AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.51%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.60%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 84 29.17%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-05, 05:00   Link #401
FatalMemory
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
And also feel ashamed Im part of that fanbase.
To play devils advocate, I think some would feel ashamed to be a part of the fanbase that mindlessly accepts whatever the studios churn out.
FatalMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 05:22   Link #402
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Quite frankly Scarlet,

Spoiler for REGARDING HOW THE LOOP IS BROKEN:
From my perspective if Kyon hasn't come up with it with after 15499 through then the believability that he could come up with it on the 15500 times without some sort of external trigger is pretty much nonexistent. I'll assume that's just your speculation as if you have novel knowledge please keep that shit to yourself. It is neither desired nor required. I'll judge how they resolve it when they finally do so I probably have a few more episodes to go till then.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 05:39   Link #403
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalMemory View Post
To play devils advocate, I think some would feel ashamed to be a part of the fanbase that mindlessly accepts whatever the studios churn out.
If you're going to watch it next week, by my standards you've accepted that this is the way Haruhi works - they give you stuff, and you watch it, and then you pay them a lot of money for merchandise and stuff.

You're slaves! Slaves to their story! Now open your wallets!
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 06:25   Link #404
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pearl of the Orient Seas
Age: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
If you're going to watch it next week, by my standards you've accepted that this is the way Haruhi works - they give you stuff, and you watch it, and then you pay them a lot of money for merchandise and stuff.

You're slaves! Slaves to their story! Now open your wallets!
it's business
and I can pretty darn say that they are a genius when it comes to things like this
__________________

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 06:31   Link #405
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Let me say in her defence that she was not mocking, but deducting why some can enjoy such a boring and repetitive episode. Since I reacted in a similar manner, a parallel was drawn with girls that spend their weekends seeing romance movies, instead of trying to experienced in real life.
I thought she said "those people who like it"? Cause the Ep is boring like heck, but i like it.

If they plays "The boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" 3 times with different clothes and even different sports, it will still boring and ppl will hate it so much that they will start vandalize the office of whichever director gave that stupid ideas. However because it's an Endless Eight here, that's why even when it's still as boring, we here have diverged opinions.
Your parallel also wrong in this case. Try to say so to a girl who watched another version of a romance movie even when she watched the previous last week.


Btw, what your friends got out of seeing Endless Eight is "Haruhi & Co. having fun in the summer"? Is that all? That must be the reason for her weird "deduction" then
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 06:43   Link #406
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I thought she said "those people who like it"? Cause the Ep is boring like heck, but i like it.

If they plays "The boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" 3 times with different clothes and even different sports, it will still boring and ppl will hate it so much that they will start vandalize the office of whichever director gave that stupid ideas. However because it's an Endless Eight here, that's why even when it's still as boring, we here have diverged opinions.
Your parallel also wrong in this case. Try to say so to a girl who watched another version of a romance movie even when she watched the previous last week.
The parallel was not mine, but I agree (for the repetition value and fear of facing a realistic but cruel society).

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Btw, what your friends got out of seeing Endless Eight is "Haruhi & Co. having fun in the summer"? Is that all? That must be the reason for her weird "deduction" then
From the ousider's POV, is there anything else? Since when Haruhi was targeted to the select few novel readers (myself excluded since I dropped the chapter altogether), last time I checked there were crowds of cheeks, dancing in hare-hare
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 06:57   Link #407
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The parallel was not mine, but I agree (for the repetition value and fear of facing a realistic but cruel society).
The analogy is really flawed because it assumes that because the person didn't enjoy the episode then anyone who does must do so only because they have no social life. Just like loving to read romance novels doesn't mean you are in anyway inexperienced in that department. I could likewise say that since I did enjoy this episode that anyone who didn't do so was because they mind was too limited to fully appreciate the depth of the episode's message. I wouldn't because that would be as flawed an assumption as your friends.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 07:07   Link #408
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
If you're going to watch it next week, by my standards you've accepted that this is the way Haruhi works - they give you stuff, and you watch it, and then you pay them a lot of money for merchandise and stuff.

You're slaves! Slaves to their story! Now open your wallets!
I don't see how this makes sense, we're watching pirated video without ad support, they get absolutely nothing from us watching this unless we decide to buy the DVDs or watch it on television/An ad-supported stream or something like that. Spending 20-some odd minutes watching a show once a week also hardly seems like a massive investment either.

And frankly, I don't think I will continue buying the DVDs. I've supported this series pretty agressively and might continue buying the books but I'm done with supporting the anime series or anything connected to Kyoani for that matter. Doing that at this point would be saying I think they're doing a good job.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 08:11   Link #409
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I don't see how this makes sense, we're watching pirated video without ad support, they get absolutely nothing from us watching this unless we decide to buy the DVDs or watch it on television/An ad-supported stream or something like that. Spending 20-some odd minutes watching a show once a week also hardly seems like a massive investment either.

And frankly, I don't think I will continue buying the DVDs. I've supported this series pretty agressively and might continue buying the books but I'm done with supporting the anime series or anything connected to Kyoani for that matter. Doing that at this point would be saying I think they're doing a good job.
Remember that their market is not US consumers, it's Japanese consumers. We are not the primary intended audience at all. I think the Japanese market (and thus consumer reaction to KyoAni's series of stunts) is almost certainly of higher importance to them, but I think they've got to be very certain of how enslaved/shackled to the series the fans feel if they can afford to pull risky moves like this.

Anyway voting with your wallet is the only move with real impact, considering Haruhi's fan power, but anybody outside the US has their effect buffered by a few layers of money and other companies first.

That said, if all the angry angry people are still going to tune in next week then they're not as angry as they say they are.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 08:17   Link #410
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
I'm sure on DVD or during a marathon, it's fine.
This is my thought as well, there won't be that sense of anticipation, and anxiety of whether they get out of it or not.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 08:26   Link #411
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
From the ousider's POV, is there anything else? Since when Haruhi was targeted to the select few novel readers (myself excluded since I dropped the chapter altogether), last time I checked there were crowds of cheeks, dancing in hare-hare
I am not a novel reader through, and i got more from Endless 8 than the moe girls in Yukata and in swimsuit

The only book i read is SHny(The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi), maybe i will read more by the time the anime ended
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 08:43   Link #412
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
I'm sure on DVD or during a marathon, it's fine.
This is my thought as well, there won't be that sense of anticipation, and anxiety of whether they get out of it or not.
I would agree, weekly broadcasts tends to stir up emotions far more then seeing it in a short period of time.

The emotions vented in this thread and the extremes in the poll suggest people still deeply care. I'd be more worried if people had mostly voted 5/10 to 7/10 and the reactions had been indifferent.

Controversy just adds a little spice to the mix.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 08:48   Link #413
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
"I hate you so much that I love you."

One of the things that went through my mind as I read this thread.

Narf.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 10:43   Link #414
CS1Energypyre
BEATOOOO
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: I wish I knew. :/
8/10. Building up for the finale. Having read the novel, I'm ready for the ending.
CS1Energypyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 11:05   Link #415
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
The analogy is really flawed because it assumes that because the person didn't enjoy the episode then anyone who does must do so only because they have no social life. Just like loving to read romance novels doesn't mean you are in anyway inexperienced in that department. I could likewise say that since I did enjoy this episode that anyone who didn't do so was because they mind was too limited to fully appreciate the depth of the episode's message. I wouldn't because that would be as flawed an assumption as your friends.
Assuming something is true does not make everything else not included in the assumption false, rather uncertain. Also it was a speculation and a correlation, between two similar situation. Finally, since the whole discussion diverges OOT, please stop discussing it here, at least to this extent; PM me or I will have to edit my original post.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 11:24   Link #416
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Assuming something is true does not make everything else not included in the assumption false, rather uncertain. Also it was a speculation and a correlation, between two similar situation. Finally, since the whole discussion diverges OOT, please stop discussing it here, at least to this extent; PM me or I will have to edit my original post.
Your statement makes no sense at all. Assuming people who liked the episode are socially inept doesn't mean that if a person likes the show who isn't social inept that the assumption isn't proven wrong? Sure, it possible that some people might like the show who are but I don't think that applies to most and certainly not everyone. The correlation is badly drawn because you can apply it to everyone who watch's anime. Why aren't they out there doing it instead in real life?

Secondly, this is on-topic as it relates directly to this episode. Don't try to slink away because you have no basis for your argument because it borders on the ludicrous.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 12:26   Link #417
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Yep, Haruhi is definately back. The amounts of random related relevant topics is at optimum levels.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 18:04   Link #418
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
i just watched the ep
there HAS TO BE a bet
someone bet the people in kyoani that they cant possibly do ANYTHING that would make people avoid this season of haruhi
and they are out to prove them wrong
airing the first ep of the season without drawing attention to it
airing what is techniclly the same episode THREE FUCKING TIMES (going on 4)
this CANT just be a coincidence

they are basiclly trying to either get people to tune out, or prove that they can do what ever they want and STILL have people tuning in
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 18:44   Link #419
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
This one just felt like a bad filler episode, except usually fillers are made when there isn't enough source material and that's not the case here. So the studio's just being cheap with the most awaited anime of the year, how disappointing.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 19:33   Link #420
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Well there's a limited amount of source material. Enough for a two course season but little beyond that. Especially what with Volume 9 not really being usable in it's current state.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.