AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2009-10-21, 07:50   Link #81
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

The story had substance. It just wasn't traditionally spoonfed to you. You had to think about it imo.

Just like we have to think about that guy's 3 forms with each episode probably imo.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:07   Link #82
Sol Falling

The idea of an anime's artstyle trying too hard is just beyond me. For neither this nor Bakemonogatari. It's all just eyecandy anyway.

I was okay with this anime (sorry, yes, unjustified-generalization-from-first-episode) until near the ending. The trolling thing about the injection. God, the whole "Gee, that's odd. There's no way just a vitamin shot blah blah blah" was so fucking smug and pretentious. Fuck you, asshat, you don't actually think it's odd at all. The success of the injection is just another example of the widely acknowledged 'placebo effect', you could at least handle the reveal with a little class. Such a petty self-satisfied sense of humour (or what?) is completely repulsive to me. God, shit, fuck, etc.

I hesitate to call the entire anime repulsively self-satisfied on the basis of one scene of its main character. But this series has nothing to offer beyond its psychology, and the first episode has set the bar very, very low. And god, I hate it when successful or highly acclaimed stuff turns out to be shitty. It just destroys my faith in humanity's collective good taste. I really hope the next episode is better than this.
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 08:12   Link #83
orion

The placebo effect may have helped him the first night but the patient did it himself with therapy by the time of the second injection. He just had to face his anxiety about strangers imo. The doc was following him around and getting him to open up. He even filmed him.

Actually, he had to tell him that it was a vitamin shot in the end. Doc-patient relationship and all that jazz.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:11   Link #84
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Dare i say whoever made this anime musta been High on...whatever it was that person was taking.
Old 2009-10-22, 09:34   Link #85
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Ok now that I understood the first epi I liked it better though even for its style I did think it went off in several tangents that I still havent gotten yet.

Art is amazing though, the injection scenes were hilarious.

Im not entirely sure since I cant find the total episode summary post but I think characters from later epis made cameos in this. Obviously TakaSaku's character did (fangirls).
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 14:28   Link #86
RGB

Doctor, I think I got whiplash from all the art shifts.

After the first episode I have only a lukewarm interest in this show. It felt novel enough, but the twist at the end wasn't very surprising. Come to think of it, I got pretty bored after that horribly stretched out injection scene.

I'll probably hang on for a few more cases, maybe until that yakuza thug with fear of (or is it attraction to?) table edges shows up for therapy.

Also nominating Fukuicchi for the most annoying character this season.

Last edited by RGB; 2009-10-23 at 07:43.
RGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 17:11   Link #87
psycrop

Here is my take on the first episode...

So this video file has been 'sitting' in my computer for sometime since I downloaded it. I truly enjoy 'artsy' style anime but once I finished downloading the file and opening it for viewing it, I saw this weird picture/frame that put me off from this anime for a week. I dont know what that was about but witnessing the first few frames just turn me off, so to speak, about watching the entire thing. So here we are almost a week later and I decided to give it a try again, and see if this time I can stand it for an entire episode.

Amazing. For some reason, the entire time I was watching it I felt a rush of enjoyment. No, I was not under the influence of any drugs. The story grabbed me right away. Here you have a psychiatrist who uses weird methods to treat his patients, a patient who thought that he was only meeting him for some sleeping pills, and a charade of eccentric events happening one after the other. I loved it all. Not for one minute I felt that anything was pretentious, but rather genuine/avant-garde. I think its great way to slow down the atmosphere and understand things better by having this 'doctor' explaining the different methods used by psychiatrist on their patients. I actually enjoy listening to his rantings.

The psychiatrist. He/she is very unique. We dont really have that much insight on how she/he was brought up, but at this point we can all agree that the changes that occur with him/her are always correlated with the situation his/her patients are in. All of his/her characters have their unique features, and in just one episode, you can already tell which one represents which. I was laughing out loud the entire time he was having those reactions while the nurse was injecting the patient. I was so captivated by the frame that shows the needle going in the arm of the guy that I didnt realize those huge eyes were in background all blurred out. I went "WTF" when I suddenly realized it. Maybe some dont find this of any merit, but I found it quite amusing. We'll see how he develops as the story progresses but so far, I think they introduced him well enough for us to make assumptions regarding his characteristics.

The first episode was really great to say the least. I'm glad I actually watched it this time and will keep watching future episodes. Even if this is consider by many, which will probably happen, as another pretentious anime, I will gladly watch it for that. The fact that most of everything else out there is nothing more that recycle/moe/loli/fansh*t anime forces me to do it. Of course there a few exceptions, but a great majority arent.

TLDR anime is unique.
psycrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 17:20   Link #88
zato_1one

Can't really say I like this style of presentation. I agree with Sol Falling. It's all just eye candy. Doing something different doesn't automatically mean that it will be better than other series. Besides from the unique visual art and WTF moments, nothing really stands out for me.

But I like OP and ED. I hope next episode is better than this.
Old 2009-10-23, 18:46   Link #89
slidingk1

Full of junk the main character is self absorbed and annoying. Sorry if I want to hear someone complaining the entire time I'd watch the news. The art style well lets say you can not watch and like this unless your on Acid or Oxi. The shifts are never smooth, feels forced, and just looks ugly.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 00:28   Link #90
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycrop View Post
The psychiatrist. He/she is very unique. We dont really have that much insight on how she/he was brought up, but at this point we can all agree that the changes that occur with him/her are always correlated with the situation his/her patients are in. All of his/her characters have their unique features, and in just one episode, you can already tell which one represents which. I was laughing out loud the entire time he was having those reactions while the nurse was injecting the patient. I was so captivated by the frame that shows the needle going in the arm of the guy that I didnt realize those huge eyes were in background all blurred out. I went "WTF" when I suddenly realized it. Maybe some dont find this of any merit, but I found it quite amusing. We'll see how he develops as the story progresses but so far, I think they introduced him well enough for us to make assumptions regarding his characteristics.
That happened to me too. I was focused on the needle then I looked at the background and went...

That guy really likes to see injections.

And started laughing.

Hooray for fetish appreciation.
Old 2009-10-24, 03:23   Link #91
_gallo_

So it seems that the ED will change every week. I found the second episode better than the first one. I think that directing was stronger and overall the episode was a more visually entertaining experience than the previous one. Pacing wads a bit too fast bust the rest was ok. This time use of psychedelic colors combined with extravagant shots all around give me exactly the hallucinating and hilarious feelings i have wanted form this show since the beginning.

There are lots of things i don't fully understand, like for example human metamorphosis into animals here and there. This week the patient transformed into a rhino , and i couldn't think anything more smart that the rhino's horns are indeed a phallic metaphor considering patient's illness. Maybe there's a deeper meaning in all this, but i lack any ethological background to say so.

As for the blend between reality and anime, well, I'm a bit perplexed about it. I think they did a good work so far but at the same time I'm still unsure if Nakamura's is at his best with real people and so on. His approach to directing and his skill make me think that he should focus only on animes and not live actions.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2009-10-24 at 07:23.
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 11:27   Link #92
animekritik

Rhino is definitely phallic and horny. I still don't get the penguin head in the first episode though, if it was a penguin...
Old 2009-10-24, 12:02   Link #93
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The idea of an anime's artstyle trying too hard is just beyond me. For neither this nor Bakemonogatari. It's all just eyecandy anyway.

I was okay with this anime (sorry, yes, unjustified-generalization-from-first-episode) until near the ending. The trolling thing about the injection. God, the whole "Gee, that's odd. There's no way just a vitamin shot blah blah blah" was so fucking smug and pretentious. Fuck you, asshat, you don't actually think it's odd at all. The success of the injection is just another example of the widely acknowledged 'placebo effect', you could at least handle the reveal with a little class. Such a petty self-satisfied sense of humour (or what?) is completely repulsive to me. God, shit, fuck, etc.

I hesitate to call the entire anime repulsively self-satisfied on the basis of one scene of its main character. But this series has nothing to offer beyond its psychology, and the first episode has set the bar very, very low. And god, I hate it when successful or highly acclaimed stuff turns out to be shitty. It just destroys my faith in humanity's collective good taste. I really hope the next episode is better than this.
Wow, man, if watching anime gets you so angry I'd say you better get another hobby.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 12:11   Link #94
sirn
レス乞食

I wonder why people have that much problem about the injection twist, I mean, isn't the main "twist" is when Yamashita Kouhei come to realization that it is his own fault and not the partner's?
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 12:47   Link #95
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
I wonder why people have that much problem about the injection twist, I mean, isn't the main "twist" is when Yamashita Kouhei come to realization that it is his own fault and not the partner's?
It's the doc-patient relationship that took a beating getting to the realization. Some people have a prob with the placebo effect.
Old 2009-10-25, 15:11   Link #96
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
There are lots of things i don't fully understand, like for example human metamorphosis into animals here and there. This week the patient transformed into a rhino , and i couldn't think anything more smart that the rhino's horns are indeed a phallic metaphor considering patient's illness. Maybe there's a deeper meaning in all this, but i lack any ethological background to say so.
I'll give it a shot...

Ep. 2:

Well the guy was suppressing his emotions in ep. 2 and worsening his erection. So the rhino head was letting the viewers know what he was doing. ("Things are not what they seem" part of rhino symbolism imo. Also, rhinos are passive creatures.)

He resolved his issues with his divorced wife and he was able to sit upright on his bed.

When he told the staff how he felt and stopped being passive, his erection reversed illustrated by horn getting smaller and rhino head disappeared. He walked upright out of the office with a smile.

Ep. 1:

In ep. 1, the diagnosis was generalized anxiety disorder secondary to having a new partner. That guy is a very good acrobat with nice manners. The penguin is a master acrobat. Penguin symbolism also picks up the nice manners. However, his coloration is off. He's not black and white which is the merging of darkness and light that's the other part of penguin symbolism. Penguins are suppose to be understanding. He also has the "wanting to maintain control" features of the penguin symbolism. He turns into a penguin whenever he was trying to maintain control/territory fight (being aggressive) or problems with territory (backs away aka displacement, page 314-315)

Towards the end of ep. 1 when he saw the team, he didn't have any territorial issues/problems with them being "strangers" and so he maintained a human form.

Last edited by orion; 2009-10-25 at 16:12.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 15:50   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I enjoyed the second episode a lot more then the first. Guess i found the topic if this episode a lot more interesting this time around. Also glad to see that the music placement is just as good as it was in the first episode. This show truly is a keeper.

Third episode should be fun, going by that preview.
Old 2009-10-26, 00:32   Link #98
psycrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
So it seems that the ED will change every week. I found the second episode better than the first one. I think that directing was stronger and overall the episode was a more visually entertaining experience than the previous one. Pacing wads a bit too fast bust the rest was ok. This time use of psychedelic colors combined with extravagant shots all around give me exactly the hallucinating and hilarious feelings i have wanted form this show since the beginning.

As for the blend between reality and anime, well, I'm a bit perplexed about it. I think they did a good work so far but at the same time I'm still unsure if Nakamura's is at his best with real people and so on. His approach to directing and his skill make me think that he should focus only on animes and not live actions.

LOL. Its ok dude, some things arent meant for everyone.

Epi 2.
More upbeat episode. LOTS of color. This anime is gonna give me a seizure during every episode, but overall really fun.
psycrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 01:41   Link #99
neshru

Episode 2 was pretty weak.
The doctor didn't seem to help in any way at all this time, and I just couldn't see the link between the solution to the patient's problem and the fact that his wife left him.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 03:23   Link #100
chinaboat

God, how I love anime that make you think. I think this might be the best in quite a long time but then Air-TV and Furi Kuri are in my top five and both are better, imo, if you take the time to understand that there is more to them than just the first impression.

BakaOnna's thought that the three personae represent Ego, Id and Superego makes great sense since the patient never acknowledges the change - thanks.

I figured the animals meant something to the Japanese that I as an American wasn't getting so I did a little homework. I think as the patients can't see the doctor's different personae, the doctor can't see the animal heads. I believe they are cues from the writer(s) that tell us where the doctor intends to guide the patient. When they appear outside of the office it means that the doctor's treatment plan is taking effect. An alternative theory is the doctor can see them and the act of injection, obviously significant to the doctor, helps him "see" the transformation which then reminds him of where he wants to guide the patient. On the other hand he might just get off on seeing people getting stuck.

The bird in the first ep was a crane. The Japanese refer to the crane as “the bird of happiness and peace;” the Chinese as “heavenly crane” believing they were symbols of wisdom. He wanted the stage manager to become a crane and thereby bring harmony to his staff and crew; the only way to do this was to not be stand-offish but to be approachable; you could probably kick the Chinese wisdom thing into the mix, too.

The opposite applies to the Rhino in the second ep, he wanted the civil servant to find a way free from the impositions of those around him. "The Rhinoceros Sutra" is a very early Buddhist text advocating the merit of solitary pursuit of enlightenment while refraining from worldly pleasures.

Spoiler for space saving:

I am really looking forward to the rest of this series.
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nakamura, noitamina