AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Old 2010-01-15, 06:39   Link #301
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
well, there's a bright side to almost everything if one can change one's mindset and attitude. Flip the coin over and life will turn so much better.
I think that's the thing though. The typical answer is that there's good in life, but if you want the whole sandwich, there's also the realization that you can make an impact and a point of something by living and persevering. I actually believe even negative things about life is better reason than just ending it all. Like say if you want to apologize, you don't have to take an ultimate sacrifice. If you want to make revenge (that doesn't include criminal activities ) on someone, do it without that kind of finality.

There's that obvious aspect that you shouldn't commit suicide because it negatively impacts others lives, but I think there's plenty of viable selfish reasons why someone should not do so. And sometimes, being selfish is okay. It's what makes people human.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 11:39   Link #302
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I think that's sort of the thing they were aiming at with the plot of people committing suicides. In a way, some of them don't do it out of depression alone, but the need to send a message with that. Especially in Asian nations where suicides are commonly used as a form of vengeance and to shout out their existence or to apologize to people or just to make some kind of a statement, it's a real problem that way.

And I think that treating suicides as being 'foolish' actually counter acts it all. That actually makes people want to commit suicides MORE to prove a point. Like with that girl and others who feel they're cornered. I almost get angry at this thought that suicides = foolish, and that's that. It's really not that simple. No matter if a person is a teenager or not, it's really not something to trifle with. It's almost like daring a person to commit suicide if one is to trivialize how serious they may be about making such a drastic change to their lives or what statement they might want to make of it.

Sometimes, I think the point of averting suicides is that there's a point to be made of simply living. And that 'simply living' is actually full of meaning, whether it be positive or negative and it has more meaning than suicides.
I actually thought something like that when I was angry. I wanted to get back at people for making me mad and angry by suicide (on the side note I am Asian). This episode reminded me the feeling that I had when I was in high school and I was depressed. And the message I felt was correct that life does have meaning and everyone has those to live on, or that is how I saw it. What Rio thought I could kind of understood, if I were to kill myself would the people around me be sad and be depressed, and would they realize that they made a mistake? The only difference was that back then I feared death and that moment Rio didn't.

Now on to more positive things , I believe I might have developed men crush for Izaya . His words were very interesting and manipulative natural was great. He has to be my favorite character in this show right now and it reminds me that one thing that made Baccano! great was the characters, and this show has plenty of great character or rather with potential to be one. The whole episode with perspective with Rio was interesting and the overall message was interesting and gives great perspective on what people feel.

Great, great episode, without doubt. This show is starting to grow on me, the bg musics, op, and the ed starts to become better as I keep hearing it more. Men can't wait for the next episode.
Old 2010-01-15, 12:24   Link #303
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

I figured out the identity of the tame motorcyclist...
some say that she can pull out a scythe out of her neck and that she's wearing cat ears because it's the latest rage...
All we know is...
Spoiler:
Old 2010-01-15, 12:25   Link #304
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler:
HOLY FUCKING ROFL!!!

That is genius. That is utter genius.
Old 2010-01-15, 13:51   Link #305
Asleep

I really liked the first episode which happens rarely so I am looking forward to seeing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Regarding Horo's appearance in this, it's a shame a lot of us were spoiled with it. The scene was shown in the trailer.
I never watched the trailer but I went on frostii's site *curses*

Now I'll stay away from this thread till I watch the second episode
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 13:54   Link #306
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
Speaking of Celty, I wonder if she'll ever talk. I'm pretty sure the narrator is her.
See when it comes to this, i'm just going to say that if it does turn out to be true, then i won't be surprised, though for now we don't have enough information to confirm it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
Now I'll stay away from this thread till I watch the second episode
Yes that is a good idea.
Old 2010-01-15, 13:54   Link #307
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well, I was expecting more action in this episode and was disappointed at how much explaining there was going on. Having a recap in the OP is fine, I thought Baccano was brilliant for that. However, it's only been one episode, I'm pretty sure most of us hadn't forgotten everything they went over (plus I was going bonkers trying to figure out who the narrator was, and, judging from the last few pages, it doesn't seem like I even needed to think about that). Also, I don't know if it's me or not, but it feels like almost every anime/manga set in Japan has at least one affair either during the story or driving some of the events of the main time line. Maybe I don't notice it as much in Western YA because, um, well, that's the thing. I don't recall nearly as many affairs in Western YA, so is this more of a cultural difference or is it made more obvious by telling a story visually instead of just verbally?
Also, I really liked all of the insight on here about suicides in Asia since that really helped me understand the girl more. I hadn't been aware that the culture significance was that different in Asia so I'm glad some of you guys pointed it out. And I think that Izaya didn't cause that last bloodstain. Just a feeling but he seems to be one of the characters that prefers to influence events or move them along instead of instigate/finish them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I figured out the identity of the tame motorcyclist...
some say that she can pull out a scythe out of her neck and that she's wearing cat ears because it's the latest rage...
All we know is...
Spoiler:
XDDDDDD I was totally thinking that too! Although she might be Irish if she really is a Dullan (c'mon, her name can be romanized as Celty). And the shadow manipulation she did was really cool, also explains the oddly shaped shadows in some of the official art.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 14:46   Link #308
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Ehh??? Stalker guy to me appeared to be more of the latter rather than the former. Well if what he says is true and didn't cause the other guy to splat...
Then again, i wouldn't trust what he says either...
Well, for some reason, I think he's type of the guy that doesn't lie, yet he never tells the whole story so you don't really know what's going on.

Spoiler for suiciders:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I actually thought something like that when I was angry ... And the message I felt was correct that life does have meaning and everyone has those to live on, or that is how I saw it ...
Sounds way too much like me it's creepy., though absolutely abhor that message in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
See when it comes to this, i'm just going to say that if it does turn out to be true, then i won't be surprised, though for now we don't have enough information to confirm it is.
I hope not! She doesn't sound like the Celty I know at all!!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 14:49   Link #309
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I hope not! She doesn't sound like the Celty I know at all!!
Yeah i agree, plus i like the idea of Sawashiro Miyuki having her first narration role.
Old 2010-01-15, 15:59   Link #310
philip72

/a/ keeps on saying this show becomes yaoi.

However, I couldn't see any reference to that mentioned anywhere in this forum. Does the show get BL'ish as it goes along? Or is anon-kun simply trolling?
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 16:24   Link #311
Sol Falling

I haven't watched the second episode yet (will do it soon) but I can totally see where anon is coming from for ep 1. It's probably(?) not intentional, but the characters come off as way too friendly, in a not at all gar or brofist or in any manner masculine way.
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 16:35   Link #312
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
/a/ keeps on saying this show becomes yaoi.

However, I couldn't see any reference to that mentioned anywhere in this forum. Does the show get BL'ish as it goes along? Or is anon-kun simply trolling?
There is none it's just meme created by some of trolls on /a/ that don't like the show.

It's actually one most popular shows over there if not the most which means it gets trolled the most just like Bake, TTGL, Haruhi etc all are.

Mikado and Kida don't anything out norm between close friends.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 17:27   Link #313
philip72

Thanks Iron Maw, Sol Falling.

/a/ is tsundere for popular shows, but the meme was strong and unchallenged; so I wasn't sure if it was trolling or if the show really takes a turn to the rose.

I'm watching this show with my brother who's new to anime. He was interested in the first episode, but things would get awkward if he were suddenly presented with fujoshi bait.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 17:34   Link #314
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Umh... I though Durarara was just a sound of igniting motorcycle.
It's possibly both.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 17:45   Link #315
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Thanks Iron Maw, Sol Falling.

/a/ is tsundere for popular shows, but the meme was strong and unchallenged; so I wasn't sure if it was trolling or if the show really takes a turn to the rose.
Oh it's definitely been challenged in past few days, but claims are being ignored now because trolls just want the attention and it derails any form discussion on the show. They will die down when they can't get a raise out of people.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:09   Link #316
ac3y

Mm the second episode was great.
The whole reusing scenes thing was a little disappointing, especially since it's only episode two.
On the other hand, Celty actually has a chance of getting a personality now, what with the communication by text and all.

I actually listened to the ED this time around, and it's a great song. The OP, not so much though.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:28   Link #317
Tworble

I am liking this so far. Perhaps not as fast paced as "Baccano" fans would like; but Brains Base also made "Natsume Yuujin Chou"

I think Yaoi fans will probably like it because of the blond boy who cuddles with everyone and the fancy dressed "shinjuku guy" who deals in information. It won't be a yaoi though.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 18:41   Link #318
bbee

I can't believe some of the "meh" responses that ep 2 is getting. For me it was one of the best episodes I've seen in years.

Deep characterization with profound character development, reflection on life, bleak portrait of society, flowing dialogue and words with actual weight to them. What more could you want? Oh, and an actual moral message! When was the last time we saw that in an anime?
What of the way these wonderfully subdued visuals seem to fit the dialogue and these characters? The way that the episode stands on its own and could be viewed seperately, yet links back to ep 1 in a beautiful way due to the overlapping timeline. Everything just "fits" and feels right for once.

What's more, there's an actual bona fide narrative arc fit into an entire episode. The headmaster at the opening address talks about the declining birth rate and calls the students "a bright future" for society. Then we get to see a different vision of that society's future through the eyes of one of the students. Every single frame, line of inner monologue, dialogue and narration serves to explore this disconnect of perspective. And the conclusion is just brilliant in flipping that perspective around.
You people just aren't looking deep enough to see the sheer genius that is this episode.

And please don't say things like "too much explaining and too little action". FMA and other brainless shows like that are right over there for you to enjoy. Can't us mature minded people have a show every once in a while? Please? We already get so little, we're lucky to have one mature show per season.

Excuse me while I pray to all the gods I know that the show continues like this for a few more episodes; I'd love to see all the other parallel stories that were going on while we were getting a tour in ep 1. This show is a beacon of while light in the vast drab sea that is the winter season.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:42   Link #319
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Oh it's definitely been challenged in past few days, but claims are being ignored now because trolls just want the attention and it derails any form discussion on the show. They will die down when they can't get a raise out of people.
Just want to add, if you want series spoiled stay from /a/ for awhile. I heard some massive spoilers have been posted there from the novel and manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhee
I can't believe some of the "meh" responses that ep 2 is getting. For me it was one of the best episodes I've seen in years.
Actually, most people are positive on the episode. It was just that more "action" was expected, but there will be plenty of time for that later.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:49   Link #320
Battler-kun

Izaya is a witty guy. He is intelligent and knowledgable.

A rolemodel for me.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, mystery, shounen