AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 38 20.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 33.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 22.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 12.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-19, 09:28   Link #201
chrno
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Age: 44
Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
For me adapting things from VN is always difficult. Umineko is alright compare to how they used to screw Fate/Stay Night VN (that's not Shirou I know!!!). It's not perfect, but it's still above mediocre rate.

Sigh, I guess, as a Type-Moon fan, the VN that got screwed so much in anime adaptation, is Tsukihime (does it exist?)
Understandable. I've read reviews from bloggers who were huge fans of VNs. And how they hated the animated version because it wasn't 100% true to it's source. Though that feeling doesn't hold with those who've never played them. But it is always interesting to look back and see what was missed. Which is why I want avoid any additional info on 'Umineko' until I've finished series. I wouldn't mind reading whatever portion of the chapters that were covered in the series. This way it doesn't spoil anything for me.

I also read a small review from a past issue of 'NTUSA' on 'Fate/Stay Night' where they had mentioned that 'Type-Moon' did help a bit on the scripting, but mostly for the OP. Sure it's not perfect. But again 'Type-Moon's work is immense as you know. Especially 'Tsukihime'. I found that out from a devoted fansite. So adapting it exactly would take more episodes to cover. It would be nice if we could get everything. But for those that have already played the games, they already know the story. As for the anime it's just them wanting to adapt what's popular at the time. And at least trying do a fairly decent job.

I really would love to see what goes into making 'VNs'. I hear so much about them and how deep they are.
__________________
Currently watching - 'Kill la Kill'

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 09:34   Link #202
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Just a guess but probably everyone except Battler are already used to it.

In fact Hideyoshi asked Maria if she could recognize the magic circle, which means it was a very known fact that Maria was in that sort of things, and seeing as she always gets that "demonic" when she is in the position of teaching others about magic, they have probably witnessed such behaviour before.
Yeah, since she also pulled out those charms in the first episode. She may very well have an interest in the occult. Is this something touched upon in the VN that was sacrificed for anime pacing? Still, channeling a formless witch who lives in the woods is creepy stuff.

But hey, I grin with joy every time Maria flips out, so I'm not in a position to expect a reasonable reaction from the characters.
Ikonomi is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 10:15   Link #203
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
No I don't think the novel gave more insight on that matter at that point of the story, that's why I said that I was guessing it.

The part that was skipped is when Battler discusses the double personality of Maria with the other cousins, but that happens later after the kitchen scene.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 10:21   Link #204
Oekitarts
Oppai Sommelier
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manila
Age: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to Oekitarts
You know... there's always the next arc. XD
I mean, in arc 2, they could skip the introductions and put in all the missing stuff.
Oekitarts is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 10:47   Link #205
chounokoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DŘsseldorf, Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to chounokoe Send a message via Skype™ to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonomi View Post
Yeah, since she also pulled out those charms in the first episode. She may very well have an interest in the occult. Is this something touched upon in the VN that was sacrificed for anime pacing? Still, channeling a formless witch who lives in the woods is creepy stuff.

But hey, I grin with joy every time Maria flips out, so I'm not in a position to expect a reasonable reaction from the characters.
Well it was touched in the VN until this point, that Maria was the only one in the family who was as much into the occult and black magic as Kinz˘.
She loves witches and believes in them with childish intensity, she reads everything about that topic she can get and, having a great memory as it seems, she's able to memorize even the smallest details.

So it is very well possible, that Maria has been like that for quite some time and everyone has gotten used to it, yes.
__________________
愛が無ければ・・・視えない!!
chounokoe is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 10:56   Link #206
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
But that much was shown in the anime as well.

And you are wrong about the memory, that's not what the novel says at that point. Maria says she wrote down the epitaph on her notebook because she tends to forget stuff.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 12:23   Link #207
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 25
It could be a lie or something that applies only to "normal Maria", though.
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 14:57   Link #208
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Ahah Maria ftw . Another mystery , how the grandfather escaped his room . Natsuhi with her shotgun XD . Well , its not very entertaining as Higurashi but still viewable .
How many episodes ? because there are 8 deads now . Its fast
-Sho- is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 15:01   Link #209
June 1983
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warwick, RI
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Ahah Maria ftw . Another mystery , how the grandfather escaped his room . Natsuhi with her shotgun XD . Well , its not very entertaining as Higurashi but still viewable .
How many episodes ? because there are 8 deads now . Its fast
There are 26 episodes total in the first season, and two more episodes left of the first "arc".
June 1983 is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 15:01   Link #210
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portugal, Lisbon
Age: 23
26 episodes... and don't judge umineko yet - the fun starts at ep. 5 x)

edit: Ah June beat me to it
__________________
SOTM 2011 February -
- Couples <3


____________________

vandakiara's attic ~
pwease visit :3


____________________


Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 16:45   Link #211
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Wow wow wow , so there are many arc and the first is with the heritage . The second arc will be with others characters also ? because i don't see 26 episodes with just "The heritage" thing and the treasure hunt ...
-Sho- is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 16:51   Link #212
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Just watch^^ there will be more than enough stuff to enjoy
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 16:51   Link #213
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portugal, Lisbon
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Wow wow wow , so there are many arc and the first is with the heritage . The second arc will be with others characters also ? because i don't see 26 episodes with just "The heritage" thing and the treasure hunt ...
*apparently it may be considered as spoiler so I erased it* - just wait and see I don't want to spoil you

edit: why am I always beaten? D:
__________________
SOTM 2011 February -
- Couples <3


____________________

vandakiara's attic ~
pwease visit :3


____________________


Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 16:58   Link #214
-Sho-
~Omedet˘~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Lol ok i understand ^^ yeah i'll keep watching . Get more suspense
-Sho- is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 18:26   Link #215
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
If you call it "arc" it's confusing, because an "arc" is supposed to be a cluster of "Episodes", similarly to higurashi that had the question arc (4 episodes) and the answer arc (4 episodes).

But I guess that even if you call them with they right name "Episode" it is still confusing...
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 18:53   Link #216
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Actually, no. It was always the 'question arcs' and 'answer arcs'.
Just to keep things simple. It's a much less confusing word than 'Episode', to be honest.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 18:57   Link #217
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Uhm really? I stand corrected...
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 19:38   Link #218
June 1983
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Warwick, RI
Age: 31
Yeah, I've always heard it referred to in the plural, as well.

I wish Ryukishi had named the chapters "Cantos" in Umineko. It would be fitting! And less confusing than "Episodes".
June 1983 is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 19:43   Link #219
Lio
Presence
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaya
For me adapting things from VN is always difficult. Umineko is alright compare to how they used to screw Fate/Stay Night VN (that's not Shirou I know!!!). It's not perfect, but it's still above mediocre rate.

Sigh, I guess, as a Type-Moon fan, the VN that got screwed so much in anime adaptation, is Tsukihime (does it exist?)
Understandable. I've read reviews from bloggers who were huge fans of VNs. And how they hated the animated version because it wasn't 100% true to it's source. Though that feeling doesn't hold with those who've never played them. But it is always interesting to look back and see what was missed. Which is why I want avoid any additional info on 'Umineko' until I've finished series. I wouldn't mind reading whatever portion of the chapters that were covered in the series. This way it doesn't spoil anything for me.

I also read a small review from a past issue of 'NTUSA' on 'Fate/Stay Night' where they had mentioned that 'Type-Moon' did help a bit on the scripting, but mostly for the OP. Sure it's not perfect. But again 'Type-Moon's work is immense as you know. Especially 'Tsukihime'. I found that out from a devoted fansite. So adapting it exactly would take more episodes to cover. It would be nice if we could get everything. But for those that have already played the games, they already know the story. As for the anime it's just them wanting to adapt what's popular at the time. And at least trying do a fairly decent job.

I really would love to see what goes into making 'VNs'. I hear so much about them and how deep they are.
The medium is different - some things that work in a visual novel doesn't work in anime format. That's why they call them adaptations.

Readers and watchers want different things. Readers enjoy how the graphics, sound, and music support the writing to enrich the reading. Watchers want an experience where the everything merges into one and presented as a good show. Readers want a more cerebral experience - they want the details. Watchers want the show - to just sit back and absorb.

I read and watched both Tsukihime and F/SN. Yeah they completely changed Tsukihime and left out a bunch of details, but the show focused on the presentation of the drama instead of the deep intricate story, and they did it perfectly. Sometimes, leaving out details work better in anime. For F/SN they decided to focus on the Fate-route feel, and the rest is just presentation for watchers. They did it well and I enjoyed it. Also, the VN doesn't have Kawai Kenji music!

So "The book was better!" and "Books are too long and boring" are both flawed. It's subjective.
Lio is offline  
Old 2009-07-19, 20:22   Link #220
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
I mean, looking at adaptions of some light novels, manga etc. that are not even the size of what the When they Cry universe is and seeing how much they screwed up there....I think they are doing a rather good job.
Ignoring the omissions and lack of atmosphere, the first two episodes of Umineko are very poor from any film-making perspective (the worst I've personally seen all year). They're loaded with disjointed transitions from one scene to the next, and there's almost no buildup toward the big surprises. That's one reason why VN readers are particularly disappointed - since they know the story already, the massive flaws are the only things that stand out.

Nevertheless, Ep. 3 is a marked improvement.
TJR is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.