AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.60%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 84 29.17%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-03, 14:13   Link #301
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Agreed.
*facepalm

Apparently, further discussion is pointless as far as I'm concerned, therefore I withdraw to the world of sanity.
__________________
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 14:19   Link #302
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Sanity is for the weak!!

But honestly, I actually enjoy the idea of watching this again, it will wear rather thin on me if there is another one after next week though, unless the Animation team really works their rears off.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/rZD75r9.jpg
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 14:23   Link #303
Subarunyon
Yui is mai waifu <3
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I just thought of the following. If Ep 4 was shown before Ep 3, it will be a freaking brilliant move because of the better execution in Ep 3.

Instead we got the reverse and we (at least I) felt shortchanged.

Try watching Ep 4 first then Ep 3.
I actually did this out of fansub number confusion. Watched ep "14" then ep "3". I downloaded both at the same time thought 14 was the same as 3. 14 finished downloading first so I watched that version first. Glad I kept that bittorent window open, lol. I agree that the second one is better executed, and with the extra yuki scenes in "2" it was actually better to watch "2" last (and maybe switch the mask scenes since her actually wearing shows a bit more of an effort from Yuki).

It would probably be better for us viewers if they show it this way, although Maybe to better experience what yuki is feeling, the order we have is fine, since some of the loop must have been more interesting / intense than others for Yuki.... if Yuki does find anything intense at all.

I'm on the "this is brilliant" side of the fence. Watching the third repetition was similar to the "wow, that's amazing" feel I got from realizing what episode one of first season was. It didn't feel wasted at all. I'm giving this 15500/10
Subarunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 14:38   Link #304
snapte
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I completely agree. Episode 3 was freaking awesome. Episode 4 should've been put before episode 3, if at all. It was a complete rehash ><
snapte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 14:55   Link #305
Nikkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
My reaction

Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 15:22   Link #306
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
It would suprise me but I wonder if the next episode will start with Mikuru's phone call. If not I wonder how much of the plot will be shifted to the prologue, it seems the scenes in the prologue grow every episode.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 16:38   Link #307
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
LOL, that's obvious, and yes, your point is noted, there are more than enough Japanese who are going to buy the thing regardless. The fact that they CAN sell even that speaks volumes about the ones who actually buy it.
I don't understand why we must have such extremes. You don't have to be some sort of blind fanboy to at least recognize what they were trying to do here, and the resulting "drama" it's created. I suppose you could see it as a giant experiment in modern art, and we were all a part of it without knowing it. The thing about modern art is that a lot of people say "how is that art?" And that's pretty much this thread. But of course, if the show's merchandise is successful, some people will say "those Haruhi fans are so dumb they'll buy anything", which is just a way of dismissing that there was anything of value in this experiment (which is obviously your point). But I just think it's not so black-and-white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Most times when people complain about a show being cliche they just complaining that they actually wanted a different cliche to happen. Here we are presented a fairly original approach and people are throwing a tantrum. It just goes to show people actually want cliches not matter how much they profess they want originality. Originality is a bigger risk because you don't know how people will take it.
Just had to quote this from a sort of "truer words have never been spoken" perspective. I've often wondered why people (English fandom especially) claim to be so fixated on originality, even though I personally have never really seen anime as particularly original -- it seems extremely formulatic to me (and I like it because I like the formulas). But this experiment takes that whole idea and spins it back on itself. At least it makes me think about the larger experience of watching anime, and I give them credit for that. It gives us some "meat" we can chew on when thinking about fan reactions to anime. And probably the last show to do that in my memory... was the first season of Haruhi.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 16:52   Link #308
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
Spoiler:


(Dohohoho)
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 16:56   Link #309
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Spoiler:


(Dohohoho)
...Oh my god.

Rent + Haruhi = MINDSPLOSION.

Last edited by wittyusername; 2009-07-03 at 16:58. Reason: A+ spelling. >_>
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 16:56   Link #310
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mountains
Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Spoiler:


(Dohohoho)
I just cried a little bit.
__________________
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 17:04   Link #311
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
I find this all highly amusing, but I've been known to have a pretty dry sense of humor at times
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 17:20   Link #312
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't understand why we must have such extremes. You don't have to be some sort of blind fanboy to at least recognize what they were trying to do here, and the resulting "drama" it's created. I suppose you could see it as a giant experiment in modern art, and we were all a part of it without knowing it. The thing about modern art is that a lot of people say "how is that art?" And that's pretty much this thread. But of course, if the show's merchandise is successful, some people will say "those Haruhi fans are so dumb they'll buy anything", which is just a way of dismissing that there was anything of value in this experiment (which is obviously your point). But I just think it's not so black-and-white.

Just had to quote this from a sort of "truer words have never been spoken" perspective. I've often wondered why people (English fandom especially) claim to be so fixated on originality, even though I personally have never really seen anime as particularly original -- it seems extremely formulatic to me (and I like it because I like the formulas). But this experiment takes that whole idea and spins it back on itself. At least it makes me think about the larger experience of watching anime, and I give them credit for that. It gives us some "meat" we can chew on when thinking about fan reactions to anime. And probably the last show to do that in my memory... was the first season of Haruhi.
You don't have to be a bashing troll to at least recognize that there's a 3x (soon to be 4x) copy-paste going on, plain and simple. You can find meaning in anything if you're so inclined to, but that's beside the point. The fact that you can actually go so far as to basically relate Haruhi to "modern art" means there's such a wide gap between your reasoning and mine that I can't even make use of smoke signals to communicate.

It's a fact Kyoani can sell anything (unfortunately) so judging by sales alone will only allow you to conclude it's a successful business. Talking about what's art and what's not is a big discussion as it is, yet you easily equate these Haruhi episodes to some sort of "modern art" experiment, further enhancing my belief that communication of viewpoints on this is beyond impossible.

Cliches are cliches because they have been successful, that's why they are there. Cliche and blunt in-your-face repetition isn't really the same. I doubt the problem people had for the repetitive copy-paste is one of cliche vs originality. Originality for the sake of originality doesn't really say much. Not being cliche doesn't automatically make it art, although fanboys will indeed make it successful, like always.

I seriously do not see the point in arguing about it because some people perceive it one way and some perceive it another. The fact is that I personally fail to comprehend the other side in that matter so I'll just choose to stop and not troll. I've made my point known already, there is no point in repeating it yet again (pun intended).
__________________
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 17:34   Link #313
stubby42
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK/Canada
I think I fall in the camp of one too many endless eights.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 18:08   Link #314
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rio
Wow... How Kyoani got the balls do to this? I know it was supposed to be the same, i think that's very nice, but at least they should make something different than the last one, besides Yuki's mask. The last one was not the same as the first one, why this one has to be EXACTLY THE SAME? If their intent is to make the viewer to feel how Yuki feels, they are doing great.

I think this is the first episode i jumped between scenes to see something different... Well, can't say it's bad, but to see the same thing is really boring. I know what they're trying to do, but that doesn't help my mind to enjoy.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 18:30   Link #315
mugener
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
LOL, that's obvious, and yes, your point is noted, there are more than enough Japanese who are going to buy the thing regardless. The fact that they CAN sell even that speaks volumes about the ones who actually buy it.
.

*shake head*

that's why I said you will see the real outcome.

if new dvd sell less then s1 dvd, then it means even fanboys don't buy the idea.

if new dvd sell about the same then s1 dvd, then it means fanboys buy the idea.

if new dvd sell more then s1 dvd......

then you tell me, are those others buy dvd for nothing?

.
mugener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 18:31   Link #316
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
The more I think about it, the more I like it. A normal author will tell you how a character feels. A good author will show you how a character feels. But is KyoAni trying to make you, the viewers, feel how the character feels?

Are you angry? Frustrated? Upset at this farcical repetition? Do you just wish this Endless Eight would end already? Congratulations. You now understand a fraction of what Yuki has been through thus far. Keep that in mind.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 19:45   Link #317
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
I can see what Kyoani is doing here, they want to drive the viewers into pure despair with this. I don't really care if it's for the sake of art, a clever way of relating the characters feelings or just a plain ol' fashioned troll but I'm guessing not a single one of the viewers is gonna be amused when they replay the same episode for the eighth time... Oh trust me, they could do it if they really wanted to, I'm just wishing they're gonna give us the solution (or the start of it) at episode 5 otherwise I'm gonna crack and I'm sending Kyoani my psychologists bill.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 19:45   Link #318
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Damn just watch this episode :

So , they didn't resolve anything more looool how many episodes they'll make to finally resolve this case !
Hope the next episode will do it or it'll become more boring .
Well , surprising that they just noticed that the time was resetting with a number of times of 15499 !
If i was nagato , i already told them the truth even though its prohibited ! Don't imagine how much sad is she ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 22:03   Link #319
HeeroX
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I am a huge Suzumiya anime fan, but this ep is an epic fail.

It's the same episode.

It was painful to watch...

First time ever that I give a 1 to an anime...
HeeroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 00:09   Link #320
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Agreed. This was a complete waste. They didn't need to recycle it again to let us know how the characters felt about their situation. I just ended up fast forwarding through the whole episode like I did for 3/4 of the last episode. IMO this scenario was done better in ST:TNG's Cause and Effect.
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.