AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-14, 22:26   Link #22881
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
The fantasy scenes were added by Tohya and Ikuko later
Citation needed.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 22:36   Link #22882
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Citation needed.
All of EP2, specifically the parts where Meta-Battler never reacts to any of the fantasy scenes as they happen, even though he does in later episodes. At the end of the game the story even makes a point of having Beatrice go back over events with Battler and fill in the fantasy scenes for him.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 22:36   Link #22883
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I thought Van Dine's 20th is more about avoiding cliches than the specific ones mentioned; a more modern version might mention "The Enhance Button" or DNA evidence.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 22:44   Link #22884
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
All of EP2, specifically the parts where Meta-Battler never reacts to any of the fantasy scenes as they happen, even though he does in later episodes. At the end of the game the story even makes a point of having Beatrice go back over events with Battler and fill in the fantasy scenes for him.
Ha ha that's not indicative of ANYTHING, considering that if they did any tamperings with the texts than they certainly inserted the Meta-World as well. And if the Meta-World is a transcendental plane instead of a narrative construct, then why doesn't Battler react to it when it's right there? If he can't interact with a future edit of an earlier work how can he react to future entries written by those same people?

Basically your idea is unsupported and ill-thoughtout, and Battler's only saving his reactions because of scope of scale. A sword-fight going on in a bedroom is a lot different from fucking giants and golems and god-warriors and towers rising out of the ground and stuff.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 22:46   Link #22885
Sherringford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
I thought Van Dine's 20th is more about avoiding cliches than the specific ones mentioned; a more modern version might mention "The Enhance Button" or DNA evidence.
Every time someone mentions the enhance button, I remember...this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoM5kfZIQ0
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 23:04   Link #22886
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Ha ha that's not indicative of ANYTHING, considering that if they did any tamperings with the texts than they certainly inserted the Meta-World as well. And if the Meta-World is a transcendental plane instead of a narrative construct
...When did I say anything like that? If you're going to mock my argument, at least mock the argument I actually made. What I basically meant was that the final narrative was constructed something like this:

1. Yasu wrote the original mystery, which contained no fantasy scenes
2. Tohya read the message bottle and argued about it with Ikuko, which formed the basis for the meta world narrative in the main game
3. Ikuko invented a fantasy explanation for what happened and wove it into the story
4. Tohya read the fantasy scenes and reacted to them, forming the basis for the tea party narratives

We read the scenes in storywise chronological order, but they weren't actually written in that order.

I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that Battler would have a massive freakout at the magical fight in EP3, but he wouldn't even bat an eye at hordes of goat butlers, stake girls teleporting through doors, and his own piece being eaten alive. Not even a lecherous comment about the stakes' outfits, seriously?
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 23:32   Link #22887
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that Battler would have a massive freakout at the magical fight in EP3, but he wouldn't even bat an eye at hordes of goat butlers, stake girls teleporting through doors, and his own piece being eaten alive. Not even a lecherous comment about the stakes' outfits, seriously?
That way you are basically saying that the bad writer is Ikuko for creating a temporal inconsistency between EP2 and EP3.
You are making it worse.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 23:49   Link #22888
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That way you are basically saying that the bad writer is Ikuko for creating a temporal inconsistency between EP2 and EP3.
You are making it worse.
If she's writing about Tohya's interaction with the mystery, I don't understand why preserving his original reactions while presenting the full narrative chronologically for the reader's sake is somehow bad writing. Would you be happier if the fantasies were presented as flashbacks at the moment Beatrice told Battler about them in the endgame?
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 23:55   Link #22889
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
The thing is that Tohya does all the writings, not Ikuko. She just publishes.

The most likely explanation for why Battler doesn't react so much is because he's still focused on trying to solve the actual mysteries. It's not until after he gives up once and redefines his courage that he starts going through the visuals with a fine-comb.

Not to mention you're forgetting Battler's meta-reason for the freakout. It's a response to the Japanese fandom's attitudes.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 00:13   Link #22890
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
If she's writing about Tohya's interaction with the mystery, I don't understand why preserving his original reactions while presenting the full narrative chronologically for the reader's sake is somehow bad writing. Would you be happier if the fantasies were presented as flashbacks at the moment Beatrice told Battler about them in the endgame?
That's bad writing if you write something that doesn't make sense inside the story and requires the reader to know what happened in the "backstage" to understand it.

Inside the stories, the fictional stories, even in the metaworld the third game happens after the second. Therefore if you say that it doesn't make sense for MetaBattler to be surprised in EP3 while it wasn't in EP2 then there's an inconsistency. Tohya doesn't exist inside those stories, you can't use him as an explanation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The thing is that Tohya does all the writings, not Ikuko. She just publishes.
That's not how I got it. Tohya comes up with the ideas and Ikuko writes, that means that she does all the stylistic part and narrations and so on, being a more experinece writer than Battler. But nowhere it is said that she never inserted a few ideas of her own, and I would be surprised if she didn't actually.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 00:24   Link #22891
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That's bad writing if you write something that doesn't make sense inside the story and requires the reader to know what happened in the "backstage" to understand it.

Inside the stories, the fictional stories, even in the metaworld the third game happens after the second. Therefore if you say that it doesn't make sense for MetaBattler to be surprised in EP3 while it wasn't in EP2 then there's an inconsistency. Tohya doesn't exist inside those stories, you can't use him as an explanation.
Ah, I see your objection now. I think we can resolve it like this though... In EP2, Meta-Battler learned about the fantasy scene contents because Beatrice told him about it. But in EP3, for the first time she actually abused meta-world physics to make him think the fantasy was happening in front of his face. It'd be like the difference between a suspicious person telling you some dubious story about X after the fact and that same person showing you a supposedly live video feed of X.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 00:55   Link #22892
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Eh. It'll do. It's not like it really matters since Meta-characters aren't so much characters as they are literary conceits.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 01:02   Link #22893
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sea of Fragments
Maybe to an extent. On the other hand, too far down that road and you start ignoring the authors again, and I thought that interview with Keiya implied that there was something interesting and non-obvious going on in the meta-narrative. In the same way that we understand Yasu from looking at Shannon and Kanon, we ought to be able to learn something about Tohya and Ikuko by observing Battler and Beatrice.
__________________
"Something has fallen on us that falls very seldom on men; perhaps the worst thing that can fall on them. We have found the truth; and the truth makes no sense."
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 01:17   Link #22894
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I'm just saying that first and foremost the meta-characters are framing devices and their thought processes don't really have to make sense so long as it gives the illusion of doing so. Battler arguing with the person he thinks doesn't exist? Handwaved away because he represents the skeptical reader and he has to argue with his imaginary opponent so he can present his viewpoint without talking to himself.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 04:13   Link #22895
haguruma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That way you are basically saying that the bad writer is Ikuko for creating a temporal inconsistency between EP2 and EP3.
You are making it worse.
I have a whole other conception with the structure between reality, text and meta-world than most people here it seems...I don't know how far it's different from what people said already, but I'll try.

The way I see it, EP1 is the only version of the "message bottles", be it those by Yasu or Tya, that we ever get to read. Everything else from EP2 until 6 is Battler's thought process about it.
But I'll put my analysis for that in spoilers because it's so damn long.
Spoiler:


So basically for me it's:
Meta Battler: The Battler in Tya who wants the truth
Meta Beatrice: The love for Yasu in Tya
Beatrice: Yasu's attempt of shouldering the blame
Lambdadelta: The longing to believe in magic
Bernkastel: The longing for truth
Erika: cold reason and logic
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 13:00   Link #22896
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Again, I think it's critical to keep in mind that what we view as the "text" of the individual episodes may not be strictly identical to the actual contents of the message bottles and/or Tohya's fiction. It's possible, albeit perhaps unlikely, that every episode reads like Legend, with only implied magical occurrences (though the reverse is also possible, Legend could've been different).

And even if in any particular episode the magic scenes do appear, there's many things we can't be sure actually do appear, such as:
  • The meta-world.
  • Any effect the meta-world purports to have on the game (Meta-Beatrice's commentary, Meta-Battler's reasoning, Lambda and Bern's meddling, premature pausing of the game in ep5, Erika's "disruption" of the narrative in ep6).
  • Any scene involving Ange, whether it purports to be "real" or not.
  • Anything involving Will and Lion, even with any meta-elements filtered out of Lion's existence.
  • Anything related to Zepar and Furfur.
  • Most of Requiem.
Could some of these things actually be in the notes/stories as written? Maybe, I don't know. I have to think at least some of them aren't, though, which means we're handed the episodes as pre-interpreted meta-fictional constructs. To that effect, we have no idea how much editing has happened before we got what we're reading.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 14:09   Link #22897
Swigun
Ars Magica Translator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
YOU START PULLING OUT LETTERS IN A CHURCH WHERE THE GROUND OPENS UP AND LEADS TO A PILE OF GOLD.
This was hinted in Ep5. Erika and Battler pulling out "things" XD

For Taiwan, it didn't give clue at all, except for Areca Nut.
Basically, if you search on Wikia "Areca Nut" you obtain a lot of places. But if you also search "Ayu", Taiwan is the only place for both of them.
__________________
Swigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 14:09   Link #22898
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
what we view as the "text" of the individual episodes may not be strictly identical to the actual contents of the message bottles and/or Tohya's fiction
If it was identical to the actual content it would be a major mindfuck. Personally I think this story would make a lot more sense if it was said straight out that no metaworld scenes exist in the messages and the forgeries alltogether. Unfortunately there are hints that metaworld scenes were actually narrated, and it makes all more complicated.

In the beginning (EP1) it seemed like the messages narrated stories from Maria's perspective and were written like a diary describing scenes in first person. But then it doesn't make any sense for her to write about the metaworld considering how rarely she shows up there.

I still can't find a certain explanation for what concern the 18 persons that were killed in the first two stories. It was hinted pretty well that they couldn't possibly have been written in a few days, so it would be incredibly strange if Ange wasn't there.

Quote:
For Taiwan, it didn't give clue at all, except for Areca Nut.
Basically, if you search on Wikia "Areca Nut" you obtain a lot of places. But if you also search "Ayu", Taiwan is the only place for both of them.
Actually Oliver proved that you could get to Taiwan from the text shown in EP3 alone.
Unfortunately the most vital part was initially minstraslated and corrected only after EP5, so for the english readers it was impossible to understand it until then. It was a very ambiguous text and probably most japanese misunderstood it too.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 14:18   Link #22899
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
If it was identical to the actual content it would be a major mindfuck. Personally I think this story would make a lot more sense if it was said straight out that no metaworld scenes exist in the messages and the forgeries alltogether. Unfortunately there are hints that metaworld scenes were actually narrated, and it makes all more complicated.
Being a fan of mindfucks, I'm of the opinion that the Meta-World scenes are in the text. Because why not, really?
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 15:11   Link #22900
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If it was identical to the actual content it would be a major mindfuck. Personally I think this story would make a lot more sense if it was said straight out that no metaworld scenes exist in the messages and the forgeries alltogether. Unfortunately there are hints that metaworld scenes were actually narrated, and it makes all more complicated.
Whether a scene is narrated is irrelevant. I can write a book called "Joe Reads The Brothers Karamazov" and contain, within the text of my story, the full text of The Brothers Karamazov, but broken up, interpreted, with scenes narrated by a guy named Joe who is reading the book word for word and going through his daily life at the same time.

Now, is this book The Brothers Karamazov? No, of course it isn't. It happens to have all of the text in The Brothers Karamazov in it, but it isn't The Brothers Karamazov. It's some other book. It has to be read with that in mind.

Likewise, is ep4 Hachijou Tohya's Alliance of the Golden Witch? No, at least not as far as we know. It might contain every word actually written by Hachijou Tohya on the subject. It might not; I think Hachijou Tohya's End of the Golden Witch and Dawn of the Golden Witch almost certainly contained text we do not ever see in Umineko ep5/6. As to what the actual text is of, say, "Ushiromiya Maria"'s Legend of the Golden Witch... well, we can't be sure. Maybe it's a 1:1 transcription of every word in ep1 other than the Tea Party. Maybe it includes the Tea Party. Maybe it doesn't.

Pretty much the sole authoritative answer would be if an individual in the "real world" (assuming we've ever seen R-Prime, that is) references something from the text that they'd only know about if the thing were actually in the text. If a guy says "this is just like the magical debate between Battler-san and Beatrice!" then we have to accept that somehow the meta-world is in the text somehow. To my knowledge, that's never been said. We do know from the TIPS that Erika is present in the text, because it's suggested that her existence as a character is because of speculation that she could have existed on Rokkenjima. That doesn't mean Meta-Erika is, but at the very least it seems Piece-Erika is.

The "magic" scenes are the ones that are up in the air. When the endscroll mentions the strange magic rituals, are they talking about the stakings and magic circles and other bizarre but not overtly magical occurrences in Legend, or are they talking about Kanon fighting a goat butler with a laser sword like in Turn? If it's the former, there's no proof the magic scenes happen in any episode. If it's the latter, we have to believe the magic scenes are also part of the original text.

But I don't think that information is conclusively present.
Quote:
Actually Oliver proved that you could get to Taiwan from the text shown in EP3 alone.
Unfortunately the most vital part was initially minstraslated and corrected only after EP5, so for the english readers it was impossible to understand it until then. It was a very ambiguous text and probably most japanese misunderstood it too.
I seem to recall you providing a writeup of the Taiwan theory that was 99% understandable strictly through English information well before ep5 came out.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.