
__________________
:> Suddenly a birdy appears! What do you do?
SSJiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 10:05   Link #168
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Woah. Deleted posts galore, no doubt with the same concerns as I, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
Everything beyond this episode is new right?

Been away since the first episode so I am a bit behind.
I grabbed this list a while back from somewhere... Valid?
Spoiler for episode list:
__________________
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 11:26   Link #169
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I still find it fascinating that of all the fire works available, Yuki is playing with the snake one.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 12:37   Link #170
chinaboat
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I still find it fascinating that of all the fire works available, Yuki is playing with the snake one.
Well, there is something kinda mesmerizing about watching a snake relatively slowly "uncoil", the structure is constantly changing - perhaps that was the fascination.
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 13:09   Link #171
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
I grabbed this list a while back from somewhere... Valid?
Well, there has been no officially-published schedule of episodes. In fact, it's a very-tightly kept secret, given that the episodes don't even contain next-episode previews. So that was just an early fan "best guess" based on what they knew of the novels, but nobody knows exactly how long the different arcs for the different novel stories will be.

So I guess the short answer is, treat it as a "good guess", but not as fact. Things are always subject to unexpected change (especially given that they're keeping it such a tight secret).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 14:51   Link #172
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
An interesting thing Kyoto Animation has been doing with the series is making slight changes from the original script to have Haruhi act a little nicer to Kyon than she does in the novel equivalents of the scene (That or the B-T translations are just goofy). Like in Endless Eight when they go to get the yukata's she says Koizumi would look good in one but when she looks at him she gives an ugly expression (No such scene in the episode). Also, they always make sure to have her call out his name when trying to get the group's attention, and offering the Takoyaki to him first. Actually, they just make her more considerate in general. They even made a point of her mentioning Yuki's yukata too, when she usually just ignores her in the books.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 15:15   Link #173
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
An interesting thing Kyoto Animation has been doing with the series is making slight changes from the original script to have Haruhi act a little nicer to Kyon than she does in the novel equivalents of the scene (That or the B-T translations are just goofy). Like in Endless Eight when they go to get the yukata's she says Koizumi would look good in one but when she looks at him she gives an ugly expression (No such scene in the episode). Also, they always make sure to have her call out his name when trying to get the group's attention, and offering the Takoyaki to him first. Actually, they just make her more considerate in general. They even made a point of her mentioning Yuki's yukata too, when she usually just ignores her in the books.
In the novel she also comments how the pool stinks...where as in Baka tsuki she comments how it smells great.

But that thing with the Yukata is rather amusing, considering that Kyon was about the only person Haruhi knew who she wanted to take over to the new world(which she only wanted to change because he was flirting with someone else) unchanged...and then she's like "you look like shit!".

Hilarious.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2009-06-21 at 18:50.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 18:47   Link #174
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
KyoAni is making Haruhi nicer. We must remember to thank them somehow.

I prefer a less jerky Haruhi myself.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 22:04   Link #175
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
a.f.k. sub of ep 2 is out!

__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 22:49   Link #176
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
More than anything else, I was really surprised in this episode by the undisguised and extremely iconic view of the Kobe waterfront shown during the fireworks show. I mean, they've never really made much of an effort to hide where the series is taking place, but I'm pretty sure it's the first time they've had such an unmistakable shot of a major Japanese city (not far by rail from the characters' hometown of Nishinomiya Anytown, Japan). It breaks the illusion (however flimsy) of the series taking place in a generic "Japanese" location, and brings with it all the built-in assumptions related to Kansai.

Just to prove my point, here's a picture of the real thing (Kobe Harborland ferris wheel just out of frame):
http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/5/54...Port_Night.jpg

EDIT: Link fixed.

Last edited by RandomGuy; 2009-06-21 at 23:08.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 22:58   Link #177
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
not found on server.

Pity, I was interested.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 23:09   Link #178
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Osaka
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
not found on server.

Pity, I was interested.
Sorry about that. Link should work now.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 23:09   Link #179
Tempura
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This really does make a lot of sense. Kyon has always been rather eccentric, despite his insistence that he's normal.
If he's a normal, he would have just run for his life with all these crazy incidents all around him

And besides, what normal people would agree to tie a bunch of fireworks on the butt of his bike?
__________________
Tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 23:56   Link #180
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempura View Post
And besides, what normal people would agree to tie a bunch of fireworks on the butt of his bike?
As I've mentioned above, Ichiro Itano. And mecha fans are thankful that he did.

(Although from what I read, he put the fireworks in front not the butt of his bike.)
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.