AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-15, 00:59   Link #281
alu546
y prime
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The South
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to alu546
Well, the story in episode 2 started dull and got progressiveky better. It ended greatly, I liked the message at the end for the girl. Things like that need to be said to teenagers going through those depressing stages and circumstances. And not just said, also proven with action, it would prevent alot of suicides in this world.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 01:33   Link #282
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
Yup, you pretty much summed up how I've felt about this anime so far.
It's interesting enough for me to watch next week at least I suppose.
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar By RRW &
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 01:54   Link #283
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
BTW, does anyone know who the narrator was?
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 02:34   Link #284
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I think what's missing in this show is the hook that made Baccano a hit. Especially the mystery, the backstory, the locale. This time, it's just generic modern age Japan and surprise surprise,

Spoiler:


So far, it's like the plot is grasping at something interesting. Also, I wish anime never shows some computer screen of people chatting away. I know it can make sense in certain circles, but it just feels like a copout to me. As far as the entire storytelling aspect in anime is concerned.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 02:35   Link #285
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Bah, too much reused footage, and this is only episode 2!

Setting that aside though, the story was intriguing to say the least, once you got past the recap part. I must say, the narrator was a good idea; it lets us privy to some of the inner thoughts of the character that we'd otherwise miss (and I'm sure there's a lot in the novel). Hopefully they use more of her.

Looking forward to episode 3, where finally I can see some signs of shipping of activity. XD


Guy who was eyeing Anri was creepy to say the least. Sure we haven't seen much of him, but I want him dead now.... but that's probably my bias speaking, since I'm uncharacteristically 'protective' of characters voiced by Hanazawa. I blame Zegapain...
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 02:36   Link #286
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
BTW, does anyone know who the narrator was?
I didn't look at the credit list, but neither the main page nor ANN has listed who the actual voice person if that's what you're wondering. OR, if you are wondering if it's any of the characters, then I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's just the narrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
... Also, I wish anime never shows some computer screen of people chatting away. I know it can make sense in certain circles, but it just feels like a copout to me. As far as the entire storytelling aspect in anime is concerned.
Can't really help it this time though because it is inherited from the source material, it's somewhat major important in letting you know what's going on in the story.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2010-01-15 at 02:54.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 03:06   Link #287
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
So, first episode was a little dull but hey character introductions, complete with "tour" of the city. Pretty neat but nothing amazing. lol at the guy throwing vending machines fifty feet in the air.

Second episode. Wow. I thought it would be just as spastic with all the characters as the first but instead the focus is fewer and the narration really helped keep the flow going. The overall message at the end was nicely handled, and I really like all the small character quirks that show up (the head shaking, walking along the edge of the roof, etc.).

The ED is still yawn, but the OP is pretty solid. I really like how it blends the previous episodes highlights in with the rest of it, there's just something fun about it and makes it less tempting to just skip it after seeing it once or twice.

There's a certain "take it or leave it" kind of expectation that probably goes with this kind of show. I'm positive that some might find at least one of these characters very very annoying, but for me the show, for the rough edges, has been fun to watch and even tickled my philosophy side a bit. I like the energy, even if it doesn't seem like there's any focus whatsoever. Heck, even if this was just a "tales in the city" format like Episode 2, but for the whole series, I'd probably watch it anyway.

One of the reasons I liked this episode btw, is that Japan has a rather high suicide rate compared to other countries. I'm always interested in seeing how writers from there handle the subject. I have to say in this case, I wasn't disappointed.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 03:36   Link #288
ZetranWW3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Just recently interested on this series. And I find it to be really nice.

especially when it seems that many small detail scream hint! hint! or perhaps it's just me

For example I like that Masaomi guy. He's cool seems like a good buddy and all but the way he speak know it all of ikebukuro (plus his attitude friend connection etc etc) somehow alarming me there is more to this guy. I highlight it on the way he said about Izaya and gang conflict. I wonder if he ever confront him somewhere and perhaps he's also some sort kind of gang member or leader? but then again I might be reading into this alittle bit too much since there're only two episode shown.........
ZetranWW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 03:54   Link #289
xKeen
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malaysia
I really like this anime,just finished episode 2.It's really interesting imo,also I love the OP and ED song.
__________________

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 04:22   Link #290
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Dyurarara I guess is a play on words for a Dullahan? Saw it romanized Dullalala and the OP lyrics mentioning a faerie made me think of the connection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan

Celtic faerie that is headless and rides a black horse killing people. Seems to fit the bill
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 05:38   Link #291
blewin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Well, the story in episode 2 started dull and got progressiveky better. It ended greatly, I liked the message at the end for the girl. Things like that need to be said to teenagers going through those depressing stages and circumstances. And not just said, also proven with action, it would prevent alot of suicides in this world.
Love the message too, though I'm not sure whether I do believe in it.
Unfortunately, most often, people persist in their foolishness rather than taking things optimistically. They all seem to need to make mistakes in order to learn. And we get those who pick themselves up after that mistake or sink lower and lower and lower...
__________________

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 05:57   Link #292
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Spoiler for Episode 02:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
BTW, does anyone know who the narrator was?
It's Sawashiro Miyuki. If that's what you're wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Bah, too much reused footage, and this is only episode 2!
There's a difference between reused footage, and scenes shown from the first episode.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:04   Link #293
Preacher
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Dyurarara I guess is a play on words for a Dullahan? Saw it romanized Dullalala and the OP lyrics mentioning a faerie made me think of the connection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan

Celtic faerie that is headless and rides a black horse killing people. Seems to fit the bill
Umh... I though Durarara was just a sound of igniting motorcycle.
__________________
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:08   Link #294
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Love the message too, though I'm not sure whether I do believe in it.
Unfortunately, most often, people persist in their foolishness rather than taking things optimistically. They all seem to need to make mistakes in order to learn. And we get those who pick themselves up after that mistake or sink lower and lower and lower...
I think that's sort of the thing they were aiming at with the plot of people committing suicides. In a way, some of them don't do it out of depression alone, but the need to send a message with that. Especially in Asian nations where suicides are commonly used as a form of vengeance and to shout out their existence or to apologize to people or just to make some kind of a statement, it's a real problem that way.

And I think that treating suicides as being 'foolish' actually counter acts it all. That actually makes people want to commit suicides MORE to prove a point. Like with that girl and others who feel they're cornered. I almost get angry at this thought that suicides = foolish, and that's that. It's really not that simple. No matter if a person is a teenager or not, it's really not something to trifle with. It's almost like daring a person to commit suicide if one is to trivialize how serious they may be about making such a drastic change to their lives or what statement they might want to make of it.

Sometimes, I think the point of averting suicides is that there's a point to be made of simply living. And that 'simply living' is actually full of meaning, whether it be positive or negative and it has more meaning than suicides.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:16   Link #295
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Spoiler for ep 2:
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:25   Link #296
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Wow Episode 2 was great! Way better than the first.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:27   Link #297
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Yeah. We finally get a villain/anti-hero type that could use a pretty spankin'. I actually like downright evil villains more than manipulative types.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:29   Link #298
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I actually like downright evil villains more than manipulative types.
Ehh??? Stalker guy to me appeared to be more of the latter rather than the former. Well if what he says is true and didn't cause the other guy to splat...
Then again, i wouldn't trust what he says either...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:33   Link #299
blewin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I think that's sort of the thing they were aiming at with the plot of people committing suicides. In a way, some of them don't do it out of depression alone, but the need to send a message with that. Especially in Asian nations where suicides are commonly used as a form of vengeance and to shout out their existence or to apologize to people or just to make some kind of a statement, it's a real problem that way.

And I think that treating suicides as being 'foolish' actually counter acts it all. That actually makes people want to commit suicides MORE to prove a point. Like with that girl and others who feel they're cornered. I almost get angry at this thought that suicides = foolish, and that's that. It's really not that simple. No matter if a person is a teenager or not, it's really not something to trifle with. It's almost like daring a person to commit suicide if one is to trivialize how serious they may be about making such a drastic change to their lives or what statement they might want to make of it.

Sometimes, I think the point of averting suicides is that there's a point to be made of simply living. And that 'simply living' is actually full of meaning, whether it be positive or negative and it has more meaning than suicides.
suicide isn't foolishness...... I dunno. I do feel that it takes enormous courage to suicide, even though some people say suicide is just a way to escape life. But really, suicide to prove a point? Is anything in this world worth so much that you'd throw your life away for it? If it's something truly worthwhile... hey, but who can say what is truly worthwhile?

Still, we can probably tell that based on what you said "meaning".

well, there's a bright side to almost everything if one can change one's mindset and attitude. Flip the coin over and life will turn so much better.
__________________

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 06:35   Link #300
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Ehh??? Stalker guy to me appeared to be more of the latter rather than the former. Well if what he says is true and didn't cause the other guy to splat...
Then again, i wouldn't trust what he says either...
Okay okay. That real stalker guy deserved a skull-caving. I guess I'm too into the typical anime villains who are more like... divinely evil and not in the petty types. Like those kidnappers. Baccano seemed to have oogles of those.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, mystery, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.