AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-28, 02:07   Link #32161
HoroBoro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Hello good people. I've come here in search of something to un-muck my mind. So after reading the translated transcript of "Answers to the Golden Witch" I guess it's set in stone by the voice of god that Kannon = Shannon.

This does not sit right with me, as:

1. I hate to see Kannon reduced to a personality.
2. How does one pretend to be two people to at least 7+ people for years on end?
3. KaNNON ShaNNON... I mean... Come on... Right?

As well as a number of other concerns that I have which I'm too mind-screwed to find and list right now.

So what I'm seeking is:

1. Comfort that, neigh, perhaps even proof that Ryukishi07 was high during the interview or the translation leaves room for interpretation.
2. Barring that, Skannon!=Beatrice.
3. Barring that, a good psychiatrist in the west bay area that has read Umineko.
HoroBoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 02:20   Link #32162
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Dude, Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice are the same person, get over it.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 02:40   Link #32163
Drifloon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
There are a number of interpretations that don't require Yasu to have actually acted the part of two different people in the real world, though.

But yes, it is pretty hard to argue against the fact that Shannon and Kanon are two aspects of a single person's psyche, although a certain nine hour Youtube video does exist.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 03:08   Link #32164
Wanderer
Goat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gnawing away at Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
1. I hate to see Kannon reduced to a personality.
Yasu felt that way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
2. How does one pretend to be two people to at least 7+ people for years on end?
Kanon didn't appear until 1984- after Yasu became the heir. By then Yasu had complete control over servant shifts and such, including whether Kanon or Shannon were even scheduled to be on the island at the same time (servants rotated between Fukuin and Rokkenjima). Also Genji/Kumasawa/Nanjo would be covering for her.

And we don't even know if she role-played Kanon in front of outsiders much at all, aside from October 1986.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
3. KaNNON ShaNNON... I mean... Come on... Right?
Shannon's name in kanji is 紗音 and Kanon's name is 嘉音. The kanji "音" is traditionally part of all fukuin servants' "blessed" names, so although the similarity in their names is artificial, it's explained and isn't any particular hint that they are the same person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
although a certain nine hour Youtube video does exist.
Although KnownNoMore hasn't touched the comments on his Umineko videos in months, despite being busy with his usual atheism videos. He may have given up...
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 03:50   Link #32165
HoroBoro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Well thanks for the feedback. I have read and attempted to internalize.

I still think it's rather convenient for Shannon to = Kanon = Beatrice as it would resolve a lot of issues like the logic error, the final red truths with Erika, all of episode 6, actually. Willard's hints, the linked closed room, Kanon returning from the dead... etc...

But then, it seems to throw some common sense stuff out the window. Like for instance:

1. Hide voice/secondary sexual characteristics for 3 years from Jessica, Natsumi and Krauss too? Also, hasn't anyone noticed during the conferences at 84 and 85 - hey, when Kannon is here, Shannon is not...

2. While planning to hide Kinzo's body... Did Genji just say - "Yea - I'll let Kanon know not to tell everyone too." And how did that even fly with Krauss and Natsumi?

3. When the heads start rolling, how is it that no one (though everyone and their mom suspects the servants) notice that Kanon and Shannon are never at the same place, when it's very important that everyone is accounted for at the same place?

4. How does killing the other love of your life (or if Battler enters the equation, a third love of your life) allow you to find love and live a normal life? Wouldn't that get to you? I mean... Shannon contemplated for years because of Battler's indiscretion, but killing Jessica who whole heartily loves you as a potential girlfriend/friend would not affect her in the slightest? Maybe she didn't think that far ahead, but Shannon seems quite the planner if she's Skannontrice.

5. Yes the servant name thing, but when it was first brought up, I thought it was to mislead (~story 1-3). But then I thought it couldn't be to mislead because, it wouldn't make sense if Kanon was Shannon once I learned more about the background and all the complex and wonderful shipping. And now, to find out that, yes Kanon is Shannon again... With all this other stuff not resolved... Kinda makes me unsatisfied.

6. Perhaps clutching at straws here, but Kanon has black hair. Shannon has brown hair.

7. Perhaps even more vapid: "The servant is crazy and kills everyone" is just a bit lacking in class.

Last edited by HoroBoro; 2013-04-28 at 03:56. Reason: one too many ns
HoroBoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 04:47   Link #32166
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
1. Hide voice/secondary sexual characteristics for 3 years from Jessica, Natsumi and Krauss too? Also, hasn't anyone noticed during the conferences at 84 and 85 - hey, when Kannon is here, Shannon is not...
The reason you cannot believe shkanontrice, is the same reason why Krauss and Natsuhi cannot believe it: It sounds ridiculous. That makes it easy to be not found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
2. While planning to hide Kinzo's body... Did Genji just say - "Yea - I'll let Kanon know not to tell everyone too." And how did that even fly with Krauss and Natsumi?
I am not sure which scene you mean, but if it is after Kinzo's real death, then Krauss and Natsuhi have the intention themselves to hide Kinzo's death. They trust Genji to make sure that no one finds out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
3. When the heads start rolling, how is it that no one (though everyone and their mom suspects the servants) notice that Kanon and Shannon are never at the same place, when it's very important that everyone is accounted for at the same place?
By actively killing one of them off very early. In EP1 Shannon "died" during the first twilight, in EP2 Kanon "died" during the second twilight and in EP3 both of them "died" during the first twilight. We have not enough information to find out in what order everyone died in EP4, because Battler was contained in the guesthouse most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
4. How does killing the other love of your life (or if Battler enters the equation, a third love of your life) allow you to find love and live a normal life? Wouldn't that get to you? I mean... Shannon contemplated for years because of Battler's indiscretion, but killing Jessica who whole heartily loves you as a potential girlfriend/friend would not affect her in the slightest? Maybe she didn't think that far ahead, but Shannon seems quite the planner if she's Skannontrice.
Did you hear of "Prime Theory" yet? It says that aside from all these fictions we saw, there is a "real" Rokkenjima, in which ShKanonTrice is not the murderer and the stories are just her way to deal with her feelings or she is trying to hide the real culprit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
5. Yes the servant name thing, but when it was first brought up, I thought it was to mislead (~story 1-3). But then I thought it couldn't be to mislead because, it wouldn't make sense if Kanon was Shannon once I learned more about the background and all the complex and wonderful shipping. And now, to find out that, yes Kanon is Shannon again... With all this other stuff not resolved... Kinda makes me unsatisfied.
Well then you at least understand how hard it was for ShKanonTrice/Yasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
6. Perhaps clutching at straws here, but Kanon has black hair. Shannon has brown hair.
Shannon's hair is very likely a wig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
7. Perhaps even more vapid: "The servant is crazy and kills everyone" is just a bit lacking in class.
See Prime theory.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 05:18   Link #32167
Wanderer
Goat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gnawing away at Rokkenjima
Greyzone has already covered a lot of this (he posted while I was writing), but I'm just going to post it as is.

1.
Less than two years, actually. Yasu inherited her legacy on Nov 29, 1984. The final conference was on October 5, 1986.

It's hard to tell how many servants are in rotation. The trickiest part to me would be Shannon managing to attend school consistently, which is why I think Kanon probably was not around very much.

2.
Yeah, that's a good point. Explanations are possible, but... would just be made up, really. Again, I doubt Kanon was even around much.

3.
I disagree. For the characters on the boards, the flow of events in each of the individual stories is never really suggestive that Kanon and Shannon are the same person.

4.
Many of us on this forum don't think Yasu is the true culprit, but rather that she vilified herself in her stories for some other reason. It's a longstanding topic of debate.

5.
Yes, many of us doubted ShKanon for a long time in the face of all the clues because we thought it was just too ridiculous.

6.
lawl Ryukishi sprites.

7.
Well, Ryukishi seems to think that his answer is deeper than that. He's said in his interviews that he wrote Umineko with the intent that the answer couldn't just be meme-like copy-pasted; he didn't want anyone to be able to know the answer without reading the whole story. Even Ryukishi's choice of "Yasu" as the character's name is related to this issue:
Spoiler for The Case of the Portopia Serial Killer:
There are people who do fully subscribe to Yasu being the true culprit of "Prime", but also quite a few who don't, including myself.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 06:21   Link #32168
Drifloon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
The trickiest part to me would be Shannon managing to attend school consistently, which is why I think Kanon probably was not around very much.
Actually, I don't think Yasu is even attending school any more by the point that Kanon gets introduced. The guys in that tumblr blog brought up something about this:

I’ve always assumed that Yasu stopped going to school after middle school. Yes, most Japanese kids finish high school, but technically, only middle school is compulsory. This would explain Kanon’s reaction later on when he attends the festival at Jessica’s school.

And it seems to make sense to me. I'm pretty sure they never make any mention of Shannon or Kanon having to go to school during the present day, and it doesn't seem like the stake-maids (who I assume are about the same age?) have to go either, so...
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 07:39   Link #32169
jjblue1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
1. Hide voice/secondary sexual characteristics for 3 years from Jessica, Natsumi and Krauss too? Also, hasn't anyone noticed during the conferences at 84 and 85 - hey, when Kannon is here, Shannon is not...
Ryukishi confirmed Shannon has no breasts. Not all the Ushiromiya servants are on the island at the time of the conference so it's possible in the previous conference it was said that let's say only Kanon was present (the relatives seem to know Kanon so he was around previously).
It's true that EP 7 says Kanon was 'created' 3 years prior to 1986 but we don't know if Yasu began to impersonate him by then or previously he was just a fragment of her imagination (back then she didn't know she was the heir) and only when she became the heir she used her authority over Genji and Co to make him 'real'. Alternatively it could be that Kanon was turned 'real' with the complicity of Krauss and Natsuhi.
Shannon was asked to play the role of a second servant so as to create an extra witness of Kinzo's being alive without involving any further person.
Jessica, who's not always on the island, could have been introduced to 'him' by someone she believed and so have no reason to suspect he's Shannon in disguise.

Anyway, as long as Shannon has enough accomplices, to give life to Kanon isn't that troublesome as it requires to play the part only here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
2. While planning to hide Kinzo's body... Did Genji just say - "Yea - I'll let Kanon know not to tell everyone too." And how did that even fly with Krauss and Natsumi?
That sentence might be a mere fantasy like Natsuhi chatting with Kinzo later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
3. When the heads start rolling, how is it that no one (though everyone and their mom suspects the servants) notice that Kanon and Shannon are never at the same place, when it's very important that everyone is accounted for at the same place?
As someone said because either Shannon or Kanon's head is usually one of the first to roll. Also they have accomplices who'll cover up for them and that usually includes all the servants and at least one couple of adults. In Ep 5 it was basically everyone minus Natsuhi and Erika. And Erika doesn't pay attention to the servants because 'A servant can't be the culprit' and pinning the blame on Natsuhi is something that would please Bern more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
4. How does killing the other love of your life (or if Battler enters the equation, a third love of your life) allow you to find love and live a normal life? Wouldn't that get to you? I mean... Shannon contemplated for years because of Battler's indiscretion, but killing Jessica who whole heartily loves you as a potential girlfriend/friend would not affect her in the slightest? Maybe she didn't think that far ahead, but Shannon seems quite the planner if she's Skannontrice.
My explanation is that all the episodes are nothing else but tales she wrote, possibly scenaries for a game she planned to play with Battler and that, at best, she only planned to kill herself in Prime only something went wrong (Ryukishi implied that the adults likely messed up) and we had the Rokkenjima tragedy.

However you've to consider that Yasu is not female (Ryukishi had recently strongly implied she was originally male) but, due to the incident lacks male parts also. And from the dialogues of Beato a strong side of her seems to believe Jessica and George wants her for sex and the babies.
As she likely has no male organs she can't really give this to Jessica and has she likely has no t the ability to make a baby she can't give heirs to George either.
Of course if she were to tell them the truth they could accept her just the same but I guess she's scared about it.

Ryukishi somewhere implied that her situation pushed her to madness and to believe that a love suicide would be the perfect solution. If a side of her really believed that, once everyone was dead, they'll all be happy, killing them wouldn't seem so bad.

I still prefer to think that's the motive for the Yasu of the gameboard and that Prime Yasu didn't think so but you can apply it to her as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
5. Yes the servant name thing, but when it was first brought up, I thought it was to mislead (~story 1-3). But then I thought it couldn't be to mislead because, it wouldn't make sense if Kanon was Shannon once I learned more about the background and all the complex and wonderful shipping. And now, to find out that, yes Kanon is Shannon again... With all this other stuff not resolved... Kinda makes me unsatisfied.
You aren't the only one who's unsatisfied by the ShKanon solution. Sadly that one is the solution so there's not much else to do. If you create another on your own you're just creating an AU, not solving Umineko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
6. Perhaps clutching at straws here, but Kanon has black hair. Shannon has brown hair.
Yes, the stuff about the different hair colour is annoying as hell but as hair colour isn't trustworthy in Umineko (as many characters should have dyed their hair to get such hair colours) maybe you aren't supposed to take it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
7. Perhaps even more vapid: "The servant is crazy and kills everyone" is just a bit lacking in class.
In Ryukishi's plans it's more: the illegitimate, incestuous son of Kinzo, who lost his mother early, wasn't recognized at first by his father, was rejected and tossed down of a cliff by his stepmother, lost his sexual organs and was turned into someone from the opposite sex and with no good health in his first years of life by the fall, was placed in a orphanage and then turned into a servant to a very early age, grew up introverted, relied too much on an imaginary world and failed to feel loved, had his first love turning out into an apparent fail, discovered all the truth about himself as well as the fact his father might have forced himself upon his mother and that the servants feared he might do the same to him, saw said father die, realized his relation with George would have serious problems as he actually wasn't the girl George dreamed would give him many babies and decided 'what's enough is enough' and snapped.

As far as I'm involved this one, more than not classy, seems a bit absurd as, with the aim to make Yasu's situation as dramatic as possible it piles up on him tons of stuffs some of which look hardly believable or seem the result of people acting in a completely irrational way but yes, when you think he went through all this, he might have snapped in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
Actually, I don't think Yasu is even attending school any more by the point that Kanon gets introduced. The guys in that tumblr blog brought up something about this:

I’ve always assumed that Yasu stopped going to school after middle school. Yes, most Japanese kids finish high school, but technically, only middle school is compulsory. This would explain Kanon’s reaction later on when he attends the festival at Jessica’s school.

And it seems to make sense to me. I'm pretty sure they never make any mention of Shannon or Kanon having to go to school during the present day, and it doesn't seem like the stake-maids (who I assume are about the same age?) have to go either, so...
Eva however pointed out something about the Ushiromiya allowing Shannon to get school education which should imply she went further than compulsory school...
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:32   Link #32170
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Here is the actual text reference on that point:

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Spoiler for Episode 7, Natsuhi:
Spoiler for Episode 7, Krauss:
So it seems that servants generally quit at the end of middle school. Note however:
Spoiler for Episode 7, Yasu (1980):
This is the last mention of Yasu going to school anywhere in Umineko that I'm aware of (in fact, a ctrl+f search of the script reveals the next mention of "school" is Maria talking about how boring it is with Beatrice and then the child soldier dialogue in ep8). In 1980 she would not have been in high school yet (legally, she'd be 10).

One must assume that if Yasu were actually still in school after 1984, then (1) Yasu would've probably have been assigned some kind of role at the school festival that prevented her from attending as Kanon, (2) people would have recognized "Kanon," since one presumes Shannon does not wear wigs or whatever to school.

However the problem with this is that presumably Jessica and Yasu went to elementary/middle school with the same group of girls, so how did nobody recognize her?
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:59   Link #32171
Drifloon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
However the problem with this is that presumably Jessica and Yasu went to elementary/middle school with the same group of girls, so how did nobody recognize her?
Well, Jessica and Yasu wouldn't even have been in the same year, would they? I doubt anyone would have recognised someone from a different class several years later, especially if she was dressed as a boy and they had no reason to expect to recognise her.

Not to mention that Yasu was presumably really shy and quiet at school, so she probably wouldn't have made much of an impression on anyone in the first place.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 12:04   Link #32172
jjblue1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
One must assume that if Yasu were actually still in school after 1984, then (1) Yasu would've probably have been assigned some kind of role at the school festival that prevented her from attending as Kanon, (2) people would have recognized "Kanon," since one presumes Shannon does not wear wigs or whatever to school.

However the problem with this is that presumably Jessica and Yasu went to elementary/middle school with the same group of girls, so how did nobody recognize her?
Well, I'm not that sure about it but couldn't she have said she would have to work that day and skip the school festival? Or called in sick?
Besides... nobody ever recognized her, not even Battler or 'perfect eyesight and amazing powers of observation' Erika.

She's like Superman. Lois sees him up close in the movie and yet it never dawn on her that HEY this guy looks exactly one of my coworkers.

Personally is one of the things that annoyed me the most about ShKannon.
One would expect to get a mention about how Shannon and Kanon resemble each other EXPECIALLY since Shannon takes care to mention they aren't related yet no one ever says it.

Usually, as far as anime, manga and whatever else go, this would mean they actually don't look like each other even if they're drawn exactly with the same face and the only difference is in the hair and clothes but Umineko happily overlooked this issue.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 12:08   Link #32173
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
Not to mention that Yasu was presumably really shy and quiet at school, so she probably wouldn't have made much of an impression on anyone in the first place.
She does say that she eventually felt comfortable in school, but doesn't elaborate on what that means.

Although if she's 2-3 years off from Jessica, what happens when Jessica transitions schools? At some point, Jessica will be in middle school but Yasu won't be.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:37   Link #32174
Wanderer
Goat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gnawing away at Rokkenjima
Depending on birthdays, the grade difference for Yasu and Jessica ranges from 1 grade to 3. And depending on Yasu's legal (fake) birthday, she either graduated from middle school in March 1985 or 1986. If she did it in 1985 and didn't advance to high school, then there would be little overlap between her going to school and her role-playing Kanon.

A little research on Niijima and its schools:

Currently (30 years ago may have been different) there are about 2700 people living on the island. There are separate elementary, middle, and high schools. Each grade seems to have about 20-30 students. The middle and high schools are next door to each other, and the elementary school isn't very far, either- about 600-700 meters away.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:40   Link #32175
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
That just makes it seem way less likely that she could get away with something like that. My high school had about 500 students in it and I still knew just about everybody. Hell, that's small enough that each grade is practically one classroom. Even if Yasu wasn't in school, she'd still probably be remembered as "that girl who works for Jessica who used to be in school with us."

People must've seriously never paid any attention to her.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:22   Link #32176
Wanderer
Goat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gnawing away at Rokkenjima
Sure, it's impossible for Shannon/Yasu to be completely forgotten at school. But, what, are you saying it's impossible that none of the kids saw through her Kanon disguise because of that? Honestly, if it's already given that Yasu could fool Jessica and the other Ushiromiyas, then the kids at school aren't much of a hand-wave at all.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:38   Link #32177
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Sure, it's impossible for Shannon/Yasu to be completely forgotten at school. But, what, are you saying it's impossible that none of the kids saw through her Kanon disguise because of that? Honestly, if it's already given that Yasu could fool Jessica and the other Ushiromiyas, then the kids at school aren't much of a hand-wave at all.
Well, it depends a lot on whether she actually did fool Jessica and the family, doesn't it?

Besides, it would still strike me as extremely risky on Yasu's part. Kanon was already reluctant to go, but agreeing to do it just seems like a huge risk for no identifiable benefit. The last thing she needs is somebody who is a little too perceptive noticing her, and she has to assume the people who will be present at the school are going to be people who have seen her in the past.

It's a weird risk and is easier to explain if Kanon's actual existence is very judiciously utilized. But since we seem to have effective confirmation that someone appeared at the school festival with Jessica, it's hard to just handwave the scene away. If Kanon was living a regular, regulated existence, this just seems like a needless risk. If Kanon barely exists at all, it's easier to get away with... but then it becomes nearly impossible to believe Jessica wouldn't know.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 01:38   Link #32178
Drifloon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Taking needless risks is hardly out of character, but it seems to me like you're overstating the risk anyway. Maybe I'm just completely wrong on this, but I wouldn't have thought people would tend to remember anyone from outside their own year at all unless they had a particular reason to. And presumably Jessica would mostly be interacting with people in her own year, who would never have been in the same class as Yasu. Even if they did remember her, I wouldn't have thought they'd have seen her nearly enough to actually recognise her on sight (in a disguise, in a situation where they wouldn't expect to see her at all). I mean, I could be reading my own introversion on to other people here, but it seems pretty bizarre to think that most people would be able to keep hundreds of random students' faces in their mind and recall them at any instant despite barely interacting with most of them.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 06:37   Link #32179
Kiltias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoroBoro View Post
Hello good people. I've come here in search of something to un-muck my mind. So after reading the translated transcript of "Answers to the Golden Witch" I guess it's set in stone by the voice of god that Kannon = Shannon.

This does not sit right with me, as:

1. I hate to see Kannon reduced to a personality.
2. How does one pretend to be two people to at least 7+ people for years on end?
3. KaNNON ShaNNON... I mean... Come on... Right?

As well as a number of other concerns that I have which I'm too mind-screwed to find and list right now.

So what I'm seeking is:

1. Comfort that, neigh, perhaps even proof that Ryukishi07 was high during the interview or the translation leaves room for interpretation.
2. Barring that, Skannon!=Beatrice.
3. Barring that, a good psychiatrist in the west bay area that has read Umineko.
For me it's all another way of hiding Rosa, I mean hell, it's stated Kinzo is the one who gives his children weird names and that Maria isn't her original name.
Kinzo was the one who named her it was changed to Maria by Rosa which made Kinzo furious cause "What Kinzo wanted the most, lodges most thickly within you"

Whole thing with Kinzo is that we know he is majorly into foreign languages and the names are important in Umineko.
More need to see that cause there is no way we're talking about a coincidence that for example Rudolf refers to Wolf (Which he freaking is),Rosa to Rose and Horse, Eva to Life/Alive, and Krauss to Victory (While Rosa mentioned Eva MUST declare Victory but she feared "Brother".)

For example, Maria was obsessed of healing the sick Rose, the sole Rose that was sick among the others, again, Roses stand for Love.

See the parallel to Ange and Eva.
Ange had a broken bond with Eva.
Maria had a broken bond with Rosa.

Eva was possessed by a Black Witch
Rosa was possessed by a Black Witch.

The Black Witch can be defeated with Marias magic cause it's the magic of happiness.
Black Witch = Pain and Sadness pushed from one to another.

Alliance with Maria gave Beatrice her Endless Power.
Ange said learning Marias magic would have fixed the bond with Eva.

Rosa believed in Magic when she was young to the point of wanting to be a Witch.
Alliance with Maria returned Beatrices Magic Power which had declined.

Goddammit, you even have Rosa and Eva argueing about the Gold, the former believing Eva is gonna monopolize the gold but giving her respects to the next head followed right away with an Illusionary scene of Evatrice going all "THE GOLD IS ALL MINE!!!!" and the succession ceremony of Beatrice confirming her as Successor, that Illusion goes way more into Rosas line of thought than Yasu.

But yeah, as usual, this all means nothing but then again, people even believe Yasu killed Rosa and Maria when it's clear as day that it was Rudolf cause everything has to be Yasu, it's downright ridiculous to think someone else could have comitted any murder.

Last edited by Kiltias; 2013-04-29 at 06:57.
Kiltias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 08:19   Link #32180
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Kinzo couldn't have known the plot significance of names assigned 50 years before any plot events would relate back to them. I suspect you're overthinking it, or else it's just the author enforcing the symbolism, not one of the characters.

I can't really believe Kinzo had any idea that giving his children particular names would in any way influence their later behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
I mean, I could be reading my own introversion on to other people here, but it seems pretty bizarre to think that most people would be able to keep hundreds of random students' faces in their mind and recall them at any instant despite barely interacting with most of them.
Well the thing is, according to Wanderer at least, there aren't "hundreds of random students," but like... one hundred. Some of whom may have just been in school with Yasu as little as a year ago. Perhaps Ryukishi didn't take that into account, but I have to think he'd at least visited Niijima at some point for reference. He'd know it's not a metropolitan high school.

And again I'd point out that Yasu didn't say she never fit in at school or that she had no friends there. She just made a brief statement about not feeling comfortable at first, and then the whole thing never really got brought up again.

Basically she either has to have been paid no attention by anybody and had no close friends whatsoever (not strictly textually supported, but plausible given that she's "best friends" with Jessica and they don't even act like friends), or the disguise as "Kanon" was substantially different from her regular appearance, or she got incredibly lucky that none of the first-years recognized her, or everyone in this story is goddamn blind.

Were I to be cynical, I'd say Ryukishi just assumed that Yasu had no friends and saw no reason to outright state as such, given that he doesn't seem to adequately understand the implications of Jessica and Shannon being friends for most of their lives but barely acting like it at any point ever in the actual story. I'd question how well he understands any relationships at all.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.