AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-22, 18:51   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Denied. Moribito really is all that great and even if you don't think so, the OP has already said he loved it so it's only logical to try and find something else in the same vein.
Old 2009-06-23, 05:54   Link #22
micheut

Quote:
If you tried Mushishi and didn't care for it
I wasn't like that, I liked the first episode. But I longed back to Moribito...
So after a while I'll surely finish Mushishi, it's definately in my street.

I found out there are these books released that continue the story. Just ordered part 1 & 2 from Amazon. Anyone knows if the rest of the parts are going to be translated into English, or maybe even become a serie?

I'll keep you posted about Mushishi
Old 2009-06-23, 06:22   Link #23
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheut View Post
J
The thing with FMA is that the main character is overconfident. Maybe it changes when the series continue but the first thing I saw was that people asked the big dude in the armor if he was the FMA. The real FMA got frustrated and started yelling.
This is also what annoyed me most in Naruto. Especially in Pre Shippuuden.
Actually that's not because of overconfidence. The mistake happens a lot and he gets pissed off about it because people keept calling him short as well and he hates that. Otherwise he's absolutely nothing like Naruto, even from the start.
Old 2009-06-23, 09:03   Link #24
micheut

Quote:
Otherwise he's absolutely nothing like Naruto, even from the start.
Well, I might give it a try afterall.

I'll keep you posted
Old 2009-06-23, 16:04   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I think I'm going to die.
Nothing seem to interest me.
I think you should try watching Monster. It's not what you asked for, and you might find it a bit slow, but it's extremely powerful and very different from what you report having seen.
Old 2009-06-25, 19:06   Link #26
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
How about Basilisk. It's extremely violent.
Old 2009-06-30, 16:19   Link #27
micheut

I've finished Mushishi and Juuni Kokki and absolutely loved it!
Mushishi made me think a lot that's a must for an Anime for me.
Juuni Kokki made me think even more. Especially Sea of the Wind, Shore of the Labyrinth. Because of Moribito and Juuni Kokki I found out that I'm a fool for these stories with a deep band in it. Whenever I think of Sanshi and Taiki I get all emotional and loving it.
Also it seems that a religion and philosophy content is really important for me. Action and Adventure are also important, but less then bonds, philosophy and religion.

So let me redefine my suggestions request:
most important: Bonds, Religion, Philosophy, 'older' main characters.
2nd: Action, Adventure, slight Romance
Absolute not: Ecchi, to much violence, meccha, immature

Quote:
How about Basilisk. It's extremely violent.
Basilisk was really nothing for me. It was too violent to me and I might be wrong since I've only watched episode 1 but it didn't seem to have a story in it at all.

Quote:
I think you should try watching Monste
Watched two episodes and it couldn't touch me that much. The story seems interesting though so I'm going to put it on my watch list for later. I'll let you know when I finished it.

Quote:
you should watch this or that or try this : o)
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I've tried all the suggestions i.e. I watched the first couple of episodes of them. Although some of them will make it to my watch list, it didn't seem to be my type of Anime. So any new suggestions are more then welcome. Even if they don't fit my suggestion request. I'm open for more : o)
Old 2009-06-30, 16:59   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll re-up Natsume Yuujinchou. If you loved Mushishi I can't imagine you won't at least like it.
Old 2009-06-30, 17:08   Link #29
micheut

Quote:
I'll re-up Natsume Yuujinchou
Hehe, forgot to say. I just started watching that one. But I'm halfways allready :s unforunately it's a short one
Old 2009-06-30, 19:13   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Hehe, forgot to say. I just started watching that one. But I'm halfways allready :s unforunately it's a short one
Ah, but there's Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou - technically a sequel but basically a continuation. If you like the first, you'll like the second.
Old 2009-07-05, 18:11   Link #31
wkd

Quote:
Basilisk was really nothing for me. It was too violent to me and I might be wrong since I've only watched episode 1 but it didn't seem to have a story in it at all.
The first episode of Basilisk is probably one of the most violent, fast paced and confusing since it starts with a "tournament" fight, then it shows flashbacks of the clan leaders past and ends with them killing each other. The "main" story starts in episode 2 with their grandchilderen where the pace and violence slow down a bit.

I recommend Cowboy Bebop if you hadn't watched it yet since it really is a classic. It doesn't have a main plot and it mostly focuses on the main characters pasts and their struggle to get by. The show has some of the funniest and tragic episodes I've ever seen. Still I didn't really like the first episode but because of the animes reputation I watched a few more and it soon became one of my favorite shows. It has some violence but not too much (depends on the episode) and all the characters except Ed (which comes in the show later) are adults.

Quote:
Absolute not: Ecchi, to much violence, meccha, immature
I'm no fan of meccha myself but I liked Gundam 00. It's one of those shows that starts quite weak but really improves along the way. While the story seems ridiculous (trying to end all war by fighting absolutly everyone) the show does a great job developing it. The characters are dull at first but when their pasts are revealed they become alot more interesting (especially Setsuna). Most of the characters are about 20 years old. Also the music is great, 2nd opening theme Ash like snow is the best song I've heard in an anime.
Old 2009-07-14, 05:32   Link #32
micheut

Quote:
The "main" story starts in episode 2 with their grandchilderen where the pace and violence slow down a bit.
I guess youre right. Im at episode 7 atm and there seems to be a story in it after all. It even gave me some Ninja Scroll flashbacks. Allthough Im nog sure if its because of the story or because of the breasts : o)

Cowboy Bebop is an oldtimer indeed. Watched it in my first phase of animemadness, as well as the gundam series.

Allthough I'm enjoying Basilisk atm, I still haven't found something memorable as Juuni and Moribito. I think I should've watched those two at my 80th birthday - save the best for last :s
Old 2009-07-14, 06:05   Link #33
Shadow Kira01

Generally, you are looking for seinen animes that feature shounen elements yet no ecchi, that's pretty rare..

Have you watched these yet?

Blassreiter
Claymore (last few episodes have ecchi element)
Devil May Cry
Nabari no Ou (from Square-Enix, similar to Naruto Shippuuden and fits the description best but romance theme is BL)
Persona -trinity soul-
Sengoku Basara
Tokyo Majin Gakuen
Trinity Blood
Witch Hunter Robin
Old 2009-07-14, 06:13   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Also it seems that a religion and philosophy content is really important for me. Action and Adventure are also important, but less then bonds, philosophy and religion.

So let me redefine my suggestions request:
most important: Bonds, Religion, Philosophy, 'older' main characters.
If you're willing to make an exception for "older" main characters, I recommend Kemono no Souja Erin. It's based on a novel by the same author of Seirei no Moribito and deals with a variety of issues in the background, particularly ethics and politics. The primary story, though, is about a highly gifted girl (she starts the series at 10 years of age, and is currently 14) who grows up to be a leading naturalist, and whose ideas are likely to shake the fundamental beliefs of an entire kingdom to its core.

The art style and animation suggests that the show is aimed at a far younger audience, but don't let that fool you — the story deals with issues that adults would be more than familiar with, particularly given our present geopolitical contexts (science vs religion, clash of civilisations, etc.). And, oh, the show starts very slowly, but it takes a shocking turn in Episode 7, so stay patient till at least that long before you decide whether to keep following the show (it's an on-going series, currently up to Episode 27 out of 50).
Old 2010-01-13, 18:20   Link #35
micheut

Well here's a friendly bump again after half a year.
I seriously watched or partly watched all the Anime suggested in this thread but this large gap situated in the middle of my heart is not willing to narrow. I am in need of good Anime, my addiction is taking the upper hand : o)

As a memory refreshment: the title was not correct anymore i.e. Fantasy Action seems not so important anymore. I learned to like heavy character development and drama more than the action. Though a story based in a fantasy world is what I like most.

So my top list atm looks like this (in no particular order):
Juuni Kokki
Seirei no Moribito
Haibane Remnei
Kemono no Souja Erin
Elfen Lied
Ah! My Goddess (though this one should not be in the list of my search for similar Anime. I just loved it)

I also enjoyed, but not loved like the above:
Mushishi
Basilisk
Claymore
Valkyria Chronicles

I did not enjoy:
Spice and Wolf
Devil may Cry
all the vampirish series
Fullmetal XXX

ATM I'm watching:
Code Geass
Death Note

Did I miss a show in the Haibane Juuni Moribito (that would be my new sentence) style? Are there any new shows running that I don't know of?

Then my last request : o) If you react to this post could you be so kind to separate your post in two. One would be the solution for my problem and the other would be a small top three list. Maybe another genre would be interesting as well.
Old 2010-01-13, 20:51   Link #36
God of Peace

I think I know what you are looking for. Try Spice and Wolf . It has drama, character development and is fantasy-ish (in a mythical medieval universe with a wolf/woman). It is calm (most of the time) and slow. But I think you will like it. It also has hints of romance.

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-01-13, 22:19   Link #37
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
I did not enjoy:
Spice and Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Peace View Post
I think I know what you are looking for. Try Spice and Wolf .
Does...not...compute.

Anyway, I have a few that might interest you, since you say the fantasy/action isn't as important as being a character drama. I also think they go along with many of the shows you listed as enjoying in tone and themes, though they are both science fiction.

Planetes is set in a realistic near future, where man has expanded to living in Earth orbit and on the moon. The main characters are a young woman who ends up working on a space station as a debris hauler and the man who ends up being her partner. It is very much a character-driven show.

Also, Dennou Coil is a very mature show about kids in a world where technology has advanced so that glasses function in a way that allows interaction with a virtual world overlaying the real world. It features a very well-written interconnected plot that unravels as the show goes on.

Oh, and for the other request I don't have a top three, but you can see my favorites listed in my profile.
Old 2010-01-14, 00:13   Link #38
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Arslan Senki. It's an older anime which may make it hard to get hold of, but it sounds like something you might enjoy. Also, maybe Gensomaden Sayuki?
Old 2010-01-14, 05:27   Link #39
micheut

Quote:
Try Spice and Wolf
hehe, as Ansalem allready pointed out, I really didn't like this series. Can't really point out why actually. Maybe because I dislike Holo's personality.

Quote:
Planetes & Dennou Coil
These actually look pretty good to me. I never gave scifi a good try actually. Probably because I associate it a bit to much with Gundam, which I don't like that much.

Quote:
Arslan Senki
This one actually does seem a bit similar in style to Juuni Kokki! Excited : o)

Quote:
Gensomaden Sayuki
I dunno what to think of it, but will give it a try for sure. When I first watched Juuni Kokki I didn't know what to think of it as well. After the frist episode I even hated it because of the annoying voices of the schoolgirls. Gave me headaches.

On my work now, will watch some tonight, I'll keep yous posted what I think of it. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 2010-01-14, 08:23   Link #40
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
These actually look pretty good to me. I never gave scifi a good try actually. Probably because I associate it a bit to much with Gundam, which I don't like that much.
I recommend adding Noein to that list, then. It exploits some conundrums in quantum theory to develop a highly entertaining story with some remarkable animations. They use a bit too much 3D modeling for my taste, but some of the fighting scenes, like the one in episode twelve, are among the best I've seen in anime. The character development is excellent as well.

Noein is a great deal, too. The entire 26-episode series costs just $20 at RightStuf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheut
I learned to like heavy character development and drama more than the action.
Give Kure-nai a try. It has character development, drama, and action along with a dose of comedy.

Another option might be Saiunkoku Monogatari, especially since you've discovered you have a taste for Asian imperial dramas. (It has more comedy than either Junni Kokuki or Moribito, but there's a lot of drama and characterization as well.) You might like Kemono no Souja Erin as well. It's based on another light novel by the author of Moribito.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-01-14 at 08:35.
Closed Thread