AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-07-06, 08:39   Link #1
anti-sasuke brigade

monitor is not displaying dont know problem

asus p5e mobo
q6600 (CPU)
2x1gig RAM 800
8800 gtx graphic card

problem: nothing is displaying on monitor when boot up

what i know: asus p5e dont know if its working cause it was given to me, was told it is working but really unsure cause never use it
q6600 recently brought second hand unsure if its working
RAM it is working
8800 gtx it is working
monitor is working cause i tried it on my dads comp

if need more information just ask thanks

Last edited by anti-sasuke brigade; 2009-07-06 at 08:40. Reason: additional information
anti-sasuke brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 08:49   Link #2
Justin Kim
*Artist

When you boot up the computer, does the monitor go on? Or do you have to manually press the power button on the moniter to activate it? If the moniter goes on, when you activate it along with the computer, does the windows loading screen show up? Because if it does, I am sure you can adjust your moniter's settings via "Boot Menu." IF that isn't the case, then I reccomend you contact the person that gave you that monitor, and ask him or her whether if they experienced any problems. It could be that your desktop may not be compatible with a monitor that was adjusted to another user's settings. Perhaps the adjustments were made with the previous computer owner to be suited for his or her's specifications.
Old 2009-07-06, 09:34   Link #3
anti-sasuke brigade

hi there yes when i boot my computer up it turn the monitor on but it just stay blank and turn off after 5 seconds cause nothing is showing up, both my dads and my monitor i tried them both same thing happen
hope i answer your question thanks
Old 2009-07-06, 09:36   Link #4
Saleh
Inactive

You may also want to check your motherboard, graphic adapter (or get it checked) for hardware issues, presuming that your monitor is fine.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 09:41   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Strange. It could be the refresh settings on that monitor and apparently the graphics card had its refresh frequency set at a rate that cannot be recognized by the monitor. Was it a CRT or an LCD display?

Try having a graphic card swap and see what happens. It's one way to determine if there's anything else is wrong.
Old 2009-07-07, 02:10   Link #6
anti-sasuke brigade

additional information

no POST beep
light on the motherboard bottom right IS on
the heat sink for CPU, currently using my older p4 heat sink(does it matter which you use?)

my question can it be CPU problem or motherboard? how can i check?

Last edited by anti-sasuke brigade; 2009-07-07 at 02:22. Reason: additional information
Old 2009-07-07, 07:42   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-sasuke brigade View Post
no POST beep
That's bad. Figure out what BIOS your motherboard uses (Google your motherboard, look around) and look in websites like this to figure out what the lack of beeping means to you.

I'm guessing your motherboard for now.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 11:21   Link #8
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Lack of a POST beep is pretty universal. Basically, your system is running into trouble before it even attempts to load the system. This is caused by hardware failure, either on the part of the motherboard, or some device plugged into it.

First, try clearing your CMOS, either by moving the CMOS jumper one pin over (your motherboard manual should tell you where this is), or just by popping the battery out for a minute (it's a big silver thing the size of a nickle, easy to spot).

If that doesn't work, assume component failure before condemning the motherboard. Try removing all your RAM and seeing if it will at least give you a "no RAM" beep code.

If you're still out of luck, put your RAM back in, and then basically you can just start disconnecting different devices, starting with your hard drives, and working your way through to your graphics card and expansion cards, and even the CPU if all else fails. If you still don't at least get some trouble codes, you could try clearing the CMOS again just to make sure.

If disconnecting any of the devices results in a proper POST, or even a trouble code beep sequence, then odds are you've found the device that is giving you problems. Either pop in a spare, or borrow one from somebody if you can and see if the system will load properly with the known-good device.

It can be a tedious procedure, but since it's not even giving you a trouble code to point you in the right direction, it just makes it that much more difficult to find the solution.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 03:20   Link #9
anti-sasuke brigade

update
i pop the battery and leave it out for 1 hour, then put it back in still nothing happen
i took out my CPU and heatsink(CPU) *note* harddrive, video card and etc still connected at this stage. turn on my computer, still no POST beep and monitor still blank.

what i want to know is, does it mean it is not my CPU causing the problem cause i recently brought it, and i wont be able to return it if its the problem
Old 2009-07-08, 03:45   Link #10
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Let's backtrack a bit, just to get it out of the way.

Quote:
asus p5e mobo
q6600 (CPU)
2x1gig RAM 800
8800 gtx graphic card

problem: nothing is displaying on monitor when boot up

what i know: asus p5e dont know if its working cause it was given to me, was told it is working but really unsure cause never use it
q6600 recently brought second hand unsure if its working
RAM it is working
8800 gtx it is working
monitor is working cause i tried it on my dads comp

if need more information just ask thanks
Quote:
hi there yes when i boot my computer up it turn the monitor on but it just stay blank and turn off after 5 seconds cause nothing is showing up, both my dads and my monitor i tried them both same thing happen
hope i answer your question thanks
Just to clarify, did you test your 8800 gtx card on another pc?
Old 2009-07-08, 04:21   Link #11
anti-sasuke brigade

yes i tested on my friend PC, cause my dad computer doesnt have a PCIe slot.
i would like to trial and error, as in swapping parts with my friends computer to see what is working and what is not but he told me to *beep* off.

he only allowed me to throw my graphic card in only *sob*

Last edited by anti-sasuke brigade; 2009-07-08 at 04:26. Reason: typos
Old 2009-07-08, 04:55   Link #12
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
I know this might be a dumb question but is there a speaker attached to that motherboard since that might explain the lack of POST beeps.

Also you haven't mentioned what PSU your using since that might be causing problems (either not supplying enough power to the GPU or anything else I can think of but can't be bothered to list).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 07:46   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Does the motherboard have integrated video? If so, what happens when you connect the monitor to that port instead of your graphics card? Sometimes the BIOS doesn't properly detect the card and reverts to the on-board video. If this is the problem, you might be able to fix this with a BIOS setting.
Old 2009-07-08, 08:43   Link #14
Justin Kim
*Artist

I mean he recently bought that monitor, so it could be the monitor's fault instead for not adjusting itself towards the computer. Unless the motherboard isn't regulating the data properly when it is booting up.
Old 2009-07-08, 21:24   Link #15
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It would be pretty hard to find a monitor that was to blame for not letting the motherboard POST. I mean, the thing should work without a display anyways (sometimes not without a keyboard, so stupid suggestion: check it's attached).

If it's not POSTing, either the motherboard is really (*REALLY*) crappy and doesn't feature beep codes, or the ROM or other essential motherboard hardware is toasted (ROM should be replaceable, I guess? With some luck and money, of course). If it doesn't feature beep codes, then you'll have to check your whole installation to see if anything's wrong (loosely attached hardware, that sort of stuff).

Quote:
I know this might be a dumb question but is there a speaker attached to that motherboard since that might explain the lack of POST beeps.
All mobos I've seen in my life beeped from an internal speaker. I don't even think the BIOS has the capability to speak to a sound card other than to check it's there.

By the way:

Quote:
My money's on the thing being toasted.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 04:29   Link #16
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
All mobos I've seen in my life beeped from an internal speaker.
Actually all modern motherboards don't come with an internal speaker since my asus M2N-MX didn't have a speaker but did have connections for a speaker which is why I questioned the speaker to begin with since there might not even be one there to produce any beep codes.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:01   Link #17
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Yeah, that's actually a good point. My most recent two motherboards did not have an internal speaker, come to think of it. Instead, they came with a little speaker designed to attach to a jumper on the board.

Either way, though, there is something else you could try to see if you get video. Instead of using the PCI-E slots, you could try digging up an ancient PCI graphics card and stuffing in there. If it powers up and you get video with a PCI card, then you know that your PCI-E slot(s) or your northbridge is hosed.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 17:34   Link #18
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
It seems that the asus p5e mobo does not have intergrated video... so plugging that is out of the question.

but that motherboard have 2 PCI Express 16 slots, so I suggest taking out the graphics card and put it on the 2nd PCI Express 16 slot. If it works, one of your PCI Express 16 slot is broken.... if not, it can be your graphics card.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:29   Link #19
anti-sasuke brigade

ok, i brought my computer into a computer store to repair they told me its my CPU, god i just purchase the CPU aswel><

what i want to know is why when i took out my CPU(including heatsink) from my motherboard it doesnt say CPU missing or anything like that on the monitor that is

by the way the guy that check my computer seem a bit shabby dont trust him at all

any suggestion what is my next step as im really down at the moment dont know what to do

Last edited by anti-sasuke brigade; 2009-07-10 at 21:30. Reason: additional information
Old 2009-07-11, 00:24   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'm still betting on the mobo.

Have you tried another motherboard?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote