AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Kyou Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 67 33.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 16.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 44 22.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 16.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 6.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 14:12   Link #21
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Rushed, that's for sure.. But the ending minutes were heartwarming
Old 2009-07-01, 14:16   Link #22
littlegal100

It was an enjoyable episode. Although like what pretty much everyone stated this episode felt way too rushed, to the point that it felt awkward to watch the entire episode.

To be honest they didn't do Kyou's arc any justice by condensing it into 1 episode.

7/10
Old 2009-07-01, 14:20   Link #23
Justin Kim
*Artist

It was an ok episode, but it should have been a double-episode feature. We can't help it though; this episode was released with the DVD, so I do not think it was aired.
Old 2009-07-01, 14:24   Link #24
mpt37

Not as good as the Tomoyo special as a stand alone episode, but still good. I never played the game but it looked like they included all the import scenes. However, the end scene with Kyou/Tomoya in the classroom kinda bugs me.

I'd read that Kyou cuts her hair at the end and Tomoya thinks he's talking to Ryou when he breaks up with her, but that scene came from no where. One second it looks like Tomoya is talking to himself then in the next shot Kyou is just standing there. Does that happen in the game or did they just have to cut it short because of the length?

Lastly, what does Kyoani have against kiss scenes. Why do they have to cut away every time it's about to happen? It seems like they absolutely refuse to animate that actual kiss it self.

Spoiler for other Kyoani animes:
Old 2009-07-01, 14:28   Link #25
Justin Kim
*Artist

mpt37, this probably was the only episode in the entire series to ever have such a scene. They don't really cut it, but rather I think that the kiss is not what matters, but the events that lead up towards the scene. I mean if you look at the environment and the conditions for each of the scenes; they are pretty climatic. Kyo probably does this to add more of the "bitter happy ending" kind of feeling. Romance does not always have to be expressed with kissing, it can simply be hugging or spending time with the person you love. (Coming to a mutual understanding, etc.).
Old 2009-07-01, 14:36   Link #26
mpt37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
mpt37, this probably was the only episode in the entire series to ever have such a scene. They don't really cut it, but rather I think that the kiss is not what matters, but the events that lead up towards the scene. I mean if you look at the environment and the conditions for each of the scenes; they are pretty climatic. Kyo probably does this to add more of the "bitter happy ending" kind of feeling. Romance does not always have to be expressed with kissing, it can simply be hugging or spending time with the person you love. (Coming to a mutual understanding, etc.).
I know what you mean, they did a great job on the scenes leading up the kiss (in this episode and their other animes). I think my post came out wrong, I wasn't trying to say that just because there's no kiss scene there's no romance, it just bugs me that Kyoani doesn't animate the kiss.

On another note, Kotomi/Nagisa?

Spoiler for pic:
Old 2009-07-01, 14:57   Link #27
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post

On another note, Kotomi/Nagisa?

Spoiler for pic:
Oh dang, someone is paying close attention. I was thinking the other girls were/had to have appeared somewhere in the episode. Guess you found some.
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
Old 2009-07-01, 15:06   Link #28
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Toki o Kizamu Uta and I almost faint from how much I miss this show.

So what do we have here? Moe spam? Okay.
Emo spam? I didn't recall the VNs rammed all the emoness at us at once.

It could be the time limitations though, oh well.

Youhei is surely cool, withstanding Kyou at such dangerously close range.
Not to mention words of wisdom.

No matter how rushed this has became, it did capture the arc's meaning.
An incoming pain, only avoidable by sacrificing other's happiness.
They knew it's coming, yet someone had to stay and take the pain, else everyone will have to suffer.
In the process of growing up, I guess everyone hurt other people...
Youhei's words was pretty clear, they saved the day.

And I don't care what you all think. Ryou is made of pure honey. Or sugar. Whichever is sweeter.

Oh and where's Torch?

Old 2009-07-01, 17:13   Link #29
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well...after watching the subs I feel the whole OVA better. Kyou not as much emo and weak in this episode as I thought without the subs. She luckily still remains the Kyou from the VN. To a watcher who didn't played the game(or Kyou route) it feels more rushed than for me, but oh well. Other shows making a whole season from a plot like that(or worse)!
The only things I missed from the OVA(not including the wish for another 22 minutes to make the story less rushed):
Spoiler for VN related spoilers...not really dangerous ones:
Old 2009-07-01, 17:26   Link #30
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

The biggest problem I have with this episode is that it robbed Kyou of her energy, robbed Sunohara of his slyness, took several points from the VN as if in a random fashion (I would imagine so for those who never played the VN), cutting all the loose ends and then combine them into an OVA.

As for other girls appearing, well, in other VN routes, other girls do appear. But for some reason, when the OVAs were made, it would as if all the other girls disappeared.

- - - - -

Hmm, I somehow felt as if Tomoyo and Nagisa are like opposite faces on the same coin...

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 2009-07-01, 17:33   Link #31
ISighZ
Oo Hi

Send a message via AIM to ISighZ
I was expecting more...but o well.
I prefer Kyou with her long hair. She look A lot better with long hair!
B: You don't understand Life.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:35   Link #32
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
"its because I love you, okazaki"

haha so sweet and heart felt nyoro~

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
Old 2009-07-01, 17:48   Link #33
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISighZ View Post
I prefer Kyou with her long hair. She look A lot better with long hair!
Thats a problem there. A lot of non-VN players will be confused as to why Kyou cut her hair short. Then there is the last scene which I always had problem with, where Kyou asked if it is alright for Tomoya to pick her. This is where Kyou points were deducted for me. For crying out loud, have some bloody confidence in yourself. You are the class president, he is the delinquent, he should be asking if it is alright for you to stay with him not the other way around!

And don't be fooled by the picnic scene, Ryou can't cook.

Oh, did anyone notice what appears to be Tomoyo?

- Tak (This is giving me so much MF vibes its not funny)

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by Tak; 2009-07-01 at 18:20.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:08   Link #34
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

After watching is OAV, I completely agree with how rushed this episode felt. This episode would have benefited from having at least 15-20 more minutes. What was missing is the whole build up and development that was needed between the 3 but I guess we just have to settle for what we got.

For the Kyou fans, I think this should make everyone happy, I still felt that it was a good episode despite it's flaws in how much time should have been used. All in all, this completes one of the best overall series I've ever watched and I don't know if any other anime will be able to top this series on my list.

Even so, I just wish they gave us 1 more episode that covers the life of the Okazaki's (Tomoya, Nagisa and Ushio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak (This is giving me so much MF vibes its not funny)
Hmmm...how so?

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-01, 19:08   Link #35
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

I dunno, I like to think Kyou questioning herself is her true nature, something she can only express when she's around Tomoya.

That point is also explored a little in the short story written about her as well (forgive me, I forgot the title of the light novel).
Old 2009-07-01, 19:33   Link #36
Texas84
よろしく

Can't help it, I always get choked up when the OP plays. Plus it was just fun to be with the old gang again. And I am a long hair fan, but in this case, short hair is a win! So, what happened to Planetarian?!?!?
Old 2009-07-01, 20:45   Link #37
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
People, don't feed the troll, please.

The OVA was... okay, I guess. My opinion of Kyou was pretty much set in stone the moment I finished her route in the VN (which is to say I didn't like her for being such a two-faced cow), and this extra did in no way change that view.

As for all the PDA, do recall that, of all the routes in the CLANNAD VN, Kyou's was the most Romance-centric. Kind of makes me sad though that KyoAni never showed us those kinds of interactions between Tomoya and Nagisa in the actual series, ESPECIALLY since, y'know, they're the married couple and all.
Old 2009-07-01, 20:50   Link #38
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
As for all the PDA, do recall that, of all the routes in the CLANNAD VN, Kyou's was the most Romance-centric. Kind of makes me sad though that KyoAni never showed us those kinds of interactions between Tomoya and Nagisa in the actual series, ESPECIALLY since, y'know, they're the married couple and all.
In the game, there wasn't much intimate scenes involving Nagisa and Tomoya as well. Call it a cultural scene. Understanding between each other is more important than constant romantic actions, at least that is the general point of view in Japan. That, and imo, some characters are for hugs & kisses, while others aren't, Nagisa is one of the latter. I am really fine the way they set her up. In fact, I'd feel a bit uneasy if Nagisa was portrayed otherwise.

On a side note, much like Clannad After, Tomoya and Tomoyo were also married in Tomoyo After. But they go beyond just kissing... see...

- Tak

Old 2009-07-01, 22:02   Link #39
kyosak
poo

Yup, just as expected the whole episode felt so rushed and awkward... All the major scenes just got thrown out one after another and it basically skipped all the character development/Tomoya's narrative in between. Things like the confession scene were so abrupt that I don't think anyone can feel any emotion watching it, lol. IMO, the episode failed to convince the audience that Tomoya was meant to choose Kyou... Watching this episode felt like demanding a convincing story from a 5 page long picture book.

I wish I hadn't wasted my life waiting for this, lol. I think a 40 minute OVA would have done the arc much justice, but nope. Kyou arc deserved much more than what we got!
Old 2009-07-01, 22:57   Link #40
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's not a bad episode by itself, though as a part of Clannad it annoys me by sorta degenerating into the typical romance stuff that the show had largely avoided. The indecisive male lead and vague romantic melodrama moments are here >.< So he's an asshole to Ryou, and it's ok to be with his sister then. Yes, there was some vague talk about chasing your true feelings, but that just flew over my head. What?? Do they really hate Ryou that much?

The humor was nonexistent and everything was very rushed, but that's to be expected in such a short time. And like in the Tomoyo one, they kept the same OP which irked the hell out of me. I love both openings, but they probaly would have done better just not to have any. But, at least they didn't use Torch lol.

I also understand this is an alternate world, but Kyou seems unusually pathetic and desperate; she was almost insufferable til almost the end. Angsty, insecure, violent? Yes. But emo Kyou? One scene looked like she was about to go yandere and I thought I accidentally stumbled upon a nice boat, which would be uhh... diffrent. Tomoya's just kinda there. At least Ryou has more of a personality and seems the most sympathetic here. With this kind of story it may have been better off as a Ryou OVA, but hey it can't just be all about what I want. It was the same problem with the Tomoyo OVA. While I liked that one, I just got the feeling that it really wasn't unique to the series and had you made an original OVA with completely new characters, you'd have similar results. This is more true with this OVA. The characters are there in name only, and thus it's harder to care about this.

That being said, it's not all bad. The scene with short haired Kyou was well done and I knew right away why she did it even if I never played the game. And oh, that's like the first kiss in this series. It had a great romantic mood to it-- there was some real Clannad magic there. The last part was entertaining and I felt help saved the OVA for me. Maybe.

All and all, it's a nice little brief what if sequence. I didn't really expect too much, but it did its work as a cliffnotes version. I'd like a better way to send off this series though. If this had been in between School Life and After Story, it would have fit better though. 6/10

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-07-01 at 23:28.
Closed Thread