AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-01-19, 15:11   Link #421
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

First show in a long time that I've been excited for.

I'm actually looking forward to new episodes. I can't even remember the last time that happened.

Loved Baccano, definitely looking forward to where this goes.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 22:46   Link #422
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Just got around to watching the 2nd episode. Talk about depressing. I'm glad I had the K-On special to watch after wards otherwise I'd be really bummed out.

I don't like that guy by the way, doing all that for your own amusement. I hope he get's what he deserves.

Oh, and sub-forum soon? 22 pages and only two episodes. lol.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 23:15   Link #423
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Just got around to watching the 2nd episode. Talk about depressing. I'm glad I had the K-On special to watch after wards otherwise I'd be really bummed out.
How so? It had a happy ending and they even sent the message "the world isn't as bad as you think" If anything it was an uplifting episode.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up for Izaya getting what he deserves. If Baccano! is any indication, then this author doesn't really feel the need to give his more evil characters their rightful punishment.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 23:18   Link #424
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
And I wouldn't get my hopes up for Izaya getting what he deserves. If Baccano! is any indication, then this author doesn't really feel the need to give his more evil characters their rightful punishment.
Well, Izaya has a fan club in this thread. In a way, he's gotten what he deserves. Adoration!
Old 2010-01-19, 23:18   Link #425
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Oh, and sub-forum soon? 22 pages and only two episodes. lol.
This thread doesn't even have the most replies out of the January series. In fact, it has the 4th most. Considering the infrequency of sub forums, doesn't seem that likely at this point. Only the mods know, though.
Old 2010-01-20, 00:44   Link #426
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

If this thread were double the size it is right now for two eps, then we'd probably be looking at a sub forum. For now though? Probably not.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 03:50   Link #427
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

After watching EP1, this anime definitely got me interested. I shouldn't have looked down on it just because of the stupid title.

Anyone here read the light novels? I'm interested in reading spoilers.
Old 2010-01-20, 04:37   Link #428
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, Izaya has a fan club in this thread. In a way, he's gotten what he deserves. Adoration!
It just goes to show how the majority of us like our twisted characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
I shouldn't have looked down on it just because of the stupid title.
Yeah that really is a silly reason.

Quote:
A few links have been posted already in this thread for future novel spoilers. Should be able to find them easily with the search function.
Old 2010-01-20, 05:05   Link #429
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah that really is a silly reason.
Not as much as the title though.

There is also a spelling mistake in the title of the thread; Its Durarara!! and not Dhurarara!!
Old 2010-01-20, 05:41   Link #430
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Not as much as the title though.
Personally i don't see what's silly about it.

Quote:
There is also a spelling mistake in the title of the thread; Its Durarara!! and not Dhurarara!!
It's no spelling mistake. Both are correct titles.
Old 2010-01-20, 05:51   Link #431
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Personally i don't see what's silly about it.

It's no spelling mistake. Both are correct titles.
Strange.

Everywhere I looked it's Durarara. And yes, it kinda is silly, especially with the "!!" at the end.
Old 2010-01-20, 06:06   Link #432
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Strange.

Everywhere I looked it's Durarara. And yes, it kinda is silly, especially with the "!!" at the end.
Well, デュ is an irregular kana combination that can be romanized Dhu, Dyu, or Du. Since it's not licensed, I suppose there's not an official English spelling, though the website is durarara.com.
Old 2010-01-20, 06:27   Link #433
asrielchase

Oh the title. I thought it has some special meaning at first, but in fact even the editor of this book laughed out loud when he wrote it down,
"The title looks SO STUPID on paper!", even more funny when he then asks the author, "Oh while we're at it do you want to add exclamation mark to it? Just like Baccano!"
"Make it two."

But well it's unique and cute in its own way. And the content is good, that's more than enough
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 08:37   Link #434
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
How so? It had a happy ending and they even sent the message "the world isn't as bad as you think" If anything it was an uplifting episode.

Watching an episode about suicide...it's normal to get depressed. And even though it left a positive message, the character wasn't exactly happy and renewed about her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyougaElliot View Post
If this thread were double the size it is right now for two eps, then we'd probably be looking at a sub forum. For now though? Probably not.
I think we can get into some good discussions about the characters, so who knows. But I like sub-forums because each episode get's its own thread and I don't have to worry about getting spoiled as much.

Quote:
After watching EP1, this anime definitely got me interested. I shouldn't have looked down on it just because of the stupid title.
It is a strange one. I am curious where the name came from. We know where Baccano came from.

Quote:
You and your spoilers, get the hell out!
Old 2010-01-20, 09:45   Link #435
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Anyone here read the light novels?
Only the prologue and the first two chapters of the first volume, but most of them are already shown in the first two episodes of the anime. Hehe.

Quote:
I don't like that guy by the way, doing all that for your own amusement. I hope he get's what he deserves.
If you consider him getting hit with a trashcan a punishment (as seen in the trailer), then he's getting what he deserves form someone . . .hahahaha!!!! He's my favorite but he's also fun to abuse/torture xD Hahahaha!

Quote:
Watching an episode about suicide...it's normal to get depressed. And even though it left a positive message, the character wasn't exactly happy and renewed about her life.
B-but wasn't she all smiles with her new school life (if not daydreaming/reminiscing)?
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 09:48   Link #436
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
the character wasn't exactly happy and renewed about her life.
Together with the line "Because the world isn't as bad as you think", what made that scene was the narrator's line that followed that, saying that Rio was thinking of her parents, each of them having a part to their life she didn't know about, and maybe they weren't as evil as she thought. I don't know about you, though that goes to know that Celty's message left a mark on her, enough to change her way of thinking. I'd say her life would change from here on now she has that new mind-set of life.

I adored that part of the episode, because it goes to show how much of an impact life can have on you. To be able to change such a mind-set that was disgusted with life, enough to go end her own. Truly superb writing there.
Old 2010-01-20, 10:36   Link #437
June 1983

Quote:

It is a strange one. I am curious where the name came from. We know where Baccano came from.
It comes from a mispronunciation of a real word, but the word might be considered a spoiler (though if they'd gotten it right it would have been the title ... ).

Spoiler for title:
June 1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 11:37   Link #438
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
If you consider him getting hit with a trashcan a punishment (as seen in the trailer), then he's getting what he deserves form someone . . .hahahaha!!!! He's my favorite but he's also fun to abuse/torture xD Hahahaha!
I want something more than a trash can. That is, if he really did that to other kids like what was hinted at.

Quote:
B-but wasn't she all smiles with her new school life (if not daydreaming/reminiscing)?
I didn't perceive her as all that happy. Maybe she was still in shock.

Quote:
Together with the line "Because the world isn't as bad as you think", what made that scene was the narrator's line that followed that, saying that Rio was thinking of her parents, each of them having a part to their life she didn't know about, and maybe they weren't as evil as she thought. I don't know about you, though that goes to know that Celty's message left a mark on her, enough to change her way of thinking. I'd say her life would change from here on now she has that new mind-set of life.

I adored that part of the episode, because it goes to show how much of an impact life can have on you. To be able to change such a mind-set that was disgusted with life, enough to go end her own. Truly superb writing there.
That is a great message but the girl still wasn't renewed. There were still things she had to think about and confront. Why would her parents just gloss over her dad cheating? Would she be able to live a lie like that during dinner everyday?

Well, maybe the fact that she actually jumped got to me so much. I was shocked when she did that. I thought for sure she was going to re-think things, but as the narrator went on...well...yeah.

Oh, and i s it just me or did her look change a lot when she went to meet the guys during episode one. Her hair got lighter and she didn't wear the glasses. Was there a short time skip from the time he invited her to commit suicide with him to the time she went to see met him?
Old 2010-01-20, 11:49   Link #439
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
That is a great message but the girl still wasn't renewed. There were still things she had to think about and confront. Why would her parents just gloss over her dad cheating? Would she be able to live a lie like that during dinner everyday?
For all we know, she might have straight out asked her parents about the situation, or was able to completely accept a happy family the way it is, and ignore the past. These options look acceptable going by her new look on life thanks to Celty's words.

Quote:
Oh, and i s it just me or did her look change a lot when she went to meet the guys during episode one. Her hair got lighter and she didn't wear the glasses. Was there a short time skip from the time he invited her to commit suicide with him to the time she went to see met him?
I don't think it was a time skip, maybe just a few weeks after. She probably just wanted a different look then the one she's used to seeing in the mirror.
Old 2010-01-20, 11:51   Link #440
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Oh, and is it just me or did her look change a lot when she went to meet the guys during episode one. Her hair got lighter and she didn't wear the glasses. Was there a short time skip from the time he invited her to commit suicide with him to the time she went to see met him?
I was wondering that myself, maybe it was to make her past and present selves more obvious? New look for entering high school? Defying her parents (since that also seemed to be the reason for her suicide)?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, mystery, shounen