AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 5 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 27.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 32.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.50%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-06, 03:26   Link #61
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Idealism is the worst thing you can bring to a goddamn firefight. War was never humane to begin with, to think that it possessed any and to look for one is just naive foolishness. People will always die, either on one side or both, and you can't escape this fact. You'll end up losing more lives when you use the time you don't have to weigh the morality of your choices, when in fact a quick decision on what to do will more often than not lessen casualties on both sides.

Either you man it up and choose the best course of action, or you hesitate and watch EVERYBODY die. I think the choice is obvious.
Old 2009-07-06, 04:05   Link #62
blewin

Pretty cool episode. We're finally seeing the team at a dilemma as they face the harsh decisions they've to make in war. I get annoyed at Alicia for relying on Welkin all the time and expecting him to produce solutions to difficult situations. Here's hoping that Alicia will grow up at some point.... though I really doubt it.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-07-06, 06:29   Link #63
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Excellent episode! Got my hopes up for the anime again.

This is finally WAR, in its gory ugliness. "Emo teens in uniforms" show was getting tiring.
I liked the OP (know the game too anyways), and I hope it won't betray my expectations on how the show will turn out.

Could have done without the corny Faldio lying on alicia scene though.
Old 2009-07-06, 08:14   Link #64
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

I am still upset over this new OP. How could they do that!? Agh!
Old 2009-07-06, 08:24   Link #65
justavisitor

as I said, treat it as the new gundam...you know in most gundam show they show the new gundam in the 2nd OP and 99% at the moment the gundam 2nd OP airs for the first time, the new gundam is not formally introduced yet...I know there are some differences, but try to think like that if it lets you feel better XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-07-06, 08:53   Link #66
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

That's different though. Its just a mobile suit we all knew would appear and it wasn't as tied to the plot as this. Bah! I'll get over it eventually.
Old 2009-07-06, 09:27   Link #67
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That's different though. Its just a mobile suit we all knew would appear and it wasn't as tied to the plot as this. Bah! I'll get over it eventually.
I agree with this.

A new mobile suit is just part of the Gundam formula. It happens. We all know it's going to happen the second we start watching the first episode.

But this is a MAJOR plot development for VC. HUGE. Something that when it finally was revealed in the game, despite getting hints of it, you went, "Wow. "

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-06, 09:54   Link #68
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

The OP is full of a kickassness but damn it! Spoiler much?! Gahhh!!!
Old 2009-07-06, 10:07   Link #69
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
I've already played the game so the spoiler in the OP didn't really bother me. I think HOW Alicia becomes a Valkyria is a much bigger spoiler but I won't discuss game spoilers here. The song from the 1st OP was better but the animation looked great in the 2nd OP. Shows how amazing the battle scenes could look, but as mentioned several times, the anime won't focus on battles as much as the game.

OP aside, what surprised me was Zaka's crazy knife throwing skills. Even more surprising was that they showed the knife hitting the soldier right in the throat.

As for Faldio's heroic dive to save Alicia, I'm assuming he saw the sniper ahead of time so why didn't he just shoot him? It only took Welkin 2 shots so I'm sure Faldio could have done it. Instead he yells Alicia's name to make her stop running so that he can tackle her.
Whaaaat? Alicia a Valkyria? That worthless Alicia? Noooo waaaayyy? O_o
Old 2009-07-06, 11:10   Link #70
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
as I said, treat it as the new gundam...you know in most gundam show they show the new gundam in the 2nd OP and 99% at the moment the gundam 2nd OP airs for the first time, the new gundam is not formally introduced yet...I know there are some differences, but try to think like that if it lets you feel better XD
She's a woman not a machine mon.

Quote:
I get annoyed at Alicia for relying on Welkin all the time and expecting him to produce solutions to difficult situations. Here's hoping that Alicia will grow up at some point.... though I really doubt it.
Well going by his track record he always came up with a solution to make the impossible possible...
Old 2009-07-06, 11:49   Link #71
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch this episoed :

LOl Opening spoil damn :

Spoiler for Op spoil -_-:

Good episode . Poor darcsens .

Rosie finally (well , not completely ) open her eyes over the darcsens . But it seems that another discussion about "Darcsens i can't forgive them etc .... " in the next episode .
Well , faldio get a point , he save Alicia but sorry she's in love with Welkin

I have thinking :
Gallia = Tactic
Empire = Power
Old 2009-07-06, 11:50   Link #72
Runty

Wow, Gleam releases its subs FAST.
Spoiler for Episode 14, subbed:
Due to there being mostly action in this episode, there's not too much to talk about. The subs help, but only so much.

For the preview, however, they give an interesting title. Looks like there's gonna be another Rosie-centric plotline, probably involving Isara.
Old 2009-07-06, 13:21   Link #73
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
For the preview, however, they give an interesting title. Looks like there's gonna be another Rosie-centric plotline, probably involving Isara.

I hope so. They've been doing a good job with building up Rosie's character development in recent episodes, which is very much needed for what should be coming up soon in the show.

I can't help but feel Largo isn't getting enough attention.
Old 2009-07-06, 13:43   Link #74
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Idealism is the worst thing you can bring to a goddamn firefight. War was never humane to begin with, to think that it possessed any and to look for one is just naive foolishness. People will always die, either on one side or both, and you can't escape this fact. You'll end up losing more lives when you use the time you don't have to weigh the morality of your choices, when in fact a quick decision on what to do will more often than not lessen casualties on both sides.

Either you man it up and choose the best course of action, or you hesitate and watch EVERYBODY die. I think the choice is obvious.
I completely agree with you. Anyone who goes into battle armed with idealism alone will be making a sad one way trip. Get it done or dont get it done those are your options if you cant get it done get hell out of someone elses line of fire and let them take the shot.
Old 2009-07-06, 13:44   Link #75
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heh. This new opening shows once again the reason why I avoid anime openings like the plague until they change. Talk about spoilers.

I'm a bit surprised people are actually grumbling about this, isn't it common knowledge that the openings of virtually any anime are riddled with spoilers?

That said this was a great episode. A lot of emotional baggage got thrown on the squad, since the blood of the Darcsens is technically on their hands. Curious to see how they'll deal with it.

I do not, however, agree with the sentiment that idealism must be abandoned on the battlefield. While I do agree that sometimes tough decisions have to be made, and I do agree that Faldio's decision in this case was the best one, there is nothing wrong with working to minimize the civilian casualties.

For example, just yesterday I was watching a WWII documentary about the sabotaging of a German facility where they were producing heavy water for an atomic bomb. At one point they decided that sabotaging the facility was too risky, so they had to bomb it. They timed the bombing to coincide with the civilian workers lunchbreak (which was held in the underground bunker) to minimize casualties. In the end, a number of civilians did die, but it was a low number (five, from the top of my head) where it could have run in the dozens.

A small thing, and yet it saved so many lives. If that is idealism then call me an idealist.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-07-06 at 15:01.
Old 2009-07-06, 14:24   Link #76
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

But it has long been revealed that Alicia has a crazy regenerative ability. It should be common sense that she is a Valkyria. XD What spoiler?

Perfect 10 again because of Faldio. I disapprove of all criticisms towards him. Shame on you. Welkin should be happy Faldio took the burden for him. Faldio ftw.
Old 2009-07-06, 15:34   Link #77
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Pretty cool episode. We're finally seeing the team at a dilemma as they face the harsh decisions they've to make in war. I get annoyed at Alicia for relying on Welkin all the time and expecting him to produce solutions to difficult situations. Here's hoping that Alicia will grow up at some point.... though I really doubt it.

well that is what welkin is supposed to do

Welkin did a great job doing so in the game...not so much in the anime...bah..
Old 2009-07-06, 15:59   Link #78
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

To be fair, the game didn't exactly throw choices like this in his face.
Old 2009-07-06, 16:50   Link #79
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

When Rosie said "I won't forgive you", was she referring to the Darcsens or the Imperial Army?
Old 2009-07-06, 16:55   Link #80
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
When Rosie said "I won't forgive you", was she referring to the Darcsens or the Imperial Army?
At the end? Imperial Army.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Closed Thread