AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-07-02, 17:48   Link #12421
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
There's also:
http://community.livejournal.com/rokkenjima/188310.html
http://darenome.wordpress.com/2009/0...i07-interview/
http://darenome.wordpress.com/2009/1...7-interview-2/

There's actually some interviews posted here but not on other webpages too. I'm currently seeking one where Ryukishi tells us to look at the territory of Japan in the 1900's for Kinzo's home town. I remember reading this but for the life of me I can't remember where...
Ah, thanks. It's inconvenient that they're all scattered across the net, though, because they're really insightful.
Old 2010-07-02, 18:15   Link #12422
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Hmm... how would you headshot 6 people in their sleep?
Quickly. Lever-action rifles allow up to two shots per second.

Quote:
Similarly, why is the dining room full of blood if that's the case? The killer killed them, dragged them to the dining room then dragged them back again?
*sigh* Seriously, was I not sufficiently clear the first time? But I guess I wasn't, so let me spell it out again, and don't blame me for tl;dr later.
  • Character A enters the dining hall with Rifle A, points it at the congregation (which just had Gohda and Shannon bring in tea) and says, "Don't do anything stupid this is a robbery!...ahem. Anyway, this is a nefarious plot, I'm playing a game, I know, but it's highly personal. For now, just go with me with your hands up and nobody gets hurt. Tomorrow, you go back to your kids. You can hand me over to the police after that if you like, I don't care."
  • Everyone goes to the shed, slightly shivering under the rain at gunpoint. Character A locks the shed, puts the key back into the keybox, and paints up the dining hall with red paint which isn't even blood. The idea is that it will only suffer a very cursory examination.
  • If everything went normally, in the morning, Kumasawa (possibly backed up by Nanjo) would burst in screaming and say she just saw corpses, corpses in the dining hall! Everyone would go, see blood but no corpses, and assume kidnapping or something even more nefarious, then the plan would proceed to whatever is next in line.
  • But nothing went normally, because Character B with Rifle B (but actually, one rifle is enough if both A and B can get to it) knew about it. The population of the shed decided it is wiser to wait until morning, then bust out using available tools, as they don't know if Character A is watching them or not. They might as well sleep until then, since they've been up, well, since forever.
    Character B climbs up to the window of the shed, locates the heads of the five 'victims' in their sights, gets ready, and fires off five shots in quick succession before the last one can get up and tell what's happening. If there are any misses, Character B gets down, reloads, unlocks the door and kills the stragglers.
  • Character B paints the seal on the door to make sure the bodies are discovered. The plan of Character A is to pass up the shed completely during search, but by painting the seal on it, Character B makes it much harder.
  • In the morning, missing people are noticed, and Character A goes to check on the shed just in case, and maybe even feed their prisoners.
    Instead, they find them dead.

THIS is what I mean.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 19:00   Link #12423
Leafsnail

Uhuh...

Seems sortof... odd, though? I mean, if you're trying to make the killings/ fake killings look like a witch, why put a bunch of fake blood splatters somewhere other than the scene of the crime? It's not very witchlike to beat a bunch of people up then drag them off...
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 19:02   Link #12424
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Wait a minute. Something just occurred to me.

How many rifles are there? More specifically, how many rifles has Battler ever seen?

In the only Question Arc in which there are multiple rifles shown (Ep3), Battler is upstairs in the guesthouse, isolated from events until Kyrie's death. Does he have the opportunity to witness more than one rifle at a time?

Quote:
Seems sortof... odd, though? I mean, if you're trying to make the killings/ fake killings look like a witch, why put a bunch of fake blood splatters somewhere other than the scene of the crime? It's not very witchlike to beat a bunch of people up then drag them off...
The idea is that the 'bodies' must have been spirited away (by a witch) in the time it took Kumasawa to warn the rest of the relatives.
Old 2010-07-02, 19:03   Link #12425
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wait a minute. Something just occurred to me.

How many rifles are there? More specifically, how many rifles has Battler ever seen?

In the only Question Arc in which there are multiple rifles shown (Ep3), Battler is upstairs in the guesthouse, isolated from events until Kyrie's death. Does he have the opportunity to witness more than one rifle at a time?
In EP 3 it's stated by Battler's narration that there are 4 working Winchesters. He sees them all at the same time when everyone goes to the guest house.

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 19:14   Link #12426
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
In EP 3 it's stated by Battler's narration that there are 4 working Winchesters. He sees them all at the same time when everyone goes to the guest house.
It's been speculated before that one of them doesn't work. Since the four Siestas represent the four guns, and Siesta 556 was broken, it implies that one of the four guns was also broken.

On that note, were any of the guns in EP3 never fired? Which ones werefired? The adults kept passing them around to different people during the story I got confused, but maybe this can confirm whether or not a rifle is broken.
Old 2010-07-02, 19:16   Link #12427
Oliver

Quote:
It's not very witchlike to beat a bunch of people up then drag them off...
It's not very witchlike to actually kill people, makes it a royal pain to resurrect them later... so you don't. You make people imagine other people are dead.

Then you bring them back, possibly handing every one of them a bar or two of gold for their trouble. Unless someone else gets to them in the meantime, that is.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-02, 19:22   Link #12428
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
It's been speculated before that one of them doesn't work. Since the four Siestas represent the four guns, and Siesta 556 was broken, it implies that one of the four guns was also broken.

On that note, were any of the guns in EP3 never fired? Which ones werefired? The adults kept passing them around to different people during the story I got confused, but maybe this can confirm whether or not a rifle is broken.
Hm, let me make a quick timeline.

Spoiler for EP 3 guns:

Sig by nocco
Old 2010-07-02, 19:25   Link #12429
Oliver

Quote:
I very much doubt there's an 1984 Winchester anywhere chambered for NATO 5.56.

But I wouldn't directly associate those characters with specific guns anyway, considering that their names all refer to types of cartridges.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-02, 19:26   Link #12430
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:

Spoiler for EP 3 guns:
IIRC, right after Hideyoshi gets Rosa's gun, he fires all of the bullets in it to make sure it hasn't been tampered with and then reloads it.
Old 2010-07-02, 19:27   Link #12431
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:

Spoiler for EP 3 guns:
What about Krauss's gun? It was never fired, was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
I very much doubt there's an 1984 Winchester anywhere chambered for NATO 5.56.

But I wouldn't directly associate those characters with specific guns anyway, considering that their names all refer to types of cartridges.
Perhaps each gun was loaded with a different cartridge? One gun for each Siesta?
Old 2010-07-02, 20:05   Link #12432
Kylon99

Quote:
Perhaps each gun was loaded with a different cartridge? One gun for each Siesta?
Well, the 00 is a shotgun round and of course the 5.66mm round is a modern NATO round. I thought the Winchester Repeater rifles are all rifles though from the late 1800's and are unlikely to use those two.

The Winchesters use a lever action to put the next round in place. You can see something similar to the lever action on the shotgun starting at around 0:50 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJ_fUwN_fI (It's gotta be a shotgun, he doesn't use anything else. Hail to the king, baby.)

From the EP1 TIPS, it said the Winchester (probably the one Natsuhi was waving around) was a M1894 Winchester Sawed-off. It was chambered for 0.45 long-colt bullets, holding 4+1 rounds.

Here's a close up of the lever action: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__IdW-2mCFb...0/100_0271.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever-action Here's a pretty good article too. Supposedly with a lever action you can shoot pretty fast successively. Not as fast as an automatic weapon of course but....

Last edited by Kylon99; 2010-07-02 at 20:19.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 20:19   Link #12433
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
IIRC, right after Hideyoshi gets Rosa's gun, he fires all of the bullets in it to make sure it hasn't been tampered with and then reloads it.
That's what I meant by 'doing a check'

Sig by nocco
Old 2010-07-02, 20:26   Link #12434
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
Well, the 00 is a shotgun round and of course the 5.66mm round is a modern NATO round. I thought the Winchester Repeater rifles are all rifles though from the late 1800's and are unlikely to use those two.

The Winchesters use a lever action to put the next round in place. You can see something similar to the lever action on the shotgun starting at around 0:50 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJ_fUwN_fI (It's gotta be a shotgun, he doesn't use anything else. Hail to the king, baby.)

From the EP1 TIPS, it said the Winchester (probably the one Natsuhi was waving around) was a M1894 Winchester Sawed-off. It was chambered for 0.45 long-colt bullets, holding 4+1 rounds.

Here's a close up of the lever action: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__IdW-2mCFb...0/100_0271.jpg
Hmm. I'm not really a firearms expert or anything, but I do think it's strange that exactly 4 guns have been shown as well as 4 Siestas named after cartridges. It might be a hint that more guns are actually on the island, if they can't work with the Winchester rifles.
Old 2010-07-02, 20:47   Link #12435
Leafsnail

Some idiot tried to shove a 556 into one of the Winchesters .
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 20:59   Link #12436
Judoh
Mystery buff

Speaking of guns this is the first thing Battler says after the first twilight in EP4

Quote:
Battler:" ..........whoa that last thunder was huge. Was it close?"
George: "Looks like it. No matter how old you get thunder still makes you jump."
It couldn't be any more obvious that that sound is supposed to be a gun right?
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 21:17   Link #12437
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Speaking of guns this is the first thing Battler says after the first twilight in EP4

It couldn't be any more obvious that that sound is supposed to be a gun right?
Thunder and gunshots sound very different. Gunshots have a very sharp popping noise too them, while thunder is normally a loud rumbling noise.

Besides, I doubt you could hear gunshots from the mansion in the guest house. There seems to be a walkway from the guest house to get to the mansion and rose garden after all.

Sig by nocco
Old 2010-07-02, 21:40   Link #12438
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Thunder and gunshots sound very different. Gunshots have a very sharp popping noise too them, while thunder is normally a loud rumbling noise.
Come to think of it, would Battler even know what a gunshot sounds like?

He lives in Japan; I doubt he's ever come across a real gun before 1986... and real guns sound very little like they do in movies.

I've never heard a real gunshot either, but from what I know they sound a little like fireworks... would it be possible to trick Battler in that manner, I wonder?
Old 2010-07-02, 22:52   Link #12439
B.kun

My friends, first spoiler from EP7, the name of the next episode will be:

Spoiler for EP7 name:

source: http://www.office-mk.co.jp/pcshop/special/umineko.html

Last edited by B.kun; 2010-07-02 at 23:20. Reason: adding source
B.kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 23:15   Link #12440
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.kun View Post
My friends, first spoiler from EP7, the name of the next episode will be:

Spoiler for EP7 name:
Not that I don't believe you.. but.. source? 8)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote