AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Old 2010-01-25, 02:24   Link #601
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Weak stupid guys randomly having plot importance is something I don't like seeing in fiction. Call it envy, or distaste for cheap escapism, whichever.
Yet Mikado is 'somewhat' the central character although theoretically speaking it's actually pretty hard to label him with central role. It seems pretty harsh to label him 'weak stupid guy randomly having plot importance' when you only get to see a side of him Call it fangirl's natural instinct but I'm speculating that there is something special about Mikado that calls me not to dislike him yet. And God knows how much I hate people with weak will like him 8'D (The narration doesn't help in making me intrigued to Mikado for that matter.)

I'm always expecting Narita's characters, even the not-strong willed ones at the first, to surprise and/or makes me interested. And that has yet to be broken on course of marathoning Baccano! back before

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 04:43   Link #602
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
I'm always expecting Narita's characters, even the not-strong willed ones at the first, to surprise and/or makes me interested. And that has yet to be broken on course of marathoning Baccano! back before
I'm definitely seeing a Jaccuzi Splot thing going on with Mikado's character, so I expect him to (vastly) improve before the anime is over.
Old 2010-01-25, 04:54   Link #603
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I actually sorta don't want to see the guy level up in that way... Too cliche.. Then again, Baccano had its share of cliche moments underneath all the craziness too. I guess I just want to see the development of the story rather than the same thing that happens in any other given anime..
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 05:09   Link #604
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I actually sorta don't want to see the guy level up in that way... Too cliche.. Then again, Baccano had its share of cliche moments underneath all the craziness too. I guess I just want to see the development of the story rather than the same thing that happens in any other given anime..
...Most anime protagonists who are this milquetoast don't "level up", in my experience, which is what makes epic weaklings like Jaccuzi so rare and awesome.

I can only hope this happens to Mikado, or I'm really going to want to punch him in the face before this season is over.
Old 2010-01-25, 05:32   Link #605
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I won't complain if they can at least make it entertaining. It's just to to me, Mikado has a bit of a standing as the 'normal' guy in the cast of freaks. So at least hopefully he won't compromise that too much. Then again, anime tends to jump the shark daily anyway.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 05:41   Link #606
Sol Falling

I don't remember Baccano especially clearly but indeed, Jacuzzi came to mind as who you[/Natsuki Hyuuga] were[/was] referring to, and I kinda feel it's a different case. Jacuzzi, although weak, was also kinda messed up and crazy (if I remember right--a coward, but an exaggerated and not relatable one) so him flipping out and pwning stuff was sorta expected. Mikado here is clearly presented as a (semi)-sympathetic character, at least a normal one, so his pwnage will have to be more balanced (like, realistic and in-line with his general personality, I mean), so I don't expect we will see such a drastic change in him here.

More to the point, though, I didn't particularly end up liking Jacuzzi more even after he became more 'interesting' by showing some skillz (actually: being honest right here, I totally can't remember what Jacuzzi actually did, aside from take out some dudes (maybe...?) and kissing his nee-san (lol--just kidding,...I think?), so yeah, someone can fill me in if they feel like it) so that's not particularly a guarantee for making Mikado a likeable character. Actually the grossest thing about him right now for me is the disaster that is his crush on Anri, so I don't know if kicking ass will even have anything to do with that. The main point though that I was making with that comment is that I haven't seen anything from him so far that would make Izaya having a more than passing/disparaging interest in him justified, so I hope that isn't the case (and the evidence doesn't really necessitate it).
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 06:21   Link #607
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
I don't remember Baccano especially clearly but indeed, Jacuzzi came to mind as who you[/Natsuki Hyuuga] were[/was] referring to, and I kinda feel it's a different case. Jacuzzi, although weak, was also kinda messed up and crazy (if I remember right--a coward, but an exaggerated and not relatable one) so him flipping out and pwning stuff was sorta expected. Mikado here is clearly presented as a (semi)-sympathetic character, at least a normal one, so his pwnage will have to be more balanced (like, realistic and in-line with his general personality, I mean), so I don't expect we will see such a drastic change in him here.
Except the thing is that we know nothing about Mikado, in fact we "really" don't know anything about these characters outside small things about them. Part of ep 3 was hinting that Mikado like everyone else does have "secret" and what we are seeing all isn't there is about him. Izaya awareness of this "secret" is strong enough make him meet with Mikado personally. It will likely be tied to his personality and development among other things.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-01-25 at 06:37.
Iron Maw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 06:51   Link #608
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Is it just me or is that Izaya's jacket with a very interesting weapon?
At first glance I thought that person was Izaya . . . . but I saw boobs. It can't be. Most likely a different person (she looks like Seiji's sister, or perhaps she's a different person) OR Izaya turned into a girl. I like the Izaya turning into a girl idea. Makes Shizuo x Izaya more shippable for me. Bwahahhahahahahahahah!!!!!!!

Quote:
Speaking of Izaya's interest in Mikado: for now I am hoping, and also assuming, that it is only an initial curiousity after witnessing his naive and self-important behaviour in trying to work himself up to save a girl from bullies,
self-important . . . you mean Mikado? I don't see how he's being self-important in that situation.

Quote:
Weak stupid guys randomly having plot importance is something I don't like seeing in fiction. Call it envy, or distaste for cheap escapism, whichever.
Mikado seems weak for now . . . but I don't see him showing stupidity yet.

Quote:
Izaya stepping on the girl's cell phone would have been more impressive if it seemed like appreciable damage was actually being done to it. As it was, after stomping on it about a dozen times, it just looked like it got a bit scratched up.
The phone looked more damaged in the manga though. Dunno why the anime didn't make it that way.

Quote:
then he just became a lot less GAR. 'Embodiment of violence' my ass, lol.
For me, GAR dudes that go GAR all are usually idiots. So I'm happy that there are times that Shizuo could behave, wahehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm definitely seeing a Jaccuzi Splot thing going on with Mikado's character, so I expect him to (vastly) improve before the anime is over.
Jacuzzi had been a big surprise for me. At first impression I thought he's the annoying whiny coward but he turned out to be adorable and awesome. Looking forward to seeing Mikado show more of the interesting parts of his character~
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 07:02   Link #609
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

I also like to point out that Jacuzzi was much worse than Mikado at beginning of Baccano. He spent the first couple of episodes crying and screaming so much you would wonder how he kept himself together even with Nice.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-01-25 at 07:27.
Old 2010-01-25, 07:52   Link #610
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Sadly, we prob won't see much of Mikado until we at least finish all the character intro. I originally thought arc one would be done by 5, but I guess that's kinda impossible at this rate.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 07:58   Link #611
Battler-kun

Mikado is a wimp right now. But i guess he will change.

Izaya is just awesome, definitely. And i am glad he is the same age as me.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 08:14   Link #612
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Sadly, we prob won't see much of Mikado until we at least finish all the character intro. I originally thought arc one would be done by 5, but I guess that's kinda impossible at this rate.
I'm fine with not knowing much about Mikado, i mean it's still early on, and i can tell there's still a lot more we must learn about these characters and their development before such an event.

Plus we have 24 episodes going by the DVD count, so plenty of time.
Old 2010-01-25, 10:43   Link #613
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

Plus we have 24 episodes going by the DVD count, so plenty of time.
Really I thought this was only gonna be 12-13? ANN currently only lists 12 titles (not that it means anything) but I have yet to find a site that lists more then 12 total epis.

On the subject of Mikado/Jacuzzi, I really have no opinion on Mikado so far and I think thats how its meant to be. Aside from his intro in epi 1 we're seeing more of the people around him. Jacuzzi annoyed me from the very start and just like Sol Falling, I didnt start to like him til Baccano was nearly over XD Mikado we'll have to see but right now he's nothing special but he doesnt annoy me either.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 11:00   Link #614
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Really I thought this was only gonna be 12-13? ANN currently only lists 12 titles (not that it means anything) but I have yet to find a site that lists more then 12 total epis.
DVDs are confirmed to be 13 volumes by Animate Online Shop~ Moreover one of the news in the site puts this into "planned to air 24 episodes" in one of the airing schedule news.

So yeah, 2 cours confirmed~

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 13:02   Link #615
Lightseeker

Apparently, the wikipedia article contain some spoilers, they revealed the actual identity of those online chatters.
Lightseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 13:25   Link #616
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseeker View Post
Apparently, the wikipedia article contain some spoilers, they revealed the actual identity of those online chatters.
Yeah, for a series that has almost translations there are a heck of a lot of spoilers floating around. I got spoiled on a whole number of things on deviantArt today....
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 13:30   Link #617
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseeker View Post
A lot significant plot information from what friend of mine who's read some of the novels has told me.
Old 2010-01-25, 13:51   Link #618
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Yeah, for a series that has almost translations there are a heck of a lot of spoilers floating around. I got spoiled on a whole number of things on deviantArt today....
The worst place for spoilers, easily would be pixiv.
Old 2010-01-25, 13:56   Link #619
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The worst place for spoilers, easily would be pixiv.
Which is why I stay away from that as well as wiki. DA wouldnt be a place Id think for spoilers but I can see how theyd end up there.

Personally though I know people like being spoiled I like the idea of trying to come up with who's in the chat and who are Dollar members, makes it more fun.

Btw Shiro, love your quote.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 13:57   Link #620
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Btw Shiro, love your quote.
:3

I perfer to enjoy this series a lot more without spoilers, because like you said it's fun trying to work out things on our own. Still i love looking up fanart, so it makes browsing pixiv painful.

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, mystery, shounen