AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 27 12.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 63 29.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 26.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 15.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.42%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-08, 15:27   Link #41
Saerianne
*cackle*
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 19
GOREEEEE
Will watch raw when I get home from school.
Saerianne is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:32   Link #42
IfritTower
Just furniture
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Purgatorio
The pacing was better than episode 1 to say the least, and Kinzo's talk with Natsuhi was well done. The only things that irk me are how they cut out the reason Natsuhi was sad when Jessica talked to her, and the timing of goldenslaughterer. It just felt...odd. Or maybe it's because I had a horrible quality raw. Will write more when the subs come out, so I can finally understand what they're saying.
IfritTower is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:36   Link #43
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
My opinion

Spoiler for Anime episode 2:


First impression I think I'll review it a bit more in detail when I come back from my vacation in Italy (which starts tomorow)
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara

Last edited by Kitsu; 2009-07-08 at 15:52.
Kitsu is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:45   Link #44
Squirrellord
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
My review (yes, my sig says I left, but I felt like coming back for this~)
Spoiler for Review:
__________________
Squirrellord is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:46   Link #45
Coruja
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I just finished watching the raws...

I think they did an OK job, but I'm second everybody else, it still felt too rushed, and they skipped too much. But I think that it was a better episode than last week's.

Spoiler:

7/10 for me, because I still believe that they didn't slow down the pace that much because they wanted to get to "the scene" quickly, to attract more viewers. After all, they still have three episodes left for Ep1.
Coruja is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:56   Link #46
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 23
The scene when they discovered the first twilight victims wasn't as memorable to me.

Spoiler:


But seeing as I don't know Japanese and I have only watched a poor quality unsubbed version of it, I find myself unable to really rate it. So far, I'd like to give it a 7 or 8 though. The pacing was fast, but after the first anime episode, I pretty much knew what to expect in terms of it.
__________________

momobunny is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:56   Link #47
luizf
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
... I'm quite satisfied with this episode.. you can't expect them to do a perfect adaptation of the VN.. The show would become boring for first timers..

I guess they rushed to the first twilight to get the attention of ppl new to the story.. Things will probably get slower and more detailed from now on ..
luizf is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 15:58   Link #48
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrellord View Post
My review (yes, my sig says I left, but I felt like coming back for this~)
Spoiler for Review:
While I understand where you are coming from, I absolutely cannot agree with the simple "they are different, deal with it": there is no need for a series to be an adaptation if it mauls down the material that much.

There is no way an adaptation can be flawless in term of content or pace, but adapting a story requires decision that should KEEP the essence of the said material to the best degree they can. Umineko isn't solely based on Ushiromiya people being slaughtered like this: it is also a tale of money, and several personal stories that are not only important in order to feel empathy towards the characters but also a mean to figure a possible motive for a culprit.
And unfortunately, they simply screwed a lot of stuff except for Maria. Failing to portray characters is not only a problem in regard to one's enjoyment but it would also make the whole thing as a side dish for what it is.

Claiming the usual "ignorance is bliss" argument doesn't work at all here: the lack of information and the like is always a factor that you cannot brushes off in this kind of story. Furthermore, anime watchers won't have any idea of more possibilities in regard of the characters and their own agenda. And finally, how can someone enjoy a show if they don't feel anything for the biggest chunk of the characters?
So far, they really focalised a lot on Battler, Maria and to some extent, Jessica and George. The execution of George scenes was underwhelming and prevent actually to actually feel for the characters: we were presented with "blam, marriage proposal!" then... what?

What makes Umineko unique from the usual "locked island" story is not only its structure but the characters, their backstory, their problems, etc. If you remove them, you only have a tale of murders that hardly attract any emotion compared to its original material.
DEEN proved they "could" convey the spirit of a series, Higurashi for example, even with butchering the story by a big mile and still causing attachment and the like. And this is not the case with Umineko. Cutting for sake of having a sizeable story for an anime adaptation is one thing, but omitting the development that could give a cohesion between the characters is something totally different.

In all honesty, if I hadn't read Umineko beforehand, I would be just shocked and have a "too bad George" feeling, that's that. I wouldn't care much about any of the adults even Natsuhi (despite she won me a lot of points with her original development) because: I just don't know them and the story doesn't make me care about them. It is a plain textbook without much emotions dwelling in it. Of course this is only my opinion and if various watchers do enjoy and feel empathy towards certain non major characters, that's the best for them, they wouldn't feel my plight which is better this way.

Again: the whole issue is not that the anime isn't adapting flawlessly (there is no VN that is adapted flawlessly), the problems are THESE flaws. Not the cut themselves, the lack of filling the cuts.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:15   Link #49
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
It's like watching a digest of the original scenario... Even though I don't know the original scenario...

Everything went by so fast, nothing was emotionally anything... (-_-)
Kind of got sad near the end at the deaths... until Hideyoshi and Battler reacted in a way that reminded me of watching a stage act... Which made me laugh. And then the ED gave me even more laughs...

I'm sure it will be a lot more interesting if they just slowed down a bit... To think it is only the 2nd episode and this. Introduce them, kill them. No emotional investment possible...

6/10, I guess. It wasn't that boring...
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:20   Link #50
Scython
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Thank god I haven't read the VN, now I can just accept anything the anime feeds me. I'll be waiting for subs.
Scython is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:27   Link #51
sento
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
Thank god I haven't read the VN, now I can just accept anything the anime feeds me. I'll be waiting for subs.
I have read the novel and I found I-II really pleasant compared to I-I...

For me it was a really good episode.
sento is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:34   Link #52
Archer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bah. This episode is the reason why I'm surprised that Chiaki Kon still has a job. These characters aren't characters, they're caricatures. There's just no emotional resonance to anything.

I was actually laughing at the first twilight because the movements were just so exaggerated and there really wasn't any reason to care about any of the victims or the survivors. Someone should inform Studio DEEN that they shouldn't be following their Higurashi format of adapting material.

I wonder when they'll finally bring up the fact that Kyrie is not actually Battler's mother, since we should've already known this by now.
Archer is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:37   Link #53
Baru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Your Mind
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Baru
Watched the raw.
As a visual novel reader, I must say it was a great episode. Saddening to see people are still complaining about the pace, but whatever, I like the anime at least.

Though I do agree that they could have shown a liiiittle bit more about Natsuhi's reaction to the gold, but that's my only real complaint.

Waiting for subs now.
Baru is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:45   Link #54
rainz
original vampire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: southeast asia
Great episode. I thought the pacing is great for an anime adaptation. To be honest, I always thought the visual novel was really slow and *gasp* boring in this part anyway. Other people's preferences will probably vary.

The complaints I had against the first episode was that it looked generic and didn't have a mood. This second episode was so much better in this respect. The scene where Shannon walks through the mansion is a good example, especially combined with the game music.

They *have* to bring up Kyrie's relations to Battler sometimes, the question is when. If the revelation can be used to create some suspicions or dramatic effects, even if its not in the VN, that's fine by me, actually.
rainz is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:47   Link #55
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I'll leave the extended reviews to others and just put some thoughts here.

1. Can't say the episode was done well. Again, moving quickly will only haunt them later on. I realize that they have to move quick for episode counts or to quickly hook people (just like Higurashi had hachet in ep1 and usoda in ep2), but again it made some important scene less important.

2. Ingot. I know they left in a good chunk of the adult talk in Episode 1, but without the whole "proving there's no Beatrice's gold" by the other adults earlier, there's no suprise when the ingot shows up. Adding the glass/clock effect to that, the way they tried to make that surpising becomes a cheap attempt. I really just felt that "oh there is an ingot lying around" instead of when I was reading the VN, "What!? the gold is real!?"

3. Battler & Hideyoshi @ shed. The scene was building up great and all, with goldenslaughter playing in the background. All of a sudden hideyoshi has that line (work of the devil) and Battler suddenly drops his umbrella, two hands on his head, "that's too cruel". I couldn't help but laugh at the over acting they have put in place. Are they trying to make the viewers point fingers at him early on?

In the end, I'm not saying that they can't move quickly or cut out minor stuff, but they need to learn from Higurashi: pay attention to the cause and effect (can't just put emphasis on the effect without explaining/building up the cuase), and details to events. This isn't Higurashi where they can cut off the backstory; all pre-twilight events are just as important. Hopefully they will do better for the next 3 Epsiodes for ep1.
__________________
Rias is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:51   Link #56
sento
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Bah. This episode is the reason why I'm surprised that Chiaki Kon still has a job. These characters aren't characters, they're caricatures. There's just no emotional resonance to anything.

I was actually laughing at the first twilight because the movements were just so exaggerated and there really wasn't any reason to care about any of the victims or the survivors. Someone should inform Studio DEEN that they shouldn't be following their Higurashi format of adapting material.

I wonder when they'll finally bring up the fact that Kyrie is not actually Battler's mother, since we should've already known this by now.
LOL yeah, because you were really attached to the characters at this point in the novel, right?

That's not true. When I was reading EP1 first twilight, I wasn't caring about the characters, not yet. I was shiting bricks. EP1 didn't have real character indepth even in the novel, aside Battler, Natsuhi and Maria. I think that they will pull of character developement when they need it. Shannon and George for example, EP2 is when they shine.

And the whole "movements are exaggerated" thing. Jeez, in the novel is exactly the same, re-read the scene please. You got the same Hideyoshi's "It's a devil, a devil!!" and Battler even screaming more than that. Ryuukishi's tales are always "over the top" in that stuff. I don't find it bad, it's supposed to be that way.
sento is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:54   Link #57
rainz
original vampire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: southeast asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sento View Post
That's not true. When I was reading EP1 first twilight, I wasn't caring about the characters, not yet. I was shiting bricks. EP1 didn't even have real character indepth even in the novel, aside Battler, Natsuhi and Maria. I think that they will pull of character developement when they need it. Shannon and George for example, EP2 is when they shine.
I couldn't agree more. And I think the anime is doing a competent enough job with developing Battler, Natsuhi and Maria, who are the most relevant ones here.
rainz is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:57   Link #58
bigemperor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
WHAT A HORRIBLE BGM THEY PUT WHEN MARIA WAS READING THE LETTER i can't believe they cut the awesome bgm from the visual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30kl0eCtbcU.
I like the episode but i think they ruin the first twilight, goldenslaugther was very badly used they cut the episode in the best part of the bgm, what a shame.
bigemperor is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:57   Link #59
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
Ended pretty much like everyone (including me) thought it would.

I myself am pleased with I-II. While the pacing of I-I was just too much to bear (even when I knew that it had to be that way because let's be honest, all the introduction the VN had would've been really boring to first time viewers in an anime), this made up for it.

Spoiler for Tagging the rest, just in case.:


Excuse my currently bad English, I haven't slept in 20 hours... going to bed now

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemperor View Post
WHAT A HORRIBLE BGM THEY PUT WHEN MARIA WAS READING THE LETTER i can't believe they cut the awesome bgm from the visual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30kl0eCtbcU.
I like the episode but i think they ruin the first twilight, goldenslaugther was very badly used they cut the episode in the best part of the bgm, what a shame.
Actually, I never liked that BGM choice in the VN... The scene was rather creepy and this piece in the VN just didn't fit imho.
Kamion is offline  
Old 2009-07-08, 16:58   Link #60
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Well I felt like shit when Shannon went to the mansion after the proposing scene and saw the golden butterflies because it was glass clear that she's gonna die after that oh so sweet proposing scene. I felt like "Oh come on! That's not fair! Let her survive with him, please~ !" And then she saw that butterfly "Aw. Damn it!! No fair, no fair, no fair!! She was just proposed to! You can't kill her! that's just unfair!"
I had a slight attachment to her. she didn't had real depth yet. But she had more scenes in the VN and was sympathic. It's a shame that she died so early.

And yup I agree Kamion, Marina Inoue has an awesome scream, can't wait to hear her sob again. I really like her voice acting
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.