AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2009-07-12, 10:26   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
what are the Most popular countries aside Japan in the anime

From what I've seen, the most popular countries aside Japan in the anime:

1) France
2) Germany
3) United States
4) United Kingdom
5) China

1) France

There are more anime about France and French people than the ones about other non-Japanese countries

First of all, many events in anime Yakitate Japan and Sakura Wars 3 take place in France. In the third episode of the anime OVA Goku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, Zetsubou-sensei referred to France as the cultural heart of the world.

Some of the popular/beloved non-Japanese characters in anime are French characters including Louise de Valliere from Zero no Tsukaima and Iris Chateaubriand from Sakura Taisen.

Zero no Tsukaima's world may not be earth but Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc de La Vallière is a French name. The main female character is indeed named after a real Frenchwoman who was remembered in history as the mistress to Louis XIV of France from 1661 to 1667.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_de_La_Valli%C3%A8re

if Japanese characters would fall in love with a foreigner, they are more likely to be canonically paired with French people than with other foreigners.

Tamaki x Haruhi (Ouran Host Club)
Hiroki x Elise (Canvas 2)
Shinji Hikari x Marianne Louvre (Sei Jūshi Bismark)
Hiraga Saito x Louise de Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima)
Ichiro Ohgami x Erica Fountaine (Sakura Wars 3)

One of the earlier-known interracial relationships in the anime was the one between Japanese guy and French girl from the 1980's anime Sei Jūshi Bismark. Their names are Shinji Hikari and Marianne Louvre

There are more half-French/half-Japanese major characters than French characters in anime. And they all have French mothers and Japanese fathers.

Suou Tamaki (Ouran Host Club)
Elise Housen (Canvas 2)
Christine Hanakomachi (Daa! Daa! Daa!)
Sophie Kirisaki (Yakitate! Japan)
Meister Kirisaki (Yakitate! Japan)
Tōichirō Kanae (Maria Holic)

2) Germany

Germany seems to be very popular as France in the country of Japan. For example some anime and manga such as Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, Rozen Maiden and Brocken Blood (only exists as a manga) contain cultural references related to Germany. Also, some of the manga such as Adolf and anime take place in Germany.

I am under impression that the Japanese mangaka and people are interested in Germany. That is not surprising considering the Japanese would relate and compare their cultural values such as politeness, courtesy, hard-workingness, honor, diligence and deference to older people (seniors, mentors and elders) to the German virtues such as protestant work ethics, perfect organization, discipline, integrity, rule of law, sacrifice, obedience to authority, reliability, honesty, frugality, punctuality, modesty, and diligence.

In Fate/Stay Night Rin Tohsaka speaks German words for the purpose of reciting her magic spells.

3) America

In some anime including Blood+ and Yakitate! Japan, America is shown in a somewhat stereotypical or negative image, but is also depicted positively in other anime such as Chrono Crusade.

While the female foreign members of the harem anime (Ai Yori Aoshi) are usually Americans, the protagonist's default girlfriend is usually Japanese.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 03:44   Link #2
Kudryavka

Well, as far as being related to Germany goes, Japan and Germany do go way back - they made an alliance back in WWII, but I can't remember what it was called right now. For a time, it was basically Japan+Germany vs. the Rest of the World. Maybe that explains why Germany is prominent in anime?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 05:41   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok View Post
Zero no Tsukaima's world may not be earth but Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc de La Vallière is a French name. The main female character is indeed named after a real Frenchwoman who was remembered in history as the mistress to Louis XIV of France from 1661 to 1667.
I'm pretty sure Tristain is the equivilent of Belgium, not France. There's a nation called Gallia, which I'm pretty certain is derived from Gaul, making that one the equivilent of France.
Old 2009-07-14, 07:13   Link #4
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
There are tons of anime fans in the Philippines. Heck, there's even a club for anime lovers in our university. There's even a channel here for Filipino dubbed anime.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:20   Link #5
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I think the question is about what countries appear in anime more than others.

And there are anime clubs in a lot of universities around the world.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:49   Link #6
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Well, as far as being related to Germany goes, Japan and Germany do go way back - they made an alliance back in WWII, but I can't remember what it was called right now. For a time, it was basically Japan+Germany vs. the Rest of the World. Maybe that explains why Germany is prominent in anime?
The Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis, or the Axis powers. Of the three countries, Germany and Japan are the stronger ones.

Germany and Japan do share some similarities. Both modernised economically while keeping a tight grip on democracy. The military's prestige in both countries were high before the Second World War, and were humbled after the war.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:56   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Why say besides Japan? They never focus on real Japanese people as we can see with all the different colered hair people who have large eyes. The Japanese don't seem to like to make anime characters that actually look at all like Japanese people, so I say they are never really about Japanese people in general. It's almost like self-hate.

Well to really answer the question in the manner intended... I'd have to say Germany is very popular in animes. Asuka from Eva, the nazis in Black Lagoon, the entire series of Monster, and just in general there are a lot of transfer students from this particular European country.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:59   Link #8
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Reckoner: You're right. The sub-culture surrounding anime and manga was initially seen as a non-mainstream culture. Even today, you're still more likely than not to be looked down upon by the Japanese if you admit to being a hardcore anime/manga fan, and this is already better than the situation 10 years ago.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 06:40   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Why say besides Japan? They never focus on real Japanese people as we can see with all the different colered hair people who have large eyes. The Japanese don't seem to like to make anime characters that actually look at all like Japanese people, so I say they are never really about Japanese people in general. It's almost like self-hate.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Maybe not for fantasy anime, but most other anime clearly take place in Japan with Japanese people with Japanese names acting in a Japanese cultural manner. As for physical appearance, it's just an art form with stylized appearances. I suppose most of the population has the same physical traits, one can see why animation tries purposefully to add variety.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 08:38   Link #10
4Tran

Quote:
Not quite. Japan's fascination with Germany began way back when it was still just Prussia - just as schoolgirl uniforms were patterned after British sailor uniforms, Japanese schoolboy uniforms were patterned after Prussian army uniforms. The reason for this is probably that Prussia/Germany began its unification process and rise to prominence around the same time as the Meiji Restoration, and so they could be thought of as comrades of a sort. Note that this wasn't restricted to just Japan - in the aftermath of Prussia's stunning victory in the Franco-Prussian War, a lot of countries around the world started copying a lot of ideas from the Prussian military. It got to the point where many countries adopted the distinctive Prussian spike on top of their infantryman headwear.

Japan's modern fascination with Germany is a bit more complicated: there are definite echoes of being allied in World War II, but it also extends to the fact that they were both occupied by the Allied powers, and that they faced similar challenges in the post-war period. I get the feeling that a lot of the anime German references are borne of Nazi chic and fetishism as well.

It's sort of interesting that there really aren't that many anime that either take place in Germany or use German non-scientist characters unless it's some sort of international show. France (and to a lesser extent, Britain) tend to be more likely to be used for that.

Quote:
By the same token, we can also say that Americans don't tend to make cartoons that look like Americans, so I think that you're way off-base here. The reason for the big eye-look is derived from Western cartoons, and the use of different-colored hair comes from the limitations of manga to anime adaptations. These origins are well documented, and there is no need to resort to wild theories about "self-hate".
Old 2009-07-15, 11:48   Link #11
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
By the same token, we can also say that Americans don't tend to make cartoons that look like Americans, so I think that you're way off-base here. The reason for the big eye-look is derived from Western cartoons, and the use of different-colored hair comes from the limitations of manga to anime adaptations. These origins are well documented, and there is no need to resort to wild theories about "self-hate".
I just find it funny that a tyle American cartoon may look like this:

Spoiler:

While a Japanese cartoon may look like this:

Spoiler:

One clearly exemplifies characters with an American feel, while if I never saw anime in my own life and saw that image for the first time, I probably could not link that to Japanese culture.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 13:53   Link #12
4Tran

Quote:
One clearly exemplifies characters with an American feel, while if I never saw anime in my own life and saw that image for the first time, I probably could not link that to Japanese culture.
If I had never watched Western cartoons, I wouldn't link the Family Guy image to American culture either. In fact, I'd say that the Family Guy art resembles human beings a lot less than the Kanon art. I'm not sure what point you're trying to establish here. Now can we get back to the topic of the thread?
Old 2009-07-15, 18:34   Link #13
Kudryavka

Getting back on topic, ahem...
Are North and/or South Korea popular countries in anime? Seeing as how the Koreas and Japan have a history together. I remember this one Korean girl from Kamichama Karin.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:22   Link #14
Hikari no Clover

Send a message via MSN to Hikari no Clover
China, according to population rate
Hikari no Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 19:41   Link #15
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari no Clover View Post
How does population rate relate to popularity in a different country's media?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-07-15 at 21:11.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:56   Link #16
4Tran

Quote:
Getting back on topic, ahem...
Are North and/or South Korea popular countries in anime? Seeing as how the Koreas and Japan have a history together. I remember this one Korean girl from Kamichama Karin.
Korea is currently extremely unpopular in anime. It used to be more common, but there was an ugly backlash from South Korea over the depiction of Koreans in Hikaru no Go, and it's been greatly dampened ever since then. Japan-Korean relations took another hit over the depiction of Korea in the Hetalia Axis Powers manga (leading to the cancellation of the TV broadcast of its anime), and it's probably at its lowest ebb yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari no Clover View Post
On a historical level, yes, that's absolutely correct (although due to cultural and political dominance than because of population). A lot of the cultural baggage of Japan can find its roots in China, and there are a fair number of anime that take place either there, or in a China that never was (Fushigi Yugi, Twelve Kingdoms, Saiungoku Monogatari, etc.). Modern China and Chinese characters are seen far less often, however.
Old 2009-07-15, 21:15   Link #17
npcomplete

Quote:
A lot of the cultural baggage of Japan can find its roots in China
not to mention language baggage.. Kanji *cough*
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 00:42   Link #18
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Korea is currently extremely unpopular in anime. It used to be more common, but there was an ugly backlash from South Korea over the depiction of Koreans in Hikaru no Go, and it's been greatly dampened ever since then. Japan-Korean relations took another hit over the depiction of Korea in the Hetalia Axis Powers manga (leading to the cancellation of the TV broadcast of its anime), and it's probably at its lowest ebb yet.
I never understood what was wrong with the depiction of Koreans in Hikar no Go, I didn't have any problem watching it.
Old 2009-07-16, 11:50   Link #19
Shadow Kira01

China has been appearing in lots of popular animes..

A few to list..

CANAAN
Code Geass
Code Geass R2
Darker than Black
Gundam Wing
Macross Frontier

The main reason as to why China has been appearing in lots of animes is that they also took part in the production as that huge list of Chinese individual and company names always appear in the credits roll. Thus, its not that it is a popular country but rather that they had invested quite a lot of money into Japan's anime industry.

This sort of action may be considered as wasteful spending on the same level as how the Aso Cabinet plans on building an anime museum but for China's propaganda division, every cent of investment on influential products is most likely worth it. China appears in almost every mecha story with their own set of mobile suits and policies. It is most obvious in the Code Geass and Gundam series.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-07-16 at 11:54. Reason: fixed.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 18:37   Link #20
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
China: Cooking master boy, Kuu fei from Negima

Germany: Asuka (Neon Genesis Evangelion) is part German. And lots of Nazi cosplayers XD.

US: Patricia Martin, the Guile that got ran over by Konata, Monica (from Yakitake! Japan), Genshiken

Few mentioned countries:
- Russia: A few Russians in Nogizawa Haruka
- Philippines: Samurai X (only mentioned on a map).
- France: not so much aside from French bread (actually I haven't watched french stuff so much in the anime)

@FragrantFlora: Although the number of fans are smaller... (I wouldn't see an Akiba-like place anyway)

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote