AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-26, 19:55   Link #181
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I'm sure it was the same with John Lennon.
Elvis would be a better comparison. Genius, excessive living, and sadly, self-destructive behavior.

"The candle that burns twice as brite burns half as long."
Old 2009-06-26, 20:02   Link #182
othera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
not as sad as the Crocodile Hunter's death, but still
Saddest. Day. Ever.

Everyone dies sometime, And it's always sad.. Wasn't really a fan but gotta say Michael was a pretty cool singer
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 20:04   Link #183
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Elvis would be a better comparison. Genius, excessive living, and sadly, self-destructive behavior.
Oh, I was referring to the post-death mourning process by fans comparision of Jackson and Lennon, not their lifestyles. My bad.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 20:06   Link #184
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Lennon and Jackson went "suddenly", hence the similar outpour of disbelief.
Old 2009-06-26, 20:06   Link #185
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
He's last album was actually Invincible in 2001, and had that movie-like music video for "You Rock My World" with Chris Tucker, Michael Madsen, and Marlon Brando. Here it is:

What's funny is that it was considered one of his least popular albums (it was considered too long), yet it still went double platinum with 10 million copies sold.
Oh gosh yeah, thanks for that, it was the similar vibe as to now
"Michael Jackson, trying to make a comeback after being away so long, has he lost his magic, etc etc"
So that makes it 8 years or so for an official release then
By then Britney and the rest had popped about, so that generation shift in pop music had already begun...
If 8 years for his last album, was it his official concerts that they were counting 10+ years then?

And yeah his sales weren't as good as "thriller" or the other albums, but it's as one BBC correspondent said:
Music Industry is so fragmented now, people pirate or copy things from the internet, there'll never be a sale as high as thriller when we only had LP's and cassettes to go by.

Ironically the link about Japan suddenly buying his stuff yesterday upon news means that like Tupac and other late artists, his stuff will sell like hotcakes for a long long while.

I liked that video with Chris Tucker though, wasn't quite the same as "Smooth criminal" with the gangs and stuff, but just as fun <3

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-06-26 at 21:48.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 20:29   Link #186
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Oh, I was referring to the post-death mourning process by fans comparision of Jackson and Lennon, not their lifestyles. My bad.
Oh, sorry... I'm probably the one who misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan
Lennon and Jackson went "suddenly", hence the similar outpour of disbelief.
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news..._of_rock.shtml

*just posting the first thing that comes up with an "Elvis/death/shocking" search*

I clearly remember the day Elvis died. I heard about it from a taxi driver after getting picked up at Sea-Tac airport. It was totally unbelievable and shocking. I thought he was joking.
Old 2009-06-26, 20:36   Link #187
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Actually, I wasn't that surprised after I sat down and thought about it. He is 50, and been in decline musically for more than a decade. Health-wise, he has never been the most robust of people, and the stress caused by his troubles and the upcoming concerts just nailed it, it seems.

Elvis had been in decline for some time before his death, and he drank. Heavily, if my memory serves me.
Old 2009-06-26, 21:57   Link #188
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I have just calmed down a little after some sleep, eyes stil sore from crying alot last night. Lighting some candles for Mike while playing his songs. Half way around the globe there are people thinking of him.
Old 2009-06-26, 22:43   Link #189
BanishingBook

Quote:
There are two misconceptions here. The first is that Free Speech means more than it does. If we're talking about the American version, free speech only means that the government cannot impose restrictions on what people say. Outside of the government, organizations are free to impose whatever restrictions they please. At AnimeSuki, this would be what's laid out in the Forum Rules. The other is the question of responsible speech: while it might not be the most polite thing in the world to speak ill of the dead, it's unfair to simply disallow everyone from doing so. However, that kind of action can be assured of drawing a backlash, so don't be surprised if it does so. If this becomes too much of a problem, please click on the "Report Post" button.
I agree, but what he did was not right. Now when unanimously people around the world agree that when and where a wrong is wrong, I shouldn't be waiting for that backlash to his conscience. Yes, by passivity, it is allowing no will to do good.

But if he should say something that leans on that subject - Michael's controversies - I ought he had shown moderation in his speech, so that it can be obvious to discern his points.

Sorry for the trouble sir. Just to regulate the behavior here. And thanks for sharing thoughts too.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 22:48   Link #190
Hejin
Discoholic

Send a message via MSN to Hejin
It's a wierd thought, but I imagine the guy moonwalking his way to musical heaven, where other greats like Bob Marley, Elvis and John Lennon wait for him.

I can imagine he looks just like he did in Thriller. Red jacket and everything.
Old 2009-06-26, 23:08   Link #191
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejin View Post
It's a wierd thought, but I imagine the guy moonwalking his way to musical heaven, where other greats like Bob Marley, Elvis and John Lennon wait for him.
Give me five Elvis!!
On the side Hendrix!!
Up High Lenon!!
Down Low Marley.... too slow!!

Wow, gotta work on the fanart of the Angels of Music now!!

Mr Jackson in center, of course.

Last edited by Gordy Lechance; 2009-06-26 at 23:39.
Gordy Lechance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:01   Link #192
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

MJ was most likely the "Last Superstar".

Diversification of interests in entertainment has progressed so much in the past few decades, the old fashioned "Superstar" recognized by the vast majority has become nigh-impossible to achieve.
Old 2009-06-27, 00:16   Link #193
BanishingBook

^ - I concur.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 01:21   Link #194
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's something a friend of mine pointed out.
"Try wrapping your brain around the idea that Keith Richards was born before Michael Jackson and is still around post-Michael."

My riposte was that "Keith Richards has always been one of the undead... whereas Michael only played one in a video".

(its always been a "running gag" that Richards actually died in the 1960s but was too stoned to notice... and his appearance only seems to add weight to the joke)

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-27 at 01:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 01:23   Link #195
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh, him of Rolling Stones fame. Undead is the right word, alright.
Old 2009-06-27, 05:20   Link #196
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
What's funny is that it was considered one of his least popular albums (it was considered too long), yet it still went double platinum with 10 million copies sold.
Well you've got to realize that a massive flop for Michael Jackson is like 1 million copies sold. That's the level of stardom he had.
Old 2009-06-27, 05:24   Link #197
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejin View Post
It's a wierd thought, but I imagine the guy moonwalking his way to musical heaven, where other greats like Bob Marley, Elvis and John Lennon, Freddy Mercury wait for him.

I can imagine he looks just like he did in Thriller. Red jacket and everything.
Fixed. 8)

And yeah, Michael was one in a billion. When you say pop-music, it is like saying Michael and all the others. He was simply the best in whatever he was doing. One man's show.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 05:55   Link #198
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
MJ on himself~

Audio slideshow: Michael Jackson - man and music
Fans and contemporaries have been paying tribute to the king of pop - who has died at the age of 50. But what did Michael Jackson think of his own life and career?

Here - with the help of his music, and archive images from the days of the Jackson Five to the present - he reflects on his own vulnerabilities.

Link

As for other news surrounding him:
MJ BBC Homepage

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 05:55   Link #199
Samari
World's Greatest

Michael Jackson was the best. Now excuse me while I go listen to "Human Nature" and "Beat It".

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2009-06-27 at 06:18.
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 07:34   Link #200
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I wonder who will be the next artist that will be like him. Well known, multi-talented and an electrifying performer.

There will be another probably, but there is only "ONE MICHEAL JACKSON".

One of the best Sega games ever! Hard but awesome.

Tags
music