AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-08, 18:25   Link #21
KhaS

Yup, the only thing is that I've already read it (I headed directly for the manga, didn't watch the anime) !
It was indeed pretty cool.
Old 2009-07-08, 19:53   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaS View Post
Yup, the only thing is that I've already read it (I headed directly for the manga, didn't watch the anime) !
It was indeed pretty cool.
Give the anime a chance you might be surprised by how stylized it is in animated action...But yeah, George is like the most realistically mature badboy character I've seen in a harem or young romance type anime...So against type for these kinda shows...
Old 2009-07-09, 00:29   Link #23
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaS View Post
Maybe I'm trying too hard to compare western european culture (where I'm living) and Japanese culture so what I'm looking for (in my original post) simply doesn't exist because of cultural differences...
Probably so, although I wouldn't say it doesn't exist; just not common. For example, two girls from that link:
Quote:
.. I decided to ask the male teachers at my school why Japanese men went out of their way to avoid me. Of course, I had to wait until after several rounds of beer and sake since the male teachers are only brave enough to talk to me when they are completely wasted.

“Why do all the men in this town refuse to speak to me or even look at me?” I asked in broken Japanese once they were properly loaded.

“Japanese are shy!” yelled the 27-year-old social studies teacher. “Japanese man has Samurai soul! Samurai are shy!”
I realized the only way I was going to get a date in Japan was if I made the first move. Unfortunately, this isn’t as easy as it sounds. ..
Quote:
... after having lived in Japan for 2 1/2 years, I was *very* surprised that this very good-looking guy who’d caught my eye earlier in the evening was actually brave enough to make EYE CONTACT with me and … SMILE!! (There’s always a first time for everything, I guess.)
And this video clip explaining why men come to his hostess club.

Speaking of which, have you seen Ouran High School Host Club? The circumstances are pretty fictional but the personalities might be in line with what you're looking for. As far as how it relates to real life, I don't know as I've never been to a host club or know anyone who has. But like the anime, the real hosts are also do not seem shy. See this clip from this documentary
Old 2009-07-09, 00:45   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll throw out one rather offbeat suggestion - Oh! Edo Rocket. Tamaya is perhaps in his early twenties, generally not shy except around the lovely Sora, and truly devoted to his profession of making fireworks. The show is replete with Japanese culture and history along with a good dose of aliens, science-fiction, politics, drama, and comedy, plus a terrific jazz score to boot. It would fit almost all your criteria except that it's set in 1843. It's also (remarkably) recently licensed by Funimation.