AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-22, 00:24   Link #1
cheese4u
da big boss

Romance with a Tsundere

Anyone know of a good romance anime with a tsundere. Preferably a tsundere in the lead role, but she doesn't neccesarily have to be.

Some examples:

Toradora
Zero no Tsukaima
Tonagura
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps

Last edited by cheese4u; 2009-06-22 at 01:12.
Old 2009-06-22, 00:34   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Gunparade March
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
Shakugan no Shana
Old 2009-06-22, 00:38   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

After reading your example in the opening post, I believe the thread title for your thread is incomplete. It should read, "Romance with a Tsundere who needs to kick hero in the crotch to express her affection."

On that note, may I suggest a second viewing of Zero no Tsukaima?

Other than that, you are looking for any series where the loli is voiced by Kugimiya Rie. You can do a cross reference check for Kugimiya Rie's role in various series. I suggest ANN for look-up.
Old 2009-06-22, 01:01   Link #4
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
After reading your example in the opening post, I believe the thread title for your thread is incomplete. It should read, "Romance with a Tsundere who needs to kick hero in the crotch to express her affection."

On that note, may I suggest a second viewing of Zero no Tsukaima?

Other than that, you are looking for any series where the loli is voiced by Kugimiya Rie. You can do a cross reference check for Kugimiya Rie's role in various series. I suggest ANN for look-up.
Though I enjoy her works, I was hoping to go in a different direction with older or at least older looking female leads. I added Tonagura to the first post as an example.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-06-22, 01:49   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Romance theme with Tsundere female usually don't make for good storyline. I've watched a plenty of those, however, be warned that not all of them may meet your expectation in regards to the story and they are generally pretty ecchi.

- Amaenaideyo - Ecchi galore. The female lead can be considered tsundere. She is a mikoo by the way.

- DNA^2 (DNA square)... I can't say anymore without revealing something about the plot.

- Dokuro-chan - She is a tsundere. She is also a tenshi with her halo intact who swings a thorny iron club as her weapon of choice.

- Dual - It features on of my very few favorite tsundere. Tsundere are so hard to like.

- Green Green - Be warned it has a fat guy who is raped by bear. The other guy gets off eating rice in front kawaii imouto type girls. Yes, it also has a tsundere.

- Girl's Bravo - The osananjimi is a big breasted tsundere. She isn't the main female lead however.

- Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - This six episode OVA features a very good story about a tsundere who is hopelessly in love and equally clumsy.

- Iketeru Futari - If you can find this series, it has pretty decent story for gigles. Got a tsundere who has fallen for the ecchi male lead. Don't try to make sense of it.

- Inukami - Dog girl who is actually a fox girl that is violent and doesn't mind kicking people in the crotch. Not literally, but the art of misery is well displayed through the overbearing male lead who is always looking for his harem. Unfortunately, he can hardly ever keep his clothes on. Mind you, it's not always his fault.

- Kannagi - A very fun show. The tsundere girl is a goddess who used to live in a particular tree. One day that stump of that tree was used to make a sculpture. Our tsundere girl explodes out of it to the utter shock of our male lead.

- Love Hina - I don't want to reminisce, so I won't attempt any summary. It features a tsundere of the other kind.

I'll stop here and give you the opportunity to sort through what you've already watched and what may have peeked your interest. I'll also ditto the couple of recommendation by Jedinat: Gunparade March and Tsukiyomi Moon Phase. Both of those series are very well done story wise.
Old 2009-06-22, 01:57   Link #6
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
Nodame Cantabile, with Chiaki a.k.a. Tsundereman!
GYROZETTER
Old 2009-06-22, 02:41   Link #7
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka

Wasn't too bad I thought.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-06-22, 16:27   Link #8
mitsuganae

There's always Ginban Kaleidoscope -- though it seems like it's an acquired taste.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:47   Link #9
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
There's always Ginban Kaleidoscope -- though it seems like it's an acquired taste.
Bugger, how could I forget about Tazusa.

Old 2009-06-22, 19:34   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Geez.... there are a lot of them.

You might want to check out some of the older romances with a Tsundere as they aren't as cliche.

Kimagure Orange Road has one of the most famous lead Tsundere in a Romance. More mature too, less childishness.

If you want an even more mature Tsundere romance I'd suggest Maison Ikkoku. Kyoko is a 22 year-old widow, and a tsundere, no matter how hard she tries to hide it, (she actually does a pretty good job of controlling her temper).

Of course, there are always the other Takahashi works, including Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. She sure loves the Tsundere character type.

Love Hina of course... although it really is a remake of Maison Ikkoku, and Maison is better and much more mature.

You might try the currently airing Cross Game, the romance has yet to become a major part of the show, but I'm told it will be- the author just likes to develop his romance more slowly and subtly.

Other possibilities (with varying levels of romance) include:

Hayate The Combat Butler (Two Tsunderes in this one, Nagi and Hinagiku are both Tsunderes)
Shakugan no Shana
Full Metal Panic

You might also try this webpage on Tsunderes for more ideas.
Old 2009-06-22, 21:48   Link #11
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
probably two of the better ones going around
Full Metal Panic
Skakugan No Shana
Old 2009-06-22, 22:44   Link #12
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Geez.... there are a lot of them.

You might want to check out some of the older romances with a Tsundere as they aren't as cliche.

Kimagure Orange Road has one of the most famous lead Tsundere in a Romance. More mature too, less childishness.

If you want an even more mature Tsundere romance I'd suggest Maison Ikkoku. Kyoko is a 22 year-old widow, and a tsundere, no matter how hard she tries to hide it, (she actually does a pretty good job of controlling her temper).

Of course, there are always the other Takahashi works, including Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha. She sure loves the Tsundere character type.

Love Hina of course... although it really is a remake of Maison Ikkoku, and Maison is better and much more mature.

You might try the currently airing Cross Game, the romance has yet to become a major part of the show, but I'm told it will be- the author just likes to develop his romance more slowly and subtly.

Other possibilities (with varying levels of romance) include:

Hayate The Combat Butler (Two Tsunderes in this one, Nagi and Hinagiku are both Tsunderes)
Shakugan no Shana
Full Metal Panic

You might also try this webpage on Tsunderes for more ideas.

Nice suggestions, I like that little Tsundere description page its pretty cool. Now about Maison Ikkoku, I heard that it's pretty slow as far as romantic development is concerned, and that concerns me a little considering how many episodes it has. Is the slowness going to be a major problem, because I have a tendency of losing interest in animes if nothing happens in a long while.
Old 2009-06-23, 02:11   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll recommend Full Metal Panic!
Old 2009-06-23, 02:36   Link #14
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'll recommend Full Metal Panic!
Yes but mostly the first season and Fumoffu. The Second Raid is a lot more serious.

Old 2009-06-23, 08:45   Link #15
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Nice suggestions, I like that little Tsundere description page its pretty cool. Now about Maison Ikkoku, I heard that it's pretty slow as far as romantic development is concerned, and that concerns me a little considering how many episodes it has. Is the slowness going to be a major problem, because I have a tendency of losing interest in animes if nothing happens in a long while.
Hmmm... this is a good question.

The first time I watched it, until the start of the second season, I couldn't really understand why I liked it so much. On the surface it seemed to be the normal romantic comedy- not bad, but I couldn't understand why it felt so special.

I think it was somewhere around episode 26 that it finally clicked for me. Most romantic comedy series have a status quo, and everything always returns to the status quo by the end of an episode (or two if it's a multi-part). Around the start of season 2 I suddenly realized while that appeared to be happening, in truth the situation kept changing. Mainly because the characters- particularly Godai the male lead- were changing as a year went by.

Not only that, but looking back over the first season I suddenly realized that there had been a lot of small changes. The sudden character development wasn't sudden at all- it flowed naturally from events that had occurred all throughout the first season, but whose significance had been obscured by the typical romantic comedy sit-com events. These changes and developments only accelerated with each season.

At the start of season 1, Godai is a 19 year-old Ronin, who is deeply attracted to Kyoko, but focused a little too much on how cute her butt is rather than who she is. Naturally this is not the type of guy a 22 year old widow tsundere is going to be interested in- if anything she feels like more of a big sister looking out for her idiot younger brother.

Fast forward a year, and Godai is now a 20 year-old entering college who has come to realize that Kyoko's dead husband is an important part of her life, and that as much as he likes her, he can't expect her to just forget her dead husband and run off with him. He cares about how she feels now. Now he's the type of guy who Kyoko finds as an interesting friend, as he goes to college, an experience she never had, and as a young person her age, when most of her social circle are far older than her.

That change didn't happen overnight, it happened slowly over each episode. Once I realized that was happening, I started seeing these little character developments more often. So while other people do sometimes complain about how little is happening- I saw that there was a lot happening under the surface, and it was quite enjoyable for me.

So once the final season came along and all these issues started to finally boil over and the drama really picks up- it wasn't coming out of nowhere. It made sense that as Godai approached graduation that he and Kyoko (and the other participants in their little Love Dodecahedron) could no longer stay in relationship limbo where nothing changes. Godai is now eligible for a real marriage, with a career. Kyoko is approaching her probable age limit for marrying again.

Officially nothing had changed since episode 1- because most of the character didn't want to admit that there had been changes because- well, that would mean things would change, and change is scary. But it had reached a point where all the changes that had happened in how they interacted in reality could no longer fit with the official "we're just manager and tenant" story. And these changes were events that you could look back and say "yeah, that happened there" so they weren't out of place the way it seems it is in a lot of romance comedies that finally come to an end.

I guess what I'm trying to say with all of this is that yes, Maison Ikkoku has a slow pace- because in real life, building a lasting romance is a slow thing- but it is planned. Maison Ikkoku knows where it is going, and slowly keeps progressing in that direction. The ending wouldn't have been nearly as moving or amazing without that slow steady build up. (And trust me, I was spoiled about the ending- and I was still blown away by it- best romantic ending ever).

The slowness of other romantic comedies bother me because they seem to have no direction- no plan other than to keep the romantic sit-com events happening and then reverting back to status quo so as to keep the show going as long as possible- until finally the audience is exhausted and they decide to wrap it all up.

So... I guess it depends on you. Do you think you can accept a slow moving story if you know it's actually going somewhere and that it will be worth it in the end?

I promise, the ending will not disappoint you.
Old 2009-06-24, 02:17   Link #16
acr429

WOW
I can't believe no one mention Suzuka can't get any more tsunderes then her
and I'll second Full Metal Panic best series I have seen.
Old 2009-06-24, 02:38   Link #17
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr429 View Post
WOW
I can't believe no one mention Suzuka can't get any more tsunderes then her
and I'll second Full Metal Panic best series I have seen.
Because Suzuka is barely romance at all..

And also, the anime should be renamed "Yamato", because you'd realise a huge portion of the screentime is about Yamato and not Suzuka. They've lacked so much focus (from the start), when everything could have been done in 13 episodes, the rest are waste of time and repetitive.

The beginning and end of the series don't make alot difference to me.

Rosario + Vampire[Mizore].Spice and Wolf[Horo].
Hayate no Gotoku![Hinagiku].Hayate no Gotoku![Maria]
Old 2009-06-24, 15:06   Link #18
Sasano

Tenshi na Konamaiki - Considering the circumstances in the plot you can't get more Tsundere than this...ONLY problem is that its kinda hard to get used the animation, but after that its pretty good.All though her Tsundere moments are usually used for comical purposes, main male lead reminds me of Harima as well(silly delinquent)

It does have romance,plot & character development, but I would personally say the Anime is more so about the comedy.
Old 2009-06-24, 15:39   Link #19
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

evagelion - Asuka ftw
Old 2009-06-25, 08:13   Link #20
Esyrja

One that is a bit less known from what I've seen, but which actually has a rather high quality character development for this type of show is: Kaze no Stigma.

The plot sounds a bit silly I know, but it's actually one of my favorites, the animation quality isn't the highest but in my opinion it captures the whole idea of tsundere right, as in someone who has trouble being honest rather than just the slapstick humor that usually is passed off as tsundere.
Closed Thread